FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Have you experienced Unsual Permanant or partial freezes on you Galaxy S3 GT-I9300?

Yes, Permanant freezes.

589 Vote(s)
34.61%
Yes, Partial (Sometimes) freezes.

803 Vote(s)
47.18%
No,i don't experience any freezes.

171 Vote(s)
10.05%
Yes, but due to mods i installed.

27 Vote(s)
1.59%
Yes, but due to unknown reasons.

112 Vote(s)
6.58%

**Ultimate Galaxy S3 Unusual Freezing Thread**

488 posts
Thanks Meter: 617

Post Reply Email Thread
8th April 2013, 06:50 AM |#441  
Flag manchester
Thanks Meter: 21

More
I was having my own freezes over the last week or two, with the last couple of days being a nightmare with random reboots and 6 freezes in a single mornings.
I tried a complete wipe and even a different ROM but no real difference. I pulled out my memory card and haven't a single freeze since..

Obviously a corrupt card or bad file. I will try to reformat. Hope this helps someone.

9th April 2013, 11:10 AM |#442  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
S3 Freezing - maybe a fix...?
Hi all,

I've read quite a lot of posts from people over the last few days as I've been having the same problem for a while and it seemed to be getting worse.

Yesterday I removed the SD card as per a number of recommendations and although it helped a little it didn't solve the problem, I was still freezing on average once per hour.

This morning I put the SD card back in to see if it made much difference and it got a little worse (freezing every few mins), so I took it back out again.

GOOD NEWS though - I've tried rolling back Samsung App and Samsung Push to factory default through Apps Manager and ignoring the update requests after that (I was rather cynical and didn't expect much), and so far I've not had the freeze again yet. It's not been long enough to say it's a cure, just a few hours, BUT the one thing I've noticed is that the performance of the S3 has improved dramatically, e.g. switching between apps there is no lag whatsoever and it's far more responsive than it has been in a long time - it's running as quickly as a brand new handset even with chunky apps like WhatsApp, Facebook, Messaging, e-mail etc.

I'll keep tabs on it for the rest of the day and if it's not frozen tonight I'll try re-inserting the SD card too, then post an update...

Here's some info for the cool-a55 leet super-geeks who know this shiz far better than me:
Current firmware - PDA:LLA/PJONE:LK1/CSC:LL2 (O2U) - this is the latest version according to Kies
Unlocked, on o2, stock model, UK (not tried rooting yet).

Keep rockin' y'all...

Valve Rider

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Forgot to mention - as well as freezing up, the S3 seems to have severed links between some of my WhatsApp conversations and my Contacts, so it now doesn't recognise who the sender is - and it's only done it for some contacts, not all, bizarrely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightnshade

Hi all,

I've read quite a lot of posts from people over the last few days as I've been having the same problem for a while and it seemed to be getting worse.

Yesterday I removed the SD card as per a number of recommendations and although it helped a little it didn't solve the problem, I was still freezing on average once per hour.

---------

This morning I put the SD card back in to see if it made much difference and it got a little worse (freezing every few mins), so I took it back out again.

GOOD NEWS though - I've tried rolling back Samsung App and Samsung Push to factory default through Apps Manager and ignoring the update requests after that (I was rather cynical and didn't expect much), and so far I've not had the freeze again yet. It's not been long enough to say it's a cure, just a few hours, BUT the one thing I've noticed is that the performance of the S3 has improved dramatically, e.g. switching between apps there is no lag whatsoever and it's far more responsive than it has been in a long time - it's running as quickly as a brand new handset even with chunky apps like WhatsApp, Facebook, Messaging, e-mail etc.

I'll keep tabs on it for the rest of the day and if it's not frozen tonight I'll try re-inserting the SD card too, then post an update...

Here's some info for the cool-a55 leet super-geeks who know this shiz far better than me:
Current firmware - PDA:LLA/PJONE:LK1/CSC:LL2 (O2U) - this is the latest version according to Kies

Keep rockin' y'all...

Valve Rider

The Following User Says Thank You to lightnshade For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lightnshade Ad-Free
9th April 2013, 09:58 PM |#443  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelchior

Hi. I'm from Portugal but I bought my S3 in Spain in June. It’s unbranded, unrooted. Everything was all right until 3 weeks ago. Suddenly it started rebooting for itself. Then the freezing started. Sometimes every 5 minutes or so. Sometimes during the night, when was charging. I was reading this thread and checked the chip with the eMMC app. ''Insane Chip''. Date ‘’04/2012’’
I made a factory reset and send it yesterday for warranty. They made another factory reset, with cache cleaning and returned to me. Soon I get home and connect to Wi-Fi and start to install apps it freeze. Even writing a text message (that was a new one). I was at the service repair center today. I left the eMMC app installed on purpose. Complained about the freezing again. One of the employees was saying he never heard this problem in Portugal. The other employee started to check the phone and he went to the eMMC app. I took the opportunity to say: ''I think the problem is exactly that''. He didn’t reply. He just filled the warranty form and I went home with the information that they believe to return the phone, next week. I will update my experience soon I get news from Samsung. I have the feeling they will just flash a Portuguese official Rom and return the phone.
Just another thing. I read someone complaining about the fact when the screen is broken the warranty is no longer valid. Mine have a small corner broken but they didn’t say anything about it. They just make an observation in the form, with the purpose I cannot complain after, saying the screen was okay before repairing.

Update: After 7 days, the repair centre returned my phone with the following information: ''Software updated. Phone with factory specifications''. I start laughing but anyway, i took it and went home. Soon I arrived, I insert the sim-card, connect to wifi, create my google account and when I was just checking the APPs, it freeze opening Navigator. It took 22 minutes to unfreeze. I called samsung support complaining. They give me an e-mail adress to complain and asked me to return the phone tomorrow to the repair centre!
I know some users are taking the issue in their hands, using different rom's but it's Samsung responsability to make the necessary corrections, so, tomorrow I will take my phone again to repair and I will not give up before they find a way to correct this.

second update After my complain, i left my phone AGAIN at the repair centre. They told me they will change the motherboard and I can pick up my phone next day. After all, they changed the Wi-Fi component and soon I tried it freeze again! I'm sending a lot of angry e-mails to samsung. They have to fix it because I can't be sure this is a software problem or a Hardware problem.
9th April 2013, 11:31 PM |#444  

More
I was getting similar behaviour too. Phone would freeze after making calls, sending msgs, using facebook, searching on google, basically random points anywhere. Went through uninstalling apps, did a factory reset, and through some trial and error finally pinned down where my problem was at least. It was caused by the latest version of MixZing. Was crashing before frequently, and after uninstalling it I've been using my phone fine all day with no crashes at all. Still potentially early days, but if I don't report back then that solved it for me.
10th April 2013, 06:28 AM |#445  

More
sent in my phone for service due to hanging issues. got a call from samsung today and they told me my phone is ready for collection. i asked them over the phone what did they replace. they told me they replaced the screen. da fug? haha
10th April 2013, 06:51 AM |#446  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
XXEMB1 worked great for me.
When I installed the 4.2.1 leak, the freezes started happening. I switched to CM10.1, and it kept happening (though less frequently).
I changed back to XXEMB5 when it came out, and had no problem since then.
Quite frustrating... DashClock was hard to give up on

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
10th April 2013, 09:31 AM |#447  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hi all,

The bad news is it was indeed too good to be true. By lunchtime yesterday my S3 was freezing again approx hourly, sometimes without me even doing anything on it.

So I think we can eliminate the following as full solutions (only based on my experience of course):

1) Removing MicroSD card - hasn't made much difference
2) Rolling back Samsung Push to factory default version
3) Rolling back Samsung Apps to factory default version

The main apps I use are:
Facebook
WhatsApp
Messaging (default)
Email (default)
Internet (default, not Chrome)
WordsWithFriends
Candy Crush Saga (sad but true)
Maps
Smart Keyboard Trial
Lookout

When checking my cached processes, I generally have around 200-250MB free, up to 600-650MB used. I've no idea if this is normal or whether it's changed over time but I've always used the majority of the apps mentioned above and only had the problem in the last few weeks.

Most of the time if I leave the phone for 15-20 mins it unfreezes or reboots.

I just hope it's a software/firmware issue rather than hardware - I've seen theories both ways and I'd rather not have to get it repaired or replaced. I'm surprised Samsung haven't responded yet if there are so many of us affected...

All suggestions welcomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightnshade

Hi all,

Keep rockin' y'all...

Valve Rider

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Forgot to mention - as well as freezing up, the S3 seems to have severed links between some of my WhatsApp conversations and my Contacts, so it now doesn't recognise who the sender is - and it's only done it for some contacts, not all, bizarrely.

10th April 2013, 10:35 AM |#448  
Flag Secret
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Constant freezing - Im done.
Mine has started doing this about a week ago. A gradual decline with random freezes maybe once a day initially to freezes every few minutes.

I noticed that mine also freezes on loading of the Rom too - which says to me this is definitely hardware related. The 2nd post talking about degraded memory rings bells for me. Maybe blocks are being killed slowly and the OS is scrambling for usable space - I find im lucky to get 10 mins after starting without a freeze.

I done a full wipe and re-installed Omega 42 (because I cant live without Boeffla Kernel - 4.1.2 only) which went through "ok". The install took 90 minutes. It was hanging during Aroma install but true to method I just "Left it to sort itself out".

Once loaded I decided to use Titanium backup to "Restore Missing apps and data" - 92 in total. This has been running for 3 hours now. The screen stays on and every little while I go over to look at it and it has done a couple more apps. I can tell if its responsive or not because the arrows in the Wifi indicator flash.

Im gutted more because my 2 year old son dropped it in the kitchen the other week - cracking the glass. A 1 foot drop onto a wooden floor! No warranty for me. Im not in the position to be able to afford another phone and basically S**t out of luck.

Im hoping someone figures out a way to remove corrupted blocks from being available. A bad sector if you will. Maybe then I could just operate it on less, but more usable blocks! Dreams are free.

Sorry if this isnt helpful to anyone but its nice to join in on the frustration and share stories sometimes. haha
10th April 2013, 12:25 PM |#449  

More
Just gotten my phone back from samsung. They have flash xxemc2 on my phone. Is tjos stable??
10th April 2013, 12:41 PM |#450  
Flag Glasgow

More
Wish I'd come here sooner my S3 stock 4.1.2 XXEMC2 was freezing regularly - from reading above sounds like the eMMC bug - so I gave it into the local samsung service centre who attempted to 'fix' it. I assume they just reflashed it but luckily the engineer didn't just assume it was fixed and actually used it until it froze again. They then escalated it to Samsung who 'fixed' it and returned to the service centre, who again checked it and found it was exact same, so they have sent it back again...

Patiently waiting to see what comes back...

10th April 2013, 12:55 PM |#451  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroujf

Just gotten my phone back from samsung. They have flash xxemc2 on my phone. Is tjos stable??

few people said its fine.
check posts earlier.

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-TS

Hi to all
first I want to say big thank you to the thread creator.
I got SGS3 16gb not rooted , stock.
upgraded to jelly bean a month ago.
since then I felt that the device im a bit slagish but nothing special.
few days ago it started to freeze randomly every 5-15 min.
btw I have "insane chip" if it matters.
so I started to read about the problem.
some post said freeing 25% of internal sd will help.
had 1.80 GB free and now I have 3.3 GB free and it helped,
instead 15-20 freezes a day, I have 3-5, still b4 never had freezes so not good yet.
after reading a bit more also disabled chrome, dont know if it helps yet.
in the next days ill go to the service center.
ill keep update.

SIII 16GB 4.1.2
I9300JKELK4
3.0.31-566833 [email protected] #1 SMP PREEMPT mon Dec 10 2012
build
JZO54K.I9300XXELL4

Edit:
forgot to note that I also had trouble downloading apps as it apeard he had hard time writing to SD. after I made some space (as I told) , now it downloading at full speed.
-so its mean its hardware failure? ???

Update:
1.deleting Chrome hasnt helped at all.
2.so I decided to disable the syncs( like Facebook contact sync) - still no change
3.deleted facebook -,
4. also deleted Cache of alot of apps and **** (used clean master app) - Success!
5. reinstalled chrome.
6. renabled syncs.

No freezes for 2 days. LIKE A BOSS

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
freeze, freezing, lockup, sds, ultimate galaxy s3 unusual freezing thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)