Galaxy S4 Mini Plus (GT-I9195I) Hacking Guide (Root, Recovery, Xposed)

Search This thread

Alte.78

Aug 3, 2010
Trying to purchase Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-I9195) I received S4 Mini Plus (GT-I9195I) from online retailer. After some consideration I decided to treat this as a challenge and not to return the purchase. Here is what I learned so far about hacking this tiny piece of electronics:

Getting Root
I was not able to get root on the firmware installed on the phone (I9195IXXU1AOB1). The way I fixed that was to download another firmware from SamMobile and flashed it with Kies. The highest version I was able to flash without issues was I9195IXXU1AOD2, and it immediately updated to I9195IXXU1AOG1. For both versions latest KingRoot worked just fine. SuperSu Me fixed all the damage KingRoot did, replacing it with proper SuperSu. This did not trip Knox device status, BTW.

Flashing Custom Recovery
I downloaded official TWRP recovery from teamw.in and decided to go the hard way and install the recovery doing dd fom command line (ConnectBot) - I was hoping this will help me to keep the warranty. Worked just fine, but tripped Knox bit nevertheless. NB: avoid extra hassles and just use Odin to install recovery.

Installing Xposed
Xposed install sent my device into boot loop. Fixing permissions from recovery allowed me to boot, but gapps was having permanent ANRs. Upon investigation it looks like Xposed for KK is not designed to take selinux enforcing mode into account. Specifically it installed app_process with wrong security context making device unbootable. The fix is very simple:
1. Install Xposed Installer and ES File Explorer.
2. Open Xposed Installer, go to Framework menu, select "Recovery (write zip to SD card, flash manually)" Installation mode, press "Install/Update".
3. Open ES File, navigate to /sdcard/Andriod/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/files. There are two files there: Xposed-Installer-Recovery.zip and Xposed-Disabler-Recovery.zip
4. Now comes the fun part: in both archives you need to modify META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary: comment or delete all "chmod", "chown" and "restorecon" commands and replace "cp XXX/app_process[.orig] XXX/app_process" with "cat XXX/app_process[.orig] > XXX/app_process". This will keep both permissions and security context of the file. Unpack, edit, repack.
5. Reboot into recovery, install Xposed-Installer-Recovery.zip, enjoy.
I will send patch to Xposed maintainer later this week. But we have not seen new releases of Xposed fo KK for over a year now, so I am not sure it will get released any time soon.

I will update the post as my adventures continue - my plan is to have CyanogenMod on this device some day. Stay tuned.

lambdadroid

Recognized Developer
Jul 18, 2015
I will update the post as my adventures continue - my plan is to have CyanogenMod on this device some day. Stay tuned.
If you want you can PM me or join Freenode IRC and PM droidlambda. I've already started making CyanogenMod for the device, although I haven't come that far yet (even though the TWRP recovery you installed was ported by me). I could give you some advice (of my experiences with this phone and porting) and my basic config (which builds recovery successfully) if you want.

Reactions: BNS123

nick_white

May 14, 2014
Does it have to go through all that trouble for Xposed? Or only if you want to install it via recovery (not classic / APK)?
Because recovery will trigger Knox (bye warranty).
Anyone installed Xposed the classic way on i9195i?

nick_white

May 14, 2014
Getting Root
For both versions latest KingRoot worked just fine. SuperSu Me fixed all the damage KingRoot did, replacing it with proper SuperSu.
If we install TWRP, can't we just flash SuperSU zip from recovery to avoid the KingRoot removal hassle?

Installing Xposed
Xposed install sent my device into boot loop. Fixing permissions from recovery allowed me to boot, but gapps was having permanent ANRs. Upon investigation it looks like Xposed for KK is not designed to take selinux enforcing mode into account. Specifically it installed app_process with wrong security context making device unbootable.
Was this boot loop after classical (write to /system), or recovery install?
I installed Xposed classical on i9195 (not i) KK (it also has selinux enforcing) without problems. Is there a difference that I'm not aware of?

Thanks.

Karboush

Apr 22, 2009
Paris
Trying to purchase Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-I9195) I received S4 Mini Plus (GT-I9195I) from online retailer. After some consideration I decided to treat this as a challenge and not to return the purchase. Here is what I learned so far about hacking this tiny piece of electronics:

Getting Root
I was not able to get root on the firmware installed on the phone (I9195IXXU1AOB1). The way I fixed that was to download another firmware from SamMobile and flashed it with Kies. The highest version I was able to flash without issues was I9195IXXU1AOD2, and it immediately updated to I9195IXXU1AOG1. For both versions latest KingRoot worked just fine. SuperSu Me fixed all the damage KingRoot did, replacing it with proper SuperSu. This did not trip Knox device status, BTW.

Flashing Custom Recovery
I downloaded official TWRP recovery from teamw.in and decided to go the hard way and install the recovery doing dd fom command line (ConnectBot) - I was hoping this will help me to keep the warranty. Worked just fine, but tripped Knox bit nevertheless. NB: avoid extra hassles and just use Odin to install recovery.

Installing Xposed
Xposed install sent my device into boot loop. Fixing permissions from recovery allowed me to boot, but gapps was having permanent ANRs. Upon investigation it looks like Xposed for KK is not designed to take selinux enforcing mode into account. Specifically it installed app_process with wrong security context making device unbootable. The fix is very simple:
2. Open Xposed Installer, go to Framework menu, select "Recovery (write zip to SD card, flash manually)" Installation mode, press "Install/Update".
3. Open ES File, navigate to /sdcard/Andriod/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/files. There are two files there: Xposed-Installer-Recovery.zip and Xposed-Disabler-Recovery.zip
4. Now comes the fun part: in both archives you need to modify META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary: comment or delete all "chmod", "chown" and "restorecon" commands and replace "cp XXX/app_process[.orig] XXX/app_process" with "cat XXX/app_process[.orig] > XXX/app_process". This will keep both permissions and security context of the file. Unpack, edit, repack.
I will send patch to Xposed maintainer later this week. But we have not seen new releases of Xposed fo KK for over a year now, so I am not sure it will get released any time soon.

Thanks for the Xposed trick!
I managed to root according to your instructions (King root the supersu me), then install xposed through flashfire.
No need to flash custom recovery!
So knox is still 0x0!!

Great!

Last edited:

Alte.78

Aug 3, 2010
Does it have to go through all that trouble for Xposed? Or only if you want to install it via recovery (not classic / APK)?
Because recovery will trigger Knox (bye warranty).
Anyone installed Xposed the classic way on i9195i?
Yes you have. Normal install (Write to /system) will send your phone into bootloop and you will have to re-flash your rom. I've tried that.

Alte.78

Aug 3, 2010
I managed to root according to your instructions (King root the supersu me), then install xposed through flashfire.
So knox is still 0x0!!
Thats absolutely cool! I want to have custom recovery anyway, but your discovery will surely help a lot of people. :good:

Alte.78

Aug 3, 2010
Was this boot loop after classical (write to /system), or recovery install?
I installed Xposed classical on i9195 (not i) KK (it also has selinux enforcing) without problems. Is there a difference that I'm not aware of?.
For me it failed both ways wiping out security context of app_process. Maybe your better luck has something to do with a different rom or Xposed version you are using?

CostasV23

Sep 22, 2013
Getting Root

Could you point me as to where did you find the firmware for the phone. I'm tempted to try rooting it. Is xposed necessary for the root to take full effect or no ? Cause it sounds a bit tricky and risky.

Last edited:

CostasV23

Sep 22, 2013
soo

Getting Root

So my phone has the AOD1 firmware can i root it like AOD2? Im in greece

Synomenon

Jan 7, 2013
Ok, so I have mine updated to I9195IXXU1AOG1. How do I get SuperSU on it without changing Knox to 0x1?

CostasV23

Sep 22, 2013
xposed?

Is xposed necessary for the rooting process? or can i just skip it to avoid all the fuzz? :confused:

nick_white

May 14, 2014
Yes you have. Normal install (Write to /system) will send your phone into bootloop and you will have to re-flash your rom. I've tried that.

I upgraded my firmware to:
PDA: I9195IXXU1APA1
CSC: I9195IPHN1APA1
which is also (one of) the latest version, and has the Stagefright vulnerabilities fixed.

Then rooted with latest KingRoot (4.80) + Super Sume Pro.
Then installed Xposed 2.6.1 (stable) and installed "classical" (write to /system). It worked, no bootloops. Maybe you tried a different Xposed version?

CostasV23

Sep 22, 2013
Which version of Xposed is everyone using? On the S4 Mini Plus?

Im using the app_process 58 and
xposedBridge.jar 54 which i think is the latest stable edition as of 13/07/2016
Xposed installer version 2.61 with auto flash in recovery method no problems 5 months that i have it

Last edited:

cristihan

Oct 9, 2016
Timisoara
Full debloat stock ROM on Samsung S4 mini Plus (GT-i9195i)

For more than a year, after I upgraded my firmware to:
PDA: I9195IXXU1APF1
CSC: I9195IYUX1APG1
which was the latest version from https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/GT-I9195I/
I am using a debloat version of Galaxy S4 mini Plus (serranoveltexx). Inspired by @btnetro I made a script and tested a full debloat stock ROM on Samsung S4 mini Plus (GT-i9195i). All this time my device has worked very well and even now I am very pleased with him. For those who want to keep stock OS like me, I decided to share with you this flashable zip.
First flash via Odin, a custom recovery on your device( installation instructions here: https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4-mini/development/recovery-cwm-twrp-philz-t3182207 ), restart your device and copy attached files in the root of your ext. SD card. Reboot your device in recovery mode and flash “Full_debloat_i9195i.zip”. For those who want to keep weather widget flash this file “weather2014_A3.zip” too (first debloat). Wipe /cache and reboot your device.

Attachments

• Full_debloat_i9195i.zip
    1 MB · Views: 61
  • weather2014_A3.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 27

yannis_gr

Apr 7, 2012
OK, i've a weird issue.

I tried all the available recoveries (Philz touch 6.59.0, twrp 2.8.4.0 & 2.8.7.1 etc, and all flashed with odin method) but none of them recognize my external SD.
I tried other sd cards as well, known to be good as they're used in other phones, but end up with th same.
Funny part is that inside os (stock KK 4.4.4) i can see all the files in SD card...

Any suggestion?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Getting Root

Flashing Custom Recovery

Installing Xposed

Getting Root

Flashing Custom Recovery

Installing Xposed

So knox is still 0x0!!

Great!
    If you want you can PM me or join Freenode IRC and PM droidlambda. I've already started making CyanogenMod for the device, although I haven't come that far yet (even though the TWRP recovery you installed was ported by me). I could give you some advice (of my experiences with this phone and porting) and my basic config (which builds recovery successfully) if you want.
    Could you point me as to where did you find the firmware for the phone.

Try this link: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/GT-I9195I/