Battery Drain On s3 i19305

Search This thread

Cundis

Nov 23, 2012
Stockholm
I tried a reset already, did not seem to work. HAve whats app, skype don't think anything else will take up audio. Skype is off though. Any idea what else it could be?

Thanks

I actually don't know what is causing it, but it is very irritating because it doesn't allow the device to sleep deep.

One thing you can do is to (if you are rooted) install titanium backup. In that app there is an option that can freeze apps, and in that way you can sort out what is causing this by freezing one app at a time.

varun.k

Dec 6, 2010
I actually don't know what is causing it, but it is very irritating because it doesn't allow the device to sleep deep.

One thing you can do is to (if you are rooted) install titanium backup. In that app there is an option that can freeze apps, and in that way you can sort out what is causing this by freezing one app at a time.

My phone is not rooted. Its a month old, don't want to loose the warranty.

Coveman

Dec 31, 2011
I had really bad battery life after rooting my phone and installing RipperRom V10 and after speaking with the creator he suggested turning off 'Location and Google Search' in Locations which for me fixed my battery drain.

Before I did it, my battery would go from 100% to 25% in around 8 hours with little usage. It just sat in my pocket most of the time, I had the occasional 10mins on facebook with Dolphin Browser. The screen would be the reason for the huge usage however it only had 1h on time.

I did as the creator suggested and now im getting 18 hours with far more usage.

Also I downloaded a Battery Calibration tool from the market, so its either one of those two things or prehaps them both that fixed my issue.

!crazy

Dec 16, 2011
LG G6
Xiaomi Poco F3
I had really bad battery life after rooting my phone and installing RipperRom V10 and after speaking with the creator he suggested turning off 'Location and Google Search' in Locations which for me fixed my battery drain.

Before I did it, my battery would go from 100% to 25% in around 8 hours with little usage. It just sat in my pocket most of the time, I had the occasional 10mins on facebook with Dolphin Browser. The screen would be the reason for the huge usage however it only had 1h on time.

Also I downloaded a Battery Calibration tool from the market, so its either one of those two things or prehaps them both that fixed my issue.

Battery calibration tools are useless. All they do is to delete a file with some stats.
There is a nice app called better 'battery stats', this app can help you to pinpoint the problem and what is causing the drain.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Better battery stats showed me exactly what the man said, Android location services were the main reason for high idle drain in my case too.

varun.k

Dec 6, 2010

The google search and location is off, in fact everything under location services is off.

varun.k

Dec 6, 2010
Battery calibration tools are useless. All they do is to delete a file with some stats.
There is a nice app called better 'battery stats', this app can help you to pinpoint the problem and what is causing the drain.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Better battery stats showed me exactly what the man said, Android location services were the main reason for high idle drain in my case too.

I am using better battery stats, still not sure what is using the battery though. Something called audio out is running partial wake lock but not by much.

blisslove

May 12, 2009
Thank you guys! I solved my phone battery drain problem by turning the Location and Google search and Google Now off.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app

blisslove

May 12, 2009
I'm loosing 2% for 8hrs on standby time. Before that 12% for 7hrs.
Not a bit different for screen on time though but I'm happy with that result.

RomSeeker

Feb 23, 2013
i think you need to drain it to 20 - % and than charge it back to 100 and than the device will know the Borders of the battery

but i am not sure...

varun.k

Dec 6, 2010

That is really good, In 6 hours with no use (screen 1 minute) the battery went from 100 to 66.

varun.k

Dec 6, 2010
I have tried everything, and i don't seem to be getting any improvements. I have posted the latest screen shots, does any one have any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-23-12-07-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-23-12-07-58.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot_2013-02-23-12-08-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-23-12-08-05.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot_2013-02-23-12-11-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-23-12-11-52.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_2013-02-23-12-12-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-23-12-12-01.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 126

Madala_ZA

Feb 14, 2011
Johannesburg

Which rom, modem and kernel are you using? Also are you using any other mods or power saving apps?

Your battery drain seems to be the best I've heard of to date. A good battery drain on the 9305 seems to be 2% per hour on standby, if you can even get that. So your config sounds amazing ;)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda premium

DjeMBeY

Dec 23, 2011
London, UK
www.soundcloud.com
I'm very happy with battery life so I'll share some of my tricks how to get more juice.... I'm using Pandoriam ROM, Perseus Kernel, no UV, no OC.

1. Custom ROM & kernel is recommended but NOT essential ;) (most of them includes battery tweaks also they bloat free)
2. Install BBS and check what's drinking your juice... Some of apps are heavy drinkers (Facebook, Twitter etc....) so keep eye on battery after you install new app(s). Don't use Juice Defender, it makes things worst.
3. Disable Google Now & Locations (main juice drinker)
4. Install "Fast Dormancy Toggle" from Play Store and disable it. It safe to use. If you don't use 4g, change Network mode to WCDMA only. Bad signal reception draining more juice as well.
5. Keep screen brightness on manual, as low as possible... obviously ;)
6. Use inverted apps and dark wallpaper if possible, stay away from live wallpapers...
7. Only If you know what you doing, install app called" NoBloat Free" or any other and disable/freeze unimportant processes draining your battery. (Exchange and Samsung Push services are heavy drinkers)
8. AutoSync & NFC - OFF!!
9. Use Original Samsung 1A charger, don't use your laptop to do it....
10. Keep WiFi ON only if you need it, also in advanced settings we have very handy thing called WiFi Timer, can be used to keep it OFF through the night for example....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Reactions: varun.k

varun.k

Dec 6, 2010
Hi thanks for posting that. Can you post the link to the rom, thanks.
Also how do you flash kernal?

Last edited:

Coveman

Dec 31, 2011

I'll give that app a try and report back any findings. If Battery calibration does nothing then the sole reason for my improvement is the Locations and google search setting. Maybe the rom im using has wakelock with it, not sure.

Madala_ZA

Feb 14, 2011
Johannesburg
Kernel is included, you need to choose one in AROMA, during installation... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1974648
Battery life cannot be narrowed down to only rom, kernel, modem etc. It is a combination of all three and more, as well as installed apps. I'm amazed you're getting such good battery life with Pandoriam, it's excellent. Pandoriam has a myriad of options via the Aroma installer. For anyone reading this to get a better idea of how to mirror your setup, or at least attempt to do so, you'd need to post some key information:

1. Exact Aroma options selected, including kernel and theme
2. Kernel - if Perseus, have you tweaked the settings? And if yes, share the details
3. Modem (baseband) - NB
4. Installed apps - this is pretty important because often a rogue app or two can drain battery life
5. Removed bloatware such as ChatOn etc.
6. Any frameworks installed such as Xposed or JKay
7. Any tweak apps installed such as Pimp My Rom or Android Tweaker

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not sure if this is your specific problem - but one thing I've found that kills this phone fast is bad 4G cell reception. By default the phone runs as LTE/GSM/WCDMA (Auto) in Settings->Mobile Networks . If you are in a location with patchy (or none at all) 4G Coverage, the phone wastes an inordinate amount of juice switching to high-power mode on the cell radio searching for the elusive 4G/LTE ... Just like a 3G phone will deplete its battery extremly fast in a location with no/poor 3G connectivity (inside the 'secure' datacentres I wander into occasionally that have cell blockers, I can deplete the battery in a phone in about 3 hours just due to it constantly switching to high-power 'cell search' mode as it has no details on any cells to 'hand off' to....)

The difference is palpable... inside my office, if I have the phone on the right side of my desk closest to some windows, it will receive 'patchy' 4G and I'll go through about 60% battery over about 8-10 hours with intermittent phone use (most of the battery goes to screen time as I'm a 'fiddler' whenever I leave my desk for a coffee/break/etc...) If I place it on the left side of my desk, where the reception is much worse, it'll fall back to 3G and I'll go through about 80% battery doing nothing different...

I'm now in the habit of switching the phone to WCDMA Only when I'm going to be working in the bowels of the building, as there aint no hope of 4G there...Doing this drastically improves battery life.. Likewise if I'm stuck at home over the weekend, I leave it on WCDMA, as where I live has very patchy 4G as well and I only get it if I walk outside and down the street...

Just a possible reason for the excessive drain... at least worth trying anyway... *shrug*
    Just want to share an experience I had yesterday with you guys.

I have not had problems with Audioout_2 in a long time, but yesterday it started to appear all of a sudden. I went through every setting I could think of but couldn't get to the problem.

Almost gave up, but then it hit me. I did an update on the viber app some hours ago! In that update it said there was some improvement in the audio, and I figured this must be it.
    Did a restore to a previous good working state, and voila! Problem gone!

So this thing can really be triggered by a bug in an app. Now it is completely gone in BBS as long as I don't use an app with audio or vibration.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda premium
    I'm very happy with battery life so I'll share some of my tricks how to get more juice.... I'm using Pandoriam ROM, Perseus Kernel, no UV, no OC.

1. Custom ROM & kernel is recommended but NOT essential ;) (most of them includes battery tweaks also they bloat free)
    2. Install BBS and check what's drinking your juice... Some of apps are heavy drinkers (Facebook, Twitter etc....) so keep eye on battery after you install new app(s). Don't use Juice Defender, it makes things worst.
    3. Disable Google Now & Locations (main juice drinker)
    4. Install "Fast Dormancy Toggle" from Play Store and disable it. It safe to use. If you don't use 4g, change Network mode to WCDMA only. Bad signal reception draining more juice as well.
    5. Keep screen brightness on manual, as low as possible... obviously ;)
    6. Use inverted apps and dark wallpaper if possible, stay away from live wallpapers...
    7. Only If you know what you doing, install app called" NoBloat Free" or any other and disable/freeze unimportant processes draining your battery. (Exchange and Samsung Push services are heavy drinkers)
    8. AutoSync & NFC - OFF!!
    9. Use Original Samsung 1A charger, don't use your laptop to do it....
    10. Keep WiFi ON only if you need it, also in advanced settings we have very handy thing called WiFi Timer, can be used to keep it OFF through the night for example....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

djembey, is that an app you're using to dissable apps or is the list in the picture just part of the rom your using?

I'm looking for an app or script to quickly disable apps after flashing new roms. At the moment I have to manually go throug a list I have saved and freeze them one by one in Titanium backup which takes ages.

That's "NoBloat" from PlayStore. Free version is manual so you'll have to do it one by one as well but it's fast, easy and free to use. Payed version have more cool options ;)

Before i had also a problem with the battery who draining 6-10 % (pretty much for dont use the phone) on deep sleep during the night.
    After that i sold and bought a new phone so new battery, no more problems:

After with new phone:
    Turning everything off expect for WIFI/disabaling Google Now during the night 7-8hours = drained 6 %
    Turning everthing off/disabaling Google Now during the night 7-8hours = drained 3 %
    Turning everthing off/disabaling Google Now + Airplane during 7-8hours = 1-2 %
    Killing all applications and clean the memory RAM before to go sleep helps to save a bit battery.

I got 4-6 hours of screen time & can hold 1-2 day with normal usage (and 3 day + 15 hours if i use for light usage)
    This was my personal opinion