[Q] Uprade regular S3 to LTE S3?

Search This thread

vasp3690

Apr 23, 2012
For those who speak without knowing...

I have both i9300/9305.

Recently I bought a replacement lcd for the i9305 and was told that these are specific to the model and an lcd from the i9300 would not fit.

This is wrong. I have managed to use the i9300 motherboard on the i9305 LCD+midframe without issues. Also the fitment of all the peripherals such as antenna, front and rear facing cameras, buttons, film cables fit identically. All back plates, screws, heat absorber locations are the same.

I cannot be sure of the antenna module as its function so I ordered one for the i9305.

However, if the intention of the OP is to fit an LTE motherboard from a i9305 to a i9300 chassis, then its possible.

HOWEVER, an lte version from the US models wont work due to different configuration of the processor. For that you need the lcd made for that version of motherboard.

Hope it helps

Last edited:

chismay

May 5, 2011
LONDON

I have both i9300/9305.

Recently I bought a replacement lcd for the i9305 and was told that these are specific to the model and an lcd from the i9300 would not fit.

This is wrong. I have managed to use the i9300 motherboard on the i9305 LCD+midframe without issues. Also the fitment of all the peripherals such as antenna, front and rear facing cameras, buttons, film cables fit identically. All back plates, screws, heat absorber locations are the same.

I cannot be sure of the antenna module as its function so I ordered one for the i9305.

However, if the intention of the OP is to fit an LTE motherboard from a i9305 to a i9300 chassis, then its possible.

HOWEVER, an lte version from the US models wont work due to different configuration of the processor. For that you need the lcd made for that version of motherboard.

Hope it helps

AND THAT ladies n gents wraps up this convo.:highfive:

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
If OP lives in the US or Canada, don't. It drops 1900 MHz support, which is crucial for AT&T's and most other carriers' 3G/HSPA+. Additionally it doesn't support any US LTE frequencies (AT&T is 700 MHz).

Last edited:

vasp3690

Apr 23, 2012
Yes. My experience is between i9300 to i9305.

The going from i9300 to a US based motherboard doesn't work. It also isn't very cost effective either as getting a new lcd for the us based motherboard costs around 160€ and the motherboard around the same, hence you can get a used s3 for that money and keep the previous for spare parts.

vasp3690

Apr 23, 2012
I think the fight here is two fights.
Is it possible? and is it worth it?

They are mixed in all the argument. It was funny to read the thread.

I think every one is right depending on the question.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Premium HD app

If you can get a cheap lte i9305 that is being sold for parts then it can be worth it as I have bought before a motherboard alone off an s3 for 120euro. So if the rest of the parts from your phone work ok, then you have a working phone.

In this instance I would add the antenna for 12£ and that's it.

A new motherboard from samsung as a repair service would be close to 200€ so you'd have to weigh the cash.

DjeMBeY

Dec 23, 2011
London, UK
www.soundcloud.com

I have both i9300/9305.

Hope it helps

We can talk about forever but since you've got both phones, make it work and proof that we're wrong!!!! Open both phones, put S3 LTE motherboard ONLY in S3 casing and test it. It's going to take you 30min and we'll all know for sure. Simple as that. End of story.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app

vasp3690

Apr 23, 2012
We can talk about forever but since you've got both phones, make it work and proof that we're wrong!!!! Open both phones, put S3 LTE motherboard ONLY in S3 casing and test it. It's going to take you 30min and we'll all know for sure. Simple as that. End of story.

I just said that I did the opposite.

Doesnt that prove the same point?

I took a i9300 motherboard in a Lte i9305 casing and it worked fine.

You are playing with words now so that you are not proven wrong. For what the op is asking, the answer is YES it works so long as you also fit the LTE antenna which you can buy on ebay for 10£.

Besides the op is asking what parts he will need.

So the parts are: LTE motherboard+ LTE antenna.

The rest are the same as the i9300 and can be reused.

Happy now?

Reactions: TSO of Stormwind

CalInTheZone

Dec 23, 2008
Copenhagen
Sv: [Q] Uprade regular S3 to LTE S3?

No it does not the non lte cabinet is missing some parts the lte board needs and not the other way around.

With the non lte cabinet with the lte board you will not get full lte coverage.

Swyped on my Galaxy S III LTE

vasp3690

Apr 23, 2012
Can you elaborate on those parts please?

While comparing the lcd+middle frame off an LTE model I couldn't see any peripheral parts that I could transfer from one phone to the other that were different in the lte version.

If there are, I'd like to know as well.

Last edited:

CalInTheZone

Dec 23, 2008
Copenhagen

Because a module plugs in does not equal full functionality. An lte antenna is not the same as a 3g antenna.

CalInTheZone

Dec 23, 2008
Copenhagen

It's that not enough? You can't just take a 9305 board and put it in a 9300 and have it working flawlessly. You can rebuild a Fiat 127 to become a Ferrari Enzo just a matter of exchanging enough parts...

vasp3690

Apr 23, 2012
It's that not enough? You can't just take a 9305 board and put it in a 9300 and have it working flawlessly. You can rebuild a Fiat 127 to become a Ferrari Enzo just a matter of exchanging enough parts...

Then could you just read my posts before pointlessly writing on the thread?

Its just a couple of lines above. Go on now. Posted at 15:09 GMT time

CalInTheZone

Dec 23, 2008
Copenhagen

You said that it could be done either way... I said it could not. Now say what ever you want! You were wrong! Just because you noticed you were wrong and deliberately left out the antenna does not make you right. You can't put the 9305 board into the 9300 shell perhaps vice versa but not 100% perfect. If that were the case Samsung have done nothing to optimize the antenna in both devices.

vasp3690

Apr 23, 2012
You said that it could be done either way... I said it could not. Now say what ever you want! You were wrong! Just because you noticed you were wrong and deliberately left out the antenna does not make you right. You can't put the 9305 board into the 9300 shell perhaps vice versa but not 100% perfect. If that were the case Samsung have done nothing to optimize the antenna in both devices.

You must have a problem with time and vision. My post in regards to what is required to do such change that the OP is asking was made way before you decided to contribute with a meaningless post.

Just because you fail to read carefully I will rephrase it for you so that the few remaining brain cells can understand.

To go from an i9300 to an i9305 ALL YOU NEED IS A LTE MOTHERBOARD AND LTE ANTENNA. Both fit the i9300 case and work nicely. The opposite is also possible. I can use a i9305 case and fit an i9300 motherboard and/or i9300 antenna and the phone will be an i9300.

Samsung can make and call spares with different code numbers for profit reasons as well. Don't be so gullible ...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you're thinking of literally removing a faulty SoC off your I9300 board and replacing it with the I9305 equivalent:
    No. Don't do it. That's the worst idea I've heard in years.

If you're thinking of using an I9305 motherboard as a replacement for your I9300 board:
    I started writing a very long post here about why you can't use most of the I9300 internals, but honestly it's neither interesting nor worth the bother to type.

In short, here is a list of things you can use from the I9300:
    -Cameras.
    -Battery.
    -The rear outer plastic case,
    -Volume/power switches.
    -Proximity sensor.
    -Vibration motor.
    -Screws, gaskets, etc.
    -Assorted minor components which didn't spring to mind.

You can't use the frame, or the antenna. You might be able to re-use the display, screen, and touchscreen controller; but have fun trying to remove the former two from the frame without damaging them or rendering them unusable. Heat guns are out, for a start.

Compared to buying a new I9305, you won't save much money, if any, and it might conceivably cost more to get all these things separately. It would also take you a lot of time, which carries its own cost.

Believe it or not, portable electronic devices bear little resemblance to cars.
    I don't think you realize how similar the i9300 and i9305 are, lol. They are literally the same except the chips on the motherboard. Oh well. Until someone tries it there is no point in throwing your 15 years of experience into the mix. Thanks for putting yourself on a pedestal though. It's always nice to meet someone who thinks they're better than everyone else. :rolleyes: Have a nice weekend.

Nice to know that they put a LTE antenna into the non LTE device... That is no waste... hint: Google GH59-12159B and GH59-12657C... in other words you are SO wrong.

I have both i9300/9305.

Hope it helps
    Hehe, nice one ;) You've answered you question in last part... " not possible.." :D There's solution for you: Sell S3 add few ££ and voila ;)

---------- Post added at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

I think it is possible. But when you change to i9305 you will loose the possibilities of using different and official CM roms or other AOSP roms. Most of the custom firmwares available for i9305 are Samsung based.

Are you mad or something? ??? How you going to add more RAM and LTE radio based on completely different chipset??? Soldering? ?? Hahahahaha.... wake up!! ;)

I just said that I did the opposite.

Doesnt that prove the same point?

I took a i9300 motherboard in a Lte i9305 casing and it worked fine.

You are playing with words now so that you are not proven wrong. For what the op is asking, the answer is YES it works so long as you also fit the LTE antenna which you can buy on ebay for 10£.

Besides the op is asking what parts he will need.

So the parts are: LTE motherboard+ LTE antenna.

The rest are the same as the i9300 and can be reused.

Happy now?