SG4 in 4.4.4 stock ROM is looping on grey battery icon.

Search This thread

Rax603

Oct 11, 2017
So this happened about a month ago. The battery drained and when I left it charging I noticed that it was vibrating and showing the grey battery icon and this loops. I have the CMR Recovery v6.0.4.7 and can only access it when connected to the wall charger. I have left it a while on CMR while connected to the wall to see if it need charging but it just does the same thing when trying to boot. I have wiped cache, dalvik cache and selected the "Fix root" option before rebooting and nothing. I have not tried to flash a ROM in fear of bricking it. I made it as far as the "Upgrading Apps" window before fully booting but it turned off. I searched a bit and some people blame a faulty USB Port and/or power switch. I have no problem in buying and replacing the USB port and the power switch, though I don't have soldering tools for the power switch. But since I don't know what the issue is exactly I haven't rushed to buy the USB port replacement. So, the question is: is it a software or hardware problem and can it be fixed? I hope this is a software issue so it can be easier to solve.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I suggest putting the phone into download mode and see if Odin recognises the phone. If it does, I would flash the latest stock rom.

Rax603

Oct 11, 2017
I suggest putting the phone into download mode and see if Odin recognises the phone. If it does, I would flash the latest stock rom.

Odin does recognize the phone on Download Mode. So, what you are saying is to flash the latest non-rooted ROM (OFW), correct? Like the tar files found in sites like SamMobile? That won't remove my root nor custom recovery, right? Kinda of a newb question even though I kinda know the answer, but I just want to make sure.

Rax603

Oct 11, 2017
Flashing a stock ROM will always remove root and twrp.

Hi. So, I flashed the latest stock ROM that is available on SamMobile and it fails in Odin. Now when I plug the phone without going to Download Mode its says something about recovery mode in Kies and and a firmware upgrade issue. What is happening? Thank for your responses, btw.

What I downloaded was a zip titled "SGH-M919-TMB-M919UVUAMDL-1366964131" and inside is and tar.md5 file called "M919UVUAMDL_M919TMBAMDL_M919UVUAMDL_HOME.tar". There on the same folder as Odin.

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
What error message was displayed in the Odin log?

Post the entire Odin log if possible. This will help to determine the issue.

You confirmed that the phone is an sgh-m919 in download mode?

Even though you turn on the phone and see the message"...firmware upgrade encountered an error...", Odin can still be usedto flash a stock ROM as if the phone was in download mode.

The MDL firmware is too old. Try flashing the latest ROM.

Last edited: