FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[How-To] Update to I537_OC7 - 5.0.1 and KeepRoot

3,257 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,006

By muniz_ri, Senior Member on 22nd April 2015, 06:04 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
**You can begin the following process from 4.4.x Build/ROM or higher but you must already have Root Access**

**Required** FlashFire - Play BETA - PREVIEW

**Caution!** The following process is only for the I537 AT&T S4 "Active" variant. Use on any other device may result in a hardbrick!

Download:
- I537_OC7_Stock_Rooted_ROM
- I537_OC7_Stock_Rooted_Deodexed_ROM

Pevious Builds:
- I537_OC6_Stock_Rooted_ROM
- I537_OC6_Stock_DeOdexed_ROM

Set your screen timeout setting to 10 mins before beginning!

1. Place the ROM onto your device (use either internal or ext-sdcard).
2. Open the FlashFire app and "Agree" to the Terms and Conditions.
3. Press "(+)" twice to bring up the "Actions" menu.
4. Select "Flash Zip or OTA" and locate and select the ROM. Leave "Auto-mount" unchecked under the "Options" menu and press the checkmark to continue.
5. From the main menu Uncheck all options under "EverRoot" and set "Reboot" setting to "Download."
6. Press the lightning bolt then "Ok" to begin the flash.
7. Once the flash is complete and the device reboots into "Download" mode, flash the I537_OC7_Bootloader using Odin's PDA/AP slot.

The screen will turn black then display the contents of your system before beginning the flash. FlashFire will pause for about 1 minute while flashing the "system" partition. Once complete your device will reboot and pause on the AT&T splash screen for 1 - 2 minutes (15 - 20mins for DeOdexed version) before completely rebooting. Done!

Tip: for blazing fast speed turn off animations from Developer Options and reboot!

Known Issues:
- None!

Optional - Enable Native Tethering:
- I537_OC7_TetherAddOn
- I537_OC6_TetherAddOn (Flash using FF's "Flash zip or ota" option.

Notes:
1. The above process will not affect your Knox Warranty Flag.
2. The process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery.
3. No need to wipe prior to flashing! The ROM will automatically perform a factory data reset.
4. To learn more about FlashFire's capabilities on locked bootloader devices see here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...10&postcount=2

Credits:
@thisisapoorusernamechoice - for capturing the ota update and for his system dump.
@Chainfire
The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to muniz_ri For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift muniz_ri Ad-Free
22nd April 2015, 06:36 AM |#2  
Flag Chicopee
Thanks Meter: 1,937

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri

**You can begin the following process from any Build/ROM but you must already have Root Access**

**Attention** The following process is only for the I537 AT&T S4 "Active" variant. Use on any other device may result in a hardbrick!

Instructions:

First of all, thank you thank you thank you so much for this. Yeah I grabbed you the OTA's but thanks to you (and of course Chainfire & his FlashFire) we can go from KK to LP with root. And on day one of the OTA. Awesome. So down to business, and I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself or barking up the wrong tree, but hear me out on this one. @Joe-Tech was generous enough to port his regular S4 Google Play Edition (Pure Nexus) 4.4.4 Rom over to our phone. Could we repeat that for this OC6 build, using say, this rom as a base (or another if that turns out to be incompatible for whatever reason)? I doubt I have the expertise to pull that off but if it would help I'd get to work on another masterpatch and speaker phone fix
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thisisapoorusernamechoice For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thisisapoorusernamechoice Ad-Free
22nd April 2015, 07:30 AM |#3  
Flag Error 404 Location not found
Thanks Meter: 1,486

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisapoorusernamechoice

First of all, thank you thank you thank you so much for this. Yeah I grabbed you the OTA's but thanks to you (and of course Chainfire & his FlashFire) we can go from KK to LP with root. And on day one of the OTA. Awesome. So down to business, and I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself or barking up the wrong tree, but hear me out on this one. @Joe-Tech was generous enough to port his regular S4 Google Play Edition (Pure Nexus) 4.4.4 Rom over to our phone. Could we repeat that for this OC6 build, using say, this rom as a base (or another if that turns out to be incompatible for whatever reason)? I doubt I have the expertise to pull that off but if it would help I'd get to work on another masterpatch and speaker phone fix

I have an LP 5.0.1 base, ported using that ROM that you mentioned, but we all know safestrap is not compatible yet with 5.x and FlashFire can only flash TW base rom from my experience, and it still on beta phase, so let just cross fingers, i know something coming soon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe-Tech For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Joe-Tech Ad-Free
22nd April 2015, 07:37 AM |#4  
Flag Chicopee

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Tech

I have an LP 5.0.1 base, ported using that ROM that you mentioned, but we all know safestrap is not compatible yet with 5.x and FlashFire can only flash TW base rom from my experience, and it still on beta phase, so let just cross fingers, i know something coming soon

You're the man. Thanks for this info. I'm going to make a masterpatch, hopefully it'll be needed soon. Obviously I'll be happy to test anything if and whenever something like this does happen. If I can do anything at all to help that along just let me know. I was not aware FF could only flash TW base roms, shoot

Still loving your 4.4.4, I'm torn on taking the update if it means going back to touchwiz with no current AOSP option
22nd April 2015, 07:55 AM |#5  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

You're the man. Thanks for this info. I'm going to make a masterpatch, hopefully it'll be needed soon. Obviously I'll be happy to test anything if and whenever something like this does happen. If I can do anything at all to help that along just let me know. I was not aware FF could only flash TW base roms, shoot

Still loving your 4.4.4, I'm torn on taking the update if it means going back to touchwiz with no current AOSP option

Only way im thinking to boot the new LP ROM, is to use @muniz_ri method so we can upgrade and keep root. So now we going to be on the OC6 kernel and baseband, since the gpe can boot without flashing the kernel. Then we can flash the GPE 5.x ROM, either with safestrap or FlashFire, and we can also use Odin to flash the stock kernel/partitions. But too bad none of them worked for me after the upgrade, FF will sit there for ever try to get root permission.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe-Tech For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Joe-Tech Ad-Free
22nd April 2015, 08:46 AM |#6  
Flag Chicopee

More
Quote:

But too bad none of them worked for me after the upgrade, FF will sit there for ever try to get root permission.

Were other rooted apps able to get root permission?
22nd April 2015, 09:33 AM |#7  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Were other rooted apps able to get root permission?

Nope I even tried root checker, the su app is there on the app drawer, i was able to updated from the play store, but still wasn't working though.
22nd April 2015, 11:31 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
delete

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using XDA Free mobile app
22nd April 2015, 03:36 PM |#9  
Flag Chicopee

More
Quote:

Nope I even tried root checker, the su app is there on the app drawer, i was able to updated from the play store, but still wasn't working though.

Just had a thought, probably nothing. When doing the kitkat to lollipop update to keep root with flashfire, would it help anything to convert flashfire to a system app before doing the update? Sorry if this is a stupid question
22nd April 2015, 04:20 PM |#10  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Just had a thought, probably nothing. When doing the kitkat to lollipop update to keep root with flashfire, would it help anything to convert flashfire to a system app before doing the update? Sorry if this is a stupid question

I don't think it will make any difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe-Tech For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Joe-Tech Ad-Free
22nd April 2015, 04:30 PM |#11  
Washington, D.C.
Thanks Meter: 676

More
@muniz_ri: This is great, thanks for all your work on this. As I understand it, this method will update you to OC6 with root if the original firmware was already rooted. So my question is then, if a user has already taken the OC6 update and would like to root afterwards is it currently impossible? Is the only way to root OC6 to downgrade back to NE3, root, and then follow your instructions to update to OC6 with root?

I'm guessing a root vulnerability hasn't been found for the Samsung 5.0 firmware yet, but I just wanted to check.

Also, I posted this in the other thread, but has anybody actually downgraded from OC6 to NE3 successfully? I don't want to give people wrong information.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)