FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Is ur Black Perfect & Deep,OR, is it Extremely Dark,but like Very Dark Gray!

Hell yeah, its a perfect true-born Super Amoled !

24 Vote(s)
31.58%
Damn , its not perfect :(

52 Vote(s)
68.42%

Black Level Color Depth not Deep Enough ?????

596 posts
Thanks Meter: 72

Post Reply Email Thread
Hey There..

just got my s3 a few days ago, pebble blue vietnam june batch..

Ok now there has been a lot of discussion regarding screen issues like:

1. Tints
2. Ink spots/blothces
3. Black Crush
4. Black/other color Clipping
5. Depth of Black level

I dont have problem 1... Just 2-3 tiny ink spots, so even problem 2 is negligble....i dont have problem 3 and its can be tweaked with software even if one has it..problem 4 i dont care about much...

So, my area of concern is the 5th problem, i.e when compared to an sgs2 or sgs1 , i find that the black levels are not as deep and super black as the former two phones !

Its not really noticable in normal lighting..please check the following in a very dark room or completely dark room...

Using a pure black wallpaper (attached below or use ur own true black wallpaper) , just open it in gallery, it seems extremely dark grey (almost black) and u can tell where the display meets the bezel...

well, even on sgs2 n sgs1 on pure black background, u could see a little backlight, so not perfect black, which is understandable....so here is where the main problem comes...read below..

on a sgs2 or sgs1, When there is text or icons or other stuff over a pure black backgorund, this time the blacks appear black (obviously its due to contrast difference producing the illusion of super black) and one cannot tell where the screen border ends n the bezel starts, it just blends due to the super blacks! This is what i love and want !!

However, this is not the case with my sgs3, the damned blacks still are not perfect black & i can see where the screen borders end and distinguish the bezel & the screen , they dont blend beautifully!

to experience this, in a dark room, on any brightness level, preferably test at 30% screen brightness cause thats what we normally tend to use indoors, atleast i do...

please use this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJO88Qhxwv4
(Thanks Tinderbox UK for the link)

or

play and high quality Dexter(Serial) video and see the part right before the intro theme where it says “SHOWTIME presents” (in white text) over a black blackground...

or

In youtube app when any video loads n the black screen comes with loading circle

or

use the pure black wallpaper with few icons on ur homescreen...

in the above cases, u should see pure black and u should not be able to tell where the screen n bezel borders meet..which is what u get on sgs1 n sgs2 screens..and i dont get this result on my sgs3 :(

On sgs3, its almost black, but u can notice its very slightly gray ! so this is annoying to me since im so used to it appearing deeep black on the sgs1 n sgs2 !

--- So now what i need u guys to tell me is whether most sgs3 panels have this issue or is it just me ???

--- Will software tweaks like Supercurios upcoming “Display Expert” solve it by adding some black color depth adjustment ??

--- Should i take this to the Service Center? but prob is how will i show them the problem in a bright environment ?? and what if they tell me that the super amoled HD variant for the sgs3 is a new tech n differnt from the sgs1 n sgs2 screens and hence not as deep blacks ??

I WANT BLACK man !! i LOVED SuperAmoled cause if JET BLACK !! Help please!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pure_black.jpg
Views:	1421
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	1176542  
The Following User Says Thank You to zyryn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zyryn Ad-Free
4th July 2012, 03:37 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Madurai-Chennai
Thanks Meter: 7,076

Donate to Me
More
this has been already experienced by many and so far none of the display experts has answered it or havent found the answer yet. in pitch dark environment the screen will look greyish black rather than pure black. i had the same on my s2 too but with a lesser margin.
The Following User Says Thank You to bala_gamer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bala_gamer Ad-Free
4th July 2012, 03:45 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Versova, Mumbai

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala_gamer

this has been already experienced by many and so far none of the display experts has answered it or havent found the answer yet. in pitch dark environment the screen will look greyish black rather than pure black. i had the same on my s2 too but with a lesser margin.

hey Bala thnx fr replying, but wht im saying is tht, in ur gs3, dont u think its more grayish ?? iv listed the different conditions ...can u check n see?? im not talking about a plain pure black bckground which i agree is a lil grayish n is normal, but im talking bout black with other content on the screen....due to contrast differences n other colors from the non-black content, the black appears actual black as i had in sgs1 n sgs2, but in sgs3, it still does not Appear deep black
4th July 2012, 04:01 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Madurai-Chennai

Donate to Me
More
i dont thinks so mate, apart from the overall greyishness in full black conditions, i feel the blacks are good enough in images,video etc.

One more thing ,the feel of greyish black in pitch dark conditions may also be due to the fact that the screen border is dead black which makes us feel that the screen is not black enough. sgs2 didnt had this screen border afaik.
4th July 2012, 04:01 PM |#5  
Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 152

More
Are you looking at your phone the right way. You should be looking it at like this:

4th July 2012, 04:09 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Versova, Mumbai

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala_gamer

i dont thinks so mate, apart from the overall greyishness in full black conditions, i feel the blacks are good enough in images,video etc.

One more thing ,the feel of greyish black in pitch dark conditions may also be due to the fact that the screen border is dead black which makes us feel that the screen is not black enough. sgs2 didnt had this screen border afaik.

Yes it is good enuf, but after seeing it much more black on sgs1 n 2, i just cant seem to ignore this trivial issue....hmmm, maybe u have a point there about tht black border, its present all the time right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman89

Are you looking at your phone the right way. You should be looking it at like this:

Man, i tried this Leo Style already, didnt work ...now tell me about ur phone...is it perfect in giving true blacks ?
4th July 2012, 04:11 PM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Madurai-Chennai

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyryn

Yes it is good enuf, but after seeing it much more black on sgs1 n 2, i just cant seem to ignore this trivial issue....hmmm, maybe u have a point there about tht black border, its present all the time right ?

the black border is there always, you can see it from the home screen itself
The Following User Says Thank You to bala_gamer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bala_gamer Ad-Free
4th July 2012, 08:16 PM |#8  
Flag Québec
Thanks Meter: 35

More
I am having the exact same issue (or experiencing the exact same ''feature'') What i mean by this is that my SGS2 was pretty much pitch black, this one, not so much, I don't believe it's a ''problem'' though... probably made this way, although I REALLY liked the JET BLACK of the previous Super Amoleds...
4th July 2012, 08:46 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Versova, Mumbai

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simondadiamond

I am having the exact same issue (or experiencing the exact same ''feature'') What i mean by this is that my SGS2 was pretty much pitch black, this one, not so much, I don't believe it's a ''problem'' though... probably made this way, although I REALLY liked the JET BLACK of the previous Super Amoleds...

yes i really wish the previous experience was there....but some ppl are saying they have real blacks with their sgs3 panels also...so i was wondering if its only for a certain batch of phones...

I want some big name devs to comment on this..if its software related n can be improved...then i wont fret about it so much...

some users in gnex forums said that maybe the voltage levels to the the 720p HD screens are lil higher and hence maybe the blacks are not completely dim, n emitting a lil light..

dam, i want some expert analysis on this !!
4th July 2012, 09:12 PM |#10  
Flag Halong Bay
Thanks Meter: 904

More
Depend on your way using smartphone . With me, almost time not using in dark inviroment, so I please with S3 screen .

Of course, display poor black in dark inviroment will be like dark/black gray . S1 seem better
The Following User Says Thank You to Zanr Zij For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zanr Zij Ad-Free
4th July 2012, 09:31 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Versova, Mumbai

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanr Zij

Depend on your way using smartphone . With me, almost time not using in dark inviroment, so I please with S3 screen .

Of course, display poor black in dark inviroment will be like dark/black gray . S1 seem better

Yeah it's no problem in normal lighting....
...dam so even you feel the difference in the dark...cool

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
black, blacks not black, display, not deep, screen

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)