FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**Ultimate GS3 sudden death thread**

2,023 posts
Thanks Meter: 850
 
By Obagleyfreer, Senior Member on 15th November 2012, 02:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th February 2013, 10:34 AM |#4301  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thumbs down
Seems like the warranty is void when rooting a SGSIII, according to Samsung. My phone was sent in for service, but they concluded that it's been rooted earlier and therefor is the warranty not valid and I had to paid for it to be repaired.
I contacted Samsung VOC regarding root and warranty, and this was what the told me:

Swedish:
Quote:

Tack för ditt mejl.
Just när det gäller en så kallad ”rooting” av mobiltelefoners operativsystem så upphör Samsungs garanti att gälla för produkten, främst då för att en icke auktoriserad serviceverkstads tekniker har låst upp mobilens fasta operativsystem. Därav räknas detta som yttre påverkan och då gäller inte garantin. Ej heller om man som kund installerar operativsystem eller programvara som ej är avsett för produkten. (Exempelvis en felaktig uppdatering eller icke kompatibel programvara som kan vara skadlig för produkten).

Därför kan vi ej nå dina förväntningar på en kostnadsfri åtgärd på din produkt. Jag beklagar men Samsungs garantiföreskrifter kan vi inte ändra på och det är dem vi måste rätta oss efter. Ledsen att jag inte kan hjälpa dig vidare.

Ha en fortsatt bra dag!

Best regards / Med vänliga hälsningar
Peter
Voice of Customer/Reklamationsavdelningen
Samsung Electronics Nordic AB

English via Google Translate:
Quote:

Thank you for your email.
Just in terms of a so-called "rooting" of mobile phones operating system will cease Samsung warranty is valid for the product, primarily to a non-authorized service engineering techniques have unlocked the phone's solid operating system. Hence, this counts as external influences and the warranty valid. Nor if the customer installs the operating system or software that is not intended for the product. (For example, a faulty update or non-compatible software that can be harmful to the product).

Therefore, we can not reach your expectations of a free action on your product. I am sorry but Samsung warranty regulations, we can not change and it is them we have to abide by. Sorry I can not help you further.

Have a good day!

Best regards / Sincerely
Peter
Voice of Customer / Complaints department
Samsung Electronics Nordic AB

How can I respond? What can I do?
 
 
13th February 2013, 10:36 AM |#4302  
CHEVYbarracuda1's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Podgorica
Thanks Meter: 25
 
More
Re: **Ultimate GS3 sudden death thread**
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsson86

Seems like the warranty is void when rooting a SGSIII, according to Samsung. My phone was sent in for service, but they concluded that it's been rooted earlier and therefor is the warranty not valid and I had to paid for it to be repaired.
I contacted Samsung VOC regarding root and warranty, and this was what the told me:

Swedish:


English via Google Translate:


How can I respond? What can I do?

Grab a tissue and cry.. Or go to samsung repair centre and dramatically breal the phone in the main hall

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
13th February 2013, 10:41 AM |#4303  
EtienneBordeaux's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Parañaque
Thanks Meter: 147
 
More
Re: **Ultimate GS3 sudden death thread**
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsson86

Seems like the warranty is void when rooting a SGSIII, according to Samsung. My phone was sent in for service, but they concluded that it's been rooted earlier and therefor is the warranty not valid and I had to paid for it to be repaired.
I contacted Samsung VOC regarding root and warranty, and this was what the told me:

Swedish:


English via Google Translate:


How can I respond? What can I do?

No other way, you have to pay for it. Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my GT-I9300 with Omega v42 + Yank555.lu v3.1i
13th February 2013, 11:00 AM |#4304  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Then this in the first post is incorrect and should be deleted?

Quote:

WARRANTY
For those of you in Europe who have rooted your phone it appears that this doesn't void warranty. Check this thread for more info.
Also this website could prove very handy for anyone with a European or UK handset that has died.

13th February 2013, 11:12 AM |#4305  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Re: **Ultimate GS3 sudden death thread**
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsson86

Then this in the first post is incorrect and should be deleted?

As somebody who also had to pay for getting the main board in my phone replaced just because it was rooted and showed all the signs others have mentioned prior to SDS I agree that any mention of rooting not voiding the warranty in the EU should be removed or at least modified to say Samsung won't agree to it. It was because I'd read all over here that rooting didn't void the warranty that I felt safe enough sending my phone in that state. I've learned my lesson, but I'd hate for anybody else to have to pay what I had to pay and have the absolute hassle I had trying to get Samsung to listen to my point. It still infuriates me that I had to pay for their ****ty hardware fault!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
13th February 2013, 11:22 AM |#4306  
Senior Member
Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 28
 
More
Re: **Ultimate GS3 sudden death thread**
I wonder if there's a fear psychosis now about buying s3 at least from those who know about sds. I certainly am having a rethink given one bad experience.
Surprising that Samsung is taking this so lightly despite us being a small minority.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
13th February 2013, 01:18 PM |#4307  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsboyo

any mention of rooting not voiding the warranty in the EU should be removed or at least modified to say Samsung won't agree to it.

Just because Samsung successfully "got one over on you" doesn't mean they're not breaking EU law in the process. It just means they refused you authoritatively enough that you didn't feel like following up with legal action. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1998801
13th February 2013, 01:55 PM |#4308  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBeer

Just because Samsung successfully "got one over on you" doesn't mean they're not breaking EU law in the process. It just means they refused you authoritatively enough that you didn't feel like following up with legal action. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1998801

It's not that I don't "feel like following up with legal action" it's that I have no clue how to go about it.

I've written to the FSFE website asking them for their help but had no response. It's all very well them telling you that you won't void your warranty by rooting your phone, but if there's no help for you to ensure that you get your full consumer rights it's useless.

I haven't given up on the fight in the slightest. I'm just trying to figure out how to move forward...

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsboyo

It's not that I don't "feel like following up with legal action" it's that I have no clue how to go about it.

I've written to the FSFE website asking them for their help but had no response. It's all very well them telling you that you won't void your warranty by rooting your phone, but if there's no help for you to ensure that you get your full consumer rights it's useless.

I haven't given up on the fight in the slightest. I'm just trying to figure out how to move forward...

Edit: ...And for the record I felt there was nothing I could do. I was without my phone for almost a month, THEY had it and were refusing to fix it unless I paid for it. They're at the other end of the country from where I am. There really was nothing I could do except pay, or get the phone back unfixed. I would like to know what you would have suggested I do in that situation. I was already pissed off that I'd had to do without my phone for so long. As you can imagine, this whole situation has left a very sour taste in my mouth. There are no words strong enough to describe how I feel about Samsung right now!
13th February 2013, 02:01 PM |#4309  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsboyo

I would like to know what you would have suggested I do in that situation.

In most EU countries, legal insurance is available for about 10 euros a month. One call and they jump into action on your behalf. Well worth the money.
13th February 2013, 04:47 PM |#4310  
Kjc99's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Anchorage
Thanks Meter: 226
 
More
Re: **Ultimate GS3 sudden death thread**
@SGSBOYO how did they know your phone was rooted was the Binary count not reset before it died or was it a phone showing signs of SDS and you sent the phone in as it was because of the EU laws?
13th February 2013, 05:09 PM |#4311  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Re: **Ultimate GS3 sudden death thread**
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjc99

@SGSBOYO how did they know your phone was rooted was the Binary count not reset before it died or was it a phone showing signs of SDS and you sent the phone in as it was because of the EU laws?

It hadn't died, it was six months old and started freezing and restarting so I assumed it was gonna die. So I sent it for repair (assuming it would be better/quicker getting it fixed before it did).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to sgsboyo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sgsboyo Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes