How to produce a temporarily defect S III I9300?

Search This thread

cm_new

Nov 24, 2017
Sorry for a very strange problem.... My wife still uses her old S III (I9300), although it is so outdated and partly broken. Some time ago we flashed CM 12, so that some apps who need a more up-to-date android can be used. But the phone is too slow, there is a crack in the display and sometimes it starts to reboot without any reason. There is not enough memory to install additional apps and without LTE it is no fun.

=> I want to buy a new smartphone for her, but she doesn't want to. She wants to save money and use it, until it is not usable any more.

Of course I could give it a good strike with a hammer or give it a treatment in the microwave oven, but I would prefer only a temporary lack of functions, so that perhaps later I can use it as backup phone for the kids. Therefore I am looking for some trick, app or system setting to SIMULATE, that the phone is broken. When she is happy with her new phone, I intend to "repair" it "by chance"....

Any ideas? How can I simulate, that the phone is broken? Thanks!

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I think the simplest way may be to take the phone, create a backup of all data, put the phone into download mode, start flashing a stock ROM, remove the USB cable when it starts to flash the final file, and reboot the phone. Hopefully, the phone will display the "firmware upgrade encountered an error" message which can be resolved by re-flashing the stock ROM with Odin.

Based on my experience with flashing a stock ROM over a stock ROM, this procedure always leaves the data and apps intact.

Reactions: cm_new

ArdaCsknn

May 1, 2015
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
Thanks for the reply! I googled, but i think i want to SOFTbrick it, not to hardbrick it. As I wrote above, I want to "revive" it after some time.... :D

Ah,sorry I read it but while replying I forgot somehow.Yeah, then you need to soft brick it :D.It can be achieved by deleting some system files.So phone can got into bootloop.If your wife doesnt now how to get in to recovery then you should be ok.

Reactions: cm_new

shivadow

Jan 26, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
Stock rooted phone needed for this, activate factory app. It will give a black window with device information over everything onscreen. Disable factory app to remove it later on.

By flashing the stock firmware in an attempt to make it all better gives the perfect opportunity to pretend the process buggered it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think the simplest way may be to take the phone, create a backup of all data, put the phone into download mode, start flashing a stock ROM, remove the USB cable when it starts to flash the final file, and reboot the phone. Hopefully, the phone will display the "firmware upgrade encountered an error" message which can be resolved by re-flashing the stock ROM with Odin.

Based on my experience with flashing a stock ROM over a stock ROM, this procedure always leaves the data and apps intact.
    Thanks for the reply! I googled, but i think i want to SOFTbrick it, not to hardbrick it. As I wrote above, I want to "revive" it after some time.... :D

Ah,sorry I read it but while replying I forgot somehow.Yeah, then you need to soft brick it :D.It can be achieved by deleting some system files.So phone can got into bootloop.If your wife doesnt now how to get in to recovery then you should be ok.