FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

USB Host / OTG

641 posts
Thanks Meter: 406
 
By Tomo123, Senior Member on 22nd August 2014, 08:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th December 2014, 08:46 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennymcc

Does that mean, you have not tried so far if OTG works for you? At least with my firmware (G800FXXU1ANJ2) it did not work - but it is possible (but unlikely) that official firmwares exist that already support OTG. Maybe you can test if OTG works and post your firmware version here.

OTG not working with firmware (G800FXXU1ANJ2) exactly same as yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennymcc

My smartphone is rooted but it should also work without root. You have to flash a new kernel (contained in a boot.img file) with Odin. Although this does not root your device it will probably trigger the KNOX counter and void your warranty. As only the kernel is replaced, the Android system and your data will survive - so you don't have to start again. But I would recommend to safe your data before, just in case flashing the kernel fails.

Why should we suffer an inferior phone when the OTG is there and just needs switching on! So Id have to find a Kernel with the OTG enabled? Or do you have one?

Thanks so much for your help
 
 
9th December 2014, 09:04 PM |#12  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,690
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoRepair

Why should we suffer an inferior phone when the OTG is there and just needs switching on! So Id have to find a Kernel with the OTG enabled? Or do you have one?

I already built a kernel with OTG support for the G800F. I will post the link and some notes as soon as I can open a new thread.
9th December 2014, 10:43 PM |#13  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,690
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jok3r

If you remove all the necessary files from the firmware G800h and act as a tester?
The processor also depends also support OTG? (Qualcomm - Exynos)

If you already rooted your G800H you could check which USB switch is built-into your device. Connect to your device via ssh or adb shell as root. Then connect an OTG cable (with a keyboard, mouse, ... plugged in) with your G800H. On the shell execute "dmesg" and search for lines with "OTG", "OTG DETECTED", "muic-sm5502", "muic" or "5502". If you have lines with "muic-sm5502" then at least you have the same USB-switch built-in. You can also put (parts of) the dmesg output in some pastebin and post the link here. Then I can have a quick look at it.
The Following User Says Thank You to hennymcc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hennymcc Ad-Free
9th December 2014, 11:11 PM |#14  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennymcc

I already built a kernel with OTG support for the G800F. I will post the link and some notes as soon as I can open a new thread.

Awesome thanks! :0)
10th December 2014, 01:19 AM |#15  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,690
 
More
An instruction how to flash the OTG kernel image is here:
[KERNEL][G800F][exynos][G800FXXU1ANG1] USB-OTG enabled kernel
The Following User Says Thank You to hennymcc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hennymcc Ad-Free
10th December 2014, 08:23 AM |#16  
da_jok3r's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennymcc

If you already rooted your G800H you could check which USB switch is built-into your device. Connect to your device via ssh or adb shell as root. Then connect an OTG cable (with a keyboard, mouse, ... plugged in) with your G800H. On the shell execute "dmesg" and search for lines with "OTG", "OTG DETECTED", "muic-sm5502", "muic" or "5502". If you have lines with "muic-sm5502" then at least you have the same USB-switch built-in. You can also put (parts of) the dmesg output in some pastebin and post the link here. Then I can have a quick look at it.

please see
There are references to the OTG
And here is the link to the OpenSource for g800h
http://opensource.samsung.com/recept...Value=SM-G800H
Attached Files
File Type: rar Desktop.rar - [Click for QR Code] (387.7 KB, 624 views)
21st January 2015, 10:17 AM |#17  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Cool
hello, sorry for asking, but...

i have a g800f (normal s5mini) with firmware g800fxxu1ang7, no updates since start. i have flashed this firmware and rooted with cf. but i miss the otg-option, so what to do and what are the experiences so far?
can i flash your kernel to my handy or do i have to flash first a special firmware? do i lose my settings etc. and have to set up the handy after flashing again? what if i want to go "back" for e.g. i recognize that your kernel has some side effects that i dont want do?
sorry for asking, but im not sure about flashing, actually my handy works like a charm but i want to have the otg.feature. btw...if the otg is enabled after flashing what when the handy falls in to water? at usb-connector should now be 5volt which is sure not good in water..maybe this is the cause why samsung disabled it - or was ist maybe of the android 4.4. rules (heard otg should no longer be supported)

pls...lighten my darkness
3rd February 2015, 05:29 AM |#18  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thean9el

hello, sorry for asking, but...

i have a g800f (normal s5mini) with firmware g800fxxu1ang7, no updates since start. i have flashed this firmware and rooted with cf. but i miss the otg-option, so what to do and what are the experiences so far?
can i flash your kernel to my handy or do i have to flash first a special firmware? do i lose my settings etc. and have to set up the handy after flashing again? what if i want to go "back" for e.g. i recognize that your kernel has some side effects that i dont want do?
sorry for asking, but im not sure about flashing, actually my handy works like a charm but i want to have the otg.feature. btw...if the otg is enabled after flashing what when the handy falls in to water? at usb-connector should now be 5volt which is sure not good in water..maybe this is the cause why samsung disabled it - or was ist maybe of the android 4.4. rules (heard otg should no longer be supported)

pls...lighten my darkness

I want it toooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
5th February 2015, 05:33 PM |#19  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Example
I wonder if anybody can test one of these OTG Y-cables without this patch and see if it works.
Perhaps they've only disabled the otg power out pins. It would make sense that they'd do that since we don't have the highly convenient port flaps unlike the s5. Without the flaps, the circuits would probably just bleed to death from short circuit or something.
Well, it works on the nexus where google disabled OTG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sku_155233_1.jpg
Views:	7932
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	3151430  
6th February 2015, 09:37 PM |#20  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,690
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahirh

I wonder if anybody can test one of these OTG Y-cables without this patch and see if it works.
Perhaps they've only disabled the otg power out pins. It would make sense that they'd do that since we don't have the highly convenient port flaps unlike the s5. Without the flaps, the circuits would probably just bleed to death from short circuit or something.
Well, it works on the nexus where google disabled OTG

You can try it - but it won't work. Without the patch the USB-OTG cable is detected by the kernel but the USB-host drivers are simply not loaded (because software support is deactivated).
In addition i don't know if such a cable will hurt the smartphone. I think I already used such a cable with my phone without damaging it but who knows (and you don't really need it because the phone powers the devices itself).
7th February 2015, 07:12 AM |#21  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
hennymcc

Hello.
You have not done a patch for OTG G800H? Do you have any plans Activities that?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
otg, s5 mini, usb

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes