Thanks Meter: 71

By Sean89us, Senior Member on 20th May 2015, 05:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th June 2015, 03:03 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Gautier, MS

More
It took me quite a few tries with the earplug foam to get it right. Finding the correct thickness and shape was the biggest thing. Eventually I got it right and I haven't had the issue return even once since. I'm glad some of you were able to get your phones to work by just swapping the SIM tray, that's pretty easy to do. I don't think I would even consider swapping the motherboard on a 2 year old phone, might as well just get a new phone at that point.

17th June 2015, 04:22 AM |#12  
Flag Big D
Thanks Meter: 237

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean89us

It took me quite a few tries with the earplug foam to get it right. Finding the correct thickness and shape was the biggest thing. Eventually I got it right and I haven't had the issue return even once since. I'm glad some of you were able to get your phones to work by just swapping the SIM tray, that's pretty easy to do. I don't think I would even consider swapping the motherboard on a 2 year old phone, might as well just get a new phone at that point.

Good to hear that this is working for some users. I just went with the M9 about a week ago and am going to give my mother my S4. She wouldn't have any idea how to handle any sim errors so when I get some time, I'll be buying an earplug or two.
19th June 2015, 07:06 AM |#13  
Flag Calgary, AB
Thanks Meter: 39

More
It has been 9 days and the error hasn't returned. Today i put in a thiner peice to get rid of the bulge on the back. Will see how that holds up, but so far so good. Thanks to the O.P.

As for the mainboard - I never loxk myself into a contract with a discounted phone, not that Wind Mobile Canada has an option for it. So i paid almost 600 CAD for this puppy and expected it to last. For me $100 is not bad for a fix compared to at least $600 for a new phone. Only if it was for sure, but is seems like a gamble to buy a new board. BTW my phone was locked to rogers so I had to unlock it and enable AWS band.
The Following User Says Thank You to m00nman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift m00nman Ad-Free
23rd June 2015, 03:18 AM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
I would get(have tried other phones) but for all its bad the S4 is hands down the most durable and usable phone I have ever owned. I like my nexus 5, but it is a very fragile unit, and on its second screen replacement due to minor drops that the S4 takes with aplomb. I like the phone so much I have bought a used one off ebay just in case this one ever fails. MHO
The Following User Says Thank You to fargonaz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fargonaz Ad-Free
23rd June 2015, 05:38 PM |#15  
OP Senior Member
Flag Gautier, MS

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fargonaz

I would get(have tried other phones) but for all its bad the S4 is hands down the most durable and usable phone I have ever owned. I like my nexus 5, but it is a very fragile unit, and on its second screen replacement due to minor drops that the S4 takes with aplomb. I like the phone so much I have bought a used one off ebay just in case this one ever fails. MHO

I'm right there with you. I still love my S4, despite the SIM error and somewhat slow updates from Samsung / ATT. It's getting older but my phone is still very fast, has a beautiful 1080P AMOLED screen, takes awesome pictures, and now it's even running Lollipop! The only thing that might convince me to switch phones anytime soon is if the 2015 Nexus 5 refresh has a 5" - 5.2" screen (5.5"+ is just too big!), USB Type-C and the specs blow me away. Since that probably won't happen, it looks like I'll be using my S4 for a few more years.
16th July 2015, 04:53 PM |#16  
Flag Maringá
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I don't have these earplugs foams at home.. Which other material can I use for that?
16th July 2015, 07:19 PM |#17  
Flag Calgary, AB
Thanks Meter: 39

More
I can't say anything else will be the same material. Just buy earplugs at a dollar store or something. They are cheap.
21st July 2015, 03:56 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Mine had gotten really bad, to where it was giving the "sim error" message a good six or eight times a day. Did the earplug thing...didn`t fix squat. I took a narrow strip of a business card and "shimmed" the sim card in it`s slot (like many others have), but I made my shim extra long and folded it over a few times on top of the sim card receptacle as well. Been two days and so far so good. We`ll see how it holds up.

I had actually contacted Samsung about the problem and they claimed they had no knowledge of it`s occurrence. I emailed back and they said "we really have no idea what`s causing it. Sorry." I would call it a design flaw as every single person I know personally with an S4 has the problem, and there are hundreds upon hundreds of tales on the ol` internet about it, and even Samsung can`t fix it.
24th August 2015, 05:14 PM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I've used this solution after my s4 gave the "sim card removed" error 5 times this morning. I used a piece of power sponge i.s.o. an earplug. Since then no error. If error occurs i'll respond again.
Thanx Sean.
28th August 2015, 08:55 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
I was having this problem. I did this fix but just used some folded up plastic wrap. Hasn't happened again yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Free mobile app
6th September 2015, 01:53 PM |#21  
Flag Throne
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean89us

I'm sure plenty of you have had the dreaded "Sim card removed" error (as shown in the attached image) on your S4. I started getting this message mere months after purchasing my secondhand AT&T S4 (no warranty). But fear not, with about 20 minutes of your time and less than a dollar worth of parts, you can fix it!

Post your success stories!

in my case a little pressure on the sim slot (with the sim inserted) did the trick..
thank you for your post
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)