FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[How-To] Root I337_NJ4 - 4.4.4 (11/13/2014)

3,258 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,003

By muniz_ri, Senior Member on 14th November 2014, 04:41 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
1. Take the NJ4 OTA update.
2. Download and install Towelroot-v3.apk(this version does not require internet access).
3. Place your phone into "Download Mode" (press and hold the "Home", "Volume Down", and "Power" keys until the phone powers on and displays warning screen, then press "Volume Up" key) and flash the I337_NC1_Stock_Kernel using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
4. Open the Towelroot app from your app drawer and press "Make it Rain" to root your device.
5. Power off then boot into "Download Mode" again and flash the I337_NJ4_Stock_Kernel also in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
6. Install SuperSU to manage root access. Done!

Troubleshooting:
1. Should the NJ4 ota update fail consider flashing back to stock NB1 using either file in this thread: I337UCUFNB1 4.4 Stock Odin Tars, then take the NJ4 ota update. Or, place the I337_NB1_to_NJ4_OTA_Update.zip onto your ext-sdcard and sideload from stock recovery. Once updated to NJ4 continue from Step 2 above.
2. When flashing the kernels the most common cause of an Odin flash failure is a faulty usb port or cable. Please check before reporting a failure!

Notes:
1. After flashing the NC1 kernel your phone may run a little wonky, e.g. extreme lag, no wifi, etc., and towelroot may not root on the first try. If that happens reboot and try towelroot once again. Once rooted and after flashing the NJ4 kernel your phone will again run like a champ!
2. Neither User Data nor knox warranty flag will be affected by following the above process.
3. For a great Noob FAQ see this Post thanks to @gonenorsk!

Alternative Safestrap Method (Updated 3/29/2015 - Odin no longer required):
1. Place the I337UCUFNJ4_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM onto your ext-sdcard.
2. From Safestrap recovery press "Backup" and backup your User Data.
3. Once complete, from the main menu press "Wipe" then "Advanced Wipe" and wipe everything but your ext-sdcard.
4. From the main menu press "Install," then select and install the I337UCUFNJ4_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.
5. Once complete, press "Restore" and restore your User Data.
6. From the main menu press "Reboot," then "System." Done!

Notes:
1. The above process will not affect your User Data or knox warranty flag.
2. This process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, Stock Recovery, and Bootloader to NJ4 (BusyBox is also pre-installed).
3. The User Data "Backup" and "Restore" steps in the above instructions are not mandatory but will greatly reduce your device's set-up time. All currently installed non-system apps and settings will be automatically restored.

Credits:
@benwaffle for his flashboot script(built into the ROM) allowing the flashing of kernels via Safestrap.
The Following 84 Users Say Thank You to muniz_ri For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift muniz_ri Ad-Free

14th November 2014, 06:03 AM |#2  
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Flag Fog City
Thanks Meter: 6,203

Donate to Me
More
@muniz_ri
U done it again bud..... Amazing

The Following User Says Thank You to ted77usa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ted77usa Ad-Free
14th November 2014, 06:24 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
@muniz_ri
Well that was fast! Good job buddy, keep up the good work!
The Following User Says Thank You to unforsaken For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift unforsaken Ad-Free
14th November 2014, 11:51 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri

I337UCUFNJ4_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip(Uploading.....

Still uploading?
14th November 2014, 12:49 PM |#5  
Flag Vellore
Thanks Meter: 147

More
I337UCUFNJ4 Please Upload Pure OTA File .. I Need To Update .. Please Anyone Help Me Without Rooting OTA .. I Need Help Me
14th November 2014, 01:03 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Used Safestrap method and it worked flawlessly. Up and running like a champ. Thank you so much!
The Following User Says Thank You to racerx002 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift racerx002 Ad-Free
14th November 2014, 01:48 PM |#7  
Flag Vellore
Thanks Meter: 147

More
Thumbs up Please Help Me
Respected Sir,

Please Upload I337UCUFNJ4 OTA File . I Want To Update . Please Upload File For Upload. Please Anyone Upload OTA Update The File Sir.. From NI1 To NJ4.. OTA File
14th November 2014, 01:49 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3,731

More
@muniz_ri could you pull the Modem, I can package it up and put it in my modem thread? With full credit to you. Let me know here or via PM. Thanks
14th November 2014, 02:38 PM |#9  
Chisinau
Thanks Meter: 24

More
WiFi Tethering
Thanks guys for the root instructions but WiFi tethering will work or we should wait for NJ4 Modules ?
14th November 2014, 03:59 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5,003

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRatt

@muniz_ri could you pull the Modem, I can package it up and put it in my modem thread? With full credit to you. Let me know here or via PM. Thanks

The modem img is in the rom zip.
14th November 2014, 04:00 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3,731

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri

The modem img is in the rom zip.

Cool... Thanks. Trying to download now. Thanks again for ALL you do
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RockRatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RockRatt Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread