FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Anyone keep their phone naked, and notnuse a case?

1,501 posts
Thanks Meter: 226

By tikay00, Senior Member on 6th June 2016, 08:30 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd June 2016, 09:05 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Definitely a case for me ... Otter Box
Started off without one till i dropped it and broke the front glass. After months of seeing it damaged i replaced the glass myself then ordered an Otter Box case. Sure it adds bulk but at least i don't worry too much about it falling again. It took a tumble from the top of the stairs the other day and no damage, I thought for sure it was a done deal when i watched it tumble faster as it went down.
The glass replacement wasn't as hard i had thought it would be especially using the 3rd party adhesive and i must say the screen feels stronger than the original. I do agree however it is a sleek phone without a case but too slippery to leave unprotected IMO

22nd June 2016, 10:59 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 180

More
Otter box cases are unnecessarily bulky imo, but there we go.
24th June 2016, 04:49 PM |#13  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skezza

I can't remember the last phone I owned where I didn't use a case. In fact, when I purchased my Nexus 4, I actually forgot to order a case, and when it arrived, I flat out refused to take it out the house before the case arrived.

I wouldn't consider myself clumsy, but accidents do happen and they usually involve my mobile phone. I always buy the same case, a plastic/silicone TPU case from eBay, and they range from 99p to about £3. I never spend more than that. This is the case I bought for mine:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Slim...euYRiFrqhugqKQ

I won't buy the hard shell cases because the aim is to absorb the impact. A hard shell case will simply distribute it elsewhere and therefore either the case will crack (causing damage to the phone) or the impact will simply transfer through into the phone itself causing pretty much the same amount of damage that you might get if you didn't have a case at all. A TPU case will genuinely absorb impact and protect your phone. I am lucky enough to say that from experience. I dropped my Galaxy S1 down a terrace at a football match (soccer) and while the case itself was scratched, the phone remained totally unscratched. I've dropped my S4 numerous times out the door of my car (usually falls out my pocket) and so far, there has been no damage to the phone itself, although that said I think the front camera has perhaps started to play up, so perhaps that's been caused by repeated drops, but it's nothing that can't be repaired for cheap and ultimately, the screen is still alive and looking gorgeous and that's the expensive part to replace.

My girlfriend dropped her uncased Nokia Lumia 900 once on a hard wood floor. The screen was smashed and the phone was never quite the same afterwards (I think there was some damage to the accelerometer). My friend has smashed many many iPhones by not keeping them in cases (it only takes one drop). I am yet to smash a phone despite repeated efforts.

One last thing, if you do buy a TPU case, make sure there is a lip. That will add a huge amount of protection to the screen. No lip, no real protection offered to the glass.

Dual layer is the best way to go. Light, slim, and offer the most protection for the least amount of size.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Free mobile app
24th June 2016, 04:51 PM |#14  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3athd3al3r

Started off without one till i dropped it and broke the front glass. After months of seeing it damaged i replaced the glass myself then ordered an Otter Box case. Sure it adds bulk but at least i don't worry too much about it falling again. It took a tumble from the top of the stairs the other day and no damage, I thought for sure it was a done deal when i watched it tumble faster as it went down.
The glass replacement wasn't as hard i had thought it would be especially using the 3rd party adhesive and i must say the screen feels stronger than the original. I do agree however it is a sleek phone without a case but too slippery to leave unprotected IMO

Not only slippery, but just awkward to hold after a few minutes. Its way too thin and rectangular, instead of a square shape. They made the phone way too long, and not wide enough for adult hands to hold comfortably for more than a few minutes.

The design was FOR SURE made for a phone case to be put on it. I'm certain of this.

25th June 2016, 09:15 AM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
A battery cover with wireless charging made it better IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikay00

Not only slippery, but just awkward to hold after a few minutes. Its way too thin and rectangular, instead of a square shape. They made the phone way too long, and not wide enough for adult hands to hold comfortably for more than a few minutes.

The design was FOR SURE made for a phone case to be put on it. I'm certain of this.

Update: After purchasing a new battery cover that allows for wireless charging I ditched the OtterBox Deffender case since it wouldn't fit. Though still made of shiny plastic I feel its a better option than the stock cover because it's slightly thicker, adds weight, makes the phone feel more solid and offers better protection for the rear camera lens. I can see this as an option for anyone who is looking for an alternative to not wanting to cover it up with a case.
The Following User Says Thank You to d3athd3al3r For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift d3athd3al3r Ad-Free
26th June 2016, 07:44 AM |#16  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3athd3al3r

Update: After purchasing a new battery cover that allows for wireless charging I ditched the OtterBox Deffender case since it wouldn't fit. Though still made of shiny plastic I feel its a better option than the stock cover because it's slightly thicker, adds weight, makes the phone feel more solid and offers better protection for the rear camera lens. I can see this as an option for anyone who is looking for an alternative to not wanting to cover it up with a case.

Yeah, if I had a leather back cover, I'd probably use it without a case. I just need to order one. Even then, I don't know if it would be comfortable, because of the shape of the phone, and the physical dimensions.

1st July 2016, 08:34 AM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I never use a case or screen protectors because I want to feel the actual phone in my hand.
3rd July 2016, 07:16 AM |#18  
OP Senior Member

More
OK, been using this phone without a case for the past few days, and its butter. Can't go back to cades now lol. You guys were right.

10th July 2016, 07:11 AM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
butt ass naked here since it came out.
mother gifted me a case but it felt like I was holding a brick.
Ive dropped this thing 3,216,546,163 times and it still works fine.
last month though its not reading my sd card properly for some reason, so time to replace soon maybe.

cant submit an image to show you how banged up the sides are(not much surprisingly), no broken screen though.
10th July 2016, 07:25 AM |#20  
Alaska, (not Anchorage)
Thanks Meter: 25

More
No case, only a velcro pasty.
This is a very relevant thread. I finally broke the glass on my i9295 a month or so ago. The phone struck the corner of a solid object on the way down. I suspect that an Otter Box protective housing could have saved the screen. However, if I was going to be carrying around my phone in an Otterbox, I would not have a ruggedized IP67 rated phone like the i9295. I carry my phone almost naked with only a 2" x 3" swatch of fuzzy Velcro material stuck on the back. This allows me to stick the phone on the dash of my car or boat where I have a swatch of hookey Velcro material. I also do like the feeling of the fuzzy material on the back of the phone. Makes the phone feel less like a slick bar of soap. I do really like the idea of spraying the phone w/rubberized tool coating. BTW, I did finally just get around to replacing the glass a couple of days ago .
10th July 2016, 12:56 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Yeah I eep it naked because I f hate cases, so bumpy and big... But I am starting like aluminum bumpers tho
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)