[MOD+GUIDE][V3][10.06]Modified TouchWiz Home&App Drawer

Search This thread

Toss3

May 13, 2008
Stockholm
Phone sent in for repairs so I won't be updating for awhile, but do try the recommended version based on XXALEF if you're having widget scaling issues. Might be up and running again tomorrow if I'm in luck!

89dogg

Mar 24, 2012
Zürich
ok. i'll try it tomorrow with recomended version.
i'll report and post s screen. hopening that this will work :)
thx mate

IroniX2

Nov 27, 2009
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
Wow, this is so awesome, I gave up TWlauncher because of the wasted screen space, but this is a perfect fix :D

Only request is to be able to resize all widgets, that would get rid if the various scaling problems

Again, thank you very much
Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA

roan67

Jan 19, 2009
Thanks for this jobs !

no 4X* Music widget on home with SecLauncher2_4x6-5x6_SCR-off.apk

just 3X*

roubchi

Jun 13, 2012
Can this *.apk to be applied on original (only rooted) stock firmware (XXALEF)?
I mean, this is NOT de-odex'ed ROM, and I see inside APKs attached here there is classes.dex inside APK, but on my stock system there is no classes.dex inside but there is separate .odex file outside os the APK (same-name.odex). So is it really Ok to follow installation instructions referenced here on original stock ROM?

Big thanks.

wanam

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Jan 26, 2011
Toulouse
wanam.net
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 5 III
Known Issues:
  • Widget Scaling problems (should work okay with 4x6 Home Screen)
  • Microstuttering (Stutter is worse with 5x6 than with 4x6, as well as with Wallpaper Scrolling On rather than Off)
  • Recommended Version: SecLauncher2_4x6-5x6_SCR-off.apk
Modified Framework:
Features:
  • Disable Scrolling Cache(not recommended in ICS)

Nice mod Toss3, i have a question about disabling scrolling cache, why it's not recommended in ICS? i did it for all of my sgs2 ics updates without any reported issue!

beeboss

Nov 29, 2011
Moscow
Can this launcher be somehow modified to disable pinch to zoom option in widget section of app-drawer because it lags a lot really. Thanks!

Toss3

May 13, 2008
Stockholm
Can this launcher be somehow modified to disable pinch to zoom option in widget section of app-drawer because it lags a lot really. Thanks!

I just got a new phone today, so I'll see what I can do. Have another exam tomorrow, but I'll be writing a short guide today on how to do the modifications yourself. That way we'll have more people working on getting everything in shape.

Reactions: beeboss

roubchi

Jun 13, 2012
I just got a new phone today, so I'll see what I can do. Have another exam tomorrow, but I'll be writing a short guide today on how to do the modifications yourself. That way we'll have more people working on getting everything in shape.

Huge thanks...

And please (see above) can we have very clear explanation for beginners on
(DE-)Odex'ing?.. I mean not detailed info on how to de-odex (or why de-odex), but having Odex'ed stock ROM is it possible (safe) to apply the thing or if not why, hot to make it possible etc.

Toss3

May 13, 2008
Stockholm
How to create your very own version of TouchWiz

Complexity level: Low
Skill requirements: Need to know how to use CMD and preferably ADB
Requirements: Rooted & deodexed phone, APKtool, Notepad++, WinRar/7zip and a Windows PC(you can do it on other OS:s as well, but I'm using Windows so that's what I recommend)​

So now let's start - this is what we are aiming for:

Before:
scaled.php
After:
5x5homescreeny885z.jpeg

1. Now what we want to do first is download the apktool from this link over HERE.
2. It is important that you use the version meant for ICS otherwise you are going to run into problems
3. Now we need to extract the contents of the apktool.zip file and put it somewhere we have an easy time finding(my recommendation is simply to create a new folder on your C-drive, like so: C:/APKtool).
4. Now we need to copy your framework-res.apk file located on your phone on /Sytem/framework/framework-res.apk, by either pulling it with ADB(requires Android SDK available HERE) or by simply copying it over with a file explorer such as THIS one.
(Guide on how to use ADB HERE)
5. We will also be needing the SecLauncher2.apk that we want to modify, so pull/copy it from /System/App/SecLauncher2.apk to the same folder you put APKtool in.
6. Now we need to make sure that we have the framework-res.apk and SecLauncher2.apk files we just pulled from our phone inside the same folder as APKtool(if you followed my recommendations in this guide this would be C:/APKtool)

Now the pre-fun part starts:

7. Open up CMD on your Windows-machine, either by doing the Win+R method(which opens the RUN-window, from where you open CMD
by just writing "CMD" and pressing "RETURN" on your keyboard) or simply by searching for it.
8. Now we need to make sure that CMD is running from the same folder as APKtool so what we do here is write: "CD C:/apktool", which changes the folder to C:/APKtool
9. What we need to do now is install the framework-res.apk file to APKTool and we do this via CMD by typing "apktool if framework-res.apk", which installs it to C:/Users/Username(your username)/apktool/framework/1.apk

Now we have everything we need to start decompiling the APK-files!

10. Now what you need is a handy tool such as Notepad++ to edit your files inside of the apk. Download HERE.
11. Now what I do is two make a copy of the SecLauncher2.apk, and at the same time rename it to Launcher.apk
12. Now you need to open up CMD again(navigate to your apktool folder by executing the "CD C:/apktool"-command)
13. Write "apktool d launcher.apk" which decompiles it to a folder called launcher(the command we are running here is: "apktool d -f
(to force overwrite of any prior folder sharing the same name) yourapk.apk foldername(the name of the folder you want to extract the contents of your .apk to))"

14. Now we have a bunch of folders and files, but we only need to edit some XML-files inside the Launcher/res/values and values-sw359dp-xhdpi folders

Jump to 17 if you don't want to enable wallpaper-scrolling, otherwise continue reading

15. We'll start by enabling wallpaper-scrolling by navigating to the "Launcher/res/values" folder and opening the bools.xml file with Notepad++
16. What you need to change here is the boolean value for "<bool name="config_fixedWallpaperOffset">true</bool>" from true to false.(Now you've enabled wallpaper-scrolling, hard was it not? :p)

The following is for editing the layout of the home-screen and app drawer(if you want to keep the stock layout jump to 24):

17. Navigate to "Launcher/res/values-sw359dp-xhdpi"
18. Inside you will find the following files: "bools.xml", "dimens.xml", "fractions.xml", "integers.xml" and "styles.xml"
19. The files we need to edit are the "integers.xml" and "dimens.xml" files.
20. We'll start by editing the integers.xml file(this is all pretty straight forward):
a) The integer values here are aptly
named and it's not hard to guess what each value does: home_cellCountX is the number of cells in the X(horizontal)-axis on the homescreen while the Y-value again, corresponds to the number of cells on the Y(vertical)-axis.
b) The manuAppsGrid_cellCountX and Y correspond to the amount of cells in the X- and Y-axis of the App Drawer.
Note! Editing the hotseat_cellcount-values has no affect that I know of(tried it already).
21. Now that you've decided on the amount of Apps you want visible on both your HomeScreen and AppDrawer, you need to edit the dimensions as well so that they fit onto your screen.
22. Thus we need to edit the "dimens.xml" file:

a)The values you want to change here are the following for the HomeScreen:
Code:
 "<dimen name="home_cellWidth">90.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_cellHeight">85.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_cellGapX">0.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_cellGapY">0.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_cellGapMax">18.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_pageIndicatorGap">12.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_pageIndicatorTop">520.0dip</dimen>"

These need to suit your layout, and it takes a lot of trial and error to get these values right, but you can always download the modified launchers in the OP of this thread, decompile them and get the values from there.

23. For your app drawer you'll need to edit these values:
Code:
  "<dimen name="menuAppsGrid_pageMarginPlusPaddingTop">10.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="menuAppsGrid_cellWidth">70.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="menuAppsGrid_cellHeight">90.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="menuAppsGrid_cellGapX">0.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="menuAppsGrid_cellGapY">0.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="menuAppsGrid_cellGapMax">18.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="menu_pageIndicatorGap">12.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="menu_pageIndicatorTop">550.0dip</dimen>"

24. Once you've done this you'll just need to open up CMD and write "apktool b SecLauncherNew.apk" to compile your modified launcher, and create an .apk named SecLauncherNew.apk
25. BUT We're not done yet! Open up the SecLauncher2.apk in your apktool folder as well as your SecLauncherNew.apk you just created, with WinRAR/7zip.
26. Copy over the "res" and "resources.arsc" files to your original SecLauncher2.apk, overwriting the old ones.
27. This keeps the signature of the APK in tact, which means that you'll have no problem installing it on your phone
28. Push or Copy the modified SecLauncher2.apk over to your /system/app folder on your phone, making sure that you overwrite the existing SecLauncher2.apk application
29. Reboot!

YOU ARE DONE! Congratulations, you are now running your very own version of TouchWiz. :)

Last edited:

Toss3

May 13, 2008
Stockholm
Nice mod Toss3, i have a question about disabling scrolling cache, why it's not recommended in ICS? i did it for all of my sgs2 ics updates without any reported issue!

It was needed in Gingerbread, because scrolling cache wasn't functioning very well, but on ICS it makes scrolling less smooth: Linky

android:scrollingCache

When set to true, the list uses a drawing cache during scrolling. This makes the rendering faster but uses more memory. The default value is true.
Must be a boolean value, either "true" or "false".
This may also be a reference to a resource (in the form "@[package:]type:name") or theme attribute (in the form "?[package:][type:]name") containing a value of this type.
This corresponds to the global attribute resource symbol scrollingCache.

beeboss

Nov 29, 2011
Moscow
Nice work, man! Please can you also add a manual how to disable pinch -to-zoom in the app-drawer if it's possible :) Thanks a lot!

beeboss

Nov 29, 2011
Moscow
Maybe i'm doing something wrong but after completing first steps when i type "apktool if framework-res.apk" cmd gives me an error... :(

lostsoul

Feb 8, 2007
www.inspectorgadgets.net
Looks nice.

What I personally would love to see is no icon text on homescreens. Like you can set in go launcher and others.

If you can do that it would be awesome!

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9300

Last edited:

cc1961

May 17, 2008
I tried to copy the file with Root Explorer (Omega Rom 5.0), but I got a message that said Read-Only file, and so couldn't do it. I'm sure I'm missing something, but don't know what ...

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Problem solved. I changed the Permissions setting in Root Explorer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Modified TouchWiz by Toss3​
    Features:
    • Wallpaper Scrolling: On/Off
    • Home Screen in all sizes: 4x5, 4x6, 5x5, 5x6
    • App Drawer in all sizes: 4x5, 5x5, 5x6
    • Custom Combinations to suit everyone
    Requirements:
    • Root
    • Deodexed ROM
    ScreenShots:
    HomeScreens:
    4x5homescreent8moi.jpeg
    4x6homescreendhkaq.jpeg
    5x5homescreeny885z.jpeg

4x5, 4x6, 5x5
    5x6homescreenm5m3z.jpeg

5x6

App Drawer:
    4x5appdrawer7tj3v.jpeg
    5x5appdrawer0amt2.jpeg
    5x6appdrawercw82u.jpeg

4x5, 5x5, 5x6

Install Instructions:
    1. Choose combination of []x[]Home[]x[]AppDrawer[SCR]Wallpaper Scrolling On or Off .apk
    2. Backup SecLauncher2.apk in /system/app
    3. Rename the downloaded SecLauncher2xxxxx.apk to SecLauncher2.apk
    4. Move the renamed .apk to /system/app and replace the old SecLauncher2.apk(make sure the name is exactly the same, otherwise you will have two different versions)
    5. Reboot

Thanks To:

*GUIDE* Available HERE
    How to create your very own version of TouchWiz

Complexity level: Low
    Skill requirements: Need to know how to use CMD and preferably ADB
    Requirements: Rooted & deodexed phone, APKtool, Notepad++, WinRar/7zip and a Windows PC(you can do it on other OS:s as well, but I'm using Windows so that's what I recommend)​

So now let's start - this is what we are aiming for:

Before:
    scaled.php
    After:
    5x5homescreeny885z.jpeg

1. Now what we want to do first is download the apktool from this link over HERE.
    2. It is important that you use the version meant for ICS otherwise you are going to run into problems
    3. Now we need to extract the contents of the apktool.zip file and put it somewhere we have an easy time finding(my recommendation is simply to create a new folder on your C-drive, like so: C:/APKtool).
    4. Now we need to copy your framework-res.apk file located on your phone on /Sytem/framework/framework-res.apk, by either pulling it with ADB(requires Android SDK available HERE) or by simply copying it over with a file explorer such as THIS one.
    (Guide on how to use ADB HERE)
    5. We will also be needing the SecLauncher2.apk that we want to modify, so pull/copy it from /System/App/SecLauncher2.apk to the same folder you put APKtool in.
    6. Now we need to make sure that we have the framework-res.apk and SecLauncher2.apk files we just pulled from our phone inside the same folder as APKtool(if you followed my recommendations in this guide this would be C:/APKtool)

Now the pre-fun part starts:

7. Open up CMD on your Windows-machine, either by doing the Win+R method(which opens the RUN-window, from where you open CMD
    by just writing "CMD" and pressing "RETURN" on your keyboard) or simply by searching for it.
    8. Now we need to make sure that CMD is running from the same folder as APKtool so what we do here is write: "CD C:/apktool", which changes the folder to C:/APKtool
    9. What we need to do now is install the framework-res.apk file to APKTool and we do this via CMD by typing "apktool if framework-res.apk", which installs it to C:/Users/Username(your username)/apktool/framework/1.apk

Now we have everything we need to start decompiling the APK-files!

10. Now what you need is a handy tool such as Notepad++ to edit your files inside of the apk. Download HERE.
    11. Now what I do is two make a copy of the SecLauncher2.apk, and at the same time rename it to Launcher.apk
    12. Now you need to open up CMD again(navigate to your apktool folder by executing the "CD C:/apktool"-command)
    13. Write "apktool d launcher.apk" which decompiles it to a folder called launcher(the command we are running here is: "apktool d -f
    (to force overwrite of any prior folder sharing the same name) yourapk.apk foldername(the name of the folder you want to extract the contents of your .apk to))"

14. Now we have a bunch of folders and files, but we only need to edit some XML-files inside the Launcher/res/values and values-sw359dp-xhdpi folders

Jump to 17 if you don't want to enable wallpaper-scrolling, otherwise continue reading

15. We'll start by enabling wallpaper-scrolling by navigating to the "Launcher/res/values" folder and opening the bools.xml file with Notepad++
    16. What you need to change here is the boolean value for "<bool name="config_fixedWallpaperOffset">true</bool>" from true to false.(Now you've enabled wallpaper-scrolling, hard was it not? :p)

The following is for editing the layout of the home-screen and app drawer(if you want to keep the stock layout jump to 24):

17. Navigate to "Launcher/res/values-sw359dp-xhdpi"
    18. Inside you will find the following files: "bools.xml", "dimens.xml", "fractions.xml", "integers.xml" and "styles.xml"
    19. The files we need to edit are the "integers.xml" and "dimens.xml" files.
    20. We'll start by editing the integers.xml file(this is all pretty straight forward):
    a) The integer values here are aptly
    named and it's not hard to guess what each value does: home_cellCountX is the number of cells in the X(horizontal)-axis on the homescreen while the Y-value again, corresponds to the number of cells on the Y(vertical)-axis.
    b) The manuAppsGrid_cellCountX and Y correspond to the amount of cells in the X- and Y-axis of the App Drawer.
    Note! Editing the hotseat_cellcount-values has no affect that I know of(tried it already).
    21. Now that you've decided on the amount of Apps you want visible on both your HomeScreen and AppDrawer, you need to edit the dimensions as well so that they fit onto your screen.
    22. Thus we need to edit the "dimens.xml" file:

a)The values you want to change here are the following for the HomeScreen:
    Code:
     "<dimen name="home_cellWidth">90.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="home_cellHeight">85.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="home_cellGapX">0.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="home_cellGapY">0.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="home_cellGapMax">18.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="home_pageIndicatorGap">12.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="home_pageIndicatorTop">520.0dip</dimen>"

These need to suit your layout, and it takes a lot of trial and error to get these values right, but you can always download the modified launchers in the OP of this thread, decompile them and get the values from there.

23. For your app drawer you'll need to edit these values:
    Code:
      "<dimen name="menuAppsGrid_pageMarginPlusPaddingTop">10.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="menuAppsGrid_cellWidth">70.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="menuAppsGrid_cellHeight">90.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="menuAppsGrid_cellGapX">0.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="menuAppsGrid_cellGapY">0.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="menuAppsGrid_cellGapMax">18.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="menu_pageIndicatorGap">12.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="menu_pageIndicatorTop">550.0dip</dimen>"

24. Once you've done this you'll just need to open up CMD and write "apktool b SecLauncherNew.apk" to compile your modified launcher, and create an .apk named SecLauncherNew.apk
    25. BUT We're not done yet! Open up the SecLauncher2.apk in your apktool folder as well as your SecLauncherNew.apk you just created, with WinRAR/7zip.
    26. Copy over the "res" and "resources.arsc" files to your original SecLauncher2.apk, overwriting the old ones.
    27. This keeps the signature of the APK in tact, which means that you'll have no problem installing it on your phone
    28. Push or Copy the modified SecLauncher2.apk over to your /system/app folder on your phone, making sure that you overwrite the existing SecLauncher2.apk application
    29. Reboot!

YOU ARE DONE! Congratulations, you are now running your very own version of TouchWiz. :)
    Recommended Version(Latest Version / Beta-testing)
    • Recommended version 4x6 Home Screen + 5x6 App Drawer
    • Launcher from XXALEF(could potentially fix microstuttering)

The other SecLauncher2.apk you see below, is just the stock launcher with SCR-On.
    Known Issues:
    • Widget Scaling problems (should work okay with 4x6 Home Screen)
    • Microstuttering (Stutter is worse with 5x6 than with 4x6, as well as with Wallpaper Scrolling On rather than Off)
    • Recommended Version: SecLauncher2_4x6-5x6_SCR-off.apk
    Modified Framework:
    Features:
    • Disable Scrolling Cache(not recommended in ICS)
    Based on DLH6 Launcher
    5x6 homescreen + Appdrawer
    Max. homescreens = 9
    smaller icon size

(all changes like my v2 for blh4)

have fun :)

can someone share a 5x4 version with wallpaper scroll for Jelly Bean? thanks..

attached :)