What is your Next smartphone? (Mention what u bought or planning to buy)

Search This thread

matesurano

Oct 11, 2014
Hi guys! Just thought about creating a new thread about what would be our next device. This is 2017 and i thought it was time to move on and put my SAMSUNG GALAXY MINI(GT-9192)(2013)to rest. Although it is still working well and I might keep it for a few months before giving it away to my friend or family,but as said could not resist the temptation for a new device (Bigger-better-sharper display, bigger battery,fast charging, notification led, fingerprint sensor, updated android( had enough of custom roms)good build quality etc.).
So I choose..............LENOVO P2. Yup, after reading/watching hundreds of reviews i thought it is best Value for money device at the moment. Anyways................ share your stories. Thanks for reading.
UPDATE: SOLD my LENOVO P2.......primary reason....too big for my small hands. Second: I just hate dull stock like ui. Otherwise the device is very good.
UPDATE 2: Bought , used for a week and sold Lenovo Z2 plus/ZUK Z2(4/64). Reason for selling: LCD display. I will never buy a phone with LCD again. Reason 2: Device is compact but too thick. So it fails the purpose(ergonomics).
UPDATE 3: Finally(I hope so :p) settled on GALAXY A5 2017(BLACK). Got it for around $250 from Amazon deal. So far enjoying the device. Its bigger and heavier compared to S4 MINI, but compact days are over i guess!!

Last edited:

iltoffa

Nov 26, 2011
Milan
I have no idea what could be the successor of my s4 mini, specially in terms of dimensions and cost.......

chris42too

Jul 19, 2013
Went for the Sony Xperia X Compact, mainly for following reasons
- smallest form factor for modern mobile I could find, in combination with below
- acceptable price
- open source program (open device program gives you complete binaries and manual to build aosp)
- enough features for me (fingerprint, NFC, enough power for encryption, etc.)

So far I am happy with it. Running a 6.0.1 AOSP on it (no N, due to XPosed); completely removed google, hence microg.

Reactions: IronRoo

sasank360

Feb 27, 2012
Hyderabad
I remember coming to a conclusion about a year ago when i thought about replacing my s4 mini. I realized at that time, I cannot replace my s4 mini.
So bought a Nexus 5X and have been using it alongside my S4 Mini. Any apps that I dont use on my main phone (5X) are installed on s4 mini. It was also
my backup device and I my parents used it occasionally when their phones were out for repair. I am so proud of my "serrano", I will never give up on it.
I will use it till it no longer functions. Awesome phone, phenomenal custom rom support. I would like to take this opportunity to thank @arco68 for putting
an amazing effort to keep this 2013 midrange phone more than relevant in 2017. Thanks for your work man. Cheers.

Tom Mix

Oct 7, 2007
replacing with what?

for my usecase there is no option available.
- size
- replaceable battery
- sd-card
- hardware-home-button
- KK rom
these are the hardware facts. i also use an amami and it is quite comparable.
unfortunately no battery swap possible, though water-resistant :p

if i go to the OS features there is no option even close to the KK rom.
batterylife, customization, xposed, BLN (mandatory!). all worse or even
not possible on newer roms.

lucky me has two unboxed serranos, so it will work for the next years :cool:

Last edited:

ugynok

Apr 2, 2012
I cannot replace my s4 mini. So I bought another one, just in case of the "Vietnamese phone death" as that happening very often.

Reactions: kekistaneerefugee

Paspie

Dec 27, 2012
I just bought my first (brand new) I9505 a couple of weeks ago, to replace an old I9100. Previously I had experimented with a Jolla phone from 2014-2016, but Sailfish didn't quite cut it for me in terms of its versatility and the device wasn't as ergonomic as I would like. Last year I also picked up a mint Nokia 6310i, which I will use as a phone for as long as the GSM networks in the UK aren't shut down.

The GS4 Mini is unique for having one of the last full RGB matrix AMOLED displays, which at a pixel density of below 300 is a big deal. The combination of the size and a removable battery makes the device a perfect fit for me, I even bought a couple of genuine spare batteries, a Casemate tough case and Mediadevil screen protectors, this should allow the phone to last me a heck of a long time. LineageOS 13 will suffice until 14.1 builds become stable.

Last edited:

ADR USR

Dec 3, 2011
I do not want to replace S4 Mini. Only if absolutely necessary. Size, RAM, Screen, etc. Are perfect for my use. I would continue to use KK if there were security patches. But AOKP 7 works perfectly. AOSP ROMS just does not have the same quality in the camera and audio recordings. I used a lot of camera and audio recordings (in stereo) in KK. But I still do not want to replace. Only when this new battery is gone. Maybe until that happens Samsung returns with compact and quality versions. S5 Mini was a very bad one. He would be the replacement at the time. But camera, audio recording, etc. Were bad when I compared my S4 Mini.

XerotoHero

May 4, 2015
Just ordered a Doogee s60, but I am holding on to the mighty 257 just in case. Arco68 has been instrumental in keeping mine going and I can't thank him enough. Now I just have to gain his mad skills and start hacking away at the Doogee.

Last edited:

DroidHero2002

Sep 4, 2016
Halifax
I have 3 phones: s4 mini I9195I, Moto E 2015 and a Galaxy Young GT-S6310N. Next phones probably gonna be an s6 if I can get hold of one.

pman4pman

Feb 4, 2014
Probably i would buy a galaxy A3 for the actual size very similar to S4mini and for a respectful hw components. Sony Xperia X compact the second choiche or maybe the first one.. :D

D4ND310

I upgraded to a Galaxy A310f(£100 special offer) when it was released in 2016, from the S4 Mini i9195. The adequate A3 lasted several months before something gave up inside and the (non-removable) battery decided to pretend it was constantly charging, even when unplugged, while the power continued to fall until it was empty.
A void warranty due to customisations etc. has rendered it a glass-slab paper-weight until I might decide to get it fixed myself.
In the meantime as a replacement, I found a second hand old, trusty i9195 in a local shop and, to be honest, I'm going to be disappointed if/when it becomes time to replace it again. Lovely little phone with loads of bug-free ROM options(unlike the A3, for now, unless you like Touchwiz, I don't), removable battery, perfect size, the only thing I actually miss from my A3 is the USB-OTG capability but I can live without it.

Long live the S4 Mini! ???

Tom Mix

Oct 7, 2007
still nothing comparable

untill today i am not aware of an successor of my GT-i9195 pack

regarding:
- size
- OLED display
- KK 2 O CustomRoms stable and unstable ofcorse
- removable battery (using this app. 2times a month!)
- sdCard slot
:rolleyes:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I remember coming to a conclusion about a year ago when i thought about replacing my s4 mini. I realized at that time, I cannot replace my s4 mini.
    So bought a Nexus 5X and have been using it alongside my S4 Mini. Any apps that I dont use on my main phone (5X) are installed on s4 mini. It was also
    my backup device and I my parents used it occasionally when their phones were out for repair. I am so proud of my "serrano", I will never give up on it.
    I will use it till it no longer functions. Awesome phone, phenomenal custom rom support. I would like to take this opportunity to thank @arco68 for putting
    an amazing effort to keep this 2013 midrange phone more than relevant in 2017. Thanks for your work man. Cheers.
    replacing with what?

for my usecase there is no option available.
    - size
    - replaceable battery
    - sd-card
    - hardware-home-button
    - KK rom
    these are the hardware facts. i also use an amami and it is quite comparable.
    unfortunately no battery swap possible, though water-resistant :p

if i go to the OS features there is no option even close to the KK rom.
    batterylife, customization, xposed, BLN (mandatory!). all worse or even
    not possible on newer roms.

lucky me has two unboxed serranos, so it will work for the next years :cool:
    Hi guys! Just thought about creating a new thread about what would be our next device. This is 2017 and i thought it was time to move on and put my SAMSUNG GALAXY MINI(GT-9192)(2013)to rest. Although it is still working well and I might keep it for a few months before giving it away to my friend or family,but as said could not resist the temptation for a new device (Bigger-better-sharper display, bigger battery,fast charging, notification led, fingerprint sensor, updated android( had enough of custom roms)good build quality etc.).
    So I choose..............LENOVO P2. Yup, after reading/watching hundreds of reviews i thought it is best Value for money device at the moment. Anyways................ share your stories. Thanks for reading.
    UPDATE: SOLD my LENOVO P2.......primary reason....too big for my small hands. Second: I just hate dull stock like ui. Otherwise the device is very good.
    UPDATE 2: Bought , used for a week and sold Lenovo Z2 plus/ZUK Z2(4/64). Reason for selling: LCD display. I will never buy a phone with LCD again. Reason 2: Device is compact but too thick. So it fails the purpose(ergonomics).
    UPDATE 3: Finally(I hope so :p) settled on GALAXY A5 2017(BLACK). Got it for around $250 from Amazon deal. So far enjoying the device. Its bigger and heavier compared to S4 MINI, but compact days are over i guess!!
    I do not want to replace S4 Mini. Only if absolutely necessary. Size, RAM, Screen, etc. Are perfect for my use. I would continue to use KK if there were security patches. But AOKP 7 works perfectly. AOSP ROMS just does not have the same quality in the camera and audio recordings. I used a lot of camera and audio recordings (in stereo) in KK. But I still do not want to replace. Only when this new battery is gone. Maybe until that happens Samsung returns with compact and quality versions. S5 Mini was a very bad one. He would be the replacement at the time. But camera, audio recording, etc. Were bad when I compared my S4 Mini.
    well...

what an coincidence:
    i will get my hands on a S7 (not the edge one!)
    soon too.:cyclops:

custom rom support is looking great! :good:
    and it is
    Code:
    124.6 x 61.3 x  8.9 mm vs.  
    142.4 x 69.6 x  7.9mm 
    +17.8 x +8.3 x -1.0mm
    biggest drawback will be the non changeable battery...:rolleyes:

i will report back! :cool: