3,257 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,006

By muniz_ri, Senior Member on 22nd April 2015, 06:04 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd April 2015, 04:30 PM |#11  
Washington, D.C.
Thanks Meter: 676

More
@muniz_ri: This is great, thanks for all your work on this. As I understand it, this method will update you to OC6 with root if the original firmware was already rooted. So my question is then, if a user has already taken the OC6 update and would like to root afterwards is it currently impossible? Is the only way to root OC6 to downgrade back to NE3, root, and then follow your instructions to update to OC6 with root?

I'm guessing a root vulnerability hasn't been found for the Samsung 5.0 firmware yet, but I just wanted to check.

Also, I posted this in the other thread, but has anybody actually downgraded from OC6 to NE3 successfully? I don't want to give people wrong information.
22nd April 2015, 04:40 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Okay, I need some help here. I'm not quite understanding this:

1. Extract the I537_OC6_Stock_Rooted_Firmware.tar from the .rar and place it and the I537_OC6_Stock_Partitions.zip onto your device (use either internal or ext-sdcard).

Place what where? I used WinRAR to extract the file? What is the OC6 stock partition?
22nd April 2015, 04:48 PM |#13  
Flag Chicopee
Thanks Meter: 1,937

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456

1. Extract the I537_OC6_Stock_Rooted_Firmware.tar from the .rar and place it and the I537_OC6_Stock_Partitions.zip onto your device (use either internal or ext-sdcard).

Place what where? I used WinRAR to extract the file? What is the OC6 stock partition?

Extract the tar from the rar. Leave the zip as is. Copy the tar and the zip to your phone's internal memory or external SD card, somewhere it'll be easy for you to find
The Following User Says Thank You to thisisapoorusernamechoice For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thisisapoorusernamechoice Ad-Free
22nd April 2015, 04:49 PM |#14  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo7v

@muniz_ri: This is great, thanks for all your work on this. As I understand it, this method will update you to OC6 with root if the original firmware was already rooted. So my question is then, if a user has already taken the OC6 update and would like to root afterwards is it currently impossible? Is the only way to root OC6 to downgrade back to NE3, root, and then follow your instructions to update to OC6 with root?

I'm guessing a root vulnerability hasn't been found for the Samsung 5.0 firmware yet, but I just wanted to check.

Also, I posted this in the other thread, but has anybody actually downgraded from OC6 to NE3 successfully? I don't want to give people wrong information.

Correct, you will need to go back to NE3 then use towelroot before starting this process. And yes, the aboot qfuse counter determines whether or not you can downgrade. I checked it and it does allow for downgrading.
The Following User Says Thank You to muniz_ri For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift muniz_ri Ad-Free
22nd April 2015, 04:50 PM |#15  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456

If all of the above is beyond your level of understanding I strongly suggest you reconsider attempting to modify your phone.
22nd April 2015, 04:53 PM |#16  
Washington, D.C.

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri

Correct, you will need to go back to NE3 then use towelroot before starting this process. And yes, the aboot qfuse counter determines whether or not you can downgrade. I checked it and it does allow for downgrading.

Great thanks, one more question: Would it be possible to use something similar to W0lfdroids method of rooting? So on stock OC6, flash the NE3 kernel (since downgrading is possible), root with Towelroot, the flash back to the OC6 kernel. Just thinking about it I'm guessing it wouldn't work because you wouldn't be able to boot 5.0 with a 4.4.2 kernel, but I figured I'd ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to Devo7v For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Devo7v Ad-Free
22nd April 2015, 04:54 PM |#17  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Great thanks, one more question: Would it be possible to use something similar to W0lfdroids method of rooting? So on stock OC6, flash the NE3 kernel (since downgrading is possible), root with Towelroot, the flash back to the OC6 kernel. Just thinking about it I'm guessing it wouldn't work because you wouldn't be able to boot 5.0 with a 4.4.2 kernel, but I figured I'd ask.

Did not bother to try since it has not worked on any 5.0 release so far.
22nd April 2015, 05:36 PM |#18  
Washington, D.C.

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri

Did not bother to try since it has not worked on any 5.0 release so far.

Any chance I can implore you to try it since there will inevitably be a bunch of people already on the OC6 firmware asking how to root it and will get pissed when they find they have to wipe their phone? Or maybe you could just provide the stock OC6 kernel and I can convince @thisisapoorusernamechoice to give it a shot?
22nd April 2015, 05:38 PM |#19  
Flag Holly Springs, NC
Thanks Meter: 123

More
For what it's worth, just went through the process in post 1. Everything went fine, but after the Galaxy S4 boot screen, it goes black and stays. I can boot to download mode and stock recovery, so it's not a major issue, and likely something I did. I'll mess with it a bit more then Odin back to stock and start over.
22nd April 2015, 06:01 PM |#20  
Washington, D.C.

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylx

For what it's worth, just went through the process in post 1. Everything went fine, but after the Galaxy S4 boot screen, it goes black and stays. I can boot to download mode and stock recovery, so it's not a major issue, and likely something I did. I'll mess with it a bit more then Odin back to stock and start over.

A couple questions:
  1. What firmware were you coming from?
  2. How long did you wait?
  3. Did you have Xposed enabled?
22nd April 2015, 06:08 PM |#21  
Flag Holly Springs, NC
Thanks Meter: 123

More
Quote:

A couple questions:

1. What firmware were you coming from?
  2. How long did you wait?
  3. Did you have Xposed enabled?

Came from Joe-tech's SuperNexus.
Waited probably 20 minutes, at work so just have it lying on my desk.
Can't remember if I had xposed enabled or not.

Still playing with it at the moment, like I said, I can boot into recovery and bootloader (odin) mode without issue. Normal boot shows the S4Active logo for about 10 seconds then goes black. When the screen is black, phone is not detected by my Windows PC (adb, MTP, nothing)

Quite possibly it was just my combination of ROM, maybe xposed, etc.

Not in any rush to get it going, so if anyone wants me to try something I will. Otherwise, I'll Odin back to NH3, root and start again in about 30 minutes.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)