FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Have you experienced Unsual Permanant or partial freezes on you Galaxy S3 GT-I9300?

Yes, Permanant freezes.

589 Vote(s)
34.61%
Yes, Partial (Sometimes) freezes.

803 Vote(s)
47.18%
No,i don't experience any freezes.

171 Vote(s)
10.05%
Yes, but due to mods i installed.

27 Vote(s)
1.59%
Yes, but due to unknown reasons.

112 Vote(s)
6.58%

**Ultimate Galaxy S3 Unusual Freezing Thread**

488 posts
Thanks Meter: 617

Post Reply Email Thread
22nd November 2013, 07:16 AM |#1041  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogioz

So far the Dummy File Generator has worked for me - phone seems faster too (but that could just be me?).

not really sure if its faster now

23rd November 2013, 09:29 PM |#1042  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Motherboard replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman89

I got 16gb Motherboard replaced with 32gb.
So it may not be as bad as it seems

Can I ask you how you had that done. Im getting the run around with a 5 month old S3 with sudden death syndrome
24th November 2013, 06:30 AM |#1043  
Flag Thoubal, Manipur
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnkx

Can I ask you how you had that done. Im getting the run around with a 5 month old S3 with sudden death syndrome

Mine freezes even when the mobile is idle{started when I flashed 4.3[swc] and back to 4.1.2[INU-XXEMH4]}...and then it can not make it normal itself, it does boot automatically
24th November 2013, 01:24 PM |#1044  
Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 152

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnkx

Service center. They replaced with a 32 gb one, maybe because of no 16gb stock.
25th November 2013, 12:06 PM |#1045  

More
GT-I9300 Freezing update

Hello everyone. I posted about my phone freezing problems some days ago and this is an update about it.

I told you about my phone freezing and rebooting by itself, but now its behaviour has changed. It sill freezes but it doesn't reboot anymore. It just unfreezes in the application it was running.

It happens a lot when I am using twitter: The screen and physical buttons stop responding but the screen does not go black. After 15 minutes or so it just unfreezes and stays in the same screen. It's like it wakes up like nothing happened. As I said it usually happens when using twitter but also with other apps (facebook, internet navigator, etc)

I still run the DFG 3 or 4 times a day but the device never freezes when its running.

Any ideas or suggestions? Should I root my phone and install XXEMB1 build or newer?

Thanks again for the support!
25th November 2013, 09:34 PM |#1046  
Thanks Meter: 216

More
You don't have to root your phone to install another ROM.

The freezes you are getting are the same everybody else in this thread has to deal with. Usually it's just a freeze that unfreezes itself after a couple of minutes sometimes it doesn't and you get a reboot.
No solution that works for everyone so far.
Try the different approaches described in this thread. Maybe one of them works for you.
28th November 2013, 12:28 AM |#1047  
Flag Maracaibo
Thanks Meter: 51

More
Oh gee..

I'm scared about my phone after reading this thread, here's my story

I've never experienced anything related about sudden death and since day 1 of my phone I rooted it and flash better ROMs, 8 months since I bought this phone, until 3 days ago, I've been using CM 10.2 nightly builds and PA 4.3 on my S3 9300, all good 3 days ago I flashed this tomasek 4.4 unofficial build and since then I've been getting freezes like crazy.., reverted back to PA 4.3 and still got the freezes I did mega wipes, deleted caches and still get freezes. I'll attach my report of EMMC APP

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
28th November 2013, 11:37 AM |#1048  

More
Unhappy
I've been having some problems with my 3 months old galaxy s3....
1.Sometimes after unlocking screen flashes a blue light for less than one second
2.After opening contacts details and go back screen goes black for a little bit
3.Random freezes sometimes but this happens almost to everyone so its not a big deal
Is there any fix ?
29th November 2013, 04:38 AM |#1049  
Flag Mermaid Beach QLD
Thanks Meter: 298

More
ok guys here is my story so far..

Been running:
Sotmax Ultimate Stock V19
Yank555.lu-i9300-JB-kernel-v3.4b

Ran the phone up to about lg of free space on internal..
heavy usage of apps during the day.. had facebook, facebook messager, Chome Wechat and other crap running..

been running fine for 6 months at least then started to get the freezes and reboots this week. got the insane chip .. so haven't been flashing like crazy .. just sitting with what works.

Dumped over 8g to the external SDcard and Used the DFG Method..
has taken a good many times to run through with lockkups and reboots..
ugly..

Just flashed Yank555.lu-i9300-JB-kernel-v3.4f.zip
and its sitting ok for now. will run some tests..
but will also reflash the rom with a clean install of the Kernel.
Fingers crossed this is going to get a bit more life out of it.
but leaves a bad taste in the mouth about Samsung products as my trusted HTC EVO still still powering along after almost 4 years..
30th November 2013, 02:46 PM |#1050  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railius

Oh gee..

I'm scared about my phone after reading this thread, here's my story

I've never experienced anything related about sudden death and since day 1 of my phone I rooted it and flash better ROMs, 8 months since I bought this phone, until 3 days ago, I've been using CM 10.2 nightly builds and PA 4.3 on my S3 9300, all good 3 days ago I flashed this tomasek 4.4 unofficial build and since then I've been getting freezes like crazy.., reverted back to PA 4.3 and still got the freezes I did mega wipes, deleted caches and still get freezes. I'll attach my report of EMMC APP

i've got pretty much the exact same thing, so you're not alone.
2nd December 2013, 06:19 PM |#1051  
Flag Bloomington, IL
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_max

I believe I was able to reduce the problem by a huge amount; no lags at all for weeks. This is what I did, presented in a tutorial, simple-to-follow way. You need a custom recovery; CWM and its variations will work, TWRP probably will work fine as well. You also need fully functioning adb. There are other topics on this forum that can help you getting both the recovery and adb working fine. A good strategy for "worst-case scenarios" is to have an Odin/Heimdall flashable file on your PC. If you screw up and can't get back to recovery, Odin back to stock.

BACK UP ALL YOUR FILES!!! Seriously, we WILL DELETE ALL FILES on your internal SD.

You are accepting a risk by following this procedure. One period, one space, one enter at the wrong point can do possibly irrevocable damage to your phone. I accept no responsibility if you screw up!

Reboot into recovery and make a nandroid backup to external SD. I already had a CM10.2 ROM ready to install from the external SD as well; make sure you have some CWM installable ROM on it. Then, remove the SD just to be sure. Go to the "mounts and storage" section of CWM/TWRP and make sure /data, /system, /cache and /preload are all mounted (you should see options to unmount them). After that, connect the phone to your PC. On the PC, open a command window (on windows, start menu --> CMD; on OS X, the Terminal application; on Linux, Konsole/Terminal), and run:

Code:
adb shell
This will give you a Linux terminal running on your phone, with the interface on your PC. But you need more, you need root access to that terminal. Look at the prompt you got. If it ends with a "#", you're already root and you can skip this step. If it ends with "$", you're a regular user and you'll need to become root. In this case, type:
Code:
su
That will make you root. You'll know you're running as root when the prompt changes from "$" to "#". Now we go to the real work, and the part where you can do a lot of damage. You did the backup, right? First, we will delete all files on your phone:
Code:
rm -rf /data/* /system/* /cache/* /preload/*
After that, your phone will be completely empty, with no OS. Why that? Because we want to write and rewrite on your whole internal SD, not just on the small part that is empty. Then, we will do exactly the same thing that DFG does, but on all four big partitions:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/data/dummy
dd if=/dev/zero of=/system/dummy
dd if=/dev/zero of=/cache/dummy
dd if=/dev/zero of=/preload/dummy
Note that each of those commands will take a while, from some tens of seconds for the smaller partitions to maybe even one hour for the big /data/ partition if it's very damaged. There will be no visual indication of their progress until they end, when you'll get a summary of what it did, how long it took and how fast it was.

This fills ALL your eMMC with a dummy file. Pay attention to the average speed reported on each step. Ideally, you will have approximately the same speed on all four steps; and a speed that is reasonably high (I don't remember the actual speed for my eMMC right now, but that should be about 30MB/s). If you're suffering from freezes, that will most likely not happen now. Each partition will give you a different speed, from (for example) 8 to 30 MB/s. Then, you will delete the dummy files:
Code:
rm /data/dummy /system/dummy /cache/dummy /preload/dummy
And run it all again. If you're still not getting consistent speeds, delete the files, run the "dd" commands again, and repeat until you do. Actually, repeat it until you get consistent speeds a few times. Set aside some time for that. A full afternoon is probably enough; I must have spent some six hours until I was confident enough.

After you're happy with your speeds, delete the dummy files if you still didn't do it and reinsert your SD. Now, install the ROM you had on your external SD, reboot, and (if it all worked as intended) you should be free of the freezes. Restore your files, reinstall your apps, and enjoy your phone.

I wouldn't restore the nandroid; take this opportunity to make a fresh start (besides, you can have some sort of filesystem damage that could return from the backup). But, in case something goes wrong, restore the backup and go back where you were. You still should see big improvements.

If you screw up big time, you may lose access to the recovery. In that case, Odin/Heimdall is your only bet. This should not happen unless you manage to screw up the commands I wrote in some very, very creative way, though.

Please, report any issues you find, and any positive (or negative) feedback will be appreciated. As I said, it worked for me. I hope it works for most of us!

I was freezing for probably 10-15 minutes at a time every 5 minutes or so. I followed this, though a few lines returned that the file was busy or in-use. Fingers crossed, but so far so good for the past 15 hours or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to zeropants For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zeropants Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
freeze, freezing, lockup, sds, ultimate galaxy s3 unusual freezing thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)