FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] GPU Voltage Control App for the AKLU kernels [1.2]

1,254 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,584

Post Reply Email Thread
GPU Voltage Control App for the AKLU kernels
To God be the glory! Finally a way to control the voltage of the GPU on AKLU Samsung Galaxy S4 kernels!

While enrolled in an Android app developer course by Rob Perceval, I have used my limited skills to create this simple app which allows you to over volt, under volt, or reset the voltage to defaults for the AKLU kernels on the Samsung Galaxy S4!

It *could* possibly work on other S4 kernels that use ktoonsez's GPU voltage controlling code, but I don't recommend it. However, if you do try it on another S4 kernel, and it is successful, please let me know, or post it here.

The toast pop-up will tell you your current status (default, over volted, or under volted), and the buttons allow you to set a new status.

SAFETY:

#1. The app is programmed to check if you have @ktoonsez 's GPU voltage controlling code, and if you do not, the app will immediately close to prevent a user from writing things to the /sys directory that they shouldn't.

#2. While this is inherently dangerous, the app is set to only make a small, fixed adjustment of 10 mV. I have played with numbers and I believe that this is the "safest" option possible, while potentially allowing for some gain.

That being said, USE WITH CAUTION.
This app requires root privileges and permission to read/write to your phone so it can check for the current GPU settings and write new ones.

Also, at this time the app will not automatically set the voltage again after a reboot. You must manually choose to enable this after every boot.

Enjoy, and feel free to leave an on topic comment! Especially if you tried it with games, videos, or just daily driving.

Download:
Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...voltagecontrol
- Or in the Source folder under "app".

Source: https://github.com/alaskalinuxuser/a...oltage_control

I give full permission for anyone to use or abuse the source code in any way they see fit. I have put comments in the code.

Change log:

- Update to version 1.2
- Can now change by -40 mV to +50 mV!

- Initial release.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free

25th November 2016, 04:31 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks

Donate to Me
More
Also a big thanks to:
@faux123 and @javelinanddart and @ktoonsez who did all the "real work"!

For the code that allows us to change the GPU voltage! Without these guys, this app would be useless!
The Following User Says Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free
25th November 2016, 04:45 PM |#4  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Midwest
Thanks Meter: 1,351

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaLinuxUser

Also a big thanks to:
@faux123 @javelinanddart

For the code that allows us to change the GPU voltage! Without these guys, this app would be useless!

GPU voltage was not faux123, it was @ktoonsez
https://github.com/javelinanddart/an...ad549bbb31c75e

Also, I simply played around with the sysfs methods and placement, ktoonsez did all of the real work
The Following User Says Thank You to javelinanddart For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th November 2016, 05:31 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinanddart

GPU voltage was not faux123, it was @ktoonsez
https://github.com/javelinanddart/an...ad549bbb31c75e

Also, I simply played around with the sysfs methods and placement, ktoonsez did all of the real work

Thanks for the clarification! I have updated the thanks post. I based it off of the github commits that I borrowed the code from for the kernel, which was faux123's.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free
24th May 2017, 03:21 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks

Donate to Me
More
The AKLU kernel for AOKP Nougat (7.1.2) has been updated to work with this app, be sure to give it a try!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free
27th July 2017, 04:08 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks

Donate to Me
More
Praise God, new update in the OP!

I've completely redone the GPU control app. If you have the old version, you could only over or under volt the GPU by 10 mV. Now you can over/under by -40/+50 mV! The interface has been improved as well, plus, now you can see the voltages you are controlling... It's a big improvement over the old app, so feel free to give it a try! See the OP for details, now available for download on the Play Store, or from the GitHub app directory.
27th July 2017, 07:27 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks

Donate to Me
More
I ran some benchmarks with AnTuTu before and after making some adjustments. While over volted at +50 mV, the 3d score was 2319. While under volted at -40 mV, the 3d score was only 2282. Not a huge difference, but it is noteworthy. That's a 37 point difference on the score. Probably not perceptible, but interesting none the less. The overall AnTuTu score (all other things being equal) was 36342 with over volting and 36334 while under volting. The limits that I set seem to be safe, in that the benchmark did not cause a crash, but your results may vary.

I also gave time for the phone to cool down between benchmarks, since heat makes a difference.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free
3rd August 2017, 07:49 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks

Donate to Me
More
Any comments from the crowd on GPU voltage control? Any performance issues when gaming?

Sent from my LG-H811 using XDA-Developers Legacy app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free
6th August 2017, 05:36 AM |#10  
Flag Montréal
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaLinuxUser

Any comments from the crowd on GPU voltage control? Any performance issues when gaming?

First of all, thanks for bringing this , that's what I wanted! I did -40 for the GPU. I think it runs cooler but does not affect performance (visually). Not sure if it is a placebo for the temperature

Using the AOKP-N-20170619 kernel
The Following User Says Thank You to TFutoMaki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TFutoMaki Ad-Free
6th August 2017, 02:49 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fairbanks

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFutoMaki

First of all, thanks for bringing this , that's what I wanted! I did -40 for the GPU. I think it runs cooler but does not affect performance (visually). Not sure if it is a placebo for the temperature

Using the AOKP-N-20170619 kernel

That follows the general theory, when undervolted, it should be cooler.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you like it!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)