[Q] Urgent EFS help please

Search This thread

Blackwatch

Jul 20, 2011
Denby Dale
I am really hoping someone can help me here as I am stumped.

A few weeks ago our new puppy decided to " taste " my S3, cracking the screen in the process. I eventually bit the bullet and bought a screen kit to fix it, However in the process the puppy jumped up and i ended up destroying my actual LCD. So today I bought a phone that had been barred with the idea of putting my mainboard into it to get my phone working.

I know my phone was ok in the old housing ( albeit with no screen as i could call it and had the blue flashing light when getting an SMS ) however as soon as I put it with the new screen I had no signal and when i check the networks it says insert sim card to access network services.. Also when i ran sim unlock it says my IMEI is null :confused:

I also have this on my phone every time I start it...

shot_2014-06-20_01-15-26_zpsa9e59b46.png

I have an EFS back up but I have no idea on how to restore it could some one please help.

tallman43

Aug 29, 2011
The Land of Android

A few weeks ago our new puppy decided to " taste " my S3, cracking the screen in the process. I eventually bit the bullet and bought a screen kit to fix it, However in the process the puppy jumped up and i ended up destroying my actual LCD. So today I bought a phone that had been barred with the idea of putting my mainboard into it to get my phone working.

I know my phone was ok in the old housing ( albeit with no screen as i could call it and had the blue flashing light when getting an SMS ) however as soon as I put it with the new screen I had no signal and when i check the networks it says insert sim card to access network services.. Also when i ran sim unlock it says my IMEI is null :confused:

I have an EFS back up but I have no idea on how to restore it could some one please help.

One of the most asked questions on Xda your efs is corrupt and you are also in factory mode READ THIS >> http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/general/ref-imei-efs-stuff-i9300-including-t2393289 << Also follow this guide >> http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/help/solved-siii-network-problem-update-sn-t1918601/page199 << READ POST 1984..

Reactions: RazorMC

Blackwatch

Jul 20, 2011
Denby Dale
I have checked with vodafone and I have been told that the phone is not blocked. however on the original board i still have the no network issue or IMEI number :S

tallman43

Aug 29, 2011
The Land of Android
I have checked with vodafone and I have been told that the phone is not blocked. however on the original board i still have the no network issue or IMEI number :S

As per previous post flash the patched kernel and modem in link 2 this should restore signal..If you still in factory mode follow instructions in link 1 to get out of factory mode.. Did you try?

Blackwatch

Jul 20, 2011
Denby Dale
For now I have put the original motherboard back in. Which must also have a corrupt IMEI as well...hence why it was sold so cheap

Blackwatch

Jul 20, 2011
Denby Dale
As per previous post flash the patched kernel and modem in link 2 this should restore signal..If you still in factory mode follow instructions in link 1 to get out of factory mode.. Did you try?

I have tried many things today....at one stage I managed to get a signal etc but I had the 00049 issue and now I am back to nothing again.
I have tried to flash just the kernel and modem but so far no joy.

I have extracted my efs.tar and attached what it shows.

Attachments

• efs.PNG
    efs.PNG
    154.5 KB · Views: 41

tallman43

Aug 29, 2011
The Land of Android
Try flashing the rom + kernel and modem in the link see if that works. But without a efs backup then your options are limited.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Blackwatch

Jul 20, 2011
Denby Dale
Ihave just installed the ROM, Kernel and modem and I now have signal etc but my IMEI number is showing as 0049***** how do i fix that part?

Blackwatch

Jul 20, 2011
Denby Dale
**UPDATE****UPDATE****UPDATE****UPDATE****UPDATE**

I fixed the IMEI issue ( yay for me :D:laugh::D ) I'm not sure if i did this right but here goes for anyone else in the future.

1. I copied what was the corrupt EFS folder to my SD card using ES Explorer root ( into a separate folder called EFS OLD to avoid confusion )
2. I then extracted the EFS.tar file i had on my pc using winrar, and then copied that to my SD Card.
3. I then copied the EFS folder from my SD card to the root directory making sure to also copy the permissions.
4.I booted into recovery and wiped the daivk cache ( I think this was just a lucky guess as I was trying to fix permissions )
5. Rebooted my phone and saw the signal meter had gone from a greyed out triangle to a circle with line in.....thinking I had made things worse I went straight to about device > status and saw i had a new IMEI. I then checked this against my IMEI and bingo I was in business again, so I went to the other end of the lounge to check I could get a signal and yes within a few seconds I was getting SMS messages RESULT.

I am now going to use Ktool to make a back up of my EFS and store it in a few good safe places. After that I have to figure out why the home button wont work on this board ( although it used to in the last casing ) but does if I put the old board back in....please god be something simple.

A huge, no make that a MASSIVE thanks to everyone that has chipped in with links and helping me

Reactions: tallman43

RazorMC

Feb 12, 2011
SiN CiTY
looks like i spoke to early...woke up this morning went to use the phone and it has lost the baseband AND the IMEI number again.

Arghhhhh

Have you tried restoring /efs via PhilZ Recovery as suggested earlier?
@tallman43 also pointed out how you can flash via Odin.

Restoring efs may not be easy, but it's not hard. There are stickies explaining how to restore.

Blackwatch

Jul 20, 2011
Denby Dale
ye yesterday I lost the entire /EFS partion took me until 4am this morning to eventually fix it....I am in the process of trying to fix it now. At the moment I am trying to get the other motherboard fixed so i can sell it.

velahavle

Sep 19, 2012
ye yesterday I lost the entire /EFS partion took me until 4am this morning to eventually fix it....I am in the process of trying to fix it now. At the moment I am trying to get the other motherboard fixed so i can sell it.

I had the same problem with losing IMEI, I was dumb enough to delete it without backup. Flashed stock ROM with triangle away and took it for service. They replaced my motherboard thinking it was a chip malfunction so I'm guessing it could be a common problem for S3 motherboards.

So if u keep loosing EFS out of the sudden they maybe your motherboard is busted, experiment with the 2 boards you have to make sure you don't get rid of the working one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

One of the most asked questions on Xda your efs is corrupt and you are also in factory mode READ THIS >> http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/general/ref-imei-efs-stuff-i9300-including-t2393289 << Also follow this guide >> http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/help/solved-siii-network-problem-update-sn-t1918601/page199 << READ POST 1984..
    **UPDATE****UPDATE****UPDATE****UPDATE****UPDATE**

I fixed the IMEI issue ( yay for me :D:laugh::D ) I'm not sure if i did this right but here goes for anyone else in the future.

1. I copied what was the corrupt EFS folder to my SD card using ES Explorer root ( into a separate folder called EFS OLD to avoid confusion )
    2. I then extracted the EFS.tar file i had on my pc using winrar, and then copied that to my SD Card.
    3. I then copied the EFS folder from my SD card to the root directory making sure to also copy the permissions.
    4.I booted into recovery and wiped the daivk cache ( I think this was just a lucky guess as I was trying to fix permissions )
    5. Rebooted my phone and saw the signal meter had gone from a greyed out triangle to a circle with line in.....thinking I had made things worse I went straight to about device > status and saw i had a new IMEI. I then checked this against my IMEI and bingo I was in business again, so I went to the other end of the lounge to check I could get a signal and yes within a few seconds I was getting SMS messages RESULT.

I am now going to use Ktool to make a back up of my EFS and store it in a few good safe places. After that I have to figure out why the home button wont work on this board ( although it used to in the last casing ) but does if I put the old board back in....please god be something simple.

A huge, no make that a MASSIVE thanks to everyone that has chipped in with links and helping me
    Great news @Blackwatch I am sure this thread will be helpful to someone :):)
    looks like i spoke to early...woke up this morning went to use the phone and it has lost the baseband AND the IMEI number again.

Arghhhhh