FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor View 10

[APP] GVM: Galaxy Volume Modifier - v1.0.2 - JellyBean FC Fix

1,912 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,042

Post Reply Email Thread
NOTE: This is ONLY for rooted, International Samsung Galaxy S III's. It will not work on any other model as far as I know.

If anyone's been following my thread on SGS3 volume hacks and modifications you'll most likely already know what this app does, if not, here's the thread which should explain everything you need to know!

Now, this is by no means finished, it's simply a 'proof-of-concept' app at the moment, showing that it does indeed work in app form!

UPDATE 17/08/12: I'd consider this fully in beta and no longer just a 'proof-of-concept'. So far, the Speaker, In-Call and Ringtone options are done.

Requirements
- An International Samsung Galaxy S III with Root Access and Busybox
- The ROM you're running must be a Samsung ROM (i.e. not CM)
- A knowledge of ADB, Fastboot and the flashing process, just in case.

Features

You can alter the "Output Volume" and the "Boost Volume" for the Earpiece, Speaker, Headset, Headphones and Dock for the Normal sound, the In-Call sound and the Ringtone ("Dock" options not available for 'In-Call').

GVM will also now read from the file and fill in the current values that are in use.

The "Output Volume", by default, is set to 50 and can reach a maximum of 63. The "Boost Volume", on the other hand, isn't used normally (so it's default is 0) but can be increased to 55 (the combination of 63 and 55 is the loudest you can possibly push this phone, via this method, and is NOT recommended as it is insanely loud and distorts horribly!).

If you have already altered the "default_gain.conf" file on your device it should still work fine provided you haven't added any new lines or screwed about with the format. In any case, it's probably wise to replace it with the version attached to this post, just so everything still works smoothly (open the .zip and move the file inside, the "default_gain.conf", to "/system/etc/" and you're good to go!)

Bugs/Upcoming Features
- The "Terms and Conditions" page opens every time you open then app. This will be changed to only the first time.
- The values you can enter are not limited, so you can input higher values than 63. It will simply "break" the audio on your device until you change it back.
- All the other options (such as "In-Call" and "Ringtone") will be added in soon.
- It doesn't currently "read" from the file and fill in the current values. This is a planned feature.

Change Log
V1.0.2 - 29/08/2012
- There's now an option to flash the original 'default_gain.conf' for those of you who have edited ones
- Force Close on Jelly Bean has been fixed (permission problem)
- Now displays a message each time you apply to let you know it has finished

V1.0.1 - 17/08/2012
- 'Terms and Conditions' only appears once when you first run the app
- 'In-Call' and 'Ringtone' pages added
- The app now reads from the 'default_gain.conf' file and fills in the values you are currently using for you

v1.0.0 - Release Beta

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: apk GVMv1.0.0.apk - [Click for QR Code] (165.7 KB, 3558 views)
File Type: zip open_me.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.8 KB, 4053 views)
File Type: apk GVMv1.0.1.apk - [Click for QR Code] (176.1 KB, 1835 views)
File Type: apk GVMv1.0.2.apk - [Click for QR Code] (179.9 KB, 17816 views)
The Following 62 Users Say Thank You to Meltus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Meltus Ad-Free

11th August 2012, 01:36 AM |#2  
Flag Yorkshire
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I'm assuming that this only works on Samsung roms.
11th August 2012, 03:20 AM |#3  
Flag Salamina,Greece
Thanks Meter: 1,265

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry4n

I'm assuming that this only works on Samsung roms.

Yes i was thinking the same...
You can tweak it the same on cm9/10 manually though! (it's quite easy..)
11th August 2012, 05:31 AM |#4  
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 117

More
Works like a charm

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
Hammer_Of_The_Gods
11th August 2012, 01:19 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi,
Meltus, so for the SIII Volume+ is no longer needed? "GVM" only for the SIII (obviously ) and Volume+ is more a "generic" app?
With this new app+your sound hack all is ok?

Or I misunderstood something? Because with SiyahKernel (which comes with some sound modifications) Volume+ was not great, I mean no much more improvement like on my Gnex. So with "GVM" it's good...?

Thanks

EDIT: note, you will tell me to try and see ... that's what I'll do

In any case thanks for this and also thanks for Volume+ wich helped me for my Gnex and his poor volume sound
11th August 2012, 01:26 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsmw_gr

Yes i was thinking the same...
You can tweak it the same on cm9/10 manually though! (it's quite easy..)

Yeah, it only works for Samsung ROMs at the moment but I might try and add in CM support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking37

Hi,
Meltus, so for the SIII Volume+ is no longer needed? "GVM" only for the SIII (obviously ) and Volume+ is more a "generic" app?
With this new app+your sound hack all is ok?

Or I misunderstood something?

Thanks

EDIT:note, you will tell me to try and see ...

That completely depends.
If you only use Volume+ as a generic volume booster then no, it isn't really needed anymore. But Volume+ is an equalizer so you can tweak the sound as much as you like, making it have much more bass or much more treble, etc. This mod simply increases the volume. They should both work fine together, although I've not really tested them that much.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meltus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Meltus Ad-Free
12th August 2012, 02:11 PM |#7  
Flag Metro Manila
Thanks Meter: 7

More
nice app thank you
12th August 2012, 04:59 PM |#8  
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 475

Donate to Me
More
Would be good if you could have it read the existing values and display them so you know what you are currently at.

Excellent work though.
13th August 2012, 05:23 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonize

Would be good if you could have it read the existing values and display them so you know what you are currently at.

Excellent work though.

That's the plan
The Following User Says Thank You to Meltus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Meltus Ad-Free
15th August 2012, 05:59 PM |#10  
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Man, thanks for creating the app. Is a great idea.

But, I cannot make this nor the manual edit in "[MOD][ROOT] Audio Hacks and Modifications + New Insanely Loud Volume Hack!! (post 2)" work.

This app is only install, give permissions, modifiy & save, and that shoul be it, right? I have the GT-I9300 running stock ROM.

I will wait for a next update.
17th August 2012, 06:27 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester

Donate to Me
More
V1.0.1 - 17/08/2012
- 'Terms and Conditions' only appears once when you first run the app
- 'In-Call' and 'Ringtone' pages added
- The app now reads from the 'default_gain.conf' file and fills in the values you are currently using for you
The Following User Says Thank You to Meltus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Meltus Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)