[Q&A] [ROOT] Root Samsung Galaxy S4 with Motochopper

Search This thread
Q

QA Bot

Q&A for [ROOT] Root Samsung Galaxy S4 with Motochopper

Some developers prefer that questions remain separate from their main development thread to help keep things organized. Placing your question within this thread will increase its chances of being answered by a member of the community or by the developer. Thanks for understanding and for helping to keep XDA neat and tidy! :smile:

bOrNnBrEdNeUg

Oct 13, 2014
Samsung KIES

I've never seen Kies used to restore a soft bricked phone unless it was from a failed flash in kies

I, as well as my neighbor have actually used Kies multiple times to bring back the stock ROM on our Samsung S2, S3, and i would assume the S4 as well.. All we did was procure the stock ROM and then use Kies to install it. That being said, as far as i know, you MUST link that particular phone to Kies, BEFORE you actually go through with the Root process. If you do not, there will be NO WAY for Kies to pick up your phone ie: model etc and thus most likely will not allow you to use it in Stock Recovery!!! Youve been warned lol ☺

Also, many, and i do mean many peeps have asked whether or not this method of root (motochopper) will work with android 4.4.2, yet no one has gotten a response...At least not in the 2yrs and 9 pages back that i checked... Could you PLEASE inform us, and maybe shoot me an email as to whether or not it will work...Until then, i am slightly worried it will not and wanted clarification!! Thank you so much!

Last edited:

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I, as well as my neighbor have actually used Kies multiple times to bring back the stock ROM on our Samsung S2, S3, and i would assume the S4 as well.. All we did was procure the stock ROM and then use Kies to install it. That being said, as far as i know, you MUST link that particular phone to Kies, BEFORE you actually go through with the Root process. If you do not, there will be NO WAY for Kies to pick up your phone ie: model etc and thus most likely will not allow you to use it in Stock Recovery!!! Youve been warned lol ☺

Also, many, and i do mean many peeps have asked whether or not this method of root (motochopper) will work with android 4.4.2, yet no one has gotten a response...At least not in the 2yrs and 9 pages back that i checked... Could you PLEASE inform us, and maybe shoot me an email as to whether or not it will work...Until then, i am slightly worried it will not and wanted clarification!! Thank you so much!

This root method will not work on 4.4.2. Use towelroot on the nc1 firmware.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

seiftaylor

Oct 17, 2014
Rooting Android using Motochopper on MAC?

I am carefully following all instructions along the way, until I download Motochopper.
It is a windows file, and I can't open it (.exe) on my MacBook Pro. Is there any intention to produce this program for us Applers?
I apologize for bad form, posting in the wrong place, etc. This is my first attempt at communicating in this venue.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Just read further down:

"This root method will not work on 4.4.2. "

So sorry for wasting your time! Thanks anyway.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

This root method will not work on 4.4.2. Use towelroot on the nc1 firmware.

As you might guess, I have Samsung Galaxy S4 with 4.4.2. I tried to download Motochopper onto my MacBook Pro only to discover that the zip file carried a windows program! (Is that true of all zip files? I have been switched to Mac for so long, I can't remember.)

I came here to get help, or maybe find Motochopper that was designed for Mac use. Then I saw your comment above. Two questions:

1. What does this mean? "Use towelroot on the nc1 firmware" Please illuminate and elucidate and HELP!

2. Can this be done via Mac?? :fingers-crossed:

Thank you for your kindness, from someone whose technology vastly outruns her ability to rein it in.

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I am carefully following all instructions along the way, until I download Motochopper.
It is a windows file, and I can't open it (.exe) on my MacBook Pro. Is there any intention to produce this program for us Applers?
I apologize for bad form, posting in the wrong place, etc. This is my first attempt at communicating in this venue.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Just read further down:

"This root method will not work on 4.4.2. "

So sorry for wasting your time! Thanks anyway.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

As you might guess, I have Samsung Galaxy S4 with 4.4.2. I tried to download Motochopper onto my MacBook Pro only to discover that the zip file carried a windows program! (Is that true of all zip files? I have been switched to Mac for so long, I can't remember.)

I came here to get help, or maybe find Motochopper that was designed for Mac use. Then I saw your comment above. Two questions:

1. What does this mean? "Use towelroot on the nc1 firmware" Please illuminate and elucidate and HELP!

2. Can this be done via Mac?? :fingers-crossed:

Thank you for your kindness, from someone whose technology vastly outruns her ability to rein it in.

Just run this from your phone https://towelroot.com/

jaket1000

Oct 23, 2014
Hey can't get this to work

I installed the latest version and re-installed

I have the T-moblie 4.4.4 version also my pc and my OS is Windows 8.1 64 bit

kzmaxie

Dec 11, 2014
Mottochopper

Mottochopper successful root....now this noob is stuck in downloading mode with a green android and the words " do not turn off target!!"
What should i do?

StoneyJSG

Jul 28, 2014
Mottochopper successful root....now this noob is stuck in downloading mode with a green android and the words " do not turn off target!!"
What should i do?

Moto chopper is obsolete now due to towelroot. Is you phone stuck in download mode? Try turning it off by holding the power for a few seconds. If that doesn't work pull the battery.

StoneyJSG

Jul 28, 2014
Yeah I was in download mode. I'm just trying to get a recovery to work. Should of used towel

Get on YouTube and search for "galaxy s4 loki ZedoMax". Watch his video and follow the directions to a T and you should have ShabbyPenguin's Clockwork mod recovery. I got it to work. You have to be on the MDL firmware, which is what you have if you used moto chopper to root.

GeneralBrickwall

Dec 17, 2014
trouble with motochopper and rooting

So I've used a couple good walkthroughs to root my Att galaxy s4.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2297033
and one other guide, from XDA (can't find the link)
both recommend using motochopper to root my phone and every time i have tried i receive the same message

{*}waiting for device
*daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037
*daemon started successfully

now in all the tutorial videos, the process takes 30 seconds to initiate and about 1-2 minutes to finish the process. My screen shows the above message and I've let it run all night. Any help on how to root my phone so i can remove my att bloatware and put on a custom system would be great

Steps I've taken so far and phone info
* searched multiple forums to find how to address this rooting issue (no success)
* phone has been unlocked from att themselves (phone is also paid off, contract is expired)
*developer options enabled
*USB debugging checked (enabled)
* updated drivers from samsung
*used keis to verify updates and to make sure everything is updated for rooting
*factory reset on phone with sim card removed

Phone info (all that I understand that is relevant)
sgh-l337
droid version 4.4.4
NJ4

thank you ahead of time for the help

Last edited:

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
So I've used a couple good walk throughs to root my Att galaxy s4.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2297033
and one other guide, from XDA (can't find the link)
both recommend using motochopper to root my phone and every time i have tried i receive the same message

{*}waiting for device
*daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037
*daemon started successfully

now in all the tutorial videos, the process takes 30 seconds to initiate and about 1-2 minutes to finish the process. My screen shows the above message and I've let it run all night. Any help on how to root my phone so i can remove my att bloatware and put on a custom system would be great

Steps I've taken so far and phone info
* searched multiple forums to find how to address this rooting issue (no success)
* phone has been unlocked from att themselves (phone is also paid off, contract is expired)
*developer options enabled
*USB debugging checked (enabled)
* updated drivers from samsung
*used keis to verify updates and to make sure everything is updated for rooting
*factory reset on phone with sim card removed

Phone info (all that I understand that is relevant)
sgh-l337
droid version 4.4.4
NJ4

thank you ahead of time for the help

You can't use motochopper on 4.4.4. It only worked on 4.2.2, mdl. See in the general forum how to Odin and root your device

SpencerC1993

Feb 24, 2015
Does Motochopper still work? I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M running 4.4.2. Towelroot does not work for me. It said my device is not supported. Would Motochopper work for me or do you know of any other ways I can root my phone?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts