[Q] Windows 7 "SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device" failed installation

Search This thread

surendra_aggarwal

Oct 13, 2012
Sydney
MTP Driver failure

I have been having this issue since I bought this phone 2 weeks ago when I down loaded and installed Kies v2.3. This is what I did and finally met with success in resolving Samsung MTP USB driver failure.

Deleted driver from Control Panel/system/device driver, removed Kies,left Samsung S3 phone connected and rebooted PC. Windows installed the driver and phone showed up in Explorer as a device - with correct name. I could access the phone and all the files on the phone. I then reinstalled Kies (latest 2.5) and isaw nstallation process installing USB drivers on top of Windows drivers. Installation again reported failure in installation of MTP driver.

Followed thru the steps again- uninstalled Kies, uninstalled driver, left phone conneted and rebooted PC. Once again Windows installed the driver and it recognised the device.

This tiem I made a change. I downloaded Samsung Kies v1.0 for Windows 7 64 bit (my PC is 64 bit). Installed it on PC. Wow - Kies now is able to connect to my Samsung S3 Phone. "Now this is crucial what happened next."

Kies then went to upgrade Kies to v2.5 - NO DRIVER UPDATE. I thinkbecause his is a software not device drivers upgrade. All finally good. It synced my phone with Outlook.

So the analysis is : The device driver in later versions of Kies was added and it is "wrong & incompatibel with Windows 7". Simply put the whole thing "simply sucks". Samsung should have done this analysis by themselves and fixed it. Looking at other posts on other forums, Samsung is aware of this issue for a few months now. But is failing to do fix it - just remove its own drivers and use Windows drivers.

The Kies 1.0 does not installs any driver (didn't see any message) and uses Windows driver. Hence it works. Kies later versions have usb driver whichoverwrite Windows driver and this is the ROOT CAUSE of PROBLEMS.

Hope this help all the users everywhere!!!!

ALL Samsung Usrs - please uninstall Kies later versions, and after lettin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi :)

For some reason I am now getting a Driver Installation Failure error for my S3 when I plug it in to USB on Windows 7. The driver is SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device, which fails after a long (3 minute or so) install attempt.

This means I can't access the Phone via USB for file tranfers etc, either Windows Explorer or Keis. Though I can use ODIN to Flash if I put the Phone in Debug Mode.

I have tried all sorts. Un-installing the Samsung Drivers, rebooting and reinstalling, and getting Kies to try a driver repair.

It wasn't like this when I started with the phone. Something changed - after I rooted it. I am currently on the Omega ROM 6.0 with standard kernel. For a while I was on 5.1 with Syloa 1.1 and then 1.26. I realized it was wrong when I couldn't copy Omega 6.0 ROM ZIP over to Flash.

I have searched and searched. This seems to have happened to other phones as well but be intermittent. A few other phone on XDA have reported this in the last couple of weeks (so maybe a Microsoft change to Windows 7?)

As a weird related issue sometimes when I plug the Phone into WIndows now I get two removable drives showing, which are "Samsung USB Gadgets" using a 2006 Microsoft Driver... They show as removable drives with no drive in them. Again all my tricks of disabling uninstalling, re-installing etc these seem to make no difference.

Anyway - any ideas / fixes help appreciated!!!

Cheers

k288

Nov 6, 2012
I have been having this issue since I bought this phone 2 weeks ago when I down loaded and installed Kies v2.3. This is what I did and finally met with success in resolving Samsung MTP USB driver failure.

Deleted driver from Control Panel/system/device driver, removed Kies,left Samsung S3 phone connected and rebooted PC. Windows installed the driver and phone showed up in Explorer as a device - with correct name. I could access the phone and all the files on the phone. I then reinstalled Kies (latest 2.5) and isaw nstallation process installing USB drivers on top of Windows drivers. Installation again reported failure in installation of MTP driver.

Followed thru the steps again- uninstalled Kies, uninstalled driver, left phone conneted and rebooted PC. Once again Windows installed the driver and it recognised the device.

This tiem I made a change. I downloaded Samsung Kies v1.0 for Windows 7 64 bit (my PC is 64 bit). Installed it on PC. Wow - Kies now is able to connect to my Samsung S3 Phone. "Now this is crucial what happened next."

Kies then went to upgrade Kies to v2.5 - NO DRIVER UPDATE. I thinkbecause his is a software not device drivers upgrade. All finally good. It synced my phone with Outlook.

So the analysis is : The device driver in later versions of Kies was added and it is "wrong & incompatibel with Windows 7". Simply put the whole thing "simply sucks". Samsung should have done this analysis by themselves and fixed it. Looking at other posts on other forums, Samsung is aware of this issue for a few months now. But is failing to do fix it - just remove its own drivers and use Windows drivers.

The Kies 1.0 does not installs any driver (didn't see any message) and uses Windows driver. Hence it works. Kies later versions have usb driver whichoverwrite Windows driver and this is the ROOT CAUSE of PROBLEMS.

Hope this help all the users everywhere!!!!

ALL Samsung Usrs - please uninstall Kies later versions, and after lettin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there, I am having the USB problem for a couple weeks and it was working fine before all along. I am using Windows 7, how do I exactly remove the Samsung driver in the Control Panel? I do not see any Samsung item listed there. I have tried many uninstall and install and on different pcs. so really hoping your fix can fix mine as well.
By the way, I had removed Kies many times and yet Windows did not detect the S3 or install any driver, so the drives are not showing up in Explorer...

thanks

Thanks

Last edited:

fifamaniac

Mar 24, 2010
Geneva
FIX

1. Download and install the s3 Toolkit here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1703488
2. Don't run it but browse to \Samsung Galaxy S3 ToolKit\drivers
3. Run USBDeview and uninstall everything with Samsung or i9300 in the description (right-mouse)
4. uninstall Kies and USB drivers.
5. Disconnect phone
6. Install \Samsung Galaxy S3 ToolKit\drivers\Samsung_USB_Driver.exe
7. Connect phone.

Tadah!

Doesnt work for mee...
Weird because at home on my laptop it works...
Thanx anyway

play-doh

Nov 20, 2012
Try opening Regedit and deleting UpperFilters entries from the following Keys if they exist.

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}

disconnect your Phone if it is connected and reconnect it. Drivers should install correctly.

bbayless

Nov 7, 2011
Denton,TX
Please Help

Hey I have tried to resolve this issue with the solution but it still does not work. I dont shave the upperfilters in my regedit either.
thanks

QUOTE=play-doh;34421478]Try opening Regedit and deleting UpperFilters entries from the following Keys if they exist.

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}

disconnect your Phone if it is connected and reconnect it. Drivers should install correctly.[/QUOTE]

jezzabart

Jan 20, 2013
Thank you very much for this suggestion. I spent days trying to connect and was starting to think that I would have to reinstall Windows. Finally, I changed from the Samsung provided USB cable to the one that came with my Kindle Keyboard and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Israelleite

Solved! For real!

For some reason, any of those options helped me to make it work:

- Reinstall Windows Media Player
- Remove registry key
- Clean up old usb drivers
- re-install 100 times drivers from Verizon, Samsung. Even old versions.
- Install from Windows Update. I tried to do that 1000 times. Gosh!
- enable UMT access (mass storage) on the phone.

The only thing that worked was, for some reason , getting the drivers from a random computer that was the only computer that worked.

Windows 7 x64

Attached the files. Go to the devices manager and update the drivers.

Israel Leite

Attachments

• Galaxy_S3_MTP_driver_win7x64.rar
    569.3 KB · Views: 5,851

rojogan

Jul 31, 2011
So here is the cure. First connect your phone to your pc. Now right click my computer and select manage. Go to device manager and expand the universal serial bus controllers tab. Now you should see something like unknown device with a yellow exclamation mark. Right click it and select uninstall. Now reconnect your phone and try it.

Now again check in device manager after installation. It should look like the one in the attachment.

I've been having the same problem with my Galaxy Note. Tried this and it worked, at least so far. Thanks for the tip.

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
To fix the problem, follow the next steps:*1) Go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19153
2) Press the*Continue*button (Near the validation required button)*
3) Press the*Download*button (Near the genuine Microsoft software)*
4) In case that the download hasn't started automatically within 30 seconds, press the*Start Download*button.*
5) Save the file.*
6) Execute the file (Double click on the mouse's left button).*
7) Next -> Repair -> Repair -> Finish -> Choose "Yes" so the system restarts itself.*
That's it, now the MTP devices should work correctly.*

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Originally Posted by rohan999
So here is the cure. First connect your phone to your pc. Now right click my computer and select manage. Go to device manager and expand the universal serial bus controllers tab. Now you should see something like unknown device with a yellow exclamation mark. Right click it and select uninstall. Now reconnect your phone and try it.

Now again check in device manager after installation. It should look like the one in the attachment.

I did most of everything that you told but you can see samsung blah blah in there uninstall that in device manager by right clicking it you will see this option and then just execute the file and it will make you restart your computer and bam problem fixed....this method works for the Samsung galaxy note 2 as well for anyone who has one of those phones.

so follow through everything except step six will be you uninstalling in drivers that are on the computer for your Samsung device with device manager, then install that thing he told you just follow it through then type in windows update in your windows search and looking for updates there should be one that comes up with Samsung blah blah MTP install that then restart the computer and your good to go.

Last edited:

kayamemet

Aug 11, 2011
Try opening Regedit and deleting UpperFilters entries from the following Keys if they exist.

disconnect your Phone if it is connected and reconnect it. Drivers should install correctly.

I have tried lots of things and nothing worked until now. Thanks a lot, much appreciated!! :good:

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
Best thing I tried is I went up to my computer and smashed it to bits then I bought a new custom built one and it works fine

Sent from my SGH-T889V using xda app-developers app

GR0S

Jun 10, 2012
Kies is broken (at least it was)
Try uninstalling samusng drivers and remove device via usbdeview, then plug phone. Windows should use generic ones now

Homeuser66

Sep 23, 2011
Connceticut

For some reason I am now getting a Driver Installation Failure error for my S3 when I plug it in to USB on Windows 7. The driver is SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device, which fails after a long (3 minute or so) install attempt.

This means I can't access the Phone via USB for file tranfers etc, either Windows Explorer or Keis. Though I can use ODIN to Flash if I put the Phone in Debug Mode.

I have tried all sorts. Un-installing the Samsung Drivers, rebooting and reinstalling, and getting Kies to try a driver repair.

It wasn't like this when I started with the phone. Something changed - after I rooted it. I am currently on the Omega ROM 6.0 with standard kernel. For a while I was on 5.1 with Syloa 1.1 and then 1.26. I realized it was wrong when I couldn't copy Omega 6.0 ROM ZIP over to Flash.

I have searched and searched. This seems to have happened to other phones as well but be intermittent. A few other phone on XDA have reported this in the last couple of weeks (so maybe a Microsoft change to Windows 7?)

As a weird related issue sometimes when I plug the Phone into WIndows now I get two removable drives showing, which are "Samsung USB Gadgets" using a 2006 Microsoft Driver... They show as removable drives with no drive in them. Again all my tricks of disabling uninstalling, re-installing etc these seem to make no difference.

Cheers

I'm not sure if you got this issue resolved or not yet...but I installed SAMSUNG KIES and it resolve the issue completely for me...

Hope this helps!

MaxQuiro

Nov 14, 2013
Deam u are good!!!!

- Remove registry key

The only thing that worked was, for some reason , getting the drivers from a random computer that was the only computer that worked.

Windows 7 x64

Israel Leite

DEAM MAN!!!, you finally found the fuc...nnn answer, I'm really Happy, u are the best. Thanke you MAN! My respects for U.... MASTER !!!

Reactions: marco alexandre

wickedmx

Dec 29, 2010
Sydney

I ran into this issue and tried all of the suggestion I could find(including this one), none of which worked. Eventually I got it working again for my Galaxy S3 by doing the following:
1) Plugged phone in and let MTP install end with failed installation notification
2) opened Windows Update and forced a check for updates
3) this returned an update for Samsung MTP Devices
4) installed Windows update
5) unplugged phone and then plugged back in
6 Voila, drivers installed with no issues

hapa8o8

Aug 14, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii

:good::good::good::good::good::good:
WOW!!! I was deleting the filters from the wrong registries (don't worry, they didn't cause any errors)

THANK YOU for posting the correct classes to delete the upfilters from. I have tried practically every way to get my phone back with my computer, and now it is all good :fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:
THANK YOU again

m80116

Feb 26, 2014
I can tell you what it was in my case. I had exactly the same symptoms, with MTP Device could not start (error code 10) on my Windows Vista 64bit OS. Was it Vista's fault, was it Galaxy's (I have a SGS II Plus) ? Nope... it was my fault for disabling the automatic startup of the MTP Application, seemingly useless startup item that could have been recalled by the system on first demand: hold off, that service is there to stay in the autorun at startup.

So if you like me have installed a Startup Manger and with Super User privileges started disabling system services, double check the the "MTP Application" service is left the way it's intended to be: autorun at startup.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarvoke

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solved! For real!

- Remove registry key

Windows 7 x64

Israel Leite

Cheers
    I can tell you what it was in my case. I had exactly the same symptoms, with MTP Device could not start (error code 10) on my Windows Vista 64bit OS. Was it Vista's fault, was it Galaxy's (I have a SGS II Plus) ? Nope... it was my fault for disabling the automatic startup of the MTP Application, seemingly useless startup item that could have been recalled by the system on first demand: hold off, that service is there to stay in the autorun at startup.

So if you like me have installed a Startup Manger and with Super User privileges started disabling system services, double check the the "MTP Application" service is left the way it's intended to be: autorun at startup.