FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOW TO] [Q&A] How to best phrase a request to receive the most suitable answer?

5,033 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,840

By Oswald Boelcke, Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator on 24th June 2016, 09:25 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th June 2016, 08:30 AM |#11  
Moderator Committee / Senior Moderator / XDA Labs Contributor / Forest Keeper
Forest stage inhabited by robot bats, mechanical hares and atomic chickens
Thanks Meter: 15,887

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by limjh16

This is a very good thread, contribution and idea. The only problem to me is that it is in a secluded forum (quite) you may want to ask a moderator to move this to general forums or such.

Yes I was thinking quite the same. I'm not sure this thread is at the right place. But in another hand I think it could be a good idea to keep it in dev forum because the purpose is to advertise members to post the right way in dev threads. It could be discussed

25th June 2016, 08:39 AM |#12  
Flag Sagamihara\Tōkyō
Thanks Meter: 349

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLooDW

Yes I was thinking quite the same. I'm not sure this thread is at the right place. But in another hand I think it could be a good idea to keep it in dev forum because the purpose is to advertise members to post the right way in dev threads. It could be discussed

Let me give you my 2cents:
The thread, no doubt, is in the wrong forum, but it should be pinned and given the highest priority. It is so effin useful.
The idea behind it is so good. Really. It makes me jealous. I will try and formulate some examples for @noc.jfcbs to add to the OP to further help newbies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 西村大一 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 西村大一 Ad-Free
25th June 2016, 09:14 AM |#13  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_the_B0ss

The thread, no doubt, is in the wrong forum, but it should be pinned and given the highest priority. It is so effin useful.
The idea behind it is so good. Really. It makes me jealous. I will try and formulate some examples for @noc.jfcbs to add to the OP to further help newbies.

Well, good point

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

However if we move this thread in Q&A section, I think it won't be read that much before newbies post in DEV forum... Even if it's pinned in Q&A section.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wood Man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wood Man Ad-Free
25th June 2016, 09:21 AM |#14  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 1,048

More
I really think it should be pinned in dev forum so newbies read before posting there, but it would also be inappropriate for dev forums...

Or it should go to general forum and pinned and linked to all dev forums. But then again if we link it some may not see (I'm guilty of this sometimes ) should I page a moderator? Or I think we should wait for noc.jfcbs to make his own decision

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Labs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to limjh16 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift limjh16 Ad-Free
25th June 2016, 09:30 AM |#15  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by limjh16

I really think it should be pinned in dev forum so newbies read before posting there, but it would also be inappropriate for dev forums...

Or it should go to general forum and pinned and linked to all dev forums. But then again if we link it some may not see (I'm guilty of this sometimes ) should I page a moderator? Or I think we should wait for noc.jfcbs to make his own decision

In any case we have to wait noc.jfcbs's point of view and then we'll ask a moderator.
25th June 2016, 10:54 AM |#16  
OP Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Flag Establishing Air Supremacy over XDA - Standby!

More
@FLooDW, @limjh16: I've got to know both of you as very experienced and highly motivated Android enthusiasts in xda. Just looking at my joining date, I'm still a newbie on this site, and I personally rather take advice from guys with more experiences.
However, before I opened this thread I certainly thought of its right place, and I had all location you mentioned above under closer consideration but I finally decide to open the thread in the current forum for this reason: I remembered which the first forum was that I used when I initially came to xda. It wasn't any "general forum" or "Q&A" but the current one. I was in interested in ROM, kernel etc. for my specific device. Additionally, I thought if the thread doesn't fit here a mod is certainly going to move it to the right place.

Having followed your discussion I meanwhile believe the topic of this thread is much more generic and not at all related to a specific device and therefore should deserve a different location on xda. On the other hand, and that's a bit selfish, I'd like to support the forums and threads I'm used to mainly monitor by qualified posts of "newbies". Currently two hearts are beating in my breast; probably I'd rather be egoistic.
25th June 2016, 11:07 AM |#17  
Flag Singapore

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by noc.jfcbs

@FLooDW, @limjh16: I've got to know both of you as very experienced and highly motivated Android enthusiasts in xda. Just looking at my joining date, I'm still a newbie on this site, and I personally rather take advice from guys with more experiences.
However, before I opened this thread I certainly thought of its right place, and I had all location you mentioned above under closer consideration but I finally decide to open the thread in the current forum for this reason: I remembered which the first forum was that I used when I initially came to xda. It wasn't any "general forum" or "Q&A" but the current one. I was in interested in ROM, kernel etc. for my specific device. Additionally, I thought if the thread doesn't fit here a mod is certainly going to move it to the right place.

Having followed your discussion I meanwhile believe the topic of this thread is much more generic and not at all related to a specific device and therefore should deserve a different location on xda. On the other hand, and that's a bit selfish, I'd like to support the forums and threads I'm used to mainly monitor by qualified posts of "newbies". Currently two hearts are beating in my breast; probably I'd rather be egoistic.

in that case, do you think it will be a good idea to include this in every rom thread? I will definitely quote this OP in all my rom, kernel etc threads with your permission. And we can always page for rodman
25th June 2016, 11:14 AM |#18  
Recognized Themer / Contributor
Flag Allgäu
Thanks Meter: 9,558

More
Allow me to make a suggestion, even or although it might be, that this couldn't be implemented in the forum system. Because of the reason that the 10 post rule seems to be cancelled (?), what do you think about, when ever a new member is willing to post a comment in a dev thread, he would get a pop up with a link to your, will say this post. Or in that pop up the message is already included. It might be a bit strict, but its mentioned without offense. I can understand, that most of the people and new users, want to get an answer soon or even at once, to their individual questions or problems and this without doing something of themselves. They want it presented or spoon feeded (@FLooDW ). And this also a matter of our current life style , in my opinion. But on the other hand, for example you and FLooDW and several others are taking their time to find solutions, to answer again and again and individually and user friendly. Porters or devs, if they are not also and additionally answer regularly in their threads, are spending their time with the roms they provide. So I think, if you/we request a bit time from the other users, that would not only be fair. It would also show a kind or certain respect to the time and effort other users are spending to support the others in which way ever....
Beside of that I personally would appreciate and prefer that this thread would be pinned here in the dev section...

Just my thoughts....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rodman01 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rodman01 Ad-Free
25th June 2016, 11:22 AM |#19  
Flag Singapore

More
I'm just going to go ahead and ping @Trafalgar Square
I have an idea (not a very good / original one) that there is a pinned post in dev section that links to this thread. Not exactly this thread goes onto every forum, more of the pinned post redirects here

or if possible, rodman 's suggestion
26th June 2016, 09:40 AM |#20  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_the_B0ss

@Alexander_the_B0ss: I'm getting shyly by your kind words but looking forward to your highly appreciated advice and suggestions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oswald Boelcke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Oswald Boelcke Ad-Free
26th June 2016, 10:09 AM |#21  

More
@rodman01, @limjh16, @FLooDW: Friends, I didn't anticipated or expected to raise such a discussion when I created this thread. I'm slightly overwhelmed.
All your arguments are completely correct, and I don't have the solution. Probably, the idea to approach a moderator is a good initial step. I don't mind where the thread is located but I hope it's going to find the most suitable place to support those asking for advice and help, and to facilitate providing the best advice and help.
Furthermore, I personally hope that rodman01's thoughts can be technically taken further; these ideas are somehow fascinating.

P.S. Sorry, again out of "thanks" for today...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oswald Boelcke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Oswald Boelcke Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
how to, kernel, q&a, rom

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)