FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] GPU Voltage Control App for the AKLU kernels [1.0]

1,088 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,256

By AlaskaLinuxUser, Senior Member on 25th November 2016, 04:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
GPU Voltage Control App for the AKLU kernels
To God be the glory! Finally a way to control the voltage of the GPU on AKLU Samsung Galaxy S4 kernels!

While enrolled in an Android app developer course by Rob Perceval, I have used my limited skills to create this simple app which allows you to over volt, under volt, or reset the voltage to defaults for the AKLU kernels on the Samsung Galaxy S4!

It *could* possibly work on other S4 kernels that use ktoonsez's GPU voltage controlling code, but I don't recommend it. However, if you do try it on another S4 kernel, and it is successful, please let me know, or post it here.

The toast pop-up will tell you your current status (default, over volted, or under volted), and the buttons allow you to set a new status.

SAFETY:

#1. The app is programmed to check if you have @ktoonsez 's GPU voltage controlling code, and if you do not, the app will immediately close to prevent a user from writing things to the /sys directory that they shouldn't.

#2. While this is inherently dangerous, the app is set to only make a small, fixed adjustment of 10 mV. I have played with numbers and I believe that this is the "safest" option possible, while potentially allowing for some gain.

That being said, USE WITH CAUTION.
This app requires root privileges and permission to read/write to your phone so it can check for the current GPU settings and write new ones.

Also, at this time the app will not automatically set the voltage again after a reboot. You must manually choose to enable this after every boot. Sorry, I am just learning how to make apps, this was the best I could do at this time.

Enjoy, and feel free to leave an on topic comment! Especially if you tried it with games, videos, or just daily driving.

Download:
https://www.mediafire.com/download/hk5vcce0s5r6kb7

Source: https://github.com/alaskalinuxuser/S...ge_control_app
I give full permission for anyone to use or abuse the source code in any way they see fit. I have put comments about each set of lines in the code.

Change log:

- Initial release.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free

25th November 2016, 04:17 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Screenshots!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1480090599793.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	3948160Click image for larger version

Name:	1480090610215.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	3948161Click image for larger version

Name:	1480090619694.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	3948162Click image for larger version

Name:	1480090626334.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	3948163Click image for larger version

Name:	1480090632993.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	3948166Click image for larger version

Name:	1480090640763.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	3948167
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free
25th November 2016, 04:31 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Also a big thanks to:
@faux123 and @javelinanddart and @ktoonsez who did all the "real work"!

For the code that allows us to change the GPU voltage! Without these guys, this app would be useless!
The Following User Says Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free
25th November 2016, 04:45 PM |#4  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Midwest
Thanks Meter: 1,337

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaLinuxUser

Also a big thanks to:
@faux123 @javelinanddart

For the code that allows us to change the GPU voltage! Without these guys, this app would be useless!

GPU voltage was not faux123, it was @ktoonsez
https://github.com/javelinanddart/an...ad549bbb31c75e

Also, I simply played around with the sysfs methods and placement, ktoonsez did all of the real work
The Following User Says Thank You to javelinanddart For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th November 2016, 05:31 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinanddart

GPU voltage was not faux123, it was @ktoonsez
https://github.com/javelinanddart/an...ad549bbb31c75e

Also, I simply played around with the sysfs methods and placement, ktoonsez did all of the real work

Thanks for the clarification! I have updated the thanks post. I based it off of the github commits that I borrowed the code from for the kernel, which was faux123's.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free
24th May 2017, 03:21 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
The AKLU kernel for AOKP Nougat (7.1.2) has been updated to work with this app, be sure to give it a try!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlaskaLinuxUser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AlaskaLinuxUser Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)