FORUMS

[5.0.2] [EOL] [Weekly 10/Nightly] [2015-04-01] CyanogenMod 12 for i9300

8,740 posts
Thanks Meter: 38,924
 
By JustArchi, Inactive Recognized Developer on 12th November 2014, 05:55 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th January 2015, 03:13 AM |#5521  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 115
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk3l3t0r

Hi all,

Gave this ROM a go back at beta 2 and had it running nicely until everything stopped working a few days in. After a bit of a break I decided to try go with beta 6.

Everything is working very nicely apart from play services keep crashing and play store won't connect so I can't use it. Tried to re-install both play services and play store to see if it helps but still same issues. Any other ideas? I searched the whole thread and couldn't find anything useful.

Admittedly it was a dirty flash from cm11 M12 as I could not be bothered backing everything up and re-installing, which is what I did with beta 2. I did however clear dalvik pre install.

Cheers in advance

As always said, if you are experiencing issues that no one else has, it's probably a bad installation. It's recommended to do a full wipe before install
12th January 2015, 03:33 AM |#5522  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgood

As always said, if you are experiencing issues that no one else has, it's probably a bad installation. It's recommended to do a full wipe before install

yea it looks like its heading that way. mobile network/data crapped out as well and to top it all off, the nandroid backup I made 2 weeks ago now has a mismatching md5 sum so its all from scratch. YAY
12th January 2015, 03:42 AM |#5523  
JustArchi's Avatar
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Warsaw
Thanks Meter: 38,924
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk3l3t0r

Hi all,

Gave this ROM a go back at beta 2 and had it running nicely until everything stopped working a few days in. After a bit of a break I decided to try go with beta 6.

Everything is working very nicely apart from play services keep crashing and play store won't connect so I can't use it. Tried to re-install both play services and play store to see if it helps but still same issues. Any other ideas? I searched the whole thread and couldn't find anything useful.

Admittedly it was a dirty flash from cm11 M12 as I could not be bothered backing everything up and re-installing, which is what I did with beta 2. I did however clear dalvik pre install.

Cheers in advance

The problem of people nowadays is the fact that they destroy their own system intentionally, then blame the ROM for all their problems.

If we look at google services for example, what are they? A bunch of closed-source apps that SHOULD work on android platform. Now if they don't work, it's a problem of android platform, or application itself. If CM12 is based purely on Android - AOSP, and google app doesn't work as it should, then it means that the problem is in poorly designed app, which is not possible to work under certain circumstances and flaws on specific android platform. Android is not perfect, it may look like it works, but it's just a thousand of pieces glued all together, if something breaks, everything will ruin.

Some people blindly restore their apps and data from other systems, and they can't see any problem with it. Poorly designed app may not work properly with data that was created BEFORE certain update was introduced. If Lollipop introduced a new way of doing something, and application is doing this thing in old way, which is incompatible or at least not fully compatible with the new way, it IS gonna break, sooner or later.

We're not fixing android here, we're not fixing the framework, we're not fixing the android runtime. We are fixing android's support for i9300 device. Long sms issue was related directly to the RIL, it didn't work, because our RIL had exactly the same problem as incompatible app has - it worked the old way, and didn't want to work in a new way. What we did? We added a workaround number #72381128293 that fixes the issue by implementing a new way that utilizes the old working way, making certain thing work in new environment.

i9300 does NOT support android platform well. It never did, because Samsung's policy denies any developer like me access to their proprietary sources that include the support for their platform. It's like working with a big blackbox, you put a cup in the front, and you get a cup of coffee from the back. You have no idea what is happening in between, you have input and the output. Now, when it works, it's nice, we're getting the effect we want, alright? The problem is when it doesn't work. We put a cup in the front, but the cup is too small and black box isn't working properly for it, so we get empty broken cup as the result, which is not the cup of coffee we want.

There is no software that is flawless. Software is designed and written by humans, humans are making mistakes. Even Google fuc*ed up their early lollipop release for their own devices - nexuses, which had various memory leaks, didn't work stable enough, and even wi-fi had several problems. You can say "well, it doesn't happen on iOS or windows phone...", you're wrong. Every operating system has it's problems, the question is how well they can hide them from the users, or catch the exceptions and handle them without interruptions. Developers design software that should work properly on certain hardware. If you know how certain hardware works, it's easier to spot problems, fix them in proper way, and make software run better. When you don't know how hardware works, you have no documentation and all you have is black box with the input at front and the output at back, fixing anything in proper way is impossible, and all your fixes are usually either workarounds or hacks, to make broken things work, without understanding what was broken in the first place.

This is the case with i9300. Some great developers such as Paul Kocialkowski reverse-engineered some parts of the black box, allowing us to fix it or modify as we please, but big majority of things that we need are impossible to reverse-engineer, due to complexity. For example MALI blobs or a modem. If google suddenly changed the way Android utilizes the GPU, making old blobs not working properly, we had no idea how to workaround/hack it, and Samsung didn't release new "blackbox" to fix this problem, we would have NEVER make working release. There are certain things that must stay the same to make support for certain device. If something changes, like RIL, it's the question how fast, and if, we will spot the issue and fix it. There are no assumptions, you can't assume that everything will be fixed at some point, because this statement is already false with samsung's policy - things like screen mirroring, support for Samsung's TVs and certain other highly-proprietary things will never work, until Samsung's policy changes. It's not like they can't work, they certainly do, the problem is that there is no developer that will even TRY to make it work, because the amount of knowledge and catch-and-try fun is too damn high to finish in the next couple of years.

Take a look at me for example. I started having fun with my sammy-based ArchiDroid around 2 years ago. This is not much, look at my join date, it's march 2013. Since then I learnt much how Android works, how badly is our device supported, how to make things a little easier. I spent much time on that, I managed to make one of the most popular ROMs up to this point for i9300 (ArchiDroid), this is much in terms of things that you can do in 2 years, especially, because I didn't know much about Android when I was starting the fun.

The more you know, the less time you have. I barely can find time for developing for i9300 these days, and I'm sure that I won't find any time when I change the phone, as my old LG E610 is waiting for kitkat since last year, and I managed to compile only TWRP since then. You know that this release wouldn't been possible without help of @Moster2, as he is the boss here working on support for i9300 right now. I'm sad that there are only three developers left for i9300, and I'm the one of them.

Quoting Dhiru: By the time we fix hwcomposer and other core things to make proper support for i9300, people are going to change their phones already. If you want an advice from me, stay away from Samsung, don't support their "we-don't-care" policy regarding development. Take a look at many other companies that do make quality phones and care about the developer, Sony, LG, and Google (Nexuses) are only some noticable examples. I don't know when I'm going to change my phone, but it won't be a samsung for sure.
The Following 132 Users Say Thank You to JustArchi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JustArchi Ad-Free
12th January 2015, 04:12 AM |#5524  
theori1's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Istanbul
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:

Guys whats the default DP for the I9300???

320
12th January 2015, 04:36 AM |#5525  
CyberianIce's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Novi Sad
Thanks Meter: 129
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk3l3t0r

Hi all,

Gave this ROM a go back at beta 2 and had it running nicely until everything stopped working a few days in. After a bit of a break I decided to try go with beta 6.

Everything is working very nicely apart from play services keep crashing and play store won't connect so I can't use it. Tried to re-install both play services and play store to see if it helps but still same issues. Any other ideas? I searched the whole thread and couldn't find anything useful.

Admittedly it was a dirty flash from cm11 M12 as I could not be bothered backing everything up and re-installing, which is what I did with beta 2. I did however clear dalvik pre install.

Cheers in advance

You can not do dirty install from KitKat to LolliPop especially due to different gapps. CM will try to backup KK gapps during CM12 install which are not good anymore and that is what cause yiur FCs. On clean install everything works and only component showing FC from time to time is AudioFX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD567

Guys whats the default DP for the I9300???

320
The Following User Says Thank You to CyberianIce For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CyberianIce Ad-Free
12th January 2015, 04:58 AM |#5526  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 44
 
More
Just install Beta 6 and no doubt it is very nice & stable release. Every thing is working as it should be. However, I have noted a small bug in Messaging Application. Group messaging is not working. Whenever, I want to send message to a predefined group, I get the message "Unfortunately, Messaging has stopped". I have tried with small group of four members to large group and the result is the same. However, if group members are selected individually, it is OK. Also note that group messaging was working fine in Beta 5. So may be it has something to do with long SMS fix that is added in this ROM.
12th January 2015, 05:48 AM |#5527  
CyberianIce's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Novi Sad
Thanks Meter: 129
 
Donate to Me
More
Anyone knows how to disable pinned app (LP screen pinning)? I do not have "Overview" button for long press, but calling recent apps with long press home key instead :/
The Following User Says Thank You to CyberianIce For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CyberianIce Ad-Free
12th January 2015, 05:49 AM |#5528  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
True Words JustArchi!
The Following User Says Thank You to bootmaker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bootmaker Ad-Free
12th January 2015, 05:55 AM |#5529  
Senior Member
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 106
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberianIce

Anyone knows how to disable pinned app (LP screen pinning)? I do not have "Overview" button for long press, but calling recent apps with long press home key instead :/

Enable navigation keys..
12th January 2015, 05:56 AM |#5530  
CyberianIce's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Novi Sad
Thanks Meter: 129
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaagarwal1

Enable navigation keys..

Any workaround not requiring double controls?
12th January 2015, 06:04 AM |#5531  
Senior Member
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 106
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberianIce

Any workaround not requiring double controls?

I am not familiar with.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes