[Q] How Do You Root Samsung Galaxy S4 Active 5.0.1?

Search This thread

HVCFOG3Y34

May 12, 2015
How do you root a AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Active on 5.0.1 Lollipop android? I have been looking around for hours and couldn't find anything. Can you even do it on lollipop yet?

Last edited:
How do you root a AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Active on 5.0.1 Lollipop android? I have been looking around for hours and couldn't find anything. Can you even do it on lollipop yet?

You have to use Odin to flash back to kit Kat, root with towel root, and upgrade to lollipop with muniz_ri 's keep root update. Read the Firmware/Guide Repository stickied at the top of the General section

Ok im lost on how to do anything. Is is kind of hard to follow when they are all over the place with links. I dont even know how to use odin.
If you don't know how to use Odin I would not attempt to do this. Odin is a very powerful program that modifies low level functions. You risk permanently bricking your phone if you mess something up.

All the instructions are there in the sticky if you still want to try, you just need to follow the steps exactly as they are written in the i537 Firmware Guide. The pictures show you where to place files in Odin.

HVCFOG3Y34

May 12, 2015
It's linked to in the firmware thread

OK well then i need help! I need someone to tell me what to download, when to download, when to install it, and how to install it. Because my friend and i both looked at the posts and couldn't tell what to do. Right now my phone is soft bricked (idk if that's what its actually called) I cant boot up, i'm stuck at the recovery/ download mode. I don't know what i'm doing i'm just trying to get my phone working again. Now i wont be able to respond to this post until at least 3pm EST 5/13/2015 because i have no other way to check it until then. Sorry if i'm coming across angry, that's because i am but only because i'm staying up past midnight to work on something i have no idea how to do. Thank you for anyone who will help me.

OK well then i need help! I need someone to tell me what to download, when to download, when to install it, and how to install it. Because my friend and i both looked at the posts and couldn't tell what to do. Right now my phone is soft bricked (idk if that's what its actually called) I cant boot up, i'm stuck at the recovery/ download mode. I don't know what i'm doing i'm just trying to get my phone working again. Now i wont be able to respond to this post until at least 3pm EST 5/13/2015 because i have no other way to check it until then. Sorry if i'm coming across angry, that's because i am but only because i'm staying up past midnight to work on something i have no idea how to do. Thank you for anyone who will help me.

Download link extract all four files in the zip to your desktop. Download Odin attached to this post. Also extract that folder to your desktop. Run Odin by double clicking the .exe file. Power your phone on in download mode (shut it down, then power it on holding down power and vol-) and plug it in USB to your PC. Now select all four of those files you downloaded; the names should be intuitive, but if not, it should look exactly like the following picture:
W1lgXZ0.png
Odin takes a long while, let it do its thing, there will be at least one or two automatic reboots and a boot into recovery, all automated so just put the damn thing down and let it run its course. After a while it'll eventually boot into the setup wizard for kitkat, as if the phone is brand new. Great, it's now on kitkat, root it with towelroot, which is a one-click root application for Samsung devices. Install and run SuperSU from the play store. Finally you are ready to upgrade to lollipop while keeping root

Last edited:

HVCFOG3Y34

May 12, 2015
Just want to give you an update you on what I did. I did what you told me to do exactly and the first time I did it, it did its whole process but when it rebooted it kept flashing the screen on and off on a one second interval. So I restarted, and then it got stuck in the "Samsung Galaxy S4 Active" Boot screen for an hour. Im going to retry a third time to see if it works.

HVCFOG3Y34

May 12, 2015
Ok so i did it for a third time and it worked. I guess it just had to keep resetting or something? Thankyou, that was very much needed.

Faramire

Nov 10, 2013
Download link extract all four files in the zip to your desktop. Download Odin attached to this post. Also extract that folder to your desktop. Run Odin by double clicking the .exe file. Power your phone on in download mode (shut it down, then power it on holding down power and vol-) and plug it in USB to your PC. Now select all four of those files you downloaded; the names should be intuitive, but if not, it should look exactly like the following picture:
W1lgXZ0.png
Odin takes a long while, let it do its thing, there will be at least one or two automatic reboots and a boot into recovery, all automated so just put the damn thing down and let it run its course. After a while it'll eventually boot into the setup wizard for kitkat, as if the phone is brand new. Great, it's now on kitkat, root it with towelroot, which is a one-click root application for Samsung devices. Install and run SuperSU from the play store. Finally you are ready to upgrade to lollipop while keeping root

Hi,

I just did this method to get from 5.0.1 to 4.4.2 kitkat, I used all those files in your links.

My only question when going with Towelroot is, I need to either hide root from apps, or, unroot, after I convert an app to a system app.

My goal is simply to convert an app to system app. So I want to: root device, convert to system app using Link2SD(1 click conversion), then unroot. So, i cannot flash back to an unrooted version, as I believe that will rid the device of the newly converted system app.

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

W1lgXZ0.png
    Or use the new doedexrd rom
    Pre rooted
    Ok im lost on how to do anything. Is is kind of hard to follow when they are all over the place with links. I dont even know how to use odin.
    If you don't know how to use Odin I would not attempt to do this. Odin is a very powerful program that modifies low level functions. You risk permanently bricking your phone if you mess something up.

All the instructions are there in the sticky if you still want to try, you just need to follow the steps exactly as they are written in the i537 Firmware Guide. The pictures show you where to place files in Odin.