FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Google Chrome - suspend_backoff kernel wakelock

533 posts
Thanks Meter: 274

By Razertje, Senior Member on 30th June 2012, 09:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Just a quick warning, since installing Google Chrome on my S3 I'm constantly having a suspend_backoff kernel wakelock. This wakelock isn't in BetterBatteryStats untill you launch Google Chrome and exit it. Turn of your screen for half an hour or so and check back in BetterBatteryStats, you now will see the suspend_backoff kernel wakelock for the whole screen off time. Taken me a whole Saturday to find out it was Google Chrome causing this issue, so just a quick warning. I don't know if you guys have the same issue, but it's worth a check because it kills your battery.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Razertje For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Razertje Ad-Free

1st July 2012, 08:22 PM |#2  
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 139

More
Thumbs up
Yes agreed...

I too got this bug n after removing Google Chrome everything seems back to normal...

Thanks for sharing this information..
1st July 2012, 10:40 PM |#3  
Flag West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 319

More
I had this exact same problem with Chrome Beta, but the latest version (the first non-beta) seems to be fixed. No more wakelock issues and battery drain.
2nd July 2012, 07:15 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
I have the same issue with my SGS2.

Currently I'm on the latest google chrome, the non-beta one, and I still have this issue. Completely drained my battery overnight.

How do you guys know suspend_backoff is related to chrome?
2nd July 2012, 08:43 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 274

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosheeba

I have the same issue with my SGS2.

Currently I'm on the latest google chrome, the non-beta one, and I still have this issue. Completely drained my battery overnight.

How do you guys know suspend_backoff is related to chrome?

A day of testing and deleting every app to exclude every possibility. Running Chrome results in the wakelock, deleted Chrome, ran every other app on my S3 and still no wakelock. Installed Chrome again, ran it and tada wakelock again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Razertje For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Razertje Ad-Free
2nd July 2012, 10:45 AM |#6  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 99

More
Same here, battery starts reported suspend_backoff to have kept the device awake for 5h. Drained my battery overnight. In Samsung's taskmanager google chrome was the only active application. As soon as i killed it the wakelock was released.

Shouldn't Chrome automatically close itself?
2nd July 2012, 03:30 PM |#7  
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 6

More
No issues here. Still losing 4-5% overnight (wifi on)...
2nd July 2012, 06:47 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 256

More
Oh I hope this is the source of my battery drain. So stoked on this phone except fo r the battery life!
2nd July 2012, 08:51 PM |#9  
Google Chrome is kind of crap now, the final version is pretty bad, not smooth and often fake hanging your phone.

Abandon it now...
3rd July 2012, 05:42 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 142

More
Glad I found this thread. I was having the exact same issue on my galaxy s2. I could not figure it out until I found this thread. Thanks!
3rd July 2012, 06:01 AM |#11  
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Yep I have now uninstalled Chrome to only leave the stock browser.
Battery was kind of fine but would be happier with extra juice now !

I will retry Chrome after it has been updated ...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chrome, kernel, wakelock

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)