Unlock Assistance [SOLVED]

Search This thread

roms4eva

Dec 22, 2016
Greetings, I have used your services a lot (different ROMS and tutorials) and appreciate all the effort the XDA community has provided to users of all levels. However now, I am unable to find the solution that I have been working on for quite some time.

For the last week or so, I have been trying my best to SIM unlock my S4. I know I could just ask my provider and save the headache of all this but I do find there is a great sense of accomplishment and learning when things are done yourself. I will list the phone's info below and the methods I have tried. I have ran multiple roms on this device: Stock --(wanted to be different)--> Slim ROM --(wanted to try something new)--> Resurrection --(had too many mic issues) --> CyanogenMod (now GPS doesn't work so I might try a new ROM)

S4 - SGH-i337M (jfltecan/jflte)... verified root
CyanogenMod version 11-20160815-NIGHTLY-jflte
Baseband version: I337MVLUGOH1
Build number: cm_jftle-userdebug 4.4.4 KTU84Q e2d38f60cf
Android 4.4.4
Kernal: 3.4.104-cyanogenmod-g8b03f0c
Recovery is via CWM

Locked Network info (via Phone INFO and SIM Card Information app):
Original CSC Code: FMC (Fido Canada)
Active CSC Code: FMC (Fido Canada)
The phone was bought from Fido a couple years back.
Network Operator Code: 302720 (Rogers Wireless - I think this what my Network atm is for emergency calls)

This is all the information I could get, please let me know if you need more info

I tried the popular method of doing this via ServiceMode by dialing #*0011# but nothing shows up on screen when I do that, the numbers don't even disappear (they just sit there taunting me); the same goes for *#197328640#. The only code that I have seen work is *#06# (IMEI). I looked up multiple android codes and either the numbers would stay and nothing would happen but sometimes the numbers would just disappear when i completed the code with no changes on the screen. I have downloaded and ran Service Mode Shortcut and Service Mode app and when I click ServiceMode on them, it says "Not Supported." in a little caption bubble at the bottom of the screen.

I then ran GalaxySim Unlock App and it states "Your device should be unlockable if you downgrade your baseband to MDJ or before. When I click on How to do it?, it pretty much asks me to download a stock version of my phone and try the app again.

I would like some advice on what steps I should take next.

Thank you for your time,
roms4eva

THE SOLUTION FOR ME:

Hi, I am going to leave a summary of what I did to fix my sim! Thanks to @audit13!

All the download links can either be found via google or on some on this thread. The link in post#2 has useful download links within it!
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP ALL YOUR IMPORTANT SELFIES, FILES, VIDEOS, ETC... My steps will require a clean installation, if you do not want a clean installation, just skip step 10 where you have to do a factory restart and just continue as is.

Short instructions - if you are already familiar with the content:
Flash 4.4.2 stock(.tar.md5), flash modem 4.2.2 (.bin) (if you can't, try another odin), flash TWRP (.zip), install SuperUS (.zip), install and run RegionLock Away 1.3 (.apk), reflash 4.4.2 or 5.0.1 if you wanna newer ROMs on.

Long instructions:
  1. Download Stock firmware of 4.4.2 for your provider (via Google)... extract it out until you get the .md5 file out (ie. I337MVLUFNE1_I337MOYAFNE2_I337MVLUFNE1_HOME.tar.md5)
  2. Download modem 4.2.2 for your provider (via post #2) (ie.modem.bin)
  3. Download TWRP (via post #2) (ie. twrp-3.0.2-0-jfltecan.img.tar)
  4. Download SuperUS.zip (via post #2) (ie. SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip) and put it onto your s4 storage (via MTP setting and USB debugging on)
  5. Download Regionlock Away 1.3.apk (via post #2) (ie. RegionLockAway-v1.3.apk) and put it onto your s4 storage (via MTP setting and USB debugging on)
  6. Download Odin v3.12.3 and/or v3.07 (via post#2 or Google) (if one does not work, ie. stays stuck in "file analysis...", try the other odin)
  7. Verify that Odin can recognize your device (plug s4 in via download mode status [Turn off, then hold Down + Power] and see if oden says "Added!!")
  8. Run Odin 3.12.3 w/ administrator powers, make sure your device is "Added!!", click AP and select the .md5 file you downloaded(its the 4.4.2 in step 1).
  9. Give Odin some time as it verifies the md5, then click start once that button is available. Then click start again once it says "Leave CS..." [this one took me an embarrassing two hours to figure out... LOL)
  10. Let the s4 boot up and then restart into recovery (turn off phone, then hold UP Volume + Power), and do a factory reset (select on factory reset/data wip and choose Yes)
  11. Restart the phone and go to download mode again (Down Volume + Power).
  12. Go back to Odin 3.12.3 with admin power and under CP select the modem file for your carrier (modem.bin) and click start. If you are stuck on file analysis... after doing this and it has been over one minute, close Odin 3.12.3 and try it with odin 3.07 with admin power... the modem.bin file goes into Phone section.
  13. While in download mode still, you could restart odin and flash the TWRP with any of the odin programs (odin 3.12 via AP section, or 3.07 via PDA)
  14. start the phone up in recovery mode (UP vol + power), click on install, then find the SuperUS.zip file and install it.
  15. Start the phone up normally with the SIM inside if you haven't put it in yet. (internet connection not required and it doesn't matter if SIM was in or not in the previous steps)
  16. Go to File Manager or File Explorer, find the RegionLockAway-v1.3.apk you put in and run it... make sure you enable the ability for apks to be manually installed.
  17. Go to apps and open the RegionLock Away app.... Click on Region Unlock button and grant it the superUS permissions it requires... then reboot!
  18. The SIM Network Unlock Pin should disappear and your phone is now SIM Unlocked! If it asks again, wait a minute and restart the phone. If that doesn't work, retry the steps or make a thread and someone might be able to help you out.
  19. Repeat step 8 again! You need to reflash! [note that this will remove your TWRP recovery, so reinstall that again like you did in step 13 if you want that. You will also lose root due to reflashing (so install superUS again)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: audit13

roms4eva

Dec 22, 2016
Do you recommend I go back to stock via samsung-updates id=SGH-I337M (selecting Galaxy S 4 (Canada) SGH-I337M FMC I337MVLUGOH1 Android 5.0.1 24.08.2015 4508315)

roms4eva

Dec 22, 2016
Flash back to stock 4.4.2, flash 4.2.2 modem, root, run regionlockaway, reflash stock 4.4.2, enjoy your sim unlocked phone. This may help: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=68889708&postcount=120

Btw, remove the imei from your post.

Thanks, I am currently doing as you have stated.

You also mentioned that I should install the regional unlock app. Will your method as well allow me to have my SIM unlocked? I am trying to use another carrier in another country (Saint Martin) and I am asked for my SIM unlock code.

Will I be able to use other Roms after this or am I stuck with 4.4.2 when I reflash?

Last edited:

HIS YB

Jun 12, 2015

You also mentioned that I should install the regional unlock app. Will your method as well allow me to have my SIM unlocked? I am trying to use another carrier in another country (Saint Martin) and I am asked for my SIM unlock code.

Will I be able to use other Roms after this or am I stuck with 4.4.2 when I reflash?
Yes it's a sim unlock method and you can use other roms as well

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Reactions: roms4eva

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
I used the method @audit13 described and unlocked my device without trouble. My device is an I9505 and ran on Straight Talk in the US, so you should have no problem with using the device as you wish. Once you get the device unlocked, you can run any ROM you want. In my case I run AOSP 7.1.1 without trouble.

roms4eva

Dec 22, 2016
Flash back to stock 4.4.2, flash 4.2.2 modem, root, run regionlockaway, reflash stock 4.4.2, enjoy your sim unlocked phone. This may help: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=68889708&postcount=120

Hi,

So I did everything you mentioned above. Should I consider my device Stock and unrooted but with SIM unlock? Am I free to install ROMS now?

When I boot up, it asks for my SIM network unlock PIN, as well it says I have an "Invalid SIM card (network locked SIM card inserted)". - should I try the *#0011# method? I have access to ServiceMode now it seems!

I have followed through w/ your instructions... is everything set now? The SIM card is from the Caribbeans and I will not know if it actually works until I arrive there on Jan 2 for schooling.

Android version: 4.4.2
Baseband version: i337MLUFNE1
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-1529758
Build number: KOT49H.I337MVLUFNE1

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
If you followed the instructions, you should not be prompted for a network unlock code. Are you prompted to enter a SIM pin or network pin?

roms4eva

Dec 22, 2016
if it helps:

UM7jFn4.png

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Something has gone wrong because you should not be b seeing that screen if the steps were followed. I have used this method to unlock about 7 sgh-i337m phones.

roms4eva

Dec 22, 2016
Yes, it should be. After flashing the modem, wi-fi and cell service won't work.

Hi, could you link me the 4.2.2 modem?

I am using this zip file found here (and flashed it via CWM on the 1st time i tried it) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2318233 and when i try to flash just the modem.bin via odin CP (1st time and now), it stays on the file analysis step and nothing happens. (I also restarted my phone and laptop). I know Odin works b/c i flashed the rom and twrp with it.

I think that may be the wrong one because upon cross checking with this link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2324667 , it seems like the 1st link is for puerto rico, not canada as it claimed.

Also, the download links on the 2nd link are not working... :(

Last edited:

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
You need to use the modem I linked. Puerto Rico and Canada have the same s4.

I checked the links and they work for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings, I have used your services a lot (different ROMS and tutorials) and appreciate all the effort the XDA community has provided to users of all levels. However now, I am unable to find the solution that I have been working on for quite some time.

For the last week or so, I have been trying my best to SIM unlock my S4. I know I could just ask my provider and save the headache of all this but I do find there is a great sense of accomplishment and learning when things are done yourself. I will list the phone's info below and the methods I have tried. I have ran multiple roms on this device: Stock --(wanted to be different)--> Slim ROM --(wanted to try something new)--> Resurrection --(had too many mic issues) --> CyanogenMod (now GPS doesn't work so I might try a new ROM)

S4 - SGH-i337M (jfltecan/jflte)... verified root
    CyanogenMod version 11-20160815-NIGHTLY-jflte
    Baseband version: I337MVLUGOH1
    Build number: cm_jftle-userdebug 4.4.4 KTU84Q e2d38f60cf
    Android 4.4.4
    Kernal: 3.4.104-cyanogenmod-g8b03f0c
    Recovery is via CWM

Locked Network info (via Phone INFO and SIM Card Information app):
    Original CSC Code: FMC (Fido Canada)
    Active CSC Code: FMC (Fido Canada)
    The phone was bought from Fido a couple years back.
    Network Operator Code: 302720 (Rogers Wireless - I think this what my Network atm is for emergency calls)

This is all the information I could get, please let me know if you need more info

I tried the popular method of doing this via ServiceMode by dialing #*0011# but nothing shows up on screen when I do that, the numbers don't even disappear (they just sit there taunting me); the same goes for *#197328640#. The only code that I have seen work is *#06# (IMEI). I looked up multiple android codes and either the numbers would stay and nothing would happen but sometimes the numbers would just disappear when i completed the code with no changes on the screen. I have downloaded and ran Service Mode Shortcut and Service Mode app and when I click ServiceMode on them, it says "Not Supported." in a little caption bubble at the bottom of the screen.

I then ran GalaxySim Unlock App and it states "Your device should be unlockable if you downgrade your baseband to MDJ or before. When I click on How to do it?, it pretty much asks me to download a stock version of my phone and try the app again.

I would like some advice on what steps I should take next.

Thank you for your time,
    roms4eva

THE SOLUTION FOR ME:

Hi, I am going to leave a summary of what I did to fix my sim! Thanks to @audit13!

All the download links can either be found via google or on some on this thread. The link in post#2 has useful download links within it!
    PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP ALL YOUR IMPORTANT SELFIES, FILES, VIDEOS, ETC... My steps will require a clean installation, if you do not want a clean installation, just skip step 10 where you have to do a factory restart and just continue as is.

Short instructions - if you are already familiar with the content:
    Flash 4.4.2 stock(.tar.md5), flash modem 4.2.2 (.bin) (if you can't, try another odin), flash TWRP (.zip), install SuperUS (.zip), install and run RegionLock Away 1.3 (.apk), reflash 4.4.2 or 5.0.1 if you wanna newer ROMs on.

Long instructions:
    1. Download Stock firmware of 4.4.2 for your provider (via Google)... extract it out until you get the .md5 file out (ie. I337MVLUFNE1_I337MOYAFNE2_I337MVLUFNE1_HOME.tar.md5)
    2. Download modem 4.2.2 for your provider (via post #2) (ie.modem.bin)
    3. Download TWRP (via post #2) (ie. twrp-3.0.2-0-jfltecan.img.tar)
    4. Download SuperUS.zip (via post #2) (ie. SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip) and put it onto your s4 storage (via MTP setting and USB debugging on)
    5. Download Regionlock Away 1.3.apk (via post #2) (ie. RegionLockAway-v1.3.apk) and put it onto your s4 storage (via MTP setting and USB debugging on)
    6. Download Odin v3.12.3 and/or v3.07 (via post#2 or Google) (if one does not work, ie. stays stuck in "file analysis...", try the other odin)
    7. Verify that Odin can recognize your device (plug s4 in via download mode status [Turn off, then hold Down + Power] and see if oden says "Added!!")
    8. Run Odin 3.12.3 w/ administrator powers, make sure your device is "Added!!", click AP and select the .md5 file you downloaded(its the 4.4.2 in step 1).
    9. Give Odin some time as it verifies the md5, then click start once that button is available. Then click start again once it says "Leave CS..." [this one took me an embarrassing two hours to figure out... LOL)
    10. Let the s4 boot up and then restart into recovery (turn off phone, then hold UP Volume + Power), and do a factory reset (select on factory reset/data wip and choose Yes)
    11. Restart the phone and go to download mode again (Down Volume + Power).
    12. Go back to Odin 3.12.3 with admin power and under CP select the modem file for your carrier (modem.bin) and click start. If you are stuck on file analysis... after doing this and it has been over one minute, close Odin 3.12.3 and try it with odin 3.07 with admin power... the modem.bin file goes into Phone section.
    13. While in download mode still, you could restart odin and flash the TWRP with any of the odin programs (odin 3.12 via AP section, or 3.07 via PDA)
    14. start the phone up in recovery mode (UP vol + power), click on install, then find the SuperUS.zip file and install it.
    15. Start the phone up normally with the SIM inside if you haven't put it in yet. (internet connection not required and it doesn't matter if SIM was in or not in the previous steps)
    16. Go to File Manager or File Explorer, find the RegionLockAway-v1.3.apk you put in and run it... make sure you enable the ability for apks to be manually installed.
    17. Go to apps and open the RegionLock Away app.... Click on Region Unlock button and grant it the superUS permissions it requires... then reboot!
    18. The SIM Network Unlock Pin should disappear and your phone is now SIM Unlocked! If it asks again, wait a minute and restart the phone. If that doesn't work, retry the steps or make a thread and someone might be able to help you out.
    19. Repeat step 8 again! You need to reflash! [note that this will remove your TWRP recovery, so reinstall that again like you did in step 13 if you want that. You will also lose root due to reflashing (so install superUS again)

Good luck!

Yes it's a sim unlock method and you can use other roms as well

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA-Developers mobile app
    I used the method @audit13 described and unlocked my device without trouble. My device is an I9505 and ran on Straight Talk in the US, so you should have no problem with using the device as you wish. Once you get the device unlocked, you can run any ROM you want. In my case I run AOSP 7.1.1 without trouble.
    You need to use the modem I linked. Puerto Rico and Canada have the same s4.

I checked the links and they work for me.