FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[DISCONTINUED][i9300][30/07/2013]¤¤ UBUNTU TOUCH 13.10 BUILDS ¤¤[WIP]

2,057 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,285
 
Post Reply Email Thread
I do not own the i9300 anymore, older builds are still available but I won't be able to publish any new one

THIS IS STILL AT AN EXPERIMENTAL STAGE

Hey guys, I started porting Ubuntu Touch to the international S3 (i9300).
This is just a first build, so there are quite a few bugs (listed below).

Code:
DISCLAIMER: Flash this at your own risk.
I won't be held responsible for any damage done to anything whatsoever, you guys should know the drill by now

Source-Code

You can find the GPL-compliant code on my github for both the device-tree and the kernel :

Build instructions

Build instructions, components licensing, and more in-depth infos on this port in the official wiki page for i9300: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices/i9300


Known Issues
  • Fonts are messed-up - Fixed
  • No Wifi - Fixed
  • No GSM/Phone calls

    Everything else seems to be working just fine (both cameras, brightness etc...) but please report if you find anything other than what is mentioned in the "State of Things on Official Builds" section of this post


Instructions
  1. In recovery, wipe data, dalvik, cache (and optionally system, just to be sure)
  2. Flash saucy-preinstalled-armel+i9300.zip first
  3. Then flash saucy-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip
  4. Reboot


Downloads

Changelogs

Build n°4:
  • Updated to Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander
  • Auto Rotation on supported apps
  • System settings
  • All installed apps show-up in the launcher
  • More

Build n°3:
  • Fixed Wi-Fi (commit)
  • Removed all useless dependencies & overlays (commit1 / commit2 / commit3)
  • Added cool Ubuntu ASCII art as the first logcat message on boot (replaces CM's one) (commit)
  • Removed some useless build.prop flags related to dalvik (commit)

Build n°2:
  • Fixed fonts by downgrading mali drivers to r3p0 (commit)
  • Downgraded ump drivers to r3p0 (commit)
  • Removed some unused packages & dependencies (commit1 + commit2 )
  • Documented changes on github (commit)
Build n°1:
  • Initial build


State of Things on Official builds

This table shows the current state of working/partly-working/non-working features on official builds for Nexus devices.
Ultimately, the goal for the S3 is to have the same set of working features as on Galaxy Nexus (maguro) :



Reviews

Credits

Screenshots


The Following 166 Users Say Thank You to Androguide.fr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Androguide.fr Ad-Free
 
 
8th June 2013, 01:08 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 22
 
More
Thumbs up
good news , thank you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rhadee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rhadee Ad-Free
8th June 2013, 02:33 PM |#3  
naathaanb96's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 552
 
More
AWESOME! will take a nandroid and try asap!

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

maybe @temasek can help with wifi?

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

i have pmed the guy that fixed fonts in galaxy 1 and 2 for font fix for us
The Following User Says Thank You to naathaanb96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift naathaanb96 Ad-Free
8th June 2013, 02:50 PM |#4  
Androguide.fr's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Lyon, France
Thanks Meter: 7,285
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by naathaanb96

AWESOME! will take a nandroid and try asap!

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

maybe @temasek can help with wifi?

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

i have pmed the guy that fixed fonts in galaxy 1 and 2 for font fix for us

Ok, my bad, wifi might actually be working. From the Ubuntu Touch wiki it says that it currently only supports open networks (no wep or wpa keys) through the GUI, but you can import wifi settings from your Ubuntu desktop, which will cause it to install some packages including the Wireless Interface (iw), so it might be why I can't see the open networks neither as there is no wireless interface installed.
I'll import my desktop wifi settings and report back.

About the fonts, I think I know where the problem is, might be a dependency file I had to remove from the makefiles to fix a build error.
I'll probably do another build later today to try and work-around this, it's pretty fast to compile as it's only C/C++ and the output is like 40mb.

Quote:

NETWORKING

The simplest solution given that you have a UI available is to use the networking indicator on the device. The network indicator currently supports basic Wi-Fi connections only ( eg. No security, WEP, WPA Personal ).

An alternate means of configuring networking is via the phablet-network-setup tool which is part of the phablet-tools package. This script can be used to copy an active Network Manager system settings file from an Ubuntu Desktop ( >= 12.04 LTS ) to the device. It also has some extra options which cause the tool to install network-related packages such as iw and openssh-server.


Other than that, brightness control and auto-brightness are working properly, and the fonts in the apps seem to be ok, looks like the fonts are messed-up only in the core UI/Launcher, appart from a few glitches here and there in some other apps.
The Dialer's call button doesn't seem to be responding, although I'm not sure if the dialer is functionnal already in the nexus builds.
8th June 2013, 02:52 PM |#5  
naathaanb96's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 552
 
More
I had a quick play around and it looks very promising. I couldn't get a call to make though and I couldn't find settings

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
8th June 2013, 03:03 PM |#6  
Androguide.fr's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Lyon, France
Thanks Meter: 7,285
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by naathaanb96

I had a quick play around and it looks very promising. I couldn't get a call to make though and I couldn't find settings

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Well, it looks like the only settings are those you get in the statusbar, you can move left & right while swiping it down, and it gives you the settings for sound, screen, wifi, etc...
8th June 2013, 04:10 PM |#7  
zulmajdi's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 34
 
More
Thank you for this. I will test it when i get home from work. Can't wait. Rep+1 for you

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Btw can i make a call?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to zulmajdi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zulmajdi Ad-Free
8th June 2013, 04:21 PM |#8  
Androguide.fr's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Lyon, France
Thanks Meter: 7,285
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulmajdi

Thank you for this. I will test it when i get home from work. Can't wait. Rep+1 for you

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Btw can i make a call?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Nope, doesn't seem to initiate the dialing, but I don't really know if it's a bug or if that feature is still missing from the mainstream builds.
Working on the new build and trying to fix fonts as we speak.
8th June 2013, 04:29 PM |#9  
zulmajdi's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 34
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androguide.fr

Nope, doesn't seem to initiate the dialing, but I don't really know if it's a bug or if that feature is still missing from the mainstream builds.
Working on the new build and trying to fix fonts as we speak.

So all that related to sim won't work? Damn but still gonna test your build. Never had any chance to test the ubuntu touch. Thanks again

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
8th June 2013, 04:33 PM |#10  
Androguide.fr's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Lyon, France
Thanks Meter: 7,285
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulmajdi

So all that related to sim won't work? Damn but still gonna test your build. Never had any chance to test the ubuntu touch. Thanks again

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Yeah, either way Ubuntu Touch is still a developer preview for the moment, many things are still not working/not ready, although the first public launch on a widely distributed device is expected by the end of the year.
I actually build this because I want to start writing apps for Ubuntu Touch and needed a device to test on.

The team of engineers behind Ubuntu Touch is publicly answering questions on xda if you want to know more about the OS and its current state : http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...-ubuntu-touch/
The Following User Says Thank You to Androguide.fr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Androguide.fr Ad-Free
8th June 2013, 04:48 PM |#11  
zulmajdi's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 34
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androguide.fr

Yeah, either way Ubuntu Touch is still a developer preview for the moment, many things are still not working/not ready, although the first public launch on a widely distributed device is expected by the end of the year.
I actually build this because I want to start writing apps for Ubuntu Touch and needed a device to test on.

The team of engineers behind Ubuntu Touch is publicly answering questions on xda if you want to know more about the OS and its current state : http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...-ubuntu-touch/

Thank you for the information. Im home. Downloading now

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
builds, i9300, raring, ubuntu, ubuntu touch

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes