FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

⚡S4 Unified Guides/Collection⚡

648 posts
Thanks Meter: 713

By Retrial, Senior Member on 9th September 2019, 11:50 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Welcome to S4 Unified Guides/Collection!

!DISCLAIMER!
Most people I know (including myself) who used my Guides and steps, did that with success many times. If you don't follow exactly the steps or you do a mistake during the process, I do not take any responsibility for any unexpected results or damage that may happen. However I am here to help if something goes wrong, just ask in the thread.

[GUIDES]
CLEAN & DIRTY FLASH STOCK OR CUSTOM ROM

COMPLETE GUIDE FOR THE BEST CLEAN INSTALL OF STOCK OR CUSTOM ROM FROM SCRATCH:

1*. Download the latest stock ROM (Firmware) for your variant from my COLLECTION or from here (doesn't really matter which country you will choose, just be sure to download the latest firmware for your variant), Modem & Bootloader (make sure it's the same version as your Firmware), the latest version of TWRP Recovery (you need the .tar file not the .image) and a windows program called Odin. [You can find specific links for each variant in my collection below in thread]
*Note:For Stock Rom to have your WiFi working you need to have the same version of Modem/BL as your Firmware. For example if you have QK1 Stock ROM then you need to have QK1 Modem/BL.
On Custom ROMs doesn't matter. You can have any Modem/BL of your variant you want but recommend is always the latest.

2*. If you are going to flash a Custom ROM, Download the Custom ROM you want, Pico or Nano Gapps, be sure you have selected Platform: ARM and the proper Android version of the ROM you are going to flash, (If the ROM you want to flash include GApps, no need to download and flash any GApps at all) and optional the latest Magisk if you are going to root. After you finished with downloads move your Custom ROM, GApps, Magisk to one folder in ur external sdcard. [You can find Recommened ROMs links for each variant in my collection below in thread]
*Note:Skip the step 2. if you are going to flash only Stock Rom.

3. Move Odin, Firmware, Modem & Bootloader and TWRP Recovery in one folder to your main hard drive in your PC (not in external driver).

4. Reboot your device to Download Mode (power button+vol.down+home button), run Odin from your PC as administrator, put the .tar file of TWRP Recovery to AP section and flash!

5*. Reboot your device to TWRP Recovery (power button+vol.up+home button), unplug your device from PC and close-exit Odin. Now on TWRP Recovery go to Advanced-File Manager-external_sd and delete all folders in ur ext sd card (For example you should delete: Android, .android_secure, LOST.DIR, DCIM, etc) except your personal files/folders and the folder with your custom ROM/Gapps/Magisk you want to flash.
*Note:Each app on your phone with the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission may create files or folders in ur sdcard. Most of these folders have once been created by one of these apps and many of them may be deleted with a few exceptions (e.g. Android, .data, .android_secure, these contain important system or app data like a game's downloaded content):
.android_secure: apps installed and then moved to sdcard
Android: app data/cache
data: app data
.estrongs: ES file manager
LOST.DIR: sort of trash folder (collects recovered files after phone crashes)
DCIM: phone gallery's photos and previews
OTA-update: Over The Air update service
ppy_cross: an unknown third-party app's data.
So I recommend to delete them so you can put your phone/sdcard in a clean state and is guaranteed to be able to re-create these folders.

6. Still on TWRP select Wipe-Format Data and type yes-then go back and press-Advanced Wipe-Select Dalvik / ART Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage, Cache and then Swipe to Wipe.

7. Next, Reboot to Download Mode (power button+vol.down+home button), run Odin as adminstrator from your PC, connect your device, put the Stock Rom (Firmware) file to AP section and flash it!

8. When Stock Rom is Flashed, Unplug your device, close-exit Odin, let the Rom boot and when it's done Turn Off your device.

9*. Now Reboot your device to Download Mode (power button+vol.down+home button), run Odin as adminstrator, connect your device to PC and follow one of the two methods below (Combined or Seperate Bootloader&Modem) to flash Bootloader & Modem: [You can find specific links for each variant in my collection below in thread]

First and RECOMMENDED Method COMBINED: Put the Combined Bootloader_Modem to AP section, untick Auto Reboot and flash! When It's done, reboot your device by pressing Power Button for couple of seconds.

Second Method SEPERATE: Put the Seperate Modem file to CP Section and Bootloader file to BL Section, untick Auto Reboot in options, flash them! When it's done, reboot your device by pressing Power Button for couple of secs.

Let the ROM boot and check what version of Modem and Bootloader you have with apps like Device Info HW or Phone Info.
If Modem & Bootloader didn't changed to the version you wanted, do the same steps again with the method you have selected.
If for some reason Odin failed to flash, make sure your run Odin as adminstrator, try to change USB Port in your PC and don't move the cable during flash. Also if you have Odin and the files on an external hard drive, move Odin and all the files you want to flash, into one folder to your main drive for example C: drive.

*Note:If you wanted only to flash stock ROM you done on step 9. If you have any problem with Force Close Apps etc go to Settings->Accounts->Backup and reset->Factory data reset or Reboot to Stock Recovery (power button+vol.up+home button) and do Factory reset from there.

10. Now Reboot to Download Mode once again and flash TWRP Recovery via Odin. (You put the .tar file in AP)

11. Reboot to TWRP (power button+vol.up+home button) and do the steps 5. and 6. Then flash your Custom ROM--->Pico or Nano GApps (If ROM doesn't include)--->optional Magisk if you want to root and Restart to System.

12. Let the ROM boot and Enjoy!

COMPLETE GUIDE TO CLEAN INSTALL A CUSTOM ROM NOT FROM SCRATCH:

1. Download the Custom ROM you want, Pico or Nano Gapps, be sure you have selected Platform: ARM and the proper Android version of the ROM you are going to flash, (If the ROM you want to flash include GApps, no need to download and flash any GApps at all) and optional the latest Magisk if you are going to root. After you finished with downloads move your Custom Rom, GApps, Magisk to one folder in ur external sdcard. [You can find Recommened ROMs links for each variant in my collection below in thread]

2. Download Odin, the latest version of TWRP Recovery (you need the .tar file not the .image) and move Odin and TWRP into one folder to your main driver on your PC. [You can find specific links for each variant in my collection below in thread]

3*. Reboot to Download Mode (power button+vol.down+home button), run Odin as adminstrator, connect your device to PC and flash TWRP Recovery via Odin. (You put the .tar file in AP)
*Note:Skip the step 2 and 3 if you already have TWRP Recovery installed.

4*. Reboot your device to TWRP Recovery (power button+vol.up+home button), go to Advanced-File Manager-external_sd and delete all folders in ur ext sd card (For example you should delete: Android, .android_secure, LOST.DIR, DCIM, etc) except your personal files/folders and the folder with your custom Rom/Gapps/Magisk you want to flash.
*Note:Each app on your phone with the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission may create files or folders in ur sdcard. Most of these folders have once been created by one of these apps and many of them may be deleted with a few exceptions (e.g. Android, .data, .android_secure, these contain important system or app data like a game's downloaded content):
.android_secure: apps installed and then moved to sdcard
Android: app data/cache
data: app data
.estrongs: ES file manager
LOST.DIR: sort of trash folder (collects recovered files after phone crashes)
DCIM: phone gallery's photos and previews
OTA-update: Over The Air update service
ppy_cross: an unknown third-party app's data.
So I recommend to delete them so you can put your phone/sdcard in a clean state and is guaranteed to be able to re-create these folders.

5. Now still on TWRP select Wipe-Format Data and type yes-then go back and press-Advanced Wipe-Select Dalvik / ART Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage, Cache and then Swipe to Wipe.

6. Next, flash your Custom ROM--->Pico or Nano GApps (If Rom doesn't include)--->optional Magisk if you want to root and Restart to System.

7. Let the ROM boot and Enjoy!

COMPLETE GUIDE TO DIRTY INSTALL OVER YOUR CUSTOM ROM:

Note: Before you start flashing, keep in mind the ROM you dirty flashing MUST be the same with the one you have already installed - For example you can't dirty flash AOSP ROM over custom based Stock ROM.

1. [Optional] Make a full nandroid backup, just in case something goes wrong. You can use TWRP to do that. (TWRP-->Backup-->Select everything)

2. Uninstall all Substratum overlays if you have any installed.

3. Remove Magisk root with Magisk Unistaller. (TWRP-->Flash the unistaller)

4. Reboot to TWRP and Wipe system, cache and art / dalvik.

5. Flash the ROM-->GApps-->Root Solution.

6. Reboot and Enjoy!

I've skipped some explanations, because if you are going to dirty flash, you already know for example how to boot to TWRP.

⬇️
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Retrial For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Retrial Ad-Free
9th September 2019, 11:50 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Athens

Donate to Me
More
[S4 UNIFIED COLLECTION]
FIRMWARES / MODEMS & BOOTLOADERS / TWRP/ GAPPS/ ROOT / PIT FILES / SAMSUNG DRIVER / ODIN / USEFUL APPS

FIRMWARES

Quick Tutorial:
Download the Firmware for your variant, run Odin as adminstrator, put the file with Firmware to AP section, Flash! Wait for the device to boot to system and Done!

Note: For Stock Rom to have your WiFi working you need to have the same version of Modem/BL as your Firmware. For example if you have QK1 Stock ROM then you need to have QK1 Modem/Bootloader. On Custom ROMs doesn't matter. You can have any Modem/BL of your variant you want but recommend is always the latest.

You can find the latest Firmware for your variant below:
  • GT-I9295 (jactivelte): I9295XXSDQD6 / Build Date: 2017-04-20 / OS: Lollipop 5.0.1
  • GT-I9500 (ja3gxx): I9500XXUHQD1 / Build Date: 2017-04-25 / OS: Lollipop 5.0.1
  • GT-I9505 (jfltexx): I9505XXUHQK1 / Build Date: 2017-11-09 / OS: Lollipop 5.0.1
  • GT-I9505G (jgedlte): I9505GUEUDPF1 / Build Date: 2016-05-13 / OS: Lollipop 5.1.1
  • GT-I9506 (ks01lte): I9506XXUDRB1 / Build Date: 2018-02-15 / OS: Lollipop 5.0.1
  • GT-I9515 (jfvelte): I9515XXS1BQD2 / Build Date: 2017-04-17 / OS: Lollipop 5.0.1
  • GT-I9515L (jfvelte): I9515LUBU1BQF1 / Build Date: 2017-06-08 / OS: Lollipop 5.0.1
  • SCH-I545 (jfltevzw): VERIZON USERS: since your bootloader is locked, you must be on the VRUAMDK
  • SCH-I545L (jfltelra): I545LWWSGQA1 / Build Date: 2017-01-05 / OS: Lollipop 5.0.1
  • SCH-R970 (jflteusc): R970TYSGPL1 / Build Date: 2016-12-02 / OS: Lollipop 5.0.1
  • SCH-R970C (jfltecri): R970CVRUFND1 / Build Date: 2014-04-11 / OS: KitKat 4.4.2
  • SCH-R970X (jfltecsp): R970XWWSGQA1 / Build Date: 2017-01-05 / OS: Lollipop 5.0.1
  • SGH-I337 (jflteatt): AT&T USERS: since your bootloader is locked, you must be on the UCUAMDB or UCUAMDL
  • SGH-I337M (jftlecan): I337MVLSGQB1 / Build Date: 2017-02-09 / OS: Lollipop 5.0.1
  • SGH-M919 (jfltemo): M919UVSFQA1 / Build Date: 2017-01-04 / OS: KitKat 4.4.4
  • SM-S975L (TracFone-StraightTalk): S975LUDUANB1 / Build Date: 2014-02-04 / OS: Jelly Bean 4.3
  • SPH-L720 (jfltespr): L720VPSGPL1 / Build Date: 2016-12-20 / OS: Lollipop 5.0.1

MODEMS & BOOTLOADERS

Quick Tutorial:
You can flash Bootloader & Modem with two methods:

First and Recommended Method COMBINED: Download the COMBINED BOOTLOADER _MODEM.tar, run Odin as administrator, put the COMBINED BOOTLOADER_MODEM.tar to AP section, untick Auto-Reboot, flash! When It's done, reboot your device by pressing Power Button for couple of seconds.

Second Method SEPERATE: Download the Seperate BOOTLOADER and MODEM .tars, run Odin as administrator, put the BOOTLOADER to BL section and MODEM to CP section, untick Auto-Reboot, flash! When It's done, reboot your device by pressing Power Button for couple of seconds.

Check what version of Modem and Bootloader you have with apps like Device Info HW or Phone Info.
If Modem & Bootloader didn't changed to the version you wanted, do the same steps again with the method you have selected.
If for some reason Odin failed to flash, make sure your run Odin as adminstrator, try to change USB Port in your PC and don't move the cable during flash. Also if you have Odin and the files on an External hard drive, move Odin and all the files you want to flash, into one folder to your Main Drive for example C: drive.

