[Q] Stuck at boot screen after TWRP asking if I want to install SuperSU

Search This thread

Nerva

Jan 14, 2010
I have to think I'm not the first to be in this situation but my searches didn't turn up anything that looked familiar.

I rooted the stock phone and installed TWRP 2.6xx a month or two ago with no issues. Everything's been running great and I decided it was time to make another backup using TWRP.

After a successful backup I wiped dalvik and cache out of habit and went to reboot -- TWRP said I was not rooted and wanted to know if I wanted to install SuperSU? This question was unexpected since I'd been rooted for a long time, and I decided to just say yes. The phone rebooted and stopped at the Samsung Galaxy S4 boot screen. I did up-volume reboot to recovery, but it seemed to hang at the TWRP blue screen -- I later discovered it will eventually get to the menu after a minute or two of the blue screen. I tried wiping cache and dalvik again and rebooting -- every time I try to reboot now it asks if I want to install SuperSU -- whether I say yes or no seems to make no difference -- I've tried both several times. Every time it hangs at the Samsung boot screen, or it takes forever to get to TWRP if I'm booting to recovery.

I've tried wiping cache, dalvik and data with no improvement. I finally tried formatting data, but again no improvement. I also tried restoring my backup several times and wiping cache and dalvik but still stuck.

I prior to today's problems I'd used TWRP a number of times and I don't recall it asking the SuperSU question, so I am thinking that is the key to this problem, and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it means?

Nerva

Jan 14, 2010
I'm running what came on the phone, just unlocked, rooted, and installed TWRP.

I ran CM10.1 on my previous phone and currently on my tablet, but my impression from running it previously is CM is a downgrade in voicemail functionality (you get these annoying text messages and have to call the voicemail), and I'm assuming it doesn't support the special GS4 hardware features like being able to hover your finger.

Nerva

Jan 14, 2010
OK I installed TWRP 2502 and it now boots to recovery normally. However, it still asks me before rebooting if I want to install SuperSU, and it hangs on the Samsung boot screen.

ParkerParker

Aug 10, 2013
ThE EvErGrEeN StAtE
OK I installed TWRP 2502 and it now boots to recovery normally. However, it still asks me before rebooting if I want to install SuperSU, and it hangs on the Samsung boot screen.

How did you root? CF auto root also installs SuperSU
Do you have a back up from when you were rooted? IF twrp keeps giving you problems, use cwm, are you able to get past the Samsung boot..

Last edited:

Nerva

Jan 14, 2010
Yeah that's what I did back when I rooted it months ago. I tried running CF auto root again today and it didn't work, so I ran it from Odin and it did work that time, but there was no change -- still hangs on the Samsung boot screen, although now I'm back to the stock recovery. So I tried installing the stock MF9 firmware from Odin -- still hangs on the boot screen. I don't know what to do at this point...

Nerva

Jan 14, 2010
Yes, I did a factory reset -- followed the video instructions by qbking77. Still hangs on the boot screen.

ParkerParker

Aug 10, 2013
ThE EvErGrEeN StAtE
Take out battery.. Put back in. Go to stock recovery, holding all 3 buttons volume up factory reset.. If you used odin abd flashed mf9 it should fix you?

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

Well I guess I tried man, someone who has more knowledge should chime in now :)

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

This :confused:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2400192

Abisheklegacy

Nov 17, 2014
Im also stucked with the same problem!! After flashing my rom succesfully it just ask ur device is not rooted swipe to install!! I tried all the posiblities!! but i stuck with the boot image!! pls help me!!:(:(

pontif

Apr 5, 2013
Raleigh
From experience it sounds like you should head over to sammobile and Odin back to stock and start fresh.
1. Odin to stock
2. Root phone
3. Put desired recovery
4. Flash ROM (be sure to read dev install instructions some require reboot of recovery after wipe)
5.try to restore backup (best if you flash ROM that is backup then restore backup)
6.if you went into nae or ng2 you cannot downgrade to me
7.google has many solutions :D:D:D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

igniby

Oct 18, 2015
Sorry for necro, but did anyone figure out a solution to this? This just happened to me.

jomari05

Jul 4, 2016
Just Reflash it

We have the same issue, tried to install supersu binary, after installing through twrp recover, my phone went bootloop, as i've tried to search the internet, the issue doesn't fix by by most of the users unless they reflash their device. though its a bit hassle starting from zero, but atleast, you got ur device back :)

miso2004

Sep 7, 2008
This helps me:
1. Run Odin on your computer and, after entering download mode on your phone, establish a connection between your devices with the help of the USB cable.
2.Note: for download mode – power off your smartphone and then press and hold, at the same time, the Power, Volume Down and Home buttons.
3.Odin will try to recognize your device; if everything works as expected, on the program the “added” message will be displayed and the ID:COM field will be turned yellow, or blue. (Note: if that’s not happening, unplug the USB connection, close Odin, force restart your phone and reinstall the USB drivers on your computer before retrying the steps from above)
4.From the program click on the “PA” button and load the custom recovery image; don’t check Re Partition and Auto Reboot options.
5.When done, click on “start” and wait while TWRP recovery is being added on your phone
6.In the end, Odin will display the “pass” message and the ID:COM filed will be turned green (or other color) with message - RESTART; you can then remove the USB cord and reboot your smartphone.

Paperkutz

Feb 10, 2018
I have had this prob on a few things , if you have a backup,flash any mod that will go to the device will do then run the backup and reflash should work .and if you have twrp try to reformat all but the system and see if that helps.
Good luck.

seralej

Jan 10, 2022
Hi to everyone.
Today, I installed the TWRP and the ROM and both were installed correctly on a Le Pro3 X722. The problem started when the Google services were updating. Suddenly, the phone restarted and entered in a bootloop. I was not even able to enter the TWRP. The page freeze on LE-Recovery logo and then crashed (fill full of lines). I disconnected the battery for a while and then, I was able to enter the TWRP for 2 time but recovery crashes in few seconds. I wanted to wipe and install a clean rom but I cannot enter TWRP anymore.
Please, Is there someone that could help me?

Thank you very much in advance

PS. My phone is not recognized via ADB. I tried with the AIO Tool but my device is not detected.