FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[GT-I930x/T/N][SHV-E210*][SHW-M440S] CF-Auto-Root

11,218 posts
Thanks Meter: 86,202

By Chainfire, Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 26th October 2012, 07:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th November 2012, 11:27 AM |#141  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Question
Hi,

I used the older CF-Root with JB on S3. Since then I can no longer use OTA as it says this device has been modified and no updates are available.

My question is: if I flash an original older ROM, update it via OTA to JB and use CF-auto-root, will the device accept newer OTAs again and no longer claim it has been modified?

5th November 2012, 11:45 AM |#142  
OP Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?

Donate to Me
More
You can have root or OTA, choose one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2012, 12:01 PM |#143  
Flag Pisa, Italy
Thanks Meter: 168

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

So resetting the flash counter doesn't give the capability to have OTA on rooted device, right?

And if I un-root for checking some OTA updates and then root again...it's this possible? I mean...I root with your method...then once a while I un-root just to check OTA...will that work and connect giving me OTA results?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app
5th November 2012, 12:05 PM |#144  

More
Thanks for the response, Chainfire.

Do you know if an S3 which uses official JB and CF-auto-root can still receive updates via Kies instead? Just wondering if there is any way to still receive official updates.
5th November 2012, 12:49 PM |#145  
Thanks Meter: 606

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landorin

Thanks for the response, Chainfire.

Do you know if an S3 which uses official JB and CF-auto-root can still receive updates via Kies instead? Just wondering if there is any way to still receive official updates.

Why? The Rom will be available on sammobile so just flash with Odin .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
5th November 2012, 01:05 PM |#146  
Flag Buenos Aires
Thanks Meter: 196

More
Hi @Chainfire, do you have any idea what a little red exclamation mark on the top left corner of the screen means when the phone goes into the big read android logo to apply root when using this cf-auto-root on an international galaxy s3?
Also if I use the "old" cf-root 6.4 to root my s3, when I turn the phone off, and then press volume up+home+power to enter cwm recovery, between the "Samsung galaxy GT-I9300" screen and until the cwm is opened there is also a red exclamation mark on the top left corner of the screen that I have never seen before... If I flash back to any stock firmware, without root or custom recovery, when I enter stock recovery that red exclamation mark is gone, so everything is fine, but I don't know where or why did it came from, or maybe it is normal and I have never seen it before... But it always been there... I am really confused with this...
Hope, you help me
Thanks a lot in advance!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk 2
5th November 2012, 01:28 PM |#147  
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Root or OTA ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

check back to post 129 If the status is normal u can have OTA

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Quote:

Hi,

I used the older CF-Root with JB on S3. Since then I can no longer use OTA as it says this device has been modified and no updates are available.

My question is: if I flash an original older ROM, update it via OTA to JB and use CF-auto-root, will the device accept newer OTAs again and no longer claim it has been modified?

check back to post 129 If the status is normal u can have OTA No more messege "this device has been modified and no updates are available"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karwankar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift karwankar Ad-Free
5th November 2012, 01:55 PM |#148  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangburra

Why? The Rom will be available on sammobile so just flash with Odin .

Well, I kinda trust the official updates more. How can I be certain the sammobile firmwares aren't modified in some way? Yeah they probably aren't but still leaves a strange feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karwankar

check back to post 129 If the status is normal u can have OTA No more messege "this device has been modified and no updates are available"

Thanks, that sounds interesting! Here's the quote:

Quote:

Device status Normal even after rooting. Follow the steps

1. Install JB ( I have installed BTU)
2. Root it by using CF-root 6.4 Not auto root
3. Chk device status its Modified
4. Install triangle away
5. reset counter and status
6.Restart still the status is modified but binary count is zero
7. Reset phone to factory defaults
8. Root is still available plus cwm recovery
9. chk status Its NORMAL insted of modified counter is 0 Its official binary with root

Will give that a shot soon probably.

edit: at least for now Kies says I have the newest firmware, not saying I can't upgrade. Yet maybe it says that once there is a new version...
The Following User Says Thank You to Landorin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Landorin Ad-Free
5th November 2012, 02:41 PM |#149  
Thanks Meter: 105

More
Quote:

Well, I kinda trust the official updates more. How can I be certain the sammobile firmwares aren't modified in some way? Yeah they probably aren't but still leaves a strange feeling.

Thanks, that sounds interesting! Here's the quote:

Will give that a shot soon probably.

I make some test using stock kernel and siyah latest kernel with custom ROM. Before I flash siyah kernel, I go to setting,about device,device status is normal. When I flash siyah kernel, my device status is modified. I kept repeating a few times it keep switching from normal and modified.Firstly I do megawipe and install custom ROM.
5th November 2012, 03:51 PM |#150  
Flag Buenos Aires
Thanks Meter: 196

More
Please please Chainfire! I need to know what the f*** this means on my phone! I don't know what else to do!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1352127099044.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1458728  
5th November 2012, 04:16 PM |#151  
OP Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

check back to post 129 If the status is normal u can have OTA[COLOR="Silver"]

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=199

EVEN IF you can get the device to say not modified and you could download the OTA that does not mean the OTA will succesfully flash. And one might while another doesn't.

Why does everybody constantly insist on knowing better ?

Quote:

edit: at least for now Kies says I have the newest firmware, not saying I can't upgrade. Yet maybe it says that once there is a new version...

You trust some random dude's opinion on a forum but will not trust a well known (by some even respected) source of stock firmwares - makes sense.

As for KIES, a KIES flash is not a differential (as OTAs are), and as such doesn't really care what you are running on your device. As long as some parameters it looks for are correct (correct CSC + a stock kernel + somewhat "stock-ish" system partition will usually do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammel

Please please Chainfire! I need to know what the f*** this means on my phone! I don't know what else to do!

Probably means you're running CyanogenMod (as in, custom kernel) and have a recent bootloader.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)