Galaxy S4 (sgh-1337M) soft bricked, help required

Search This thread

DinkyP

Jul 5, 2018
So I am fairly technically savvy, but I'm very new to this aspect, and have been browsing this forum, reddit, and every other site looking for any possible solution. I'll try to be as detailed as possible:

My girlfriend's old Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-1337M) soft bricked last year. It got stuck in a boot loop and when she removed the battery, she got the "Firmware error: select recover in Kies" message. She has since gotten a new phone, but I want to use this old phone as a game/music player, since it has better storage and battery life than my phone. It was originally a Koodo phone.

I have Odin v3.12, and the info of the firmware I am trying to flash (from their site):
Download I337MVLUGOH1 OYAGOH1 5.0.1Repair Firmware 4Files ( KDO Canada (Koodo Mobile) )

Download Samsung Repair Firmware Full Flash
Model: Samsung GALAXY S4 SGH-I337M
OS Version: Android Lollipop V5.0.1
PDA/AP Version: I337MVLUGOH1
CSC Version: I337MOYAGOH1
MODEM/CP Version: I337MVLUGOH1
Region: KDO Canada (Koodo Mobile)
Security Patch Level: N/A

--------------------
Content Of File:
AP_I337MVLUGOH1_CL4508315_QB6089219_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
BL_I337MVLUGOH1_CL4508315_QB6089219_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
CP_I337MVLUGOH1_CL4508315_QB6089219_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
CSC_OYA_I337MOYAGOH1_CL4508315_QB6089219_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
info.txt
JFLTE_CAN_OPEN.pit

Odin does recognize the phone, I have it plugged in to a usb port on the back of my tower, and the flash gives me the green PASS! prompt when I flash the 4 files (I tried the .pit file as well, same end result). I have tried with the reboot and f. reset time options checked, I have tried with the re-partition option checked, I have tried taking the battery out after booting up the phone and running Odin without the battery in, I have let the battery charge to 100%, I have let the battery fully drain. I have tried Sasktel and Koodo firmware, I have tried the 4-5 CP/AP/BL/CSC files, and I have tried the single AP file.

No matter what I have tried, the phone will not boot past the Samsung Galaxy S4 screen. It either hangs on that screen, or goes back into the boot loop. The first time I tried this, I tried it with the single AP file for Sasktel, and it actually worked for about an hour before powering down by itself and going back to the boot loop. Since then, I have purchased a new battery (same model number, identical to the one it replaced), but I am making less progress. On occasion, the phone will actually get past the Samsung logo and open up the recovery options, but that will either pause and reset at the android icon (the progress bar with the android mascot with his belly open) or will skip directly to the mascot on its back, open the recovery menu, then immediately reboot.

Sometimes, now, when the phone is charging, it just shows the grey battery icon, but will not show the green progress bar or the little sparkles to indicate it is charging. Sometimes when it does this, the sparkles and bar will appear, but will immediately freeze and the phone will reboot.

Is there something painfully obvious that I am missing? Am I using a bad version, am I skipping an important step, or is my phone beyond my repair? If anyone has any suggestions for the exact steps and the exact firmware I should be using, I'd greatly appreciate the help. I'm about ready to just throw the damned thing in the garbage and cut my losses. As I said before, I don't want the phone to really be used as a phone, I just want it to play a few games and listen to music without cutting into my phone's terrible battery life.

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Use Odin 3.07, do not check anything except f reset time. Flash in the AP box, download the latest stock ROM from sammobile.com. Unzip the sammobile file once to create a tar.md5 file. Do not unzip any further before flashing. When you see the word "reset" in the status window, remove the USB cable from the phone, remove the battery, replace the battery, boot directly into recovery mode, perform a factory wipe/reset, and reboot.

The sgh-i337m is the same model used by all Canadian carriers so it doesn't matter which carrier firmware is flashed.

DinkyP

Jul 5, 2018
Use Odin 3.07, do not check anything except f reset time. Flash in the AP box, download the latest stock ROM from sammobile.com. Unzip the sammobile file once to create a tar.md5 file. Do not unzip any further before flashing. When you see the word "reset" in the status window, remove the USB cable from the phone, remove the battery, replace the battery, boot directly into recovery mode, perform a factory wipe/reset, and reboot.

The sgh-i337m is the same model used by all Canadian carriers so it doesn't matter which carrier firmware is flashed.

I'm using Odin 3.07 now, I have unchecked everything but f reset time, I flashed the most recent stock rom from sammobile in the "PDA" section. Odin gets to this point:

<ID:0/012> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I337MVLSGQB1_I337MOYAGQB1_I337MVLSGQB1_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/012> Odin v.3 engine (ID:12)..
<ID:0/012> File analysis..
<ID:0/012> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/012> Initialzation..
<ID:0/012> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/012> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/012> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/012> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/012> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/012> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/012> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/012> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/012> tz.mbn
<ID:0/012> boot.img
<ID:0/012> recovery.img
<ID:0/012> system.img.ext4

and now the top left corner of my phone says:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-1337M
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0x0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0
CSB-CONFIG-LSB: 0x30
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable
eMAC BURST MODE enabled
START [224, 1440]
BAR [248, 1440]

Set Warranty Bit: system

And Odin has been stalled out for about half an hour on this. The USB cable I am using for this one is brand new out of package. The USB 2.0 port I am using is one of the two closest to the top of the back of the tower.

Edit: Same ****. Recovery Booting... shows in the top left corner, but the phone stalls on that screen and does not continue.

Last edited:

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
When flashing with Odin, the phone will have a blue progress bar. It may look like it stalled because the system image take time to copy over and install.

Right after flashing, you pulled the battery and used the button combination to try and recovery? To get into recovery, you release the power button once the phone vibrates and then keep holding volume up and home.

DinkyP

Jul 5, 2018
When flashing with Odin, the phone will have a blue progress bar. It may look like it stalled because the system image take time to copy over and install.

Right after flashing, you pulled the battery and used the button combination to try and recovery? To get into recovery, you release the power button once the phone vibrates and then keep holding volume up and home.

I pulled that battery, replaced it, pressed and held volume up+power until the phone started loading, held volume up until the blue "recovery booting" prompt showed, but the phone either hangs on that screen until the battery dies, or goes into a bootloop regardless.

Edit: Now when I try to get into the boot menu, the Samsung logo screen has a bunch of grey horizontal lines going across it. I think the phone may just be totally bricked.

Last edited:

DinkyP

Jul 5, 2018
Very strange. Try flashing TWRP using Odin 3.07 in the PDA slot. You'll need to uncheck everything, and do the battery pull after seeing "reset" in the status window. Replace the battery and try to boot into recovery.

https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxys4internationalqualcomm.html

Downloaded the latest .img.tar file from the link you posted, TWRP v3.2.2, flashed it on the PDA slot, unplugged my phone ,replaced the battery, booted up with safe mode keys, same thing except now under the blue "recovery" prompt, there is a yellow line that says "Set Warranty Bit: recovery", and it's hanging on this screen again. Odin says the file flashed though, so that's maybe a good sign.

Edit: and now it's boot looping but it keeps trying to open up recovery with or without me holding home+volume up, and the new corner prompt says "recovery booting" then "recovery is not something enforcing" ( can't read the word before enforcing, it is too small) and then "set warranty bit: recovery" below that. Also, the battery is now incredibly hot so I took it out completely and am going to just leave it out until your response, don't want to risk a Hooli.

Last edited:

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
It says that about the warranty bit because you flashed a custom recovery.

The only thing left to try world be flashing the stock ROM with a pit file.

DinkyP

Jul 5, 2018
It says that about the warranty bit because you flashed a custom recovery.

The only thing left to try world be flashing the stock ROM with a pit file.

Alright, so, as I said in my first post, the files that I originally did try to flash contained a pit file, how exactly should I set that up to maximize my chances of it actually working? Options checked, unchecked, battery, etc.

If it doesn't work, thanks for at least offering to help. The thing might just be bricked. I'll follow up either way to let you know the result.

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Did you check re-partition and flash as a single file in PDA?

If that doesn't work, you may have to go to a cell shop and have them flash it via JTAG.

DinkyP

Jul 5, 2018
Did you check re-partition and flash as a single file in PDA?

If that doesn't work, you may have to go to a cell shop and have them flash it via JTAG.

I tried every possible variable since I last updated here. Different USB slots, different cables, different versions of Odin and the firmware. It's still booting and still allows me into download mode, and Odin still recognizes it, but it's still just stuck in the boot loop. I'm going to have to take it to a repair shop.

Thanks for all your help, but it looks like this one is beyond us. There is an electronics repair store about 10 minutes walking from me, so I guess I'll be making that trip here soon. Didn't want to spend too much money fixing it up, so if they can't do it on the cheap, I'm gonna just toss the thing and cut my losses.

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I tried every possible variable since I last updated here. Different USB slots, different cables, different versions of Odin and the firmware. It's still booting and still allows me into download mode, and Odin still recognizes it, but it's still just stuck in the boot loop. I'm going to have to take it to a repair shop.

Thanks for all your help, but it looks like this one is beyond us. There is an electronics repair store about 10 minutes walking from me, so I guess I'll be making that trip here soon. Didn't want to spend too much money fixing it up, so if they can't do it on the cheap, I'm gonna just toss the thing and cut my losses.

Sounds like the internal memory chip may be damaged.

Don't toss it, use it for a trade in when companies like Bell or Koodo offer a credit towards a new phone. This is what I did with a few phones that wouldn't even turn on.