FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] [HOW TO] [FIX] MMS sending error on 5.1 to 7.1 AOSP and CM\LOS based roms

2,113 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,418

By DJ aliasz3d, Senior Member on 21st August 2015, 01:05 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Why? a bit of background: With the arrival of Cyanogenmod 12.1 I noticed I could not send or receive MMS messages anymore. This turned out to be the case with all Lollipop 5.1x ROMS Cyanogenmod and AOSP and now on Marshmallow and Nougat. Something had changed in the way it was built that didn't work with my carriers APN. I figured out it was because my carrier uses a double APN so I thought i would try to merge them together and it worked, I now have to do this on every 5.1x ROM i flash so hopefully it will work for you too if your carrier uses a double APN . This seems to work for Telstra users but has worked for other telco users too I can't guarantee it will work for you.

UPDATE
Thanks to @erosco for all his hard work, determination and troubleshooting to come up with a solution for all User's of the GT-I9305, and more than likely other Galaxy models (and possibly other devices) out there that use a separate APN for Internet and MMS. erosco has stated that he added
ro.telephony.mms_data_profile=5
to his build.prop and he was able to get MMS working. @rodman01 has stated he will add this fix for user's in the future rom releases for his roms to have it "out of the box" ,also I can't thank @erosco enough for finding a proper solution, please hit his thanks button http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...0/post69843704 for solving this for us. Also attached is a screenshot erosco took to show what the build.prop should look like.
The app used in the screen shot is BuidProp Editor by JRummy you can download it here from playstore --> BuildProp Editor .To make it easier to give support please use that app if you are experiencing issues.

Ok so Basically I have by default a APN for data and another for MMS like in the first screenshot, but the way my APN is set by default it turns 4g to ! (on Marshmallow data doesn't break but just keeps saying sending MMS) When I send a MMS . So what I did was copy the APN information in MMS APN to the MMS section which was blank in the data APN like in the screenshots. The 2 and 3 screenshot is my default MMS APN so I copied that to the MMS section of the data APN like you can see in 4 and 5 screenshot to merge it .leave it as is but just add the MMS stuff were it applies and add MMS to APN type for instance my APN type now looks like this default,supl,mms also don't forget to add MMSC address and do not delete MMS APN ( thanks to @Fritly for the info) or it won't work. If you are still unable to use MMS read and try this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=4063 thanks to @noc.jfcbs and @Wood Man If their posts help please hit their thanks button.
Hope this helps if anyone has anymore questions just ask I'll be glad to help. Thanks to @Anghirrim for testing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1440115436139.jpg
Views:	2228
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	3446097   Click image for larger version

Name:	1440115463405.jpg
Views:	2186
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	3446098   Click image for larger version

Name:	1440115479941.jpg
Views:	2132
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	3446099   Click image for larger version

Name:	1440115501825.jpg
Views:	2034
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	3446100   Click image for larger version

Name:	1440115515460.jpg
Views:	1974
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	3446101   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_17205-attachment.php1754560385.png
Views:	780
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	3953113  
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DJ aliasz3d For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DJ aliasz3d Ad-Free

22nd August 2015, 05:00 AM |#2  
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 2,230

More
This is only for people who has troubles with mms.I have no such problems so I don't need to do this 😃😃

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to winxuser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift winxuser Ad-Free
22nd August 2015, 05:11 AM |#3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by winxuser

This is only for people who has troubles with mms.I have no such problems so I don't need to do this 😃😃

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Free mobile app

Yes on optus a double apn works so you don't need to do it, its for people who can't send mms because of the way there telco (mine is telstra) uses the double apn.
Edit: updated thread with a clearer explanation
16th September 2015, 05:55 PM |#4  
Flag Kolding
Thanks Meter: 29

Donate to Me
More
Do you have to keep the old MMS apn together with the merged APN? People only receive a link when i send an MMS
17th September 2015, 02:43 AM |#5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelugaHval

Do you have to keep the old MMS apn together with the merged APN? People only receive a link when i send an MMS

Hi, I didn't delete my mms apn but you could try, just make sure you write it down just in case you need it later. Could you post a couple of screen shots of your merged apn for me to look at? Is your data connection breaking? if it's sending than its working so it may be another problem.
17th September 2015, 03:17 PM |#6  
Flag Kolding
Thanks Meter: 29

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias_ z3d

Hi, I didn't delete my mms apn but you could try, just make sure you write it down just in case you need it later. Could you post a couple of screen shots of your merged apn for me to look at? Is your data connection breaking? if it's sending than its working so it may be another problem.

I attached a couple of screenshots, no my data-connection isnt breaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-17 14.16.08.png
Views:	396
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	3476833   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-17 14.16.29.png
Views:	396
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	3476834  
The Following User Says Thank You to BelugaHval For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BelugaHval Ad-Free
19th September 2015, 02:46 AM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelugaHval

I attached a couple of screenshots, no my data-connection isnt breaking.

Thanks the settings in apn are right. Before I changed mine my data connection would just drop out when I send an mms, but with the merged apn it doesn't and the mms sends but I'm not sure why yours is just sending a link if I figure it out I'll get back to you.
26th October 2015, 01:39 PM |#8  
Flag Poland
Thanks Meter: 79

More
I tried it about month ago on 3 different lollipops roms. Didn't work unfortunately. My friend said the same.
10th February 2016, 01:43 AM |#9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atexor

I tried it about month ago on 3 different lollipops roms. Didn't work unfortunately. My friend said the same.

Hi sorry only just came back on forum been away. Did you press save APN in the top right hand corner afterwards? cause I just tried and it didn't work till I did on bliss pop
10th February 2016, 08:21 AM |#10  
Flag Poland
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias_ z3d

Hi sorry only just came back on forum been away. Did you press save APN in the top right hand corner afterwards? cause I just tried and it didn't work till I did on bliss pop

No problem. I'm still working on CM11

And for your question - yes. I saved every time and I tried different combinations with APNs. I hope on Marshmallow it will work (or works yet, I haven't time to check it).

I tried it with CM12 and RR. Great ROMs, but those MMS... :/
The Following User Says Thank You to Atexor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Atexor Ad-Free
10th February 2016, 10:21 AM |#11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atexor

No problem. I'm still working on CM11

And for your question - yes. I saved every time and I tried different combinations with APNs. I hope on Marshmallow it will work (or works yet, I haven't time to check it).

I tried it with CM12 and RR. Great ROMs, but those MMS... :/

OK. If you get sick of KitKat and you do want to use a lollipop ROM with working MMS try 5.0 ROMs like cm 12.0 instead of 12.1, MMS works on 5.0 the problem only started occurring on 5.1. My giude only works for 50% of people for some reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ aliasz3d For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DJ aliasz3d Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)