[Q] Rooted GS3 warranty refused for a hardware problem?

Search This thread

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
If you're rooted and haven't adequately covered your tracks, your warranty will be rejected. They will charge you.

There's no getting your money back.

On the positive side, you've learned your lesson about not covering your tracks. Im sure next time you'll ensure things like flash counters are kept reset etc

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
1) like I wrote in general > sticky roll-up > understanding the basics before rooting, the eu law stands for nothing. As thousands of us Europeans will tell you, they WILL reject warranty if you're rooted (you're not the first believe it or not). The eu law says they must prove root broke the phone. They never bother. No one has got their money back.

I agree that they are hiding behind the root clause, however you yourself are hiding behind eu "law". Every rom thread (and the sticky threads here) tell you rooting voids warranty.

2) the idea is being prepared ahead of time. If you don't sort out covering your tracks whilst your phone is working, well then there's nothing you can do. Again, all this covered in the warranty section of general > sticky roll-up thread > understanding the basics before rooting

Do I think you got a bad deal? Yes. You and thousands of other people. However its well documented and a bit of reading in advance and it all could have been avoided

Its pointless to get angry. It wont help. There's nothing you can so. No avenue to help. Story ends.

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

Last edited:
Reactions: Danh2009

wangdaning

Sep 17, 2012
Wuxi
The other problem is Samsung did not sell you the phone. They sold it to a distributor or carrier who you then bought it from.

You might have made a claim if you sent it to the place of purchase.

wangdaning

Sep 17, 2012
Wuxi
Purchase place wouldn't even listen to my problem since their warranty time (1 year) was over. Samsung warranties 2 years.

Samsung, however, is not legally obligated to give you a warranty. They offer a conditional 2 year warranty and really have the right to refuse to uphold it for any reason they please.

It sucks you had to pay when the rooting had nothing to do with the brick (I am assuming). What I am saying is even under EU law, Samsung has no obligation as they did not sell you the device.

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsungs warranty is a limited warranty subject to the rules they decide to put in place .
One of which is root voids warranty custom roms void warranty .
This warning is plastered all over XDA .

Some place on the web is the service letter Samsung sent out to repair centres telling them what to look for regarding signs of rooting and custom roms . Since when Samsung have added indicators of such .

jje

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
I really don't know if i'll buy Samsung again... though i do not believe in perfect devices etc. everything can fail but i am expecting from the vendor and the producer to be at least a little bit honest.[/QUOTE]

Why when many customers are dishonest .

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Why when many customers are dishonest .

Are you meening i am dishonest in this case?

>>>I did not post any such thing .

Your first post was just ignorant of Samsungs warranty policies .

Being an industrial giant doesn't meen you're allowed to do whatever you want, and possibly break the law, just because you wrote whatever (abusive?) contract clause on a piece of paper. Or we would have billions of abusive clauses like this one... Too easy

>>Its not an abusive contract clause they broke no law .
You bought the phone your phone vendor is responsible not Samsung .
They may have broke a law by refusing warranty or not .

Samsung offer an extra limited warranty on top of your vendors warranty limited and up to them what restrictions they put on that policy .Dont like it then buy a product without this extra free warranty .

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
JJE,

I perfectly know Samsung's warranty policies. And i knew them before rooting.

I don't know in which country you are, but here in France (and more generaly in EU), producers (not only vendors) must warranty their product for hardware failure for 2 years, undependantly of software matters. It is their minimum legal obligation. That's the law. End of story.

The limited warranty (!= legal warranty EVERY SINGLE producer must give) that Samsung "adds" to it's legal obligations can only widen the minimum legal warranty (e.g the 2 years against hardware failure) and it can NOT narrow it down with limitations of their choice.

The point is, when you say "Samsung offer an extra limited warranty on top of your vendors warranty", it is simply not true.
Samsung does not offer an extra warranty compared to what the law forces them to offer. On the contrary, their limited warranty narrows the law down.

Now, in my case, yes my phone was rooted and i didn't even try to deny it. I had never flashed any custom rom nor did i overclock it nor did anything that may have overloaded/overheated it. Just removed the simlock, that's all.

So, when 2 different pieces of hardware in the phone fall apart, one of those going down less than 10 days AFTER they took it in tech service once
+ considering the fact that it is a problem that several customers have had (sudden death + others) :
Can I, honestly, be expected to be nice, shut up and accept being extorted 99€ for a lousy hardware (at least in the case of the copy i got from stock) ?

Anyway, i could whine for hours like this :)
I contacted Samsung (and legal services who deal with such cases) in France. I'll keep the readers posted about what comes next.

What a load of nonsense please bother to actually read the law and the EU law .
Samsung are not the vendor EU law does not apply fact to the extra warranty.
It is the vendor this EU law applies to not the manufacturer .
Really you have a idea that x is x fine i disagree and so far so does Samsung .
End

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Your beef then is with where you bought the device, not samsung. So you would have the same beef if you bought Nokia and they wouldn't hear you out

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1) like I wrote in general > sticky roll-up > understanding the basics before rooting, the eu law stands for nothing. As thousands of us Europeans will tell you, they WILL reject warranty if you're rooted (you're not the first believe it or not). The eu law says they must prove root broke the phone. They never bother. No one has got their money back.

I agree that they are hiding behind the root clause, however you yourself are hiding behind eu "law". Every rom thread (and the sticky threads here) tell you rooting voids warranty.

2) the idea is being prepared ahead of time. If you don't sort out covering your tracks whilst your phone is working, well then there's nothing you can do. Again, all this covered in the warranty section of general > sticky roll-up thread > understanding the basics before rooting

Do I think you got a bad deal? Yes. You and thousands of other people. However its well documented and a bit of reading in advance and it all could have been avoided

Its pointless to get angry. It wont help. There's nothing you can so. No avenue to help. Story ends.

-----------------------
    Sent via tapatalk.