2. Download and install Towelroot-v3.apk(this version does not require internet access).
3. Place your phone into "Download Mode" (press and hold the Home, Volume Down, and Power keys until the phone powers on and displays warning screen, then press Volume Up key).
4. Flash the I545_NC5_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
5. Root using Towelroot-v3.apk.
6. Power off then boot into "Download Mode" again.
7. Flash the I545_NG6_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 also in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
8. Download SuperSU to manage root access. Done!
Should the NG6 ota update fail consider updating to NG6 by flashing the I545VRUFNG6 4.4.2 Full-Wipe Odin .tar then continuing from Step 2 above.
Notes & Credits:
1. After flashing the NC5 kernel your phone may run a little wonky and towelroot may not root on the first try. If that happens reboot and try towelroot once again. Once rooted and after flashing the NG6 kernel your phone will once again run like a champ!
2. Following the above process will not affect User Data or your Knox Warranty Flag.
3. Due to a known bug in the official NG6 OTA you may experience random re-boots after updating. Please see @Emoraax 's thread for the solution: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...-root-t2921584.
4. The most common cause of an Odin flash failure is a bad usb port or cable. Please check before reporting a failure.
5. Big thanks to @Surge1223 for giving me the idea of the kernel swap way back in the day. You will notice the date of the following post is way before NC5(KitKat) was even released for the I545: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=77
Original NG6 KeepRoot Method Post (Just putting this up here if anyone is interested. This method was developed back in the day at the suggestion of a very capable kernel dev).
Alternative Custom ROM Method:
1. Backup your User Data using Safestrap's Backup function.
2. Place the I545VRUFNG6_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip onto your ext-sdcard.
3. Reboot into Safestrap recovery then perform an "Advanced Wipe" and wipe everything but your ext-sdcard.
4. Flash the I545VRUFNG6_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip using "Stock Slot."
5. Once complete press "Home" then reboot into "Download Mode."
6. Flash the I545_NG6_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 in Odin's PDA slot (AP in Odin v3.09+).
7. Reboot into Safestrap recovery and use the Restore Function to restore User Data. Done!
8. **Optional** Reboot into Safestrap recovery and flash the I545_De-Knox_NG6.zip to remove applicable Knox files which cause the random re-boots(Do Not Wipe Prior to Flashing!)
Notes & Credits:
1. The I545VRUFNG6_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery to NG6 but does not include the NG6 Bootloader.
2. Big Thanks to @rebel1699! and the following guys for developing the above method. You will notice the date of their post is way before NC5(KitKat) was even released for the I545: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post51067706