Search This thread

CastagnaIT

Recognized Developer
Feb 11, 2012
Venice
This guide help you to
install the Samsung Lollipop TouchWiz and get the root permissions
on Galaxy S4 GT-I9506

Do it on your own responsibility! and keep in mind that you will lose your warranty!​

Before you proceed, make sure:
1) You have installed your Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9506 USB drivers on your PC (the easiest way is to install Kies)
2) Your S4 should have 70-80% charge remaining.
3) Backup all your important data like Call logs, SMS and other data stored in phone memory in case if anything goes wrong, your data is not hurt
4) Make sure that Kies software is not running and disable your antivirus

Download the requirements:
Click on each one for download
-Odin software
-Recovery TWRP "flashable"
-SuperSu "flashable"
-Samsung Lollipop Firmware from SAMMOBILE (only if you have KitKat installed)

WARNING! I FOUND PROBLEMS WITH SOME SAMMOBILE FIRMWARE'S READ BELOW

The Czech Republic - ETL firmware (I9506XXUDOA6_I9506OXXDOA1), has WiFi broken
The Czech Republic (Vodafone) - VDC firmware (I9506XXUDOA6_I9506VFGDOA4), has wrong "Hidden" partition size

If you meet this problems you can download this official firmware from samsung updates site:
Greece - EUR firmware (I9506XXUDOAA_I9506EURDOB1)
BUILD DATE: 30.01.2015

How to install the firmware and root
If you already have the Lollipop firmware installed: Skip to the Step 8

NOTE: I racommend you to do the wipe of cache, dalvik cache, system, data partitions before proceeding,
this to prevent any problems with the apps (through recovery)

Step 1
Unzip the downloaded firmware, you will get a tar.md5 file.

Step 2
Turn OFF you mobile and go to Download Mode by pressing and holding the Power + Volume Down + Home Buttons.
together for few seconds followed by Power button then proceed with volume up.

Step 3
Now open ODIN on your PC and connect your Galaxy S4 to your computer.
Once your phone is successfully connected to your PC, the ID:COM box on ODIN will turn blue (or yellow) and will show the COM port number.

Step 4
Click on PDA (or AP) in Odin and choose the file ".tar.md5"

Step 5
Check "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" options and make sure that "Re-Partition" is unchecked

Step 6
Click on Start button in ODIN window to start the flashing process. The process will take few minutes to complete.

Step 7
When the installation is completed, you read a "Reset " then a "Pass". your phone will restart (first boot will take a longer time so don't panic)

> Step 8
now you have to do again all steps from Step 2, for flash the TWRP recovery needed for apply the ROOT,
the only difference is when you arrive on Step 4 you must have to choose the TWRP Recovery ".tar.md5" downloaded file

Step 9
Turn OFF you mobile and go to Recovery Mode by pressing and holding the Power + Volume Up + Home Buttons.

Step 10
Connect the mobile with USB and copy the "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.45.zip" in the SD

Step 11
Click on the "INSTALL" button, select "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.45.zip", and swipe to flash. After this reboot

Finish! Enjoy! :eek:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Odin troubleshooting: If Odin accidentally gives you "fail" try the following:
- Repeat the procedure.
- Make sure that all actions of Kies are disabled from task manager.
- Make sure the antivirus is disabled
- Change usb port.
- Try another usb cable (make sure it is the original).
- Try another Odin version.
- Uninstall and re-install the USB driver.
- Try another computer.

Titanium Backup does not recognize the root:
- Install Titanium Backup version 7.0+

Titanium Backup does not recognize external SD:
- Install SDFix app for applying the missing external SD card permissions

Thanks to samersh72 for the inspiration to create the guide

Last edited:

byanou69

Jan 6, 2007
Thx for this guide! What about Knox value after manual flash?

Envoyé de mon LG-V500 en utilisant Tapatalk

smeroni68

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 23, 2011
Milano
General Information:

CastagnaIT and my GT-I9506 devices are originally from ETL CSC... so Czech Republic firmware.

We found that the original ETL firmware has broken WiFi, and we discover that flashing the cache partition of Vodafone firmware has solved the issue... this is the reason we provide here an already fixed firmware.

Probably with newer updates it will be automatically solved, but for now this fix is working perfectly.

I dirty flashed the modified firmware file directly over my TW 4.4.2 installation, and I saw the phone has correctly get the update without any loosing of apps or datas... so my installation is exactly equivalent to a normal Sammy update.

Thanks for the attention.

Drady

Jan 17, 2014
The German rom seemed to work for me, no issues.

smeroni68

Jan 23, 2011
Milano
Flash procedure check...

German Vodafone have also broken WiFi...

Hi,
I have a doubt... let me explain.

When you flashed with Odin, the correct procedure I think is this one.

1) After flash complete the phone must restart automatically
2) at the first boot, the recovery must be automatically activated and a flash of a cached element must appear
3) after this recovery flash, the phone reboot automatically and finally start with rom initialization

I think that for @Drady this has happened, and I think also that for @Developer.WL this has not happened.

This recovery flash is the culprit (probably) that give as result the wifi working.

I saw this, because I prepared a modded firmware with removed the recovery.img, so my Odin flash has not installed the stock recovery, leaving twrp as recovery.

After my flash, the phone was just shutdown (no reboot). Remembering that recovery flash was also done for previous KK firmware, I switched on the phone by pressing the buttons Vol-up + Power + Home, and my phone has booted into twrp and has flashed the missing cache part, than the phone auto-rebooted correctly and the system is working as it must.

My suggestion to @Developer.WL, is to reflash the firmware, taking care that at the first boot the phone must go to recovery (flash is about a couple of seconds) and after this must reboot into the rom...

Please let us know if this solve the wifi issue.

Thanks for cooperation.

Last edited:

boggy27

Feb 20, 2013
Brasov

I am curious to try the official 5.0 even though i am waiting for the Nordic Countries(NEE) Release , ill just see if the WI-FI on German version works till than ..

yazsers

Dec 16, 2010
Arter97 aosp kernel

Is it possible to flash this kernel (link below) on this latest Official lollipop samsung release for i9506 ?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2691648

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

I have the answer : i9506 not supported for the moment by these kernels

smeroni68

Jan 23, 2011
Milano
I am curious to try the official 5.0 even though i am waiting for the Nordic Countries(NEE) Release , ill just see if the WI-FI on German version works till than ..

For your information, official 5.0.1 NEE has been released...

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Is it possible to flash this kernel (link below) on this latest Official lollipop samsung release for i9506 ?

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

Absolutely NOT!!! Arter kernel is AOSP based, Official Lollipop is TW...

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Your fixed ROM's link is dead. MediaFire says "Dangerous File Blocked". Please upload it to another cloud. :)

Thanks for the head-up... already requested to Mediafire to remove the block on download... file is safe, not dangerous...

Reactions: boggy27

ave20

Aug 22, 2017
I have LineageOS 13, TWRP and I want to ROOT my i9506. As I understand, I can't ROOT it on LineageOS 13 - I have to install official ROM, ROOT it, and then install LineageOS again, yes?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide help you to
    install the Samsung Lollipop TouchWiz and get the root permissions
    on Galaxy S4 GT-I9506

Do it on your own responsibility! and keep in mind that you will lose your warranty!​

Before you proceed, make sure:
    1) You have installed your Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9506 USB drivers on your PC (the easiest way is to install Kies)
    2) Your S4 should have 70-80% charge remaining.
    3) Backup all your important data like Call logs, SMS and other data stored in phone memory in case if anything goes wrong, your data is not hurt
    4) Make sure that Kies software is not running and disable your antivirus

Download the requirements:
    Click on each one for download
    -Odin software
    -Recovery TWRP "flashable"
    -SuperSu "flashable"
    -Samsung Lollipop Firmware from SAMMOBILE (only if you have KitKat installed)

WARNING! I FOUND PROBLEMS WITH SOME SAMMOBILE FIRMWARE'S READ BELOW

The Czech Republic - ETL firmware (I9506XXUDOA6_I9506OXXDOA1), has WiFi broken
    The Czech Republic (Vodafone) - VDC firmware (I9506XXUDOA6_I9506VFGDOA4), has wrong "Hidden" partition size

If you meet this problems you can download this official firmware from samsung updates site:
    Greece - EUR firmware (I9506XXUDOAA_I9506EURDOB1)
    BUILD DATE: 30.01.2015

How to install the firmware and root
    If you already have the Lollipop firmware installed: Skip to the Step 8

NOTE: I racommend you to do the wipe of cache, dalvik cache, system, data partitions before proceeding,
    this to prevent any problems with the apps (through recovery)

Step 1
    Unzip the downloaded firmware, you will get a tar.md5 file.

Step 2
    Turn OFF you mobile and go to Download Mode by pressing and holding the Power + Volume Down + Home Buttons.
    together for few seconds followed by Power button then proceed with volume up.

Step 3
    Now open ODIN on your PC and connect your Galaxy S4 to your computer.
    Once your phone is successfully connected to your PC, the ID:COM box on ODIN will turn blue (or yellow) and will show the COM port number.

Step 4
    Click on PDA (or AP) in Odin and choose the file ".tar.md5"

Step 5
    Check "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" options and make sure that "Re-Partition" is unchecked

Step 6
    Click on Start button in ODIN window to start the flashing process. The process will take few minutes to complete.

Step 7
    When the installation is completed, you read a "Reset " then a "Pass". your phone will restart (first boot will take a longer time so don't panic)

> Step 8
    now you have to do again all steps from Step 2, for flash the TWRP recovery needed for apply the ROOT,
    the only difference is when you arrive on Step 4 you must have to choose the TWRP Recovery ".tar.md5" downloaded file

Step 9
    Turn OFF you mobile and go to Recovery Mode by pressing and holding the Power + Volume Up + Home Buttons.

Step 10
    Connect the mobile with USB and copy the "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.45.zip" in the SD

Step 11
    Click on the "INSTALL" button, select "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.45.zip", and swipe to flash. After this reboot

Finish! Enjoy! :eek:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Odin troubleshooting: If Odin accidentally gives you "fail" try the following:
    - Repeat the procedure.
    - Make sure that all actions of Kies are disabled from task manager.
    - Make sure the antivirus is disabled
    - Change usb port.
    - Try another usb cable (make sure it is the original).
    - Try another Odin version.
    - Uninstall and re-install the USB driver.
    - Try another computer.

Titanium Backup does not recognize the root:
    - Install Titanium Backup version 7.0+

Titanium Backup does not recognize external SD:
    - Install SDFix app for applying the missing external SD card permissions

Thanks to samersh72 for the inspiration to create the guide
    The fixed firmware is finally ready for download!
    Thx for this guide! What about Knox value after manual flash?

Envoyé de mon LG-V500 en utilisant Tapatalk

After flash the warranty Knox is rightly marked,
    that's becouse i wrote that you lose the warranty,
    but this happens anyway if you perform unauthorized flash...

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Absolutely NOT!!! Arter kernel is AOSP based, Official Lollipop is TW...

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Your fixed ROM's link is dead. MediaFire says "Dangerous File Blocked". Please upload it to another cloud. :)

Thanks for the head-up... already requested to Mediafire to remove the block on download... file is safe, not dangerous...

Thank you! It has been released just today , that is great ! And thx for this helpfull post!