[Q] ODIN fails at 'system.img.ext4' - 4.3 with KNOX bootloader

Search This thread

orchid18

Oct 28, 2013
ODIN keeps failing at 'system.img.ext4' - 4.3 with KNOX bootloader

Hi guys

I've recently tried to flash a 4.3 stock rom via Odin and it failed, and I now have a bricked phone that has this warning:

PHONE-----YELLOW TRIANGLE----- COMPUTER

'Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again"

I tried to flash the latest KNOX bootloader roms via ODIN to boot up the phone, however....

ODIN keeps hanging on the "system" flashing command and goes to a red "fail". It won't start flashing "system.img.ext4.... etc"

I've tried all versions of ODIN and all version of 4.3

I can't use any 4.2.2 roms as the phone only seems to accept 4.3 stock roms now.

Do you guys know why ODIN keeps failing at flashing 'system.img.ext4' ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Reactions: Bunrin

orchid18

Oct 28, 2013
how to fix odin fail

Hey guys

I found a way to fix my ODIN flashing errors (with system.img.ext4)

Install SAMSUNG USB drivers from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2038555

Make sure you are NOT using VMWare Fusion on Mac OS X.

Bootcamp your Mac if you have to (with 64 bit Windows 7 preferably), or borrow a friends' Windows laptop.

My biggest mistake was running VMWare Fusion on Mac OS X - the new KNOX bootloader/roms doesn't like being flashed on virtual Windows PC

Odin flash PDA should work perfectly fine now :)

I finally saved my phone from being a brick after 36 hours!!!!

iw-man

Jan 10, 2009
Thanks for this - I too was attempting to do this using VM Fusion. Sorted once I flashed on a non virtual machine.

dmalikyar

Aug 24, 2012
VMWare Fusion

I had the exact same issue using Odin from VMWare Fusion. Since I didn't have a PC handy, I had Parallels installed on my other mac. I was able to successfully flash the new ROM via my Parallels VM.

Al_Jourgensen

Feb 12, 2014
I have the same problem but in windows

Hello community

can someone get me some instructions to solve this on a windows 8.1 notebook

S4 mini I9195 - Spanish Vodafone phone, flagged already with KNOX 0x1

4.2.2. android

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

schwiz

Jul 3, 2009
I had the exact same issue using Odin from VMWare Fusion. Since I didn't have a PC handy, I had Parallels installed on my other mac. I was able to successfully flash the new ROM via my Parallels VM.!

Oh Geez! Wish I had found this post hours ago...

Last edited:

felipescabral

Jun 25, 2014
Thank so much!

Hey guys

Install SAMSUNG USB drivers from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2038555

Bootcamp your Mac if you have to (with 64 bit Windows 7 preferably), or borrow a friends' Windows laptop.

My biggest mistake was running VMWare Fusion on Mac OS X - the new KNOX bootloader/roms doesn't like being flashed on virtual Windows PC

very nice! Thank! This worked for me. After 7 hours make trying recover my mini s4!

moamh1

Apr 20, 2010
Hey guys

I have the same problem with my s5 mini (dual sim) sm-g800H, Odin fails just when it starts system.img.ext4. Any help with this, i have tried it on a couple of Windows 7 pcs using different USB cables and different Odin versions, any idea how to solve this?

AbdoAdel

Mar 25, 2014
Al-Minya , Egypt
Kitkat

if you have installed Stock Kitkat or Custom 4.4.2 Touchwiz rom [some roms support rolling back and others don't], you won't be able to roll back to 4.3 . i had this problem when i tried to roll back to 4.3 from 4.4.2

Fix : install latest Kitkat firmware

Zaraee

Mar 9, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hello community

can someone get me some instructions to solve this on a windows 8.1 notebook

S4 mini I9195 - Spanish Vodafone phone, flagged already with KNOX 0x1

4.2.2. android

Thank you in advance

1.install samsung usb driver
2. find your mobile model and download single .tar image from sammobile
3. flash through odin(tick only F.reset time and auto reboot)

dayres

Nov 3, 2014
Odin Fail with VMWare Fusion on Mac: The below worked for me

This post is late to this thread: Wanted to share what worked for me for Verizon SCH-I545 Samsung Galaxy S4:

* Used Windows 7 on VMWare Fusion 7.0.1 on MacBook Air; Odin 3.09
* Experienced same Odin failure for "system.img.ext4" during process; this fixed it.
* Change Fusion USB Settings: Close Windows but not Fusion. Go to "Fusion Settings/USB & Bluetooth". Go to "Advanced USB options" and select "USB Compatibility" USB 1.1.
* Restart Fusion and restart Windows.
* I used TAR file "I545VRUFNC5_I545VZWFNC5_I545VRUFNC5_HOME.tar.md5" inside downloadable file "I545VRUFNC5_I545VZWFNC5_VZW" which was downloaded from URL: sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SCH-I545
* Note: I joined this website for 1 week to take advantage of faster download speeds. I tried without joining and the download timed out before the download was completed. Speed was much faster with membership.
* Prep phone for download by pressing 3-buttons "Power-Home-Volume Down". Note: Be sure to hold down the "Volume Down" portion of the button and not the complete Volume button. Press Volume Up when prompted on screen by the phone.
* Start Odin 3.0.9
* Plug in phone using USB cable that came with phone. Other cables may work - but I don't know.
* Odin will indicate that the phone was "Added"
* Be sure to select in Odin the Options "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time". Select "AP" and go to file to add: "I545VRUFNC5_I545VZWFNC5_I545VRUFNC5_HOME.tar.md5"
* Adding this file takes a few seconds. Once added click "Start"
* The process seemed to take quite a bit of time, likely due to it being a USB 1.1 but it eventually took.
* Once it "Passed" in Odin the phone was on the red Verizon screen for about 3 minutes and then indicated it was updating the apps
* Once apps were updated the phone was in startup mode
* It worked fine and was back to normal.
* Close Windows, and reset Fusion USB settings back to USB 2.0.
* Note: I use USB 2.0 settings in Fusion as Windows 7 doesn't recognize USB 3.0 and Windows (in Windows Explorer) has difficulties, when USB 3.0 is selected, recognizing many connected USB devices even though Fusion indicates these devices are connected.

Hope this works. Thanks to the many folks on this thread and in this forum who assisted me in determining a solution.

Reactions: norbertom

Swapnil Soni

Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2015
Ahmedabad
I'm still having that problem.

Hey guys

i have downloaded drivers but this time when that fails. it just moved little bit :eek: but still fails :(

betongxda

Jul 28, 2017
i have downloaded drivers but this time when that fails. it just moved little bit :eek: but still fails :(

Hi guys

I've recently tried to flash a 4.3 stock rom via Odin and it failed, and I now have a bricked phone that has this warning:

'Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again"

I tried to flash the latest KNOX bootloader roms via ODIN to boot up the phone, however....

ODIN keeps hanging on the "system" flashing command and goes to a red "fail". It won't start flashing "system.img.ext4.... etc"

I can't use any 4.2.2 roms as the phone only seems to accept 4.3 stock roms now.

I finally get rid of this after several hours of searching. for me im flashing the 4 files, after failed flashing, ive red from somewhere to rename the phone/cp file, by removing .md5, then extracting modem.bin to put in cp box(odin), then flash success, then reboot samsung to download mode again the flash the last csc file, finally saw the progress bar.

xdaDevOp

Oct 2, 2017
Worked for me too, thanks!!! Was trying to install using Odin v3.12.3 in VMware Workstation on Windows 10.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    how to fix odin fail

Hey guys

Hi guys

I Just flash the PIT file form 4.2.2 after flash 4.3 and everything is ok.

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9506 przy użyciu Tapatalka
    Odin Fail with VMWare Fusion on Mac: The below worked for me

This post is late to this thread: Wanted to share what worked for me for Verizon SCH-I545 Samsung Galaxy S4:

* Used Windows 7 on VMWare Fusion 7.0.1 on MacBook Air; Odin 3.09
    * Experienced same Odin failure for "system.img.ext4" during process; this fixed it.
    * Change Fusion USB Settings: Close Windows but not Fusion. Go to "Fusion Settings/USB & Bluetooth". Go to "Advanced USB options" and select "USB Compatibility" USB 1.1.
    * Restart Fusion and restart Windows.
    * I used TAR file "I545VRUFNC5_I545VZWFNC5_I545VRUFNC5_HOME.tar.md5" inside downloadable file "I545VRUFNC5_I545VZWFNC5_VZW" which was downloaded from URL: sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SCH-I545
    * Note: I joined this website for 1 week to take advantage of faster download speeds. I tried without joining and the download timed out before the download was completed. Speed was much faster with membership.
    * Prep phone for download by pressing 3-buttons "Power-Home-Volume Down". Note: Be sure to hold down the "Volume Down" portion of the button and not the complete Volume button. Press Volume Up when prompted on screen by the phone.
    * Start Odin 3.0.9
    * Plug in phone using USB cable that came with phone. Other cables may work - but I don't know.
    * Odin will indicate that the phone was "Added"
    * Be sure to select in Odin the Options "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time". Select "AP" and go to file to add: "I545VRUFNC5_I545VZWFNC5_I545VRUFNC5_HOME.tar.md5"
    * Adding this file takes a few seconds. Once added click "Start"
    * The process seemed to take quite a bit of time, likely due to it being a USB 1.1 but it eventually took.
    * Once it "Passed" in Odin the phone was on the red Verizon screen for about 3 minutes and then indicated it was updating the apps
    * Once apps were updated the phone was in startup mode
    * It worked fine and was back to normal.
    * Close Windows, and reset Fusion USB settings back to USB 2.0.
    * Note: I use USB 2.0 settings in Fusion as Windows 7 doesn't recognize USB 3.0 and Windows (in Windows Explorer) has difficulties, when USB 3.0 is selected, recognizing many connected USB devices even though Fusion indicates these devices are connected.

Hope this works. Thanks to the many folks on this thread and in this forum who assisted me in determining a solution.