FORUMS

[Port][App] GS3 TouchWiz camera app for all AOSP 4.2.2 ROMs [4.3 beta now available!]

25 posts
Thanks Meter: 133
 
By Treeki, Junior Member on 20th July 2013, 08:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi! This is my first mod for Android; a partially working attempt at getting the Samsung camera (from the leaked 4.2.2 ROM; XUFME7) to work on AOSP ROMs. Not a skin, this is the full camera along with most of the features!

Want to see it in action? No screenshot - it looks exactly the same as on TW ROMs - but here's a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYX4PSVDiIU Apologies for the terrible quality, but it's hard to film a phone with the Nexus 7's front camera, and I couldn't find a decent screen capture app :<

--

Port for Android 4.3
Beta version NOW AVAILABLE, click here for details + download: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=135
It doesn't work as well as the 4.2.2 version - in particular, video recording is 100% broken, even in the AOSP camera - but you can still try it out if you don't mind this!

--

Port for Android 4.2.2

Working/Non-Working Features List:
What Works:
Front and back cameras
"Wand" Filters
Flash
Auto & Macro focus modes
Tap-to-focus
White Balance options
GPS tagging
Gallery shortcut (uses AOSP Gallery)

Shooting modes:
Single Shot
Best Photo
Face Detection
HDR
Beauty
Smile Shot
Low light

Possibly Working, depending on kernel:
(These features require that the mediaserver process can write to /sdcard (for burst shot/best face) and /data (for panorama). The only way to change this is using a modified kernel with an init.rc which gives it that access. In my experience, with Googy-Max kernel, Panorama works but the other two don't. Your mileage may vary.)
Burst shot
Best Face
Panorama

Not Working, may be fixed later:
Shutter sounds
Automatic mDNIe / screen brightness adjustment

Not Working, unlikely to be fixed:
Camcorder
Share Shot
Voice recognition
Weather/city photo tagging in the media database (what's this used for exactly?)

Untested:
Buddy Photo Share
External SD card

Download:

Download:
This patch is ONLY compatible with AOSP-based 4.2.2 ROMs running on the GT-I9300 and GT-I9300T; the international models of the Galaxy S3 (Exynos chip, no LTE)
CWM zip: http://devhost.xda-developers.com/sg8 (5.26 MB / MD5: f53d603f49de1bb0aba90546b9bbc1ce)

Notes:
This patch has only been tested on RootBox 4.1. Please let me know if you have trouble using it on any other ROM!



Disclaimer:
This is an experimental patch, and you install it at your own risk! I am not responsible for anything that occurs as a result of this. Always make backups.

Installation:
You need a recovery that allows you to install .zip files; most likely CWM or TWRP. But you probably already have one of these if you're running AOSP on this phone

1. Boot into recovery mode: turn the phone off, hold down VolumeUp+Home and then press the power button
2. Make a Nandroid backup (not obligatory, but recommended in case something goes wrong!)
3. Flash the camera mod zip
4. Wipe the Cache and Dalvik Cache - just in case

Hope you enjoy it! Now go out and take some awesome photos

Changelog:
20th July 2013: Released first version. Camera (+ most features) is functional. Camcorder appears but does not record successfully.
22nd July 2013: Released new version which should work on any AOSP ROM, instead of needing a custom built ROM.
17th October 2013: 4.3 beta release is out.
The Following 64 Users Say Thank You to Treeki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Treeki Ad-Free
20th July 2013, 10:27 PM |#2  
Eleve11's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 283
 
More
Hm, I'm guessing that the picture quality isn't different from the AOSP camera app and this tho there still is missing sources from Samsung that we'll never get.

Otherwise. Nice mod!
The Following User Says Thank You to Eleve11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Eleve11 Ad-Free
20th July 2013, 10:46 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 133
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleve11

Hm, I'm guessing that the picture quality isn't different from the AOSP camera app and this tho there still is missing sources from Samsung that we'll never get.:confused:

Otherwise. Nice mod! :)

Thank you :D

I've seen people talk about how the camera on AOSP is worse because of missing sources, but I'm not sure what sources these are. The Samsung kernel module is open source, and this mod replaces all the user space code related to the camera - as far as I know, anyway - with the TW versions. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this :p)

This is purely anecdotal and rather hard to test accurately, but I never noticed much of a difference in picture quality between AOSP and TW, I just wanted the camera app because of the extra modes and options that are really useful.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Treeki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Treeki Ad-Free
21st July 2013, 09:50 AM |#4  
supreethms's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 185
 
More
I was not Using AOSP based ROMs only for the sake of camera.
But now, i can use any ROM i want..
Thannks man.. This is super cool.. will test this ASAP..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to supreethms For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift supreethms Ad-Free
21st July 2013, 04:38 PM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Well, the full version method didn't work for me on todays' CM nightly build. I installed it following the procedures, and then opened the camera app. The screen went black, and then froze. I restarted the phone, and it kept looping on the boot animation

Luckily I don't delete the CM updater temporary files, so I was able to boot into recovery and re-install the 'stock' CM build. Also, despite the fact that I mostly understood the instructions, they were quite confusing!
21st July 2013, 04:38 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 126
 
More
does hdr work? is it like the tw cam?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
21st July 2013, 06:14 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 133
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuci06

Okay, so I just flashed the modified Rootbox rom, and the burst shot feature does not work properly. The little counter bar comes up, but doesn't shoot photos at all. Also breaks functionality after that, not even the close button works.

Just as I expected :( I'll have to figure out a fix for this somehow...

Writing to /data does seem to work, so maybe I can patch the Samsung lib to store burst shots there, and move them to the SD card from the camera apk :x

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSasha

Well, the full version method didn't work for me on todays' CM nightly build. I installed it following the procedures, and then opened the camera app. The screen went black, and then froze. I restarted the phone, and it kept looping on the boot animation :(

Luckily I don't delete the CM updater temporary files, so I was able to boot into recovery and re-install the 'stock' CM build. Also, despite the fact that I mostly understood the instructions, they were quite confusing!

Apologies for the confusing instructions :< I think I got carried away a bit with the technical details!

You cannot use this mod with an existing build of another ROM (like the CM nightlies) unless it has been compiled with the source code patches I provided. Samsung's camera libs are not compatible with normal AOSP builds, but my patches change the interface in AOSP to fix that.

It's a bit of a lofty goal but I hope that other ROMs will some day include these patches, because it doesn't affect normal camera operation, and it allows you to use the Samsung camera if you flash the appropriate libs...

I would like to provide builds of other ROMs in the future, but this is difficult to do because it takes me 2-3 days to download the source code of each ROM and 8 hours to compile it from scratch - this is why I only have RootBox right now. So it would be extremely helpful if other developers would integrate this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notor1ouS-

does hdr work? is it like the tw cam?

HDR works perfectly :D Exactly like in the TW 4.2 camera, you get an Options menu with Normal/Strong HDR effect and with the option to save original/HDR photo or just HDR.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Treeki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Treeki Ad-Free
21st July 2013, 06:44 PM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeki

Apologies for the confusing instructions :< I think I got carried away a bit with the technical details!

You cannot use this mod with an existing build of another ROM (like the CM nightlies) unless it has been compiled with the source code patches I provided. Samsung's camera libs are not compatible with normal AOSP builds, but my patches change the interface in AOSP to fix that.

It's a bit of a lofty goal but I hope that other ROMs will some day include these patches, because it doesn't affect normal camera operation, and it allows you to use the Samsung camera if you flash the appropriate libs...

I would like to provide builds of other ROMs in the future, but this is difficult to do because it takes me 2-3 days to download the source code of each ROM and 8 hours to compile it from scratch - this is why I only have RootBox right now. So it would be extremely helpful if other developers would integrate this.

Oups... I just copied over the lib and camera files over using a root explorer app. I doubt that I'll have the patience to wait days to build it form source myself, but I'll be looking forward to see these libs integrated in future versions of CM!
21st July 2013, 09:19 PM |#9  
AvivEliyahu's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 113
 
More
"Not Working, unlikely to be fixed:
Camcorder"

is that a typo for "cam recorder" ? or cam recording is working just fine?
21st July 2013, 09:29 PM |#10  
Pantherx12's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 144
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvivEliyahu

"Not Working, unlikely to be fixed:
Camcorder"

is that a typo for "cam recorder" ? or cam recording is working just fine?

Camcorder is a term for video recorder.

Also op thanks this mod hope it gets implemented in the rom I'm using!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherx12 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pantherx12 Ad-Free
22nd July 2013, 12:42 AM |#11  
jimbo77's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Guatemala
Thanks Meter: 2,842
 
Donate to Me
More
@Treeki would you continue to publish updated Rootbox Nightlies with this camera every time Rootbox is updated?

EDIT: I also think you should move this to Android Development forum instead of apps and games because you are working on a ROM based of Rootbox sources... Not just the app itself..


Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes