FORUMS

[Q] Force GPU rendering?

1,961 posts
Thanks Meter: 353

Post Reply Email Thread
Ever since this has been an available option on any device I have used, I have ticked 'force GPU rendering' in developer options as it appears to make scrolling on the device smoother. I have done this without understanding the technical implications of doing so.
Could somebody kindly explain the pros and cons of implementing this and, if the general concensus is improvement in the operation of this device, why is the setting un-ticked by default?
ie. How is Mr. (or Mrs.) average user supposed to correctly set up his (or her) device for optimal performance without knowledge of such things.
Shouldn't the optimum performance of a device be automatically set up 'out of the box' ??
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bobsie41 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bobsie41 Ad-Free
15th October 2012, 12:22 PM |#2  
Flag Ahmedabad
Thanks Meter: 20

More
me too have the same question
15th October 2012, 12:28 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
I read somewhere that not all apps are compatible when force gpu rendering is turned on
So its not turned on by default.

Edit : i personally havent come across any apps which arent compatable

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to tele27 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tele27 Ad-Free
15th October 2012, 12:31 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hornsea

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele27

I read somewhere that not all apps are compatible when force gpu rendering is turned on

No, I haven't either.
Anybody have any examples?
15th October 2012, 12:31 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Madurai-Chennai
Thanks Meter: 7,076

Donate to Me
More
By default only the apps that has a flag enabled in manifest file uses GPU rendering. Forcing the GPU rendering bypasses that flag check and renders the app via GPU.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bala_gamer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bala_gamer Ad-Free
15th October 2012, 12:32 PM |#6  
Flag near Novi Sad
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock4hell

me too have the same question

+1

Sent from my GT-I9000
15th October 2012, 12:36 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hornsea

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala_gamer

By default only the apps that has a flag enabled in manifest file uses GPU rendering. Forcing the GPU rendering bypasses that flag check and renders the app via GPU.

Thanks for your answer and sorry to be a noob but can you explain the implications so my retarded relation can understand it? (and me )
15th October 2012, 01:16 PM |#8  
Flag Doha
Thanks Meter: 609

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsie41

Thanks for your answer and sorry to be a noob but can you explain the implications so my retarded relation can understand it? (and me )

It will be faster, but some apps might not work properly, force close or get glitches.
If you have no issues with any app you use, keep it on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skander1998 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Skander1998 Ad-Free
15th October 2012, 03:53 PM |#9  
Flag County of Osnabrück, Lower Saxony, Germany
Thanks Meter: 595

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsie41

Ever since this has been an available option on any device I have used, I have ticked 'force GPU rendering' in developer options as it appears to make scrolling on the device smoother. I have done this without understanding the technical implications of doing so.
Could somebody kindly explain the pros and cons of implementing this and, if the general concensus is improvement in the operation of this device, why is the setting un-ticked by default?
ie. How is Mr. (or Mrs.) average user supposed to correctly set up his (or her) device for optimal performance without knowledge of such things.
Shouldn't the optimum performance of a device be automatically set up 'out of the box' ??

It saves the CPU from doing more work than needed, yet it causes most games to lag insanely.
It allows the CPU to run at lower frequencies, yet uses more battery, because the GPU is used more.
It makes UI-usage a lot less laggy, yet like I already said, it's only in the SystemUI..
And I have no other pros, only cons.
I prefer to have it off, saves me battery, I can play more graphic-intense games with a lot less lag.

Hope I could help!

LG familyguy59/Beatsleigher
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Beatsleigher For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Beatsleigher Ad-Free
15th January 2013, 04:14 PM |#10  
Flag Mountain view, CA
Thanks Meter: 241

More
Enabling this preference in developer options offloads task of rendering window components like buttons, text and complex 2d graphics calculations to GPU. This often results in much faster UI rendering including animations.
On one side you will definitely achieve better frame rate (and hence smooth experience) throughout system, but you may end up using more battery. On certain devices, GPU consumes more power the CPU, hence you may observe 5-15% lower battery life with option enabled.

I would recommend having this option enabled on devices with weaker CPUs e.g. You should seldom need to enable this on dual-core 1.4ghz ARM CPU.

offloading UI rendering to GPU has obvious benefits so that CPU can work on other important tasks like database IO, data manipulation, layout calculations and responding to other user inputs.
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to taranfx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift taranfx Ad-Free
17th January 2013, 02:23 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele27

Galaxy s3 user's digest app. When for gpu rendering is on. The app doesnt open.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)