Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

NineToTheSky

Apr 18, 2010
After reading your very thorough comparison I can concur with your overall assessment. Yes the overall winner is the GS III! Yay!

If my last statement baffled you, you can only imagine what your post did to me! It doesn't make sense, there is no logic to any of your assessments

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

I don't want to nitpick, but as I read it, the overall winner is the One X; viz:
Overall there are pro's and cons to each but I lean slightly to the One X.

pa1nk1ller

Dec 21, 2011
I like how pa1nk1ller thanked your post, but he's not one of the few reasonable posters lol

There's nothing left to compare though really. If you like the SGS3, buy it. If you like the One X, buy it. If you don't like either, wait a little bit because there's a bunch of phones coming out.

Tell me where I was not reasonable. I expressed my opinion with arguments. Sure i am not totally neutral. But i expressed my respect for the guy I quoted.
If I dont support your meaning that means NOT that i am not reasonable.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

avocco

Apr 28, 2007
Stockport
I don't want to nitpick, but as I read it, the overall winner is the One X; viz:
Overall there are pro's and cons to each but I lean slightly to the One X.

I know precisely what he said. It was the method he was using to reach his conclusions that I found highly amusing. I'll give you an example.

The One X is matte where the Galaxy S3 is glossy, I don't like matte so Winner is Galaxy S3. Does that sound logical to you? His method of comparing both devices was flawed.

NineToTheSky

Apr 18, 2010
I know precisely what he said. It was the method he was using to reach his conclusions that I found highly amusing. I'll give you an example.

The One X is matte where the Galaxy S3 is glossy, I don't like matte so Winner is Galaxy S3. Does that sound logical to you? His method of comparing both devices was flawed.

As I said in a previous post, this whole thing is academic until someone has both.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
The One X is matte where the Galaxy S3 is glossy, I don't like matte so Winner is Galaxy S3. Does that sound logical to you?

It's totally logical. For most people deciding between the two phones subjective criteria is what's going to make one stand out as their winner.

Here's some other stuff...

Must have SD card - Winner SGS3

Must have replacable battery - Winner SGS3

Must have higher contrast of SAMOLED - Winner SGS3

Must have Wolfson DAC - Winner SGS3

Must have Samsung's faster stock browser - Winner SGS3

Must have Samsung unique features (EG: Awake Stay) - Winner SGS3

Must have ODIN vs. RUU - Winner SGS3

Must have TouchWiz - Winner SGS3

Must have highest benchmarks - Winner SGS3

I'm not even going to mention any One X strengths (or SGS3 weaknesses) because that'll just start another round of subjective "my phone can beat up your phone" debate. Personally, of the things I listed, the only two that sway me are Samsung's unique features and faster stock browser. Both of which I'll judge when I get the phone. Not one person in this thread uses their phone the same way. I'd challenge that some don't even use it and spend all their time with it flicking between home screens and opening apps looking for signs of even 0.010 of a second of lag and wetting themselves when they don't see it. When not doing that their benchmarking it. For people that really use their phones the criteria used to judge it is different and liking or disliking a phone or some of its features comes down to how well it actually gets stuff done.

This quote from Engadget's review today is exactly how I feel with the answer to the underlined question being what will make me keep it over the One X...

"It's a strange feeling, receiving such a keenly anticipated phone to review. The hubbub of launch events, hands-on previews and heated debates suddenly dies away, leaving you with one small and intensely silent cardboard box. In this instance, the packaging contained the "marble white" version of the Galaxy S III (not the more daring "pebble blue") alongside one burning question: apart from all the hype, do this handset's paper credentials translate into a product that is worthy of serious cash and a 24-month commitment?

Those credentials are certainly more subtle than those of other recent devices. There's no unusual camera, stand-out display or unibody build. Instead, we get an abstract design statement about the phone being "inspired by nature" alongside a list of incremental hardware improvements such as a quad-core processor, as well as fresh additions to Samsung's customized Android 4.0 skin. As it turns out, these specs forgo immediate swagger in favor of creating a solid workhorse of a smartphone that is intent on attracting a long-term following. Read on and you'll discover just how it pulls that off."

Reactions: Lucasm93

sak500

Sep 9, 2011
Dubai
I bought SIII last night. Last piece and that too opened for demo but only for a day. Anyway, the phone is pretty impressive and at a very competitive price of Dhs.2499. $680 w/o contract.

I installed my 16gb card and now have about 20gb free in total after having 100s of apps on it. Dropbox is builtin and using my existing account, it automatically increased it to 52GB (2gb before).

Feels little plasticky and one X has better outer shell but screens almost look the same. I've not seen anything clearer before even when i've checked One x in stores.

Dont know if one x has led notifications, but SIII has 4~5 different color leds to customize the notifications like sms, calls, gmail, charging, low bat, no signal etc. Even though they do tend to bleed through the shell but it's a nice thing to have.

Another thing is single SD card partition so you have in the beginning 11.1gb of free space on a 16gb model. So none of the app2sd apps are required as all apps are installed in this space. Would hope for app2ExtSD app where we can move them to extSD as well.

Rooting was breeze (if somewhat tiresome to search for at first on XDA LOL) and does it in a min. Heard about horror stories for OneX (was following it earlier this month on XDA forums before buying SIII).

I guess rest of the software features/tech is already been reviewed and dissected around the WWW so just wanted to point out about lesser known stuff.

Loving the phone and i had to trade in my ip4 32 gb for it :)

mrvirginia

Jun 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC
no i was talking about the speaker on the phone,htc one x produce bit cleaner sound bec it has less bass, S3 is clean too but its mixed with bass..

there was a test done in a review regarding sound quality and the SGS3 topped the One X. i'll see if i can find said test...

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

I bought SIII last night. Last piece and that too opened for demo but only for a day. Anyway, the phone is pretty impressive and at a very competitive price of Dhs.2499. $680 w/o contract.

I installed my 16gb card and now have about 20gb free in total after having 100s of apps on it. Dropbox is builtin and using my existing account, it automatically increased it to 52GB (2gb before).

Feels little plasticky and one X has better outer shell but screens almost look the same. I've not seen anything clearer before even when i've checked One x in stores.

Dont know if one x has led notifications, but SIII has 4~5 different color leds to customize the notifications like sms, calls, gmail, charging, low bat, no signal etc. Even though they do tend to bleed through the shell but it's a nice thing to have.

Another thing is single SD card partition so you have in the beginning 11.1gb of free space on a 16gb model. So none of the app2sd apps are required as all apps are installed in this space. Would hope for app2ExtSD app where we can move them to extSD as well.

Rooting was breeze (if somewhat tiresome to search for at first on XDA LOL) and does it in a min. Heard about horror stories for OneX (was following it earlier this month on XDA forums before buying SIII).

I guess rest of the software features/tech is already been reviewed and dissected around the WWW so just wanted to point out about lesser known stuff.

Loving the phone and i had to trade in my ip4 32 gb for it :)

HOX has amber and green LED. that was it.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

well that didn't take me long. please jump down to Audio Quality
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-review-761p8.php
i wanna say there's another one too...

ph00ny

Aug 10, 2008
New York
Everyone keeps talking about more accurate color reproduction on the SLCD2 on HOX
Has anyone actually performed a real color gamut test between the two?

Like i said multiple times before, people assumed retina display had better color reproduction than SAMOLED and that simply wasn't the case. It was off as much as galaxy s was off from the standard color gamut range

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_1.htm

138% vs 64%

Lucasm93

Feb 28, 2011
It's totally logical. For most people deciding between the two phones subjective criteria is what's going to make one stand out as their winner.

I think that in the end that how everyone will pick the winner, or better, their winner.
We can even see it here. We are all enhancing the features that we like and need the most as being more relevant than others.
The person who likes the LCD screen will say that it has natural colors and higher brightness. The guy who prefers SAmoled will say that the vivid colors and deeper contrast make Samoled better.
And it goes on with battery, sd card, design, etc.
--

I do think that although the majority of people don't need 64gb of memory, more memory brings more possibilities and flexibility to your phone. That's why things advance.
I don't think anyone here needs a car that reaches 100mph. But I bet that everyone has one. And would like to have even more powerful cars.
Or even a 1tb hard drive. Do you need it? No, but maybe after you have it you will say "How did I live without this?" Because you will be able to do more things and keep more things in your HD and you won't need to worry with memory for a good time.
Are quadcores used right now? Not really. Will manufactures, developers and Google start using the possibilities the powerful CPU+GPUs bring in the next 12 months bringing dual cores to their limit? I dunno, but I don't see a reason for them not to.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
audio quality direct comparison of SGS3 vs HOX by GSMArena and SGS3 wins it.
edit: am i the only one actually reading the comparison articles? lol

You realize how ridiculous these audio comparisons are, right? 90+% of people using a smartphone for audio are "casual" listeners. They are most likely using highly compressed audio files and $50 headsets. For that audience there would be no difference between a Wolfson and Realtek DAC. For those with $300+ headsets, store music in lossless files, and have thousands of dollars of home audio equipment (which it's still questionable to choose a phone to output to) then there's no other phone on the market to even consider. Everyone reads how important others make a feature out to be and glom on to without even understanding what it means (if anything) to them personally.

Reactions: thegregulator

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix
You realize how ridiculous these audio comparisons are, right? 90+% of people using a smartphone for audio are "casual" listeners. They are most likely using highly compressed audio files and $50 headsets. For that audience there would be no difference between a Wolfson and Realtek DAC. For those with $300+ headsets, store music in lossless files, and have thousands of dollars of home audio equipment (which it's still questionable to choose a phone to output to) then there's no other phone on the market to even consider. Everyone reads how important others make a feature out to be and glom on to without even understanding what it means (if anything) to them personally.

not everyone really cares what chipset a phone has..and i am talking about audio ones..if the phone has clear audio and the music that comes out from the headphones is clear and crystal no one really gives a toss about the comparisons and stuff...well said post mate

pewpewbangbang

Feb 13, 2010
Ann Arbor & NYC
I don't think you are a reasonable poster either, but that doesn't mean you aren't. ;)

Hey, everyones unreasonable sometimes. My posts are based off supported facts though most of the time and I have no biased views on any phones.

Pa1nk1ller your posts were unreasonable in that you stated 100% in no way LCD could be or is better than amoled and you don't understand why anyone would take slcd2 over samoled.

There's pros and cons of each with everyone having a different preference.

If you like saturated colors and deepest blacks choose samoled.

If you like more warmer less oversatturated colors, whiter whites, higher dpi/ppi then go with slcd2.

Having owned both samoled hd and slcd2 ill say slcd2 is probably one of the best IPs panels along with the iPhone out. It's colors are much more vibrant compared to older and other LCD panels/phones and contrast has improved a lot and narrowed the gap with it and samoled.

I also web browse a lot so whites and a lot less power consumption on whites matters more to me as well as ppi, so I now prefer slcd2 to samoled.

Everyone will have their own preference and wants.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix
Hey, everyones unreasonable sometimes. My posts are based off supported facts though most of the time and I have no biased views on any phones.

Pa1nk1ller your posts were unreasonable in that you stated 100% in no way LCD could be or is better than amoled and you don't understand why anyone would take slcd2 over samoled.

There's pros and cons of each with everyone having a different preference.

If you like saturated colors and deepest blacks choose samoled.

If you like more warmer less oversatturated colors, whiter whites, higher dpi/ppi then go with slcd2.

Having owned both samoled hd and slcd2 ill say slcd2 is probably one of the best IPs panels along with the iPhone out. It's colors are much more vibrant compared to older and other LCD panels/phones and contrast has improved a lot and narrowed the gap with it and samoled.

I also web browse a lot so whites and a lot less power consumption on whites matters more to me as well as ppi, so I now prefer slcd2 to samoled.

Everyone will have their own preference and wants.

if i had a choice between AMOLED and SLCD2 i would go for the second one. brighter specially when you are outside, not as low and dark and more beautiful colourwise. in regards to the Amoled though the dark colours are out of this world..very hard choice and both are beautiful in there own right....but for me since i prefer to see what i am actually doing on my phone screen when i am outside i would go for the slcd2

Reactions: Gene_Bailey

pewpewbangbang

Feb 13, 2010
Ann Arbor & NYC
if i had a choice between AMOLED and SLCD2 i would go for the second one. brighter specially when you are outside, not as low and dark and more beautiful colourwise. in regards to the Amoled though the dark colours are out of this world..very hard choice and both are beautiful in there own right....but for me since i prefer to see what i am actually doing on my phone screen when i am outside i would go for the slcd2

Samoled is actually pretty good outdoors. And the Sgs3 panel is like 50% brighter than the gnex I think.

tylerdurdin

Sep 30, 2010
New York
I am eliminating any possibility of not having the best phone by having them both. I will just have a nice work phone and a nice weekend phone. Both these phones will be sick and this is my hobby so no sense in having to choose one....that's the only option I see everyone weighing that really sucks.

killing is my business, And business is good.

mrvirginia

Jun 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC

you're right, i do think it's a ridiculous comparison. i was posting facts though since there were claims that the audio output was better on the HOX. that's the only reason i posted it. however, i am happy knowing that the audio output is slightly better on the SGS3 since the audio output on my GNex isn't as good as i'd like it to be. so, although these comparisons may seem a bit ridiculous, it's still nice to know that the audio output won't be crap.

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Here's something else on the subjective side that appeals to me. Some screenshots on Engadget made me think about it. With SAMOLED, you get better blacks. And, to conserve battery, you live in a "black" world. The UI, menu, and Samsung apps are all intentionally dark. Sense is totally opposite with a bias toward light colors and white. After 11 months with the SGS2 it's a nice change. And for those talking about visibility in daylight, it's a lot easier to see black text on a white backround then vice versa.

Here's some comparison screen shots.

Also, HTC's aesthetics are a bit more comtemporary. The dialer in the SGS3 is the same one they've used (including the circa 2002 video calling over 3G icon)
since the i9000. I know it's a matter of taste and some people like Samsung's dark backgrounds and consistency but I'm kind of liking the more lighter, modern, and detailed look of Sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh Barry is back. I thought you either disappeared or got banned :D

Banned? I piss people off some times but always try to do it in good taste. ;)

I was traveling for the past couple of weeks so haven't had time to keep up with the boards. Not much has changed. I did get to use a demo DoCoMo SGS3 for a couple of days while I was in Japan. It's spec'd similarly to the U.S. variants so I'd imagine it performs similarly too. It wasn't a production device but still seemed to perform well. After using it as a daily driver for two days this is why I’m keeping the One X:

- I like Sense better than TW4. Social integration, e-mail, MMS, the stock music player, and things like the productivity lock screen are some of the big pluses (to me). I also like the dark on light visuals after living in the black world of TW on the i9100 for eleven months.

- The stock music player is a good example of how thoroughly thought out Sense is. The imbedded tagging is the first I've experienced on a mobile device that gets albums with multiple artists right. It also updates songs and albums with high-res graphics automatically via Gracenote so my library looks spiffy. Sense even allows third party apps like Amazon MP3 to have their controls displayed on the lock screen via the stock app. To go directly to the music player when the device is locked all you need to do is drag it to unlock ring. It also streams via DLNA directly from the app and integrates remote songs with local content. FriendStream and the e-mail/MMS clients are equally well thought out.

- The radios (BT and cellular) on the One X are night and day compared to the S4 SGS3. To connect to multiple cars and networks I had to do nothing to get the One X to work. I had to fiddle with settings and APN's to get the SGS3 to work. It wouldn't connect via A2DP to a Nissan that the One X had no problem with. I've used the One X in about six countries now and whether roaming via my AT&T SIM or using a local one never had an issue registering on a foreign network. My old SGS2 never peformed nearly that well.

- Connecting the SGS3 to a PC to move files to it isn't nearly as fast and easy as HTC's approach to ditching MTP and providing a mass storage option. I didn't time it but moving music and video to the SGS3 seemed to take at least 1/3 to 1/2 more time than the One X.

- The SGS3 looks a lot better in person than I thought it would. The phone I was using though was the old pebble blue with the matching home button. I'm not a fan of the old pebble blue and I still like the design of the One X better. I must have big hands because I didn’t find either phone more or less comfortable to use.

- The browser on the SGS3 was faster but I'm not willing to give up text reflow for speed, especially on a HD display. The HTC browser also has a "read" button that's really cool. It strips out all but text and pictures and makes reading WSJ articles and the like that are long and very text heavy better and easier to read on a mobile device.

- In comparing the displays, I was fine with the SGS3's. PenTile didn't bother me and neither did the representation of blacks. The One X's display is brighter, clearer, and the colors are more natural. Had I not been using a One X I would have been ga ga over the SGS3's display

- S-Voice was hit or miss but it wasn't a killer feature for me anyway. Awake Stay was great when it worked but I wear reading glasses and that really threw it for a loop. Pop Up Play will be great on a tablet but it's a parlor trick on such a small display like the SGS3's. Direct Dial's pretty useless in anything but a text because you still have to manually select the number to call if a contact has multiples as most of mine do.

So, bottom line for me, s/w and design won out over h/w, performance, and benchmarks (I would have gotten Exynos). The only thing that I feel I'll be missing is better battery life and a removable battery. 32GB of storage is fine for me so the expandable storage wasn't ever a hot button. There you have it. ;)
    hi folks, due to the number of 'comparison threads getting out on control we've decided to merge them into one.For all comparisons.

All other threads will be deleted. please keep discussions of the SGS3 and One X here.

before you start please take the time to read and understand the following:

2. Member conduct.

2.1 Language: XDA is a worldwide community. As a result what is ‘ok’ to say in your part of the world may not be ok in someone else’s part of the world. Please think about who is reading what you write. Keep in mind that what you think of as acceptable use of language may not be acceptable to others. Conversely, while reading member posts, remember that word you find offensive may not be to the writer. Tolerance is a two way street.

2.2 Nudity: XDA is used by people of all ages, including minors. It's not acceptable to post nude/pornographic imagery, which includes exposure of the male or female genitalia or of female breasts.

2.3 Flaming: XDA was founded as a group of people sharing information about certain mobile phones. Sharing does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) it does involve working together to solve problems in an environment of mutual respect and understanding. Losing your temper and flaming another member, or group of members, is not acceptable behavior.

2.4 Personal attacks, racial, political and/or religious discussions: XDA is a discussion forum about certain mobile phones. Mobile phones are not racial, political, religious or personally offensive, therefore none of these types of discussions are permitted on XDA.

2.5 Courtesy towards other Members: Treat new members the way you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instruction when you can and always with respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.

2.6 All members are expected to read and adhere to the XDA rules.

We've no issue with legitimate discussion but we won't tolerate flaming, trolling or abuse of any kind.

We will infract anyone who breaks the rules and this may result in bans

regards

Moderator team
    And thats all folks, it seems my last warnings to stay on topic and not keep trolling with nonsense have been ignored.

Thread closed, it was dead a long time ago, RIP.
    People like you make me lose faith in mankind. Where in my posts does it make me look like a fanboy. I've had the past 3 samsungs and loved them.

I said clearly in the post IMO capitalized the design is ugly. Obv everyone won't feel the same.

Im making valid scientific comparisons and based off me having had the galaxy nexus and galaxy s II as well as original galaxy s. I thought I hit all the right points. Samsung software and soc is better, HTC software sucks. Does that sound like a fanboy?

Take your ignorant bashing posts elsewhere.

Have you held and compare the one x with something like the galaxy nexus. Don't tell me the galaxy nexus feels more high quality because even though its great, plastic is plastic and doesnt feel as nice.

I remember getting a similar answer from you in a different thread, it's just weird to see you being so active on a forum for a phone that you see as inferior, or at least not to your liking... I didn't mean to be a jerk back then but some of your phrasing really sounds like you are making yourself feel better over your purchase. For example: "exynos 4 is faster as well as gpu, but not a humongous difference, nothing noticeable both are more than fast enough for anything out" Why explain? it's faster period. Even the dual core of the S2 is more than enough for pretty much everything on the market so why do you have to downplay it by adding stuff like that?

Both phones are great and have their pros and cons we all know that but right now, the still unoptimized S3 which is not even yet released wins most if not all "hands on" reviews. So it is almost certainly the better phone. The screen is a matter of taste. I prefer AMOLED and I'm saying that as an intermediate photographer... I have my dedicated equipment for "natural" colours and such and I see no use for it on a phone and multimedia device. As far as multimedia goes it looks FAR better on an AMOLED screen for the blacks alone. Not to mention it has a far superior battery life when it comes to that.

HTC seems to aim at the hip, young and "cool" audience where as the galaxy series seems to aim more at the matured audience IMO. Beats audio by "Dr. Dre" and Sense as an indication for that... I can't stand the looks of sense and while TouchWiz will not win any beauty contest it still looks more grown up to me, especially those small changes they did in the app drawer etc.
    definitely HTC One X is my choice
    why?
    1. Software are both customizable, both doesnt matter
    2. Raw power, both have identical processing power
    3. housing, while sgs3 came with plastic material, onex came with polycarbonate (proven to be weather proof as we use it on canopies :D) htc one x is the winner
    4. Camera, Htc one x
    5. Design, htc have more rugged design :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

1. One X isn't S-OFF, so this does matter. A lot.
    2. Raw power - Have you even seen benchmarks?
    3. Housing - Umm... the SGS3 is also polycarbonate... and you know what polycarbonate is? PLASTIC.
    4. Camera - In low light, yes the HOX will win, in good light, SGS3 was better.
    5. Design - questionable, and totally down to the individual.

Now let me add some points:
    Internal memory:
    SGS3 - 16, 32, 64 + Up to 64GB SGXC in exFAT + 50 GB dropbox
    HOX - 32GB (25GB usable) + 25? GB dropbox non expandable
    Battery:
    2100 removable vs 1800 non removable
    Audio:
    Wolfson DAC vs ****ty beats audio marketing ploy