[SOLVED] Galaxy S3 Not Charging At All!! 15% in 3 hours!

Search This thread

Paresh Kalinani

Apr 28, 2012
Mumbai
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 6T
It's been a few months I'm using the GS3. Everything was working fine.
Suddenly, yesterday, this fantastic quad-core beast refused to charge! I made so many attempts but all in vain :crying: :

• Tried a different charger.
  • Tried a different USB Cable.
  • Tried charging it via PC/Laptop.
  • Tried removing the battery, cooling everything down and then charging again.
  • Blew inside the USB port.
  • Rebooted several times.
  • Done a factory reset (I know it wasn't a thing to be done.. but... ).

What is the problem?! I've never dropped it or something like that! It's too important for me to have a phone!
Won't send it to Samsung ever. I think people at XDA have more brains.
The only connection to the internet at my home is my S3's GPRS. Wait a minute... if S3 isn't charging how am I posting and starting this thread?
It charges. ONLY 15% in 3 hours when it's Switched OFF and it's charged using Laptop/PC ONLY.
If I try to charge it using wall charger, it never charges! It never charged even before. Whenever my S3 was completely out of battery, I HAD TO use the PC ONLY to charge. It won't ever charge using a wall charger. I mean after it's charged a little bit after using the PC, I could always use the wall charger but FIRST, ONLY PC.
Now, When it charges about 15%, then, today, it DOESN'T CHARGE AT ALL. It means if you Switch it ON, boom! You won't ever be able to charge, no matter if you're using it, no matter if it's connected to a wall/PC as the charger, it always keeps on only "draining". To charge I HAVE TO switch it OFF.

PLEASE HELP! I CAN'T LIVE LIKE THIS!

Note: Phone isn't rooted.

SOLUTION WITH ROOT : Flash Boeffla Kernel. DONE! The problem is Galaxy S3's Stock Kernel! The phone charges at a very good speed!

SOLUTION WITHOUT ROOT : Buy the Capdase USB cable (HCBB00-SM01) from or Amazon or eBay.

Last edited:
Reactions: dev neo and Gercke

b-eock

Dec 30, 2010
Dallas, Texas
We don't have locked boot loaders. So if you do, you're in the wrong forum. Only the Verizon S3 has locked boot loaders.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
There are another hundred identical threads, likely causes are faulty charger, lead or charging circuit inside phone. If you are on custom rom/kernel then flash back to stock.

Moster2

Apr 20, 2012
Did you try the app charging current? It shows how many mA are coming through

Paresh Kalinani

Apr 28, 2012
Mumbai
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 6T
As mentioned, first... use galaxy charging current app and report what MAX is. Returning to stock if less than 999 on mains to rule out software.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Here are the Maximum Values in the Galaxy Charging Current app-
Samsung Charger+HTC Wire=100
Sony Charger+HTC Wire=100
Samsung Charger+Samsung Wire=200
Sony Charger+Samsung Wire=200
Samsung Charger+Sony Wire=900
Sony Charger+Sony Wire=1000

The problem is, the Sony wire I've used isn't mine. So I can't keep that with me. I have the Samsung Charger, HTC & Samsung Wires.
Do you recommend to buy a new wire? It'd be great if you'd suggest me which one :)

Paresh Kalinani

Apr 28, 2012
Mumbai
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 6T
I think the problem is here. Somebody knows how to fix it? One of the pins isn't there!

Attachments

• 1378663536805.jpg
    1378663536805.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 9,220

Paresh Kalinani

Apr 28, 2012
Mumbai
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 6T
Finally I solved it!
The problem with all the Galaxy S3's is the USB WIRE. Samsung's data cables are 30AWG wires (the lower the number, the better speed). Our phones need at least 26AWG wires to charge who good speeds. Now, the more thin is the wire, the more is it's resistance. If you notice the difference between Samsung and Sony Ericsson wires, the Sony ones are really fat in front of Samsung. I used the Galaxy Charging Current Lite app to test various USB Wires and Sony Ericsson's wire was the best giving the Max value of 1000 (Samsung gave 500). But Sony doesn't sell wires, we need to buy a Car Charger/Adapter with it and pay a big amount... Again a problem!
Solution: I bought a wire from www.stuffcool.com (Capdase USB cable (HCBB00-SM01) and I was shocked to see my mobile always around 80-90% charged! I recommend everyone to buy USB Wires for their phones from www.stuffcool.com and charge their mobile faster!!! They're thick wires, they don't break and they don't eat up the current! Samsung USB Wire users will definitely understand the difference in those wires ;)
I bought it from stuffcool.com , however, it's available on eBay and Amazon too.

Last edited:
Reactions: rohitv and Soundwve

Soundwve

Aug 27, 2012
Anchorage
Finally I solved it!
The problem with all the Galaxy S3's is the USB WIRE. Samsung's data cables are 30AWG wires (the lower the number, the better speed).

Unfortunatly, that is apparently not my problem, though the symptoms are the same. My girlfriend's SGS 3 will not charge, despite showing a charge indicator on the battery symbol.

Chargers are good, as my sgs 3 shows 460 max when on my laptop, and 900 on wall charger using the Galaxy Charging Current Lite app. (rooted, Sentinel ROM) My girlfriend's SGS 3 is showing 0 using same app, USB cord and wall charger. Laptop and wall charger show the same: 0. Ideas?

She's stock ICS, unrooted. Is this a software or hardware issue?

braschlosan

Sep 11, 2009
OnePlus 8T
Unfortunatly, that is apparently not my problem, though the symptoms are the same. My girlfriend's SGS 3 will not charge, despite showing a charge indicator on the battery symbol.

Chargers are good, as my sgs 3 shows 460 max when on my laptop, and 900 on wall charger using the Galaxy Charging Current Lite app. (rooted, Sentinel ROM) My girlfriend's SGS 3 is showing 0 using same app, USB cord and wall charger. Laptop and wall charger show the same: 0. Ideas?

She's stock ICS, unrooted. Is this a software or hardware issue?

I am having the same issue. It shows a charging icon but the battery continues to drain. I downloaded the Galaxy Charging Current Lite application and it doesn't show anything.

Does anyone know if this is a component that can be fixed?

Chefedogg

May 22, 2012
Daytona Beach
I bricked my phone, sent it in... got it back and now it doesn't charge. I have external batteries, so I'm not totally screwed but, I used to be to able to download torrents all night and the phone would charge, not the case anymore. Not blaming it on the bricking or the dudes that fixed it for me, it's all in the cables. I have 3 cables, all worked great before, now none of them work, except the samsung cable, but still won't charge while tethering, weakness, it's the cables... there's not an app out there that will help you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's been a few months I'm using the GS3. Everything was working fine.
    Suddenly, yesterday, this fantastic quad-core beast refused to charge! I made so many attempts but all in vain :crying: :

• Tried a different charger.
    • Tried a different USB Cable.
    • Tried charging it via PC/Laptop.
    • Tried removing the battery, cooling everything down and then charging again.
    • Blew inside the USB port.
    • Rebooted several times.
    • Done a factory reset (I know it wasn't a thing to be done.. but... ).

What is the problem?! I've never dropped it or something like that! It's too important for me to have a phone!
    Won't send it to Samsung ever. I think people at XDA have more brains.
    The only connection to the internet at my home is my S3's GPRS. Wait a minute... if S3 isn't charging how am I posting and starting this thread?
    It charges. ONLY 15% in 3 hours when it's Switched OFF and it's charged using Laptop/PC ONLY.
    If I try to charge it using wall charger, it never charges! It never charged even before. Whenever my S3 was completely out of battery, I HAD TO use the PC ONLY to charge. It won't ever charge using a wall charger. I mean after it's charged a little bit after using the PC, I could always use the wall charger but FIRST, ONLY PC.
    Now, When it charges about 15%, then, today, it DOESN'T CHARGE AT ALL. It means if you Switch it ON, boom! You won't ever be able to charge, no matter if you're using it, no matter if it's connected to a wall/PC as the charger, it always keeps on only "draining". To charge I HAVE TO switch it OFF.

PLEASE HELP! I CAN'T LIVE LIKE THIS!

Note: Phone isn't rooted.

SOLUTION WITH ROOT : Flash Boeffla Kernel. DONE! The problem is Galaxy S3's Stock Kernel! The phone charges at a very good speed!

SOLUTION WITHOUT ROOT : Buy the Capdase USB cable (HCBB00-SM01) from or Amazon or eBay.
    As mentioned, first... use galaxy charging current app and report what MAX is. Returning to stock if less than 999 on mains to rule out software.

Yes. The samsung cable is well documented as being poor on this forum. I bought 2 generic cables from the market and they're great

Any particular thing I should see before buying a USB Cable? Like the thickness or something like that?

just use the same above app and check it instantly where you buy it :)

:good:
    common issue on s3, replaced the USB Dock Charging Port Connector Pins.mostly it is a cold soldered.