Note: For Stock Rom to have your WiFi working you need to have the same version of Modem/BL as your Firmware. For example if you have QK1 Stock ROM then you need to have QK1 Modem/Bootloader. On Custom ROMs doesn't matter. You can have any Modem/BL of your variant you want but recommend is always the latest.

You can find the latest Bootloader & Modem for your variant below:

TWRP

Quick Tutorial:
Installation Process:
  • Without any custom recovery installed on your device: Download the .tar file of the TWRP to your PC.
    Reboot to Download Mode (power button+vol.down+home button), run Odin as adminstrator, connect your device to PC, put the .tar file of TWRP in AP section and flash.
    Done! Restart to TWRP Recovery. (power button+vol.up+home button)
  • With TWRP already installed to your device (UPDATE to latest version): Download the .img file of the TWRP version you have selected.
    Reboot to TWRP (power button+vol.up+home button) and press Install--->Install Image--->Navigate to .img file you downloaded before---->Flash.
    Done!
The list below contains the variants which can use the latest Unified Official TWRP Recovery or JDCTeam TWRP Recovery:
  • GT-I9505 (jfltexx)
  • GT-I9505G (jgedlte)
  • GT-I9507 (jtfddxx)
  • GT-I9508 (jfltezm)
  • SCH-I545 (jfltevzw)
  • SCH-I545L (jfltelra)
  • SCH-R970 - jflteusc
  • SCH-R970C (jfltecri)
  • SCH-R970X (jfltecsp)
  • SGH-I337M (jftlecan)
  • SGH-M919 (jfltemo)
  • SM-S975L (TracFone-StraightTalk)
  • SPH-L720 (jfltespr)
The list below contains the variants which need a specific TWRP Recovery version:

GAPPS

Quick Tutorial:
You should always use Pico or Nano GApps, be sure you have selected Platform: ARM and the proper Android version of the ROM you are going to flash. If the ROM you want to flash include GApps, no need to download and flash any GApps at all.

ROOT SOLUTION

Quick Tutorial:
The easiest way to root your device is via Magisk, it should work in all ROMs, Stock and Customs.
However if you are gonna use ROM based on LineageOS and don't want to use any Magisk Module, recommended is to use the LineageOS AddonSU.
  • Steps to Root via Magisk:
    1. Download the latest Magisk version.
    2. Reboot to TWRP Recovery (power button+vol.up+home button) and flash the .zip you have downloaded.
    3. Done. Magisk Manager App should be installed, if not install it manually.

Steps to Unroot Magisk:
    1. Download the latest Unistaller Magisk version.
    2. Reboot to TWRP Recovery (power button+vol.up+home button) and flash the .zip you have downloaded.
    3. Done. Magisk Manager App should be also unistalled.

• Steps to Root via LineageOS SU Addon if you use LineageOS ROM.
    1. Download the LineageOS AddonSU and select arm and the proper android version of the rom you have.
    2. Reboot to TWRP Recovery (power button+vol.up+home button) and flash the .zip you have downloaded. Next, Reboot to System.
    3. Go to Settings--->About Phone--->Tap 7 times in Build Number to Enable Developer Options. Then go Settings--->System--->Developer Options--->Enable Root from there--->Done!

Steps to Unroot via LineageOS AddonSU Unistaller.
    1. Download the LineageOS AddonSU Unistaller and select arm and the proper android version of the rom you have.
    2. Reboot to TWRP Recovery (power button+vol.up+home button) and flash the .zip you have downloaded. Next, Reboot to System.
    3. Go Settings--->System--->Developer Options--->Disable Root from there--->Done!

PIT FILES

Quick Tutorial:
If you messed the partitions of your device, you can fix it by simply flashing the PIT FILE for your variant via Odin in the PIT TAB.

The list below contains PIT FILES for some variants:

SAMSUNG USB DRIVER

Quick Tutorial:
If you have a problem while you connect the device to your PC and PC can't recognize it, you may miss the Samsung USB DRIVER. To fix follow these steps:
1. Download SAMSUNG USB DRIVER.
2. Unzip it and install it to your PC.
3. Connect your device and done! Now should be ok.

ODIN

You can download ODIN HERE. Recommened version is Odin 3.12.3

USEFUL APPS

RECOMMENDED ROMS

Recommend ROMs for the variants below, are any of JDCTeam ROMs or Official LineageOS 16.0
  • GT-I9505 (jfltexx)
  • GT-I9505G (jgedlte)
  • GT-I9507 (jtfddxx)
  • GT-I9508 (jfltezm)
  • GT-I9515 (jfvelte)
  • GT-I9515L (jfvelte)
  • SCH-I545 (jfltevzw) VERIZON USERS: since your bootloader is locked, you must be on the VRUAMDK
  • SCH-I545L (jfltelra)
  • SCH-R970 - jflteusc
  • SCH-R970C (jfltecri)
  • SCH-R970X (jfltecsp)
  • SGH-I337 (jflteatt) AT&T USERS: since your bootloader is locked, you must be on the UCUAMDB or UCUAMDL
  • SGH-I337M (jftlecan)
  • SGH-M919 (jfltemo)
  • SM-S975L (TracFone-StraightTalk)
  • SPH-L720 (jfltespr)
Recommened ROMs for the variants below are:

SUPPORT THE DEVELOPERS WHO KEEPING S4 ALIVE
[Side -> Support🍻] [Buff99 -> Support🍻]

If you've found my Guides/Collection useful please hit "Thanks" and "Rate" to my thread and if you want to support me consider a Donation🍻
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Retrial For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Retrial Ad-Free
9th September 2019, 11:51 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Athens

Donate to Me
More
reserved
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Retrial For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Retrial Ad-Free
15th September 2019, 11:05 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3,867

Donate to Me
More
Great job, my friend!
The Following User Says Thank You to sjamie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sjamie Ad-Free
15th September 2019, 11:16 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Athens

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamie

Great job, my friend!

Thanks a lot bro!
The Following User Says Thank You to Retrial For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Retrial Ad-Free
18th September 2019, 07:31 PM |#6  
Flag Београд (Beograd/Belgrade/Griechisch Weißenburg/Alba Graeca; Alba Bulgarica)
Thanks Meter: 2,228

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrial

reserved

You should mention that downloading and installing of g-apps is not necessary in most cases. F-Droid is a really good alternative market. And if you still need apps not available on f-droid you may use yalp or aurora...
And if you depend on some google services microG may be a good solution for you, especially in the flavour of NanoDroid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guest4711 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guest4711 Ad-Free
19th September 2019, 12:17 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Athens

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4711

You should mention that downloading and installing of g-apps is not necessary in most cases. F-Droid is a really good alternative market. And if you still need apps not available on f-droid you may use yalp or aurora...
And if you depend on some google services microG may be a good solution for you, especially in the flavour of NanoDroid.

Hi,

For an average user, GApps is recommended so the device can be fully functional with access to the main Google Play market and to avoid "issues". For example, push notifications to work in Pie need Google Services etc.

I agree, F-Droid is a good alternative market but some apps may missing from there. About microG and NanoDroid I am not a fun.
However, I want to mention the alternatives options but unfortunately I have hit the maximum words I can contain to OP. I am thinking to split OP to two posts but I am not sure yet, I will see how I will do it.

Btw at reserved posts, will be included Battery Save tips and more.

Thanks for your suggestions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Retrial For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Retrial Ad-Free
19th September 2019, 04:10 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
In your lists of variants (bootloader etc.), I don't see SM-S975L. Has this variant been dropped?
The Following User Says Thank You to LaughingDog9 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LaughingDog9 Ad-Free
19th September 2019, 05:00 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Athens

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingDog9

In your lists of variants (bootloader etc.), I don't see SM-S975L. Has this variant been dropped?

Sry if I miss it, there are so many variants...
Thanks for mention it, I will take a look and I will add it soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retrial For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Retrial Ad-Free
19th September 2019, 05:13 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrial

Sry if I miss it, there are so many variants...
Thanks for mention it, I will take a look and I will add it soon.

No worries! I can see it's a big task to keep track of everything!

Thanks for all of your efforts, and the help those efforts bring to us all.
The Following User Says Thank You to LaughingDog9 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LaughingDog9 Ad-Free
3rd October 2019, 11:57 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Sorry. In my school they only taught Russian, but there are translators. Stupid to ask but have to. I have s4 9505 variable modem and bootloder from I9505XXUHOJ2 to XXUHQK1. Now I don't have LTE only EDGE. I know for you builders to laugh and for me a riddle so I am asking builders for a tip that I would come back to LTE.
Wi-fi enabled is ok, just outside edge
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)