2,023 posts
Thanks Meter: 851

By Obagleyfreer, Senior Member on 15th November 2012, 02:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th December 2012, 11:56 PM |#991  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
hey, mine is unfortunately dead too
my question now: i bought it in germany from a internet shop...should i contact them oder should i contact samsung?
thanks

26th December 2012, 02:40 AM |#992  
Flag Pasig
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fressh

my question now: i bought it in germany from a internet shop...should i contact them oder should i contact samsung?
thanks

Contact the internet shop as they may have arrangements with Samsung or a completely different warranty.
26th December 2012, 03:08 AM |#993  
Thanks Meter: 299

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by corb06

What we know so far, is that sudden death has nothing to do with:

-Rooted or non rooted phone
-Stock or non stock kernel
-Custom roms
-Branded phones or unlocked phones
-Heavy duty user or light user with 10 apps installed.
-Original charger or USB charger or any charger for that matter
-Temperature, phones have gone dead in ice cold Sweden and hot Brazil.
-Only quad core phones are affected. The International version. So far US phones are not affected like the Euro phones.

Most phones have died before 200 days of use
Samsung has not admitted there is a mainboard fault, however Samsung repairs all phones on warranty, except those who are accused of waterclogging.
Most dead phones are from the first batch of hardware 1.1 and down.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

add another issue, Most of the reported this, after leaving it on charger overnight.

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by corb06

What we know so far, is that sudden death has nothing to do with:

-Rooted or non rooted phone
-Stock or non stock kernel
-Custom roms
-Branded phones or unlocked phones
-Heavy duty user or light user with 10 apps installed.
-Original charger or USB charger or any charger for that matter
-Temperature, phones have gone dead in ice cold Sweden and hot Brazil.
-Only quad core phones are affected. The International version. So far US phones are not affected like the Euro phones.

Most phones have died before 200 days of use
Samsung has not admitted there is a mainboard fault, however Samsung repairs all phones on warranty, except those who are accused of waterclogging.
Most dead phones are from the first batch of hardware 1.1 and down.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fressh

thanks

Contact Samsung service centre directly.
26th December 2012, 03:09 AM |#994  

More
Thumbs down GS3 sudden death
Me also facing this sudden death problem. had this problem 2 weeks ago when my SGS3 was 6 months old. My notification led was blinking. I tried to turn on the screen (via home & power button), but no response. Removed the battery, turned the battery back and still no response, even not a battery charging icon / notification light when connected to usb charger. Try to change the battery with working S3 but no response as well. Sent to Samsung service center in Kuala Lumpur (Low yat plaza) last week and had to long que to send my phone for warranty (so many people having problem with their phone/tablet as well). They promised me the phone will be repair within 4 working days. After a week i called them and the phone still under repair and the guy from Samsung said that its a power board problem. They are awaiting spare part from Korea. Its nightmare though.

Details:

Purchase date: 22 June 2012
Color: White
Model Name: GT-I9300
ROM/Kernel: Rooted stock ROM
Software: Updated from 4.0.4 to 4.1
Info at the battery: cell made in Korea, assembled in Vietnam
Sent for repair: 18 December 2012
Repair status: Still under repair. expect power board problem as per samsung customer service info. Awaiting spare parts from Korea.
26th December 2012, 04:56 AM |#995  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obagleyfreer

There are beginning to be a lot of threads popping up regarding peoples S3 just suddenly "Dying"

Some while charging over night, others simply not turning on again after screen off.

I've made this thread so everyone that has experienced sudden death cases on their S3 can post here and keep the forums cleaner.

Also it is a lot easier to gather info and find similarities when everything is together.

If you have experienced "SUDDEN DEATH" on your S3 please leave a post with relevant info:

What happened
Where phone was made
Where battery was made
What firmware you were running
Can you access download mode?

If you know what hardware revision you had prior to death then please post and also post your replacement hardware version by using this code in dialer *#12580*369# and posting HW Rev:

***If your phone has been fixed after sudden death please use emmc brick bug check from Play Store and post a screen shot or your eMMC chip info***

For those of you in Europe who have rooted your phone it appears that this doesn't void warranty. Check this thread for more info.

Also this website could prove very handy for anyone with a European or UK handset that has died.

Thanks guys, hopefully we can get to the bottom if this.

UPDATE: After reading through all the posts I think we can almost say that software isn't to blame here. This is most definitely a hardware issue, the most likely being corrupt NAND or faulty batch of main boards.
Obviously we can't say for certain and Samsung are staying very quiet about the issue.
Let's hope this problem has been addressed by Samsung and that the devices are being repaired with revised hardware.

Anyone working for a repair centre or even a Samsung employee that can shed some light please come forward.
THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR A FLAGSHIP DEVICE.

my customer came few days ago , brand new sgs3 , he said he was sms to someone , put phone in he pocket , after few min's was about to send another sms , phone was dead.
i dont have detail's of anything you asked as phone sent to gerrenty , thought i can say , no download mode , no respond in psu nothing .... phone is dead !! i looked for any water damaged , or anything , nothing , phone was brand new.

hope it something fixable on the long run , when ppl will run out of warrenty ......
26th December 2012, 06:07 AM |#996  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
S3 died last night (yay! Happy ****ing Christmas!), plugged in and charging.

I can get into Download mode but it will not boot and I cannot flash - I get a NAND write failure like so:
<ID:0/010> NAND Write Start!! <ID:0/010> <ID:0/010> Complete(Write) operation failed.

The most annoying thing is that I am in Ireland, but I bought the phone in Thailand... and I'm moving to Malaysia in about 8 hours. I'm not sure if I should leave the phone here and have a friend try to get it fixed under warranty as the phone has been flashed with a custom ROM and it shows on the Download screen.

Is this likely the same issue?
26th December 2012, 06:10 AM |#997  

More
Thumbs down My SGS3 died this week
My galaxy s3 died this week in exactly the same way: I connect the charger to the device and slept. when I woke up it was dead!

Shame on Samsung not to announce this and take responsibility.

Replacing the motherboard costs $300 & if you don't have active warranty you better sell your broken device as parts (display, battery , ..) & get yourself a new device (other than galaxy s3) same as what I did. I got an iPhone5 as I'm still cautious about having this issue in Galaxy Note II.
26th December 2012, 06:33 AM |#998  
Flag tunis
Thanks Meter: 236

More
Yours can be fixed with JTAG

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to jay_m3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jay_m3 Ad-Free
26th December 2012, 07:05 AM |#999  

More
Thumbs down let me add to this ..
Ok let me add to the pile of complaints ..

My phone was purchased in Brisbane Australia ( where I live ) .. I am currently visiting family in Canada .. 2 hours ago my phone was at 60% battery so there is no way its the battery .. but for some reason my phone is dead .. tried everything .. plugged it into charger .. nothing .. pulled the battery put it back in .. NOTHING!

Just the WORST time to have my phone die .. so not impressed! I have 14 days to go on holiday with no phone and I can't take in for warranty here in Canada because I bought it on Australia.

I'm running stock Jelly Bean and its been running fine.

This just sucks.
26th December 2012, 07:44 AM |#1000  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Gujarat
Thanks Meter: 58,708

Donate to Me
More
My friend had same
Was working fine till he slept, In morning it was dead. Later on i have check it and No recovery/download mode. Still in service center and said need to change Mobo.
Rooted (CF Auto)
Purchased from -India
Stock ROM and Kernel (latest Indian)
Battery and charger : stock

Just one odd sign, friend was complaining of quite lagging since couple of days, even it was recently clean installed just a week ago and very few application installed. May be it could be coincidence.
26th December 2012, 07:50 AM |#1001  
Thanks Meter: 113

More
K mine died the other night its made in Korea battery made in Vietnam i was running cm 10.1 on it its blue bote in the USA on T-Mobile i was in recovery flashing an update an hocked up to a charger an it never came back up if you need more info please let me know oh an its not even a month of use on it three weeks that's it. Grrr

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)