[How-To] Root I545VRUFNG6

3,257 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,006

By muniz_ri, Senior Member on 15th October 2014, 02:24 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
1. Take the NG6 OTA update (should the ota update fail see troubleshooting section below).
2. Download and install Towelroot-v3.apk(this version does not require internet access).
3. Place your phone into "Download Mode" (press and hold the Home, Volume Down, and Power keys until the phone powers on and displays warning screen, then press Volume Up key).
4. Flash the I545_NC5_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
5. Root using Towelroot-v3.apk.
6. Power off then boot into "Download Mode" again.
7. Flash the I545_NG6_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 also in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
8. Download SuperSU to manage root access. Done!
Troubleshooting:
Should the NG6 ota update fail consider updating to NG6 by flashing the I545VRUFNG6 4.4.2 Full-Wipe Odin .tar then continuing from Step 2 above.

Notes & Credits:
1. After flashing the NC5 kernel your phone may run a little wonky and towelroot may not root on the first try. If that happens reboot and try towelroot once again. Once rooted and after flashing the NG6 kernel your phone will once again run like a champ!
2. Following the above process will not affect User Data or your Knox Warranty Flag.
3. Due to a known bug in the official NG6 OTA you may experience random re-boots after updating. Please see @Emoraax 's thread for the solution: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...-root-t2921584.
4. The most common cause of an Odin flash failure is a bad usb port or cable. Please check before reporting a failure.
5. Big thanks to @Surge1223 for giving me the idea of the kernel swap way back in the day. You will notice the date of the following post is way before NC5(KitKat) was even released for the I545: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=77

KeepRoot Method
Original NG6 KeepRoot Method Post (Just putting this up here if anyone is interested. This method was developed back in the day at the suggestion of a very capable kernel dev).

Alternative Custom ROM Method:
1. Backup your User Data using Safestrap's Backup function.
2. Place the I545VRUFNG6_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip onto your ext-sdcard.
3. Reboot into Safestrap recovery then perform an "Advanced Wipe" and wipe everything but your ext-sdcard.
4. Flash the I545VRUFNG6_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip using "Stock Slot."
5. Once complete press "Home" then reboot into "Download Mode."
6. Flash the I545_NG6_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 in Odin's PDA slot (AP in Odin v3.09+).
7. Reboot into Safestrap recovery and use the Restore Function to restore User Data. Done!
8. **Optional** Reboot into Safestrap recovery and flash the I545_De-Knox_NG6.zip to remove applicable Knox files which cause the random re-boots(Do Not Wipe Prior to Flashing!)

Notes & Credits:
1. The I545VRUFNG6_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery to NG6 but does not include the NG6 Bootloader.
2. Big Thanks to @rebel1699! and the following guys for developing the above method. You will notice the date of their post is way before NC5(KitKat) was even released for the I545: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post51067706
The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to muniz_ri For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift muniz_ri Ad-Free
15th October 2014, 02:25 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5,006

Donate to Me
More
reserved
The Following User Says Thank You to muniz_ri For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift muniz_ri Ad-Free
15th October 2014, 02:32 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri

1. Take the NG6 OTA update.
2. **Important**Download and install Towelroot-v3.apk(internet access not required).
3. Place your phone into "Download Mode" (press and hold the Home, Volume Down, and Power keys until the phone powers on and displays warning screen, then press Volume Up key).
4. Flash the I545_NC5_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
5. Root using Towelroot-v3.apk.
6. Power off then boot into "Download Mode" again.
7. Flash the I545_NG6_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 also in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+). Done!

Notes:
1. After flashing the NC5 kernel your phone may run a little wonky, e.g. extreme lag, no wifi, etc., and towelroot may not root on the first try. If that happens reboot and try towelroot once again. Once rooted and after flashing the NG6 kernel your phone will once again run like a champ!
2. Following the above process will not affect User Data.

Important!: Only use the files contained in this guide and follow all of the above steps in the order provided. Do not skip any steps, or you may encounter issues with your device.

Works! Thanks again, man.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to asalkowskineo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift asalkowskineo Ad-Free
15th October 2014, 03:30 AM |#4  
Flag Chapel Hill
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Confirmed working.
15th October 2014, 05:13 AM |#5  
Flag Akron, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 148

More
Method works fine.
15th October 2014, 11:53 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
AWESOME!!!! Thank you. Worked perfectly.
The Following User Says Thank You to robthefive0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift robthefive0 Ad-Free
15th October 2014, 04:05 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
For whatever reason my Settings crashes everytime I check for an update. Does anybody have the ota file (or a method for doing this without the ota)?
15th October 2014, 05:48 PM |#8  
Flag Arizona
Thanks Meter: 151

More
Had to fight thru some boot looping after flashing the NC5 kernel, finally got to Towelroot between boots and activated. Flashed the NG6 kernel and all seems to be good! Downloaded and installed SuperSU and installed TB and it works! Time to do a little debloating! Many thanks!!!
15th October 2014, 08:23 PM |#9  
Flag Macon, Georgia
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbf2000

For whatever reason my Settings crashes everytime I check for an update. Does anybody have the ota file (or a method for doing this without the ota)?

I need it too, please.
15th October 2014, 09:45 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
How do you do this if your on nc5 and currently rooted by towelroot? Please post the process new at this. Thanks
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread