FORUMS

(HOW TO/FIX) wifi range problems and authentication errors!

348 posts
Thanks Meter: 91

By slking1989, Senior Member on 30th July 2012, 08:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Ok so I so I have suffered from authentication errors and ridiculously poor WiFi range since I rooted my phone. Or most probably since I flashed a custom Rom (omega) for the first time..

Now, after endless research and lots of trial and error (or as I say, terror) I have finally found a solution. Although this is NOT and ideal solution, it solved my problem. Not being able to use WiFi at work when I'm only around 7 meters from the server is an absolute no no for me! Especially twinned with the frustration of 30 attempts to authenticate and still having 70 odd % signal and yet no connectivity.

So here goes..

For me.. disabling power saving mode via *#0011# did NOT work.
Nor did flashing back to stock without root.
Flashing cm9 did NOT work.
Flashing stock did Not work. And full cwm wipe didn't work either. And all other combinations.

So by hard work, research into other threads, Lots of terror and pure luck. I fixed my problem.

Apologies if this does not work for you.. but if u Have simular problems to me. I'm sure it will work. So follow these steps

1. back up via android. Copy backup to pc if u try this and it doesn't work u cant go back to before. Also backup and apps or pics music etc to pc.

2. Download latest stock Rom with root

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1704185

Thanks to wanam!

3. full Wipe, wipe cache partition, wipe dalvik cache. Flash latest wanam stock Rom. And repeat the wiping in recovery again. Full, cache and dalvik. Fix permissions.

4. Now reboot. And test if u still have the problem. As I did still. If not... yay you!

5. Do a hard reset. Yes a factory reset. NOT a full wipe via recovery. A reset via settings/backup and wipe/factory personal data reset. WARNING by doing this you will lose all app settings. All android backups and all data on internal storage. I believe this will also leave your ext sd contents unusable so ALWAYS backup to pc!

6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 again. This made my WiFi range and connectivity problems
Disappear! Although I still had authentication errors

7.Then repeat step 5 and see your outcome. It's seems for me atleast, that a double wipe was necessary. I'm not sure about you guys.

I hope this works for you all!

Thank me if it did or If I've helped in anyway!

Happy to answer questions! Noob or not.

Thanks to JJE and d4seeker for there effort in trying to help me!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

The Following User Says Thank You to slking1989 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift slking1989 Ad-Free
30th July 2012, 09:49 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slking1989

3. full Wipe, wipe cache partition, wipe dalvik cache. Flash latest wanam stock Rom. And repeat the wiping in recovery again. Full, cache and dalvik. Fix permissions.

I'm fairly sure you can skip the second wiping here and go straight to factory reset, correct?
30th July 2012, 09:58 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ipswich

More
Yeah most probably. But I thought I'd just share with you exactly how I fixed this problem.

Let me know how you get/got on with it.

30th July 2012, 11:12 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ipswich

More
Does anyone know why this happens?

31st July 2012, 01:22 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Congratulations !

But then , you rooted or stay unroot ?

Best regards
31st July 2012, 07:23 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ipswich

More
Stay rooted

The Following User Says Thank You to slking1989 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift slking1989 Ad-Free
31st July 2012, 08:22 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ipswich

More
Did this work for u mate?

31st July 2012, 09:27 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:

Did this work for u mate?

I put a stock Rom and rooted. Since then I got WiFi problems.then I flashed again the Stock Rom but I didn't root and it seems to work fine. Once after I've read your post I'm thinking about getting root again but maybe I'll wait to see if I have now OTA upgrades or I haven't (i wouldn't like to loss them .
31st July 2012, 12:14 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ipswich

More
Ok so I still have authentication errors. But only very few. And it's not affecting me. Seems strange that I am stock and I've reset. Must be faulty hardware. Surely. It's much better than before. Very usable. But still occasional errors. Someone must know more about this...

13th September 2014, 02:04 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hi,

I also got problems similar to yours, I believe.

I always flashed ROMs from sam mobile. Since the 1st one after the original, I was bound to use the #*0011# workaround.

I believe after I flashed CM11 recently wifi didnt behave ok anymore.

Then I wiped everything a lot of times (not as you suggested though), installed a lot of ROMs,
but wifi only connects within a certain range from the router.

There are a lot of glitches to that, as you may have noticed as well. For instance, the 1st time
you associate to a network, usually it connects straight away. After that, it's a nightmare.

But one thing that made me believe this is a rom/kernel/root issue, is this: you try and fail to
connect. Go to the service screen via #*0011#. The wifi module/process don't know the tech term,
is unable to show the bssid or even the ssid, although any play app can. That is very very odd.

Also, in this scenario sometimes when you can connect, #*0011# info is weird, like rssi -200,
speed -1Mbps, did you see those numbers too?

All in all, I don't think your solution is far fetched, it could really be needed multiple wipes and all.

I'm still trying another regions ROMs, like 4.3 Switzerland, and I plan to downgrade until something better happens.
Thing is, I already flashed the -original- ROM, which was ICS, but wifi was not ok. That is what
put me on defcon 1... lol...

Well, good luck for us...
cheers,
Xezi

Quote:

Ok so I so I have suffered from authentication errors and ridiculously poor WiFi range since I rooted my phone. Or most probably since I flashed a custom Rom (omega) for the first time..

Now, after endless research and lots of trial and error (or as I say, terror) I have finally found a solution. Although this is NOT and ideal solution, it solved my problem. Not being able to use WiFi at work when I'm only around 7 meters from the server is an absolute no no for me! Especially twinned with the frustration of 30 attempts to authenticate and still having 70 odd % signal and yet no connectivity.

So here goes..

For me.. disabling power saving mode via *#0011# did NOT work.
Nor did flashing back to stock without root.
Flashing cm9 did NOT work.
Flashing stock did Not work. And full cwm wipe didn't work either. And all other combinations.

So by hard work, research into other threads, Lots of terror and pure luck. I fixed my problem.

Apologies if this does not work for you.. but if u Have simular problems to me. I'm sure it will work. So follow these steps

1. back up via android. Copy backup to pc if u try this and it doesn't work u cant go back to before. Also backup and apps or pics music etc to pc.

2. Download latest stock Rom with root

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1704185

Thanks to wanam!

4. Now reboot. And test if u still have the problem. As I did still. If not... yay you!

5. Do a hard reset. Yes a factory reset. NOT a full wipe via recovery. A reset via settings/backup and wipe/factory personal data reset. WARNING by doing this you will lose all app settings. All android backups and all data on internal storage. I believe this will also leave your ext sd contents unusable so ALWAYS backup to pc!

6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 again. This made my WiFi range and connectivity problems
Disappear! Although I still had authentication errors

7.Then repeat step 5 and see your outcome. It's seems for me atleast, that a double wipe was necessary. I'm not sure about you guys.

I hope this works for you all!

Thank me if it did or If I've helped in anyway!

Happy to answer questions! Noob or not.

Thanks to JJE and d4seeker for there effort in trying to help me!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)