[Recovery] TWRP 2.2.2.1 for the GT-I9300 International SGS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

fbatti73

Feb 4, 2011
The "Format data" in the TWRP Recovery, format always everything (/data + /sdcard)

The Rom function "Factory data reset" in Settings/Backup & reset menu, in Sammy Rom format everything (/data + /sdcard); in AOSP CM10 4.1.2 only /data. And is not Recovery related.

But my only - little - problem is with the "Format data" in the TWRP Recovery

Ciaoooo

tomcat84

May 20, 2010
I just backed up my system, wiped, and then restored it with TWRP 2.3.0.0 (installed via GooManager)...

But apparently, it only restored /system, and not /data??

(Of course, I ticked all the checkboxes for /system, /data and /boot)

Is there something I could have possibly overlooked?

EDIT:

WTF, I just rebooted to recovery and looked at my partitions and files via adb...

After restoring my backup, there is a folder called /data/data/app and /data/data/data (and more...), and there are all my files.

Is this a bug in TWRP? or what could I have done wrong?

Is there a way to get TWRP to restore to the correct folders, /data/app and /data/data and so on?

EDIT2:

Now I moved all files from /data/data to /data by hand, using adb via usb... and now everything works. Looks like this is a severe bug in TWRP 2.3, or am I the only one who experienced this?

Last edited:

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
I just backed up my system, wiped, and then restored it with TWRP 2.3.0.0 (installed via GooManager)...

But apparently, it only restored /system, and not /data??

(Of course, I ticked all the checkboxes for /system, /data and /boot)

Is there something I could have possibly overlooked?

EDIT:

WTF, I just rebooted to recovery and looked at my partitions and files via adb...

After restoring my backup, there is a folder called /data/data/app and /data/data/data (and more...), and there are all my files.

Is this a bug in TWRP? or what could I have done wrong?

Is there a way to get TWRP to restore to the correct folders, /data/app and /data/data and so on?

EDIT2:

Now I moved all files from /data/data to /data by hand, using adb via usb... and now everything works. Looks like this is a severe bug in TWRP 2.3, or am I the only one who experienced this?

I might have to start my own thread for TWRP since I can't update the OP here. We fixed this bug in 2.3.1.0 so it's time to update. It only affected users with large backups (1.5GB or greater) and it was on the restore side, so after updating to 2.3.1.0 it will restore fine.

Reactions: tomcat84

AAccount

Sep 8, 2010
I might have to start my own thread for TWRP since I can't update the OP here. We fixed this bug in 2.3.1.0 so it's time to update. It only affected users with large backups (1.5GB or greater) and it was on the restore side, so after updating to 2.3.1.0 it will restore fine.

Yes, please start a new thread. I dont really have time to work on the recovery. I just made the first compile attempt. Ill hand off managing twrp and fiing issue to you.

tomcat84

May 20, 2010

Thanks for the info. Will update to 2.3.1.0 then...

(My backups are usually around 3.5 GB :))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I managed to compile twrp for the SGS3 GT-I9300. I loved this recovery on my SGS1 (until I couldn't get it to activate on devil kernel) and my Galaxy Tab 10.1. It has saved my rear end several times while testing the A1 kernel. With its on recovery terminal I could dd flash the stock kernel. CWM Touch is nice but I ABSOLUTELY LOATHE the blobs backup format. It makes it darn near impossible to save nandroid backups on your computer. I can understand the logic behind the blobs format but I still hate it. Also, I think it's a shame that the American/Canadian Qualcomm SGS3 has TWRP but the international power house doesn't.

I just downloaded the twrp source a few hours ago so this is TWRP V2.2.2.1. Unfortunately, the external SD does not mount but I did manage to get adb to work. I think that you could always adb push a rom zip in the event you cannot boot, forgot to make a nandroid, and forgot to have a "just in case" zip. Also, when rebooting, YOU MUST CHOOSE REBOOT SYSTEM. If you just poweroff, it will reboot into recovery the next time. If you forget and choose poweroff and it reboots into recovery, just choose reboot system and everything will be fine.

Attached is A1 (the character my A1 kernel is named after) holding my I9300 showing the recovery. The source is also uploaded, which includes files that I've changed in case anybody is interested to know how I did it. There is a rootzwiki page with instructions I followed. Just a few minor deviations from the instructions. I did "make recoveryimage" instead of "make amp amp..." that they recommended. And the obvious deviation, our device is called i9300 not tenderloin. That's the HP Touchpad.

I flashed the latest CM10 nightly from it, the latest siyah kernel and a touchwiz zip and nothing went wrong. Also tested backup and restore. Went fine.

Here is a youtube video demonstrating TWRP on the Galaxy Nexus by some random person on youtube.

Credits: team win, siyah kernel developer (recycled your zip to make the recovery zip). None of the code is original from me. I only tweaked the recovery.rc to enable adb.
    I pushed out 2.3.0.0 to most devices including the i9300 which also means that you can install TWRP via GooManager if you are already rooted. This update also fixes issues with the removable sdcard.
    I've made a zip file to install TWRP 2.3.0.0 for International I9300.

To Dees_Troy
    I hope is not a problem for you :fingers-crossed:

Ciaoooo
    Updated to 2.3.1.0 on the http://teamw.in website or through GooManager.
    For those trying to flash vrtheme zips:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30950470&postcount=140

The zipalign binary goes inside the vrtheme folder in the zip.

If AAccount is willing to push the device configuration files used to compile TWRP for the I9300, I should be able to sort out the external sdcard issues in just a few minutes along with adding the I9300 to GooManager for automated install on rooted devices.

Thanks for helping port TWRP. I had been wanting to get TWRP onto the I9300 for a while but the I9300 is hard to find in the USA and testers weren't easy for me to find either.