new update i545vrsgpl1

Search This thread

slimcyril

Feb 7, 2015
Please could someone guide me on how to replace kingoroot with supersu, I tried with the supersume v6.7 it removed the kinguser but didn't install supersu while I tried to manually install supersu I figured out that root was also lost & as I tried to reroot with kingoroot, it rebooted & was stuck on Verizon logo. All advice are welcome [emoji24] [emoji25]

Sent from my SM-G920V using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Last edited:
Reactions: hotpadshubby
Aug 2, 2015
Please could someone guide me on how to replace kingoroot with supersu, I tried with the supersume v6.7 it removed the kinguser but didn't install supersu while I tried to manually install supersu I figured out that root was also lost & as I tried to reroot with kingoroot, it rebooted & was stuck on Verizon logo. All advice are welcome [emoji24] [emoji25]

I would re-root with kingroot, and then use another application like lucky patcher or titanium backup to remove kingroot, install supersu from the play store whilst rooted and it should work as normal.

slimcyril

Feb 7, 2015
I would re-root with kingroot, and then use another application like lucky patcher or titanium backup to remove kingroot, install supersu from the play store whilst rooted and it should work as normal.
Thanks for the advice I rooted with kingoroot uninstalled the superuser but kept kingoroot installed then I installed supersu that did the trick.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2017
I meant to try following it with the pl1 and see if it works for you.

If you are looking for pl1 specific ROM's, then you are going to be waiting for a long time since the pl1 is still extremely new.

I, personally, would try it out but, I'd understand completely if you don't.

Best of luck!

Peace and Love!
Peace and Love!
~Ringo Starr~

Sent on my Communicator [SCH-I535] from the Bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise...

**IF I WAS HELPFUL IN ANY WAY THEN**
**PLZ THANK ME WITH A THUMBS UP!**
Since there likely won't be a PL1 ROM for a while, would flashing OF1 on a PL1 device using Odin and then re-updating to PL1 OTA be a viable workaround?

Since there likely won't be a PL1 ROM for a while, would flashing OF1 on a PL1 device using Odin and then re-updating to PL1 OTA be a viable workaround?

I've actually looked into this not too long ago and, with that version being so new, there's really nothing about it.

That's really your call. I, personally, would give it a try but, i really can't say that it will work. I am a person who likes to test out things that may work.

I really don't see any reason why it won't work nor have i seen anything that it will.

Reactions: ItsBeenFun2017

bilgerryan

Inactive Recognized Developer
Yes, that will work. You may need to do a factory reset though.

IWSJX5e.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2017
I've actually looked into this not too long ago and, with that version being so new, there's really nothing about it.

That's really your call. I, personally, would give it a try but, i really can't say that it will work. I am a person who likes to test out things that may work.

I really don't see any reason why it won't work nor have i seen anything that it will.

Yes, that will work. You may need to do a factory reset though.

IWSJX5e.jpg

Thanks for the input @Ibuprophen and @bilgerryan! So for the sake of confirmation I tested it out. I was able to flash OF1 using Odin3 v3.10.7, and then re-download PL1 from the OTA notification. The notification popped up less than a minute after starting my phone. I installed it and verified I had PL1 again.

They also had the I545VRSGPL1 firmware over at Sammobile, so I decided to test it out as well. I flashed back to OF1 using Odin, and then back to PL1, and then back to OF1 again. So I seem to be able to freely move between the two firmwares.

However, I am a little confused. I assumed that flashing these firmwares would be like performing a factory reset (except for the OTA update, which I knew wouldn't clear my data), but it didn't seem to work that way. I did do a factory reset before doing any flashing, but after the first flash I connected one Google account and also connected to WiFi. It never seemed to reset my phone. I never had to go through activation, and the phone retained the WiFi connection and Google account. Am I right in thinking I was flashing the stock ROMs? I did go into about phone and check the baseband version every time, and even kept notes:

Starting Firmware: Baseband I545VRSGPL1 [I did a factory reset before flashing any firmware]
After First Odin Flash: Baseband I545VRUGOF1 [I connected the phone to WiFi and added a Google Account]
After OTA Flash: Baseband I545VRSGPL1 [Still connected to WiFi and Google account]
After Second Odin Flash: Baseband I545VRUGOF1 [Still connected to WiFi and Google account]
After Third Odin Flash: Baseband I545VRSGPL1 [Still connected to WiFi and Google account]
After Fourth Odin Flash: Baseband I545VRUGOF1 [Still connected to WiFi and Google account]

If my phone isn't being completely reset, does that mean these methods would not work to unbrick my phone if it were to get soft-brick?

Last edited:

bilgerryan

Thanks for the input @Ibuprophen and @bilgerryan! So for the sake of confirmation I tested it out. I was able to flash OF1 using Odin3 v3.10.7, and then re-download PL1 from the OTA notification. The notification popped up less than a minute after starting my phone. I installed it and verified I had PL1 again.

They also had the I545VRSGPL1 firmware over at Sammobile, so I decided to test it out as well. I flashed back to OF1 using Odin, and then back to PL1, and then back to OF1 again. So I seem to be able to freely move between the two firmwares.

However, I am a little confused. I assumed that flashing these firmwares would be like performing a factory reset (except for the OTA update, which I knew wouldn't clear my data), but it didn't seem to work that way. I did do a factory reset before doing any flashing, but after the first flash I connected one Google account and also connected to WiFi. It never seemed to reset my phone. I never had to go through activation, and the phone retained the WiFi connection and Google account. Am I right in thinking I was flashing the stock ROMs? I did go into about phone and check the baseband version every time, and even kept notes:

Starting Firmware: Baseband I545VRSGPL1 [I did a factory reset before flashing any firmware]
After First Odin Flash: Baseband I545VRUGOF1 [I connected the phone to WiFi and added a Google Account]
After OTA Flash: Baseband I545VRSGPL1 [Still connected to WiFi and Google account]
After Second Odin Flash: Baseband I545VRUGOF1 [Still connected to WiFi and Google account]
After Third Odin Flash: Baseband I545VRSGPL1 [Still connected to WiFi and Google account]
After Fourth Odin Flash: Baseband I545VRUGOF1 [Still connected to WiFi and Google account]

If my phone isn't being completely reset, does that mean these methods would not work to unbrick my phone if it were to get soft-brick?
No, that's why I said that you may need to factory reset. The OF1 tar from sammobile simply does not have the command to wipe the /data partition. Most likely to be used to easily recover from bootloops when something is flashed to system as this device doesn't have a custom recovery for OF1.

IWSJX5e.jpg

No, that's why I said that you may need to factory reset. The OF1 tar from sammobile simply does not have the command to wipe the /data partition. Most likely to be used to easily recover from bootloops when something is flashed to system as this device doesn't have a custom recovery for OF1.

IWSJX5e.jpg

It does look like the kernel isn't liking the new baseband...

This is why I didn't update my S4 because the new version looks like it only addresses the locking of the bootloader with more of a strangle hold.

Mar 11, 2017

This is why I didn't update my S4 because the new version looks like it only addresses the locking of the bootloader with more of a strangle hold.

Ahh, so it is an updated bootloader. Would that be why I can't flash stang5litre's ROM onto my S4? Once I run FlashFire, it flashes some short log files, then fades to black while lighting the LED light blue. It just stays here perpetually. I left it for 2 hours. Would having a different bootloader affect this? I figured it wouldn't matter the bootloader because it's locked down in any case.

bilgerryan

Ahh, so it is an updated bootloader. Would that be why I can't flash stang5litre's ROM onto my S4? Once I run FlashFire, it flashes some short log files, then fades to black while lighting the LED light blue. It just stays here perpetually. I left it for 2 hours. Would having a different bootloader affect this? I figured it wouldn't matter the bootloader because it's locked down in any case.
Make sure you are using FlashFire v.53. It sounds like you are using the latest version and that doesn't work on this device at all.

IWSJX5e.jpg

Are you using FlashFire v53?

That's, currently, the last version that will work for stang5litre.

I have one that I had Severed from the Play Store.

Mar 11, 2017
Make sure you are using FlashFire v.53. It sounds like you are using the latest version and that doesn't work on this device at all.

IWSJX5e.jpg

Are you using FlashFire v53?

That's, currently, the last version that will work for stang5litre.

I have one that I had Severed from the Play Store.

Thank you guys. I actually did end up finding the missing puzzle piece. It was indeed that I needed FlashFire v53, but to make it run, I also had to apparently set my clock to February of 2013. I have no idea why that would allow FlashFire v53 to run, but I finally found it in post #5401 by @PePSiMaN on the thread.

Reactions: Ibuprophen

bilgerryan

Yeah it's just a security update I think Google Now Integration (Google Now on tap I think, I don't use it... I just use the browser) is the only thing really updated outside of that... Any other updates such as the Browser and Music Player can be done through the Play Store.

IWSJX5e.jpg

Reactions: Ibuprophen

Z4K101

Aug 29, 2016
If this can help you out:
I was on VFNK4 build rooted using KingoRoot (also tried to flash twrp and failed, I lost the stock recovery aswell), updated to PL1 (without unrooting) using Samsung SmartSwitch.
The custom splash screen is gone, used KingoRoot to root again (it failed the first time and did a couple of reboots then it succeeded on the second take), now everything is back to normal.
Just a question though, is it safe to install a custom Nougat ROM since Verizon is applying so much restrictions?

naveeddaft

Sep 27, 2015
Help me unroot

I need some help. I rooted my S4 with Kingroot and then unrooted it but I don't know if I unrooted properly since the Kingroot app is so ****, it crashed midway. However, if I use apps like rootchecker etc they tell me the phone isn't rooted. But I don't believe them either. My phone is a mess. It's working fine right now but I want to completely unroot my phone. And I want the latest 2017 update for Verizon S4. Any recommendations please? I want to try apps like Pokemon GO which I can't since they don't run on rooted phones. I want to get rid of root without actually making the effort to first know if my phone is even rooted currently or not. PLEASE H E L P

XDAkilla757

May 23, 2014
Blackwell
Unlocking bootloader after update?

So unless someone has found this already (because I haven't ) is it possible to unlock the bootloader after the new update? See attached photo

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-03-13-19-13.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-03-13-19-13.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 270

bilgerryan

So unless someone has found this already (because I haven't ) is it possible to unlock the bootloader after the new update? See attached photo
No. Not on anything after MDK. You can root without unlocking the bootloader though and flash ROMs with Flashfire (be sure to get v.53, newer versions don't play nice with this device).

IWSJX5e.jpg

Reactions: XDAkilla757

XDAkilla757

May 23, 2014
Blackwell
So after installing flash fire .v53 it says I don't have root but I do, because I have other applications that use it. Any ideas? I rooted using kingroot.

bilgerryan

So after installing flash fire .v53 it says I don't have root but I do, because I have other applications that use it. Any ideas? I rooted using kingroot.
You have to have SuperSU to use FlashFire. You can use "SuperSU me" from the Play Store. It costs money but it's worth it if you plan on using this device for awhile. You can also unroot with King Root and use the Wondershare Go application in a PC. It's free, but it only has a 5 day trial.

IWSJX5e.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: XDAkilla757

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is it possible to use flashfire to flash the 14.1 Lineage OS rom to this device on GPL1?
    No, the kernel will make it so it doesn't boot. Have to stick to custom TouchWiz ROMs unless you have MDK bootloader.

IWSJX5e.jpg
    Hey guys, I just got bricked by the OTA as well. 6 months or so ago I flashed the old kernel (OC1 I believe?) and then rooted with kingoroot or whatever. That was a mistake... all kinds of security notices and other weird sh*t that i didn't have time to deal with. So I used kingoroot to remove the root and flashed back OF1 or whatever was current. Still had the custom boot screen which was annoying but I thought I was back to normal... evidently that wasn't the case. Kind of salty right now because I probably just lost all of my data...I guess that's my lesson for getting a Samsung and attempting to make it usable. Currently I cannot get into safe or recovery mode: when i press the volume up and power it just takes me back to the "installing system update" and then "error!!". If anyone knows a way for me to get back in it would be greatly appreciated. If not, does anyone know which version firmware to install and where I could find it?

You need to hold volume down and power, then use Odin to reflash to OF1. That is what I just did.

sammobile(dot)com/firmwares/download/53590/I545VRUGOF1_I545VZWGOF1_VZW/

I literally bought a brand new S4 last week and, just two days ago, got it rooted and updated to OF1.

The S4 hasn't had an update in years! It gets an update now?

And, of course, it's pretty much a useless update. Would it kill them to MM the S4?

Verizon sucks. Really―I didn't even need to type that. "Verizon sucks" is just perpetually the predictive text on my keyboard.
    I did get root for A minute on this gpl1 build.
    I had installed this gpl1 using the OP's update.zip in Stock Recovery, root checker showed I was rooted after A few goes with KingRoot PC.
    Wondershare had failed to root even after about 30 Minutes.

Be warned that my system kept crashing after A failed attempt to replace KingRoot with SuperSU then rebooting. Kingroot has done that to me before. I never figured out how to fix that situation.
    So if anyone knows how to not break everything after rooting with kingroot, then it roots that way.
    Or keep trying with wondershare, or any other method.

I was suprisingly able to flash OF1 with Odin from GPL1 to fix the phone. I will probably wait for Wondershare Root to work on GPL1.

Interesting that the update (GPL1) included A new kernel version from December 2016. It seemed snappier.

I had the same issue with replacing KingRoot with SuperSU and i just unninstalled kingroot and i downloaded kingroot 4.1 then i rooted the phone again with it and then i replaced it with supersu and no errors everything was smooth i am on OC1