FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Samsung’s region lock causing problems, might extend to Galaxy S3 and Note II after A

1,044 posts
Thanks Meter: 463

Post Reply Email Thread
It seems like the regional SIM lock Samsung has put on the Galaxy Note 3 in Europe and the U.S. is an issue that isn’t going away any time soon. After initial outrage from users, Samsung recently issued a statement that the SIM lock only comes into effect if you turn on the device for the first time with a foreign SIM card, and that the handset can be used anywhere in the world after it has been activated with a local SIM card.

However, that doesn’t seem to be the case for many users out there, and a Samsung official has reportedly confirmed to an XDA user that the Note 3 cannot be used with SIM cards from a region that it wasn’t bought in. The company rep, after being asked several times, said that the region lock means that you simply cannot use a European Note 3 with a SIM card from the USA, even if the device has been turned on with a local SIM for the first time.

Basically, the region lock cannot be bypassed and is final, with many users over at the XDA forums complaining of incidents such as a Note 3 bought in Germany not working with a SIM from Thailand. Moreover, what’s worrying is that the aforementioned company rep said that the region lock will be extended to current devices like the S3 and Note II with the Android 4.4 KitKat update, meaning international roaming would become impossible unless you continue to use a SIM from the home country of the device.

Now, usually we’d rejoice at hearing that the rep could have unintentionally confirmed that an Android 4.4 update is coming, but the gravity of the region lock situation is a serious one. The region locking is being done to supposedly curtail grey imports, but really, how many grey importers import devices that have been in use for more than a year or so? It’s clear that despite Samsung’s attempts to clear the air and try to talk down the commotion over its rather stupid region locking stunt, the problem isn’t going away and could cause major backlash in the coming weeks.

But hey, maybe that backlash will cause them to backtrack on their plans to region lock old devices, and perhaps remove the limitation from the Note 3 through a software update as well. Fingers crossed that the Korean manufacturer does what’s in the best interest of consumers, instead of troubling them just to stop a few grey importers from making a quick buck.

It's fully copy paste from Sammobile

Just wanna let it know
The Following User Says Thank You to LegendM For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LegendM Ad-Free
3rd October 2013, 11:18 PM |#2  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 58

More
If Samsung definitely keeps to that route and it happens xda members can't unlock it, I'll get a nexus as my next phone.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
4th October 2013, 12:18 AM |#3  
Flag Helloooooooooooooo
Thanks Meter: 204

More
Here I come Sony, I really regret getting a Galaxy S3, lack of Exynos drivers ruined AOSP and Touchwiz ruins Samsung stock. I personally like the look of Xperia's UI.

I will never buy a Samsung again if future devices have a region lock, I travel over seas a lot and this is a deal breaker for me. By November my phone will be on eBay.
4th October 2013, 01:20 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
so thats what it was.
i went to pakistan recently with my uk i9300 which i bought sim free.
he sim there wouldnt work so i went to a shop there and the guy rooted it for it to work.

he said something like country lock.

have they removed this in the s4 or the latest 4.1.2 s3 update?
4th October 2013, 04:57 AM |#5  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner786

so thats what it was.
he sim there wouldnt work so i went to a shop there and the guy rooted it for it to work.

don't know what you're talking about dude... it hasn't been implemented yet
4th October 2013, 07:15 AM |#6  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 345

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner786

so thats what it was.

Not implemented for S3 yet. Might have been some other issue.

As for S4, I'm not sure.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
4th October 2013, 09:35 AM |#7  
ponte tresa
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomahey

As for S4, I'm not sure.

I bought i9300 S3 on 16 sept 2013 in switzerland, and its REGION LOCKED similar like note 3

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2450728

it comes with jb 4.1.2 mg4 from the factory...

i bought this phone for my girlfriend in indonesia as a gift, but until this moment, it cannot be use....F*CK SAMSH*T, never ever samsung anymore.
4th October 2013, 01:50 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 307

Donate to Me
More
But if I buy one in Germany, I can still use it in Belgium? It is Europe right?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
4th October 2013, 01:56 PM |#9  
ponte tresa
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajumper

But if I buy one in Germany, I can still use it in Belgium? It is Europe right?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

its not about the roaming, but about the sim card, actually yes, if you bought the phone from german, you can use belgian sim card without any problem, i also tried my switzerland s3 with italian sim card, it works very well.....
4th October 2013, 02:59 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Question SGS3 - Bought in march 2013, region locked by update?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomahey

As for S4, I'm not sure.

I'm not entirely sure whether or not you are right about this
When I checked my own S3 I was somewhat perplexed that a phone I bought in march 2013 has a 38 country long list of NetworkLock-entries in it's customer.xml-file. The extracted information, incl. device information, can be found in the attached PDF.

It appears that the official Samsung ROM is being shipped with region locks. Even to those who bought their phone before (!) Samsung implemented this infuriating "feature".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NbNetworkLock-EN.pdf - [Click for QR Code] (115.0 KB, 234 views)
5th October 2013, 01:08 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqgia2

don't know what you're talking about dude... it hasn't been implemented yet

oh hasnt it.

weird. cant be coincidence that what happened to me is very similar to this.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)