HOW TO - 64GB exFAT SDXC card ruined by Cyanogenmod - how to get data back

Search This thread

haroonie

Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
Oh man, I had already reformatted my sd card! I was taking pictures with a 64 gig sdxc sandisk in my canon and stuck it into my Android and got a damaged sdcard msg. I put it back in my camera and it was still damaged. stupid of me to do that because according to OP i could've recovered the card without losing data.

instead, i stuck it into my camera and reformatted it to exFAT (don't remember what it was before, believe exFAT also because my canon reformatted it). with nothing on the card, then took one picture with my canon.

i seriously thought i was SOL and couldn't retrieve my old pics until I discovered PhotoRec. PhotoRec did a sector by sector scan and recovered any pictures or videos it found.. i got lucky! supports many platforms, HTH someone out there!

PhotoRec
To recover your lost digital pictures or lost files, try PhotoRec.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

djschny

Feb 20, 2008
Rochester
While these instructions did not work for me, they did give me hope and direction to proceed in other directions.

I was unable to see any of the files in /mnt/extSdCard (which is where my 64GB sdcard is on my SGS3). A pull didn't work either obviously.

I put the card in my card reader, placed it in my Mac and then loaded "Disk Utility" from there was able to do a "Verify Disk" and "Repair Disk" to get the data back.

supertomi

Mar 19, 2011
Could anybody give me a step by step solution to use such a card with cm10. I have reformated the card to fat32 And Windows can read and write it.

I can provide it via CWM and UMS to a Windows/Linux computer. But neither cwm nor cm10 can see it :(

Thanks in advance!

At least, can anybody confirm, that it works?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

supertomi

Mar 19, 2011
it works!

finally, I made it. I made a backup of my existing ROM, installed CM7, which is able to format and use a 64gb card and after that I restored CM10.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

alquimista

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles
I have noticed one thing with my new sandisk ultra 64GB (class 10, u 1) sdxc, any tweaks to increase the speed of reading/writing to the card cause Titanium Backup to throw "Batch Backup interrupted: insufficient storage space".

I have 55GB free so that wasn't the problem. And the card mounted without errors, so that wasn't the problem. I had a hunch and disabled/removed SDcard tweaks with Pimp My Rom, and all is well.

I haven't run CM for a bit now, so I don't know if there are any SDCard IO tweaks built into the rom, but if there are, remove them.

A class 10 SDXC (u1) card probably doesn't need a speed boost anyway. ;)

NOTE: This also my be why some people are having problems with their cards dying very very quickly.

Ta,
ALQI

atsgnag

Dec 16, 2012
I am writing this n00b friendly howto for anybody who will encounter similar problem that I had, since I couldn't find much info how to solve it on this forum.

Recently I have flashed CM9 and later CM10 preview on my Galaxy S3 I9300 with 64 GB Sandisk SDXC card. The card was formatted in Samsung stock ROM, so naturally, it was formatted as exFAT. CM9 and CM10 reported it as "damaged SD card", but this was expected, since open source AOSP ROMs do not support exFAT. However, when restored to original stock ROM via CWM recovery, the stock ROM was showing "damaged SD card" error, too! Not sure why this has happened - the only info I found was someone mentioning that "CM9 is known to do this on exFAT cards" on this forum.

Connecting the card (via adapter and card reader) to computer didn't help - it showed as a RAW partition, Windows was asking to format it and even reported incorrect size. Trying about 7 different open source and commercial recovery tools did not help. However, if booted to recovery mode, CWM could see the card just perfectly!

So this is how to get the data back:

1. Boot to CWM recovery mode (power off the phone, then hold Volume Up-Home-Power buttons for 5 sec)

2. When in CWM recovery mode, connect phone via USB to computer. The phone should be recognized and drivers installed (if not already).

Note: I had problems with Windows recognizing the phone in recovery mode on some PCs (only 1 out of 3 worked, actually). To solve this, installed drivers from Samsung Galaxy S3 Toolkit (first step after toolkit installation) and problem gone: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1703488

3. Run adb command (from Android SDK platform tools) to ensure that the phone is visible to operating system - it should show serial number of the device and "recovery" next to it:
adb.exe devices

4. Browse the phone to find the location of sdcard (mine was /sdcard):
adb.exe shell

Note: when first time connected to phone via "adb.exe shell", running "ls" in /sdcard directory came out empty. Had to "exit" from shell and do "adb.exe shell" again.

5. Pull the files from your device using "adb.exe pull" command:
adb.exe pull /sdcard c:\temp
replace /sdcard with your sdcard directory on the phone (if different) and c:\temp with other folder on your PC, if you wish.

That's it! After files are copied, reboot to stock ROM and reformat the card. You can now copy all data back to it from your PC!

Now I'm trying to find a way to format the card to FAT32. Seems not so straightforward with 64GB cards! :)

Sincerely,
satanxda

worked for me.
had to "mount" the sdcard folder in CWM before i could see it though...hth!!!

Choristav

Dec 25, 2012
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hey guys, just wanted to add, I used this to format my 64GB card to FAT32 and it was recognized in CM10.1 with my S3 (I9300)

Apparently I can't link it, but it's called guiformat / guiformat.exe by Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd.

Reactions: shiggins9

gdjackychen

Feb 11, 2010
GZ
With this problem you can restore data in more easily way.
Insert your SDcard in CardReader, connect to PC, run Command line (cmd) and type:
chkdsk X: /f ,
where X is your card volume name. After operations is complete, you can use you card again and NO data had been lost.

Sorry for my bad english.

Thank u very much. fixed

capitanjrfr

Sep 6, 2008
Insert your SDcard in CardReader, connect to PC, run Command line (cmd) and type:
where X is your card volume name. After operations is complete, you can use you card again and NO data had been lost.

Work's for me too thx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Reactions: supabowlkc

supabowlkc

Dec 25, 2009
Da Bronx; #5 Train, Dyre Ave
I had the same problem. From stock went to CM10, exFat got corrupted and then went back to Stock still external storage card showed as damaged.

I took the SD card out and put in adapter and then connected to PC. Then from command prompt ran chkdsk <Drive_Letter:> /f and it fixed the errors without me copying the files to PC.

Hope this helps.

The F switch did work! The other folks were also correct in the sense that the computer will first say that the card needs to be formatted. DONT BELIEVE IT!!!

just click cancel.... then follow the steps revealed by others in this post: CHKDSK X: /F

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

sjoholm35

Nov 29, 2012
This may be a stupid question, but I am in the same boat and cant get my images off my card. Does my phone have to be unlocked in order to do this? Thanks for any answers

dspot123

Feb 2, 2013
Mumbai
I need help for a similar problem....

I am writing this n00b friendly howto for anybody who will encounter similar problem that I had, since I couldn't find much info how to solve it on this forum.

Recently I have flashed CM9 and later CM10 preview on my Galaxy S3 I9300 with 64 GB Sandisk SDXC card. The card was formatted in Samsung stock ROM, so naturally, it was formatted as exFAT. CM9 and CM10 reported it as "damaged SD card", but this was expected, since open source AOSP ROMs do not support exFAT. However, when restored to original stock ROM via CWM recovery, the stock ROM was showing "damaged SD card" error, too! Not sure why this has happened - the only info I found was someone mentioning that "CM9 is known to do this on exFAT cards" on this forum.....

....That's it! After files are copied, reboot to stock ROM and reformat the card. You can now copy all data back to it from your PC!

Now I'm trying to find a way to format the card to FAT32. Seems not so straightforward with 64GB cards! :)

Sincerely,
satanxda

Hi...I'm new around here....and i came across this post while searching for help for a similar problem i'm having....
I had bought a Transcend 32 GB Micro SDHC card to use with my Galaxy Ace a few months back....Galaxy Ace was slow in accessing the card so after a few days I switched over to an 8 GB card on that phone....no problems here....2 months back i got a brand new Galaxy Note 2 and inserted the 32 GB card and started using the phone...all fine...took a lot of pics...test pics, useful pics, business pics and family pics....backed up last a month back....a few days back the card stopped working on my phone....it was not recognised on the phone, in win 7 it asks for format....tried accessing it from Ubuntu, used 5-6 pro softwares...no good...card is accessible from these softwares....it says raw data structure and shows the card as 32 MB with no files to recover.....I'm new to all this technical stuff...tried the tips from ur post....ran my phone in debug mode....used adb commands but could not really find my way around....also I've not rooted my phone and am on stock ROM....
could u or somebody in this forum pls help me out....am desperate to recover my data...

sjoholm35

Nov 29, 2012
Hi...I'm new around here....and i came across this post while searching for help for a similar problem i'm having....
I had bought a Transcend 32 GB Micro SDHC card to use with my Galaxy Ace a few months back....Galaxy Ace was slow in accessing the card so after a few days I switched over to an 8 GB card on that phone....no problems here....2 months back i got a brand new Galaxy Note 2 and inserted the 32 GB card and started using the phone...all fine...took a lot of pics...test pics, useful pics, business pics and family pics....backed up last a month back....a few days back the card stopped working on my phone....it was not recognised on the phone, in win 7 it asks for format....tried accessing it from Ubuntu, used 5-6 pro softwares...no good...card is accessible from these softwares....it says raw data structure and shows the card as 32 MB with no files to recover.....I'm new to all this technical stuff...tried the tips from ur post....ran my phone in debug mode....used adb commands but could not really find my way around....also I've not rooted my phone and am on stock ROM....
could u or somebody in this forum pls help me out....am desperate to recover my data...

I have the exact same problem. exact pretty much. I have tried using the abd pull method but it keeps telling me that I dont have an insecure boot img on my phone. I have gone through and loaded it to my phone through odin like it says, but it still keeps saying there isnt one. If anyone has any ideas to help either of us please share my card is full of my child's baby photos and im willing to try anything!!! Thank you to everyone out there

spearoid

Feb 21, 2009
I had the same problem. From stock went to CM10, exFat got corrupted and then went back to Stock still external storage card showed as damaged.

I took the SD card out and put in adapter and then connected to PC. Then from command prompt ran chkdsk <Drive_Letter:> /f and it fixed the errors without me copying the files to PC.

Hope this helps.

Thank goodness for this forum! I used the above technique....worked perfectly!
And I had tried using Acronis Disk Director to repair whatever had been damaged and I couldn't get it to fix the problem.

btemtd

Aug 8, 2012
Insert your SDcard in CardReader, connect to PC, run Command line (cmd prompt) and type:
Where the X is put your SDcard volume drive #. After operations is complete, you can use you card again and NO data had been lost.

ATTENTION GUYS:

THANKS TO THE OP FOR THE TROUBLE BUT THE BEST WAY IS THE ABOVE WAY.. FORGET THE OP WAY

WOW now that is what I call EASY... Took me 5 Seconds

Thanks... I was trying to figure out all these ADB commands and then Im like this is so annoying why did i even try CM.... So i scroll down and thank you to your post you made the recovery SO EASY.... Maybe this is what the OP should be... The ADB way is too complicated and alot more work involved

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Corny

SLver

Sep 28, 2008

Yep that's the correct way THANKS A LOT, this must be on the first page...

and again THANKS A LOT :crying:

Focus909

Sep 8, 2012
So would it be wise to use a partition progeam and format 64gb cards to Fat32 therefore not having to deal with lack of exFat support?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Recently I have flashed CM9 and later CM10 preview on my Galaxy S3 I9300 with 64 GB Sandisk SDXC card. The card was formatted in Samsung stock ROM, so naturally, it was formatted as exFAT. CM9 and CM10 reported it as "damaged SD card", but this was expected, since open source AOSP ROMs do not support exFAT. However, when restored to original stock ROM via CWM recovery, the stock ROM was showing "damaged SD card" error, too! Not sure why this has happened - the only info I found was someone mentioning that "CM9 is known to do this on exFAT cards" on this forum.

Connecting the card (via adapter and card reader) to computer didn't help - it showed as a RAW partition, Windows was asking to format it and even reported incorrect size. Trying about 7 different open source and commercial recovery tools did not help. However, if booted to recovery mode, CWM could see the card just perfectly!

So this is how to get the data back:

1. Boot to CWM recovery mode (power off the phone, then hold Volume Up-Home-Power buttons for 5 sec)

2. When in CWM recovery mode, connect phone via USB to computer. The phone should be recognized and drivers installed (if not already).

Note: I had problems with Windows recognizing the phone in recovery mode on some PCs (only 1 out of 3 worked, actually). To solve this, installed drivers from Samsung Galaxy S3 Toolkit (first step after toolkit installation) and problem gone: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1703488

3. Run adb command (from Android SDK platform tools) to ensure that the phone is visible to operating system - it should show serial number of the device and "recovery" next to it:
    adb.exe devices

4. Browse the phone to find the location of sdcard (mine was /sdcard):
    adb.exe shell

Note: when first time connected to phone via "adb.exe shell", running "ls" in /sdcard directory came out empty. Had to "exit" from shell and do "adb.exe shell" again.

5. Pull the files from your device using "adb.exe pull" command:
    adb.exe pull /sdcard c:\temp
    replace /sdcard with your sdcard directory on the phone (if different) and c:\temp with other folder on your PC, if you wish.

That's it! After files are copied, reboot to stock ROM and reformat the card. You can now copy all data back to it from your PC!

Sincerely,
    satanxda

Hope this helps.
    And to format 64GB sd card from exFAT to FAT32, use guiformat tool or EaseUS partition master. I have formatted my card to FAT32 using EaseUS partition master.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
    Man! pity I didn't read this before I formatted my "damaged" card ... good to know there's solution for future ;)

Wysyłane z mojego GT-I9300 za pomocą Tapatalk 2