FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

(How To / MOD) Microphone Gain Increase on All S5 Variants + Mod *Update 02/11/16

684 posts
Thanks Meter: 586
 
By thejester123, Senior Member on 31st August 2015, 03:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Well everybody, as it has been asked many times now so i bring you the guide to increase the ""Microphone Gain"" on lollipop.
You will need to make some changes to the mixer_paths.xml content located in system/etc.
Open in Notepad++ or editor of choice and search for <path name="rec-main-mic">.
See below for what to edit,be careful not to adjust more than the value stated.
Save and set permissions to 644 or rw-r-r then reboot.

<!-- ================================================== ==============>
<!-- Recording Scenario -->
<path name="rec-main-mic">
<path name="main-mic" />
<ctl name="DEC2 Volume" value="95" /> <------------- Increase Value to 106
</path>

<path name="rec-sub-mic">
<path name="sub-mic" />
<ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="94" /> <------------- Increase Value to 106
</path>

<path name="rec-headset-mic">
<path name="ear-mic" />
<ctl name="ADC2 Volume" value="14" />
<ctl name="DEC5 Volume" value="72" /> <------------- Increase Value to 106
</path>

<path name="rec-stereo-mic">
<ctl name="Main Mic Delay" value="4" />
<path name="sub-main-mic" />
<ctl name="DEC2 Volume" value="95" /> <------------- Increase Value to 106
<ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="94" /> <------------- Increase Value to 106
</path>

<path name="rec-high-gain-main-mic">
<path name="main-mic" />
<ctl name="DEC2 Volume" value="87" /> <------------- Increase Value to 106
</path>

<path name="rec-high-gain-sub-mic">
<path name="sub-mic" />
<ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="87" /> <------------- Increase Value to 106
</path>

<path name="rec-high-gain-headset-mic">
<path name="ear-mic" />
<ctl name="ADC2 Volume" value="14" />
<ctl name="DEC5 Volume" value="84" /> <------------- Increase Value to 106
</path>

<path name="rec-high-gain-stereo-mic">
<path name="sub-3rd-mic" />
<ctl name="DEC2 Volume" value="87" /> <------------- Increase Value to 106
<ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="87" /> <------------- Increase Value to 106
</path>

<path name="rec-NS-mic-interview">
<ctl name="ES705 TX1 Enable" value="1" />
<path name="main-sub-mic" />
<ctl name="DEC2 Volume" value="87" />
<ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="87" />
<ctl name="ES705-AP Tx Channels" value="One" />
<ctl name="Internal Route Config" value="7" />
</path>

<path name="rec-NS-mic-conversation">
<ctl name="ES705 TX1 Enable" value="1" />
<path name="main-sub-mic" />
<ctl name="DEC2 Volume" value="87" />
<ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="87" />
<ctl name="ES705-AP Tx Channels" value="One" />
<ctl name="Internal Route Config" value="8" />
</path>

<path name="rec-NS-mic-conference">
<path name="main-sub-mic" />
<ctl name="DEC2 Volume" value="87" />
<ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="87" />
</path>
<!-- end of Recording Scenario -->



You "WILL" have to reflash the mod after each ROM update

Hope this helps

Downloads:

Attached At Bottom Of Post

Versions Explained:

10.x version is just a standard up-scaled mic and speaker gain..

11.x Same as 10.x but uses the internal speaker as well as loud speaker for sound playback


Credits to: @byte9 @stalli0nUK @langeveld024 @oetzi83
The Following 57 Users Say Thank You to thejester123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thejester123 Ad-Free
 
 
31st August 2015, 04:02 PM |#2  
byte9's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag 192.168.1.1
Thanks Meter: 566
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester123


Credits to: @byte9

Ideally CM would take it serious and patch in upstream but they stand by "we use the same values as Samsung" which clearly is broken if ANY testing had been done.

Most people don't even catch the gain issue as the volume stands out a lot more. For me the fix comes with the xml and long term will probably be with a new phone.

Moto X Pure or Note 5 incoming.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to byte9 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift byte9 Ad-Free
31st August 2015, 07:19 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 140
 
More
Can you also make a file for better (very) loud recordings?

Can you also edit, that in normal recording volume its like on stock?
31st August 2015, 08:46 PM |#4  
thejester123's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Sheffield
Thanks Meter: 586
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoberus

Can you also make a file for better (very) loud recordings?

Can you also edit, that in normal recording volume its like on stock?

I will upload a "Stock" version but if you backup your original before flashing the zip then you can always reverse the changes . The recording mic gain is pretty loud in my mod, you can increase it more but I do not recommend this at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to thejester123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thejester123 Ad-Free
31st August 2015, 08:51 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 140
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester123

I will upload a "Stock" version but if you backup your original before flashing the zip then you can always reverse the changes . The recording mic gain is pretty loud in my mod, you can increase it more but I do not recommend this at all.

Sorry, I think I writed it a little bit wrong.
I mean a zip to record in loud places, not loud audiofiles. For example, at a concert
But the mic volume on phonecalls and peaceful surroundings should like stock, is this possible?
The Following User Says Thank You to phoberus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift phoberus Ad-Free
1st September 2015, 12:28 AM |#6  
j1gga84's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bremen
Thanks Meter: 2,238
 
More
Okay, I tried the modified file for one day and it is a bit too loud for me. When I was driving and you had driving sound in the background while recording a voice message in WhatsApp it sounds very distorted.. When it is quiet around you it is very good. Is there anything I can do against this? Maybe lower the values a bit? So if I lower it do I have to lower all values?

The microphone is definitely not as good as my galaxy S2's microphone, that has a superb audio quality.. I guess Samsung makes savings on microphone quality or it is limited by settings..
I don't know if it would be helpful to send you the xml File of my S2 to compare the values. There I had installed CM11 and sound was great

Regards

Sent from my GT-I9100 using german Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to j1gga84 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift j1gga84 Ad-Free
1st September 2015, 01:06 AM |#7  
thejester123's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Sheffield
Thanks Meter: 586
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gga84

Okay, I tried the modified file for one day and it is a bit too loud for me. When I was driving and you had driving sound in the background while recording a voice message in WhatsApp it sounds very distorted.. When it is quiet around you it is very good. Is there anything I can do against this? Maybe lower the values a bit? So if I lower it do I have to lower all values?

The microphone is definitely not as good as my galaxy S2's microphone, that has a superb audio quality.. I guess Samsung makes savings on microphone quality or it is limited by settings..
I don't know if it would be helpful to send you the xml File of my S2 to compare the values. There I had installed CM11 and sound was great

Regards

Sent from my GT-I9100 using german Tapatalk 4

You can send it and I will compare the two files, I will take a look at lowering the values and see where we can improve the quality , thanks for the feedback..
The Following User Says Thank You to thejester123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thejester123 Ad-Free
1st September 2015, 01:17 AM |#8  
thejester123's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Sheffield
Thanks Meter: 586
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoberus

Sorry, I think I writed it a little bit wrong.
I mean a zip to record in loud places, not loud audiofiles. For example, at a concert
But the mic volume on phonecalls and peaceful surroundings should like stock, is this possible?

The mod does not affect the mic during phone calls, that remains untouched. I am looking into making it a little more audible in loud environments.
The Following User Says Thank You to thejester123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thejester123 Ad-Free
1st September 2015, 11:01 AM |#9  
thejester123's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Sheffield
Thanks Meter: 586
 
Donate to Me
More
http://d-h.st/zQOs <-- Right I have given this one a test round my screaming kids and there is minimal if an distortion when making whatsapp voice messages @j1gga84 . Will update OP later on today...
1st September 2015, 11:01 AM |#10  
j1gga84's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bremen
Thanks Meter: 2,238
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester123

You can send it and I will compare the two files, I will take a look at lowering the values and see where we can improve the quality , thanks for the feedback..

Many thanks, I will send you the file after work today evening

regards
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j1gga84 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift j1gga84 Ad-Free
1st September 2015, 04:18 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 608
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester123

The mod does not affect the mic during phone calls, that remains untouched. I am looking into making it a little more audible in loud environments.

Just to clarify.......This mod does not change ANYTHING for your average phone call conversation. Correct?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes