FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to fix Galaxy S4 "Sim card removed" error

140 posts
Thanks Meter: 64

By Sean89us, Senior Member on 20th May 2015, 06:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm sure plenty of you have had the dreaded "Sim card removed" error (as shown in the attached image) on your S4. I started getting this message mere months after purchasing my secondhand AT&T S4 (no warranty). But fear not, with about 20 minutes of your time and less than a dollar worth of parts, you can fix it!

(1st attached pic)

Why Does This Happen?

This error is usually due to a faulty connection between the motherboard and the SIM / MicroSD card tray. Likely it is due to a bad solder job on that connector.

Does a new SIM Tray fix it?
Extremely unlikely. Purchasing a new SIM tray will likely be wasted money. (EDIT: A new motherboard may fix the issue, and several people have had success with a new SIM tray)

How do I fix it already??

This is what you'll need:
Your S4
A micro Philips-head screwdriver
Scissors
A foam earplug (or something of similar texture)

Step 1: Disassemble your phone. Pull off the back cover, remove the battery and cards, then unscrew all 9 of the micro Philips screws. Then, take your fingernail and pry off the bezel from the rest of the phone, and slowly work your nail around the bezel until it pops off. (Don't force it!)

(Attached images 2, 3, and 4)

Step 2: Use your scissors or a razor blade to cut a section off of the foam earplug which is about the width of two dimes. I also cut a 1/4 segment out of mine so you don't see it sticking out when you put the bezel back together, but you don't absolutely need to do that.

(Attached images 5 & 6)

Step 3: Press down on the connector for the SIM / SD Card Tray until it "clicks" into place. (It may not click if it is still somewhat in place) This is the connector which has a bad connection.

(Attached image 7)

Step 4: Place your piece of foam on top of the connector in a way that it is right beside but not overlapping the camera (as pictured)

(Attached image 8)

Step 5: Replace your back cover, making sure not to move the foam you just installed, press down on it in multiple locations until it pops back together all around, and screw it back down. Note: if the bezel appears to be bulging out, your foam is too thick! This won't cause any problems, but it will be a noticeable bulge on your phone.

(Attached images 9 & 10)

Step 6: Replace your back cover and enjoy! Note that if you continue to receive the error, you may need either a thicker piece of foam, or you may need to reposition the foam, or even just press down on the connector a bit more before installing the foam.

Thanks to the folks over at Android Central in the thread entitled: Galaxy S4: Major problem - SIM card not detected for info on how to fix!

After applying this fix (took me three times to get it right) I have not seen the SIM card removed error in almost two months!

Post your success stories!

EDIT: A year after I posted this, and people are still using this thread to iron out their issues. I'm glad I could start up a conversation about this problem, with many good suggestions as to possible fixes. I don't use my S4 anymore, but it makes for a great backup phone!

Anyway, I just wanted to let anybody who is looking for the answer to this problem know that my fix may or may not work for you. It worked in my case, but several commenters have noted that the problem has remained in their situation. I would like to point out a few helpful comments and possible fixes right here so you guys don't have to go searching through pages of comments to find different solutions.

Best solution by far is by @Gonemad to re-flow the solder to that connector and to the NFC chip using a heat gun. See post #98 on page 10 and Post 114 on page 12, with a guide on post 122, page 13.

A replacement motherboard may fix the issue as well, but that's assuming you're getting a new one and not a used one. With used, the replacement board may do the same thing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	82864
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	3322891   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	80170
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	3322892   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	79534
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	3322893   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	78718
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	3322894   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	81304
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	3322897   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	83008
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	3322898   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	90742
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	3322899   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	96536
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	3322900   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	91412
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	3322901   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	85550
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	3322902  
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Sean89us For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sean89us Ad-Free

21st May 2015, 03:00 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
many of us have shimmed the connector 1000 different ways and still get the error. oddly enough, for me the only thing that has reduced errors was removing my sd card.
21st May 2015, 02:53 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Gautier, MS

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iateshaggy

many of us have shimmed the connector 1000 different ways and still get the error. oddly enough, for me the only thing that has reduced errors was removing my sd card.

That's interesting, and a shame. There's not enough room on my phone for all my stuff, I need that extra 32gb!
24th May 2015, 02:08 AM |#4  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 4

More
"Does a new SIM Tray fix it?
Extremely unlikely. Purchasing a new SIM tray or even a new motherboard will be wasted money."

It did in my case. I got a sim/sd card tray from a Verizon S4, put it in my AT&T S4 and it worked great!
The Following User Says Thank You to Benovite For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Benovite Ad-Free
7th June 2015, 09:42 PM |#5  
Flag Calgary, AB
Thanks Meter: 39

More
This problem is extremely annoying. Purchased a new tray too, and for a couple of days thought the problem is fixed. Nope. 5 days later same stupid message. I had already tried putting more support on the connector which did not fix the problem. They could at least make a cancel button on it instead of just "reboot". Will try without sd card. Apparently this happens on ALL high-end samsung phones. I am adding crapsung to the "never again" list (in addition to LG now).

If removing sd card doesn't fix it then it will either be new mainboard (they go for around $100 CAD shipped) or a new phone if I have the money. Nexus 6 looks good now. Don't buy crappy Korean brands. Even Chinese brands seem more reliable.
The Following User Says Thank You to m00nman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift m00nman Ad-Free
11th June 2015, 05:14 AM |#6  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Question: Since you say that you've already replaced the sd/sim tray and the problem returned, did you try putting another sim card in there to make sure that it's not the sim card that's the issue?
11th June 2015, 11:49 AM |#7  
Flag Calgary, AB

More
Yes, new sim did not solve it. Now i am actually trying earplug thing. So far so good (2 days), but as with any other method the message is expected to pop up again. I am thinking i did try to add support before, but only for the connector part. Earplug will press on all the components around the connector and the connector itself. Will see. I did cut out a thicker piece than in the OP, and made a cut on the camera side instead of oppoate (like in OP).

Buyimg new mainboard seems like a waste of money now too. Since so many devices have this problem chances are another mainboard will be the same.

Edit: with or without sd card - same thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to m00nman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift m00nman Ad-Free
11th June 2015, 10:36 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
It's known that the IMEI numbers with the last 6 digits in this range: 000000 - 560000 have been known to have this issue. Mine was in that range and had the issue. I think the mainboards outside this range are fine.
11th June 2015, 11:04 PM |#9  
Flag Calgary, AB

More
Mine is not in that range.
13th June 2015, 09:28 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thanks a lot
16th June 2015, 04:03 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Gautier, MS

More
It took me quite a few tries with the earplug foam to get it right. Finding the correct thickness and shape was the biggest thing. Eventually I got it right and I haven't had the issue return even once since. I'm glad some of you were able to get your phones to work by just swapping the SIM tray, that's pretty easy to do. I don't think I would even consider swapping the motherboard on a 2 year old phone, might as well just get a new phone at that point.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)