This started about a month after I installed XXEMR2 in order to update the JKay Deluxe framework. It became unbearable and I decided to try something, these were the most logical steps for me to try first and it seems to have done it.
First I restored to the original firmware of my carrier, (4.0.4) even though I bought my phone unbranded, just to have the right settings of the network, you know, frequencies and whatever. Then you have two options, you can either log into the phone and do an OTA (over the air) update to 4.1.2 if it's available in your area/carrier, or you can flash a different firmware. I didn't trust XXEMR2 anymore so I flashed XXEMB5. It has now been 48 hours and no freezes, it seems to be back to normal, although I don't want to be too optimistic, I have my fair amount of experience with Samsung